Judging people and their weight

Replies

• fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    You look ignorant right now.
    Your Dunning-Kruger syndrome is duly noted.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    30% of this country today is now considered overweight or obese. That didn't come from medication, some type of tumor, or some unknown disease. It comes from overeating. Our consuming more calories than they're burning.

I get so tired of listening about depression, baby weight gain, this and that. Everyone has issues in their lives. There are hurdles through-out life, that will cause emotional issues. Our parents and grandparents went through the same kinds of things, but they didn't get fat over them.

If people continue to use food as comfort, versus taking it out on a punching bag, this nation will continue to get fatter, and they will get real associated disease--such as type 2 diabetes and their life span will be shorter than their parents and grandparents.
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    what bothers me the most is people that have excuses....I dont have time to exercise, my back hurts. my feet hurt, I have this and that wrong with me...all bs

Eh, wrong. Not all medical issues are BS. Some individuals actually do have exercise limitations and/or are not allowed to exercise all together.

You're so right...medical issues are for real. I'd love to get out there and walk...I've tried, but the pain is even worse. I'm anxiously awaiting a total of 5 shots to assist the pain medication I'm taking. I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'll be totally pain free, but if this cuts it by half, I'll be in business. In the meantime, I'm doing my darndest to control what I eat. Those of you who don't have medical issues at this point are blessed; but believe me, as you grow older, you'll know firsthand what I'm talking about. Enjoy your youthful bodies while you can, and take good care of them. The ravages of time creep up on you sooner than you think!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    what bothers me the most is people that have excuses....I dont have time to exercise, my back hurts. my feet hurt, I have this and that wrong with me...all bs

Eh, wrong. Not all medical issues are BS. Some individuals actually do have exercise limitations and/or are not allowed to exercise all together.

You're so right...medical issues are for real. I'd love to get out there and walk...I've tried, but the pain is even worse. I'm anxiously awaiting a total of 5 shots to assist the pain medication I'm taking. I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'll be totally pain free, but if this cuts it by half, I'll be in business. In the meantime, I'm doing my darndest to control what I eat. Those of you who don't have medical issues at this point are blessed; but believe me, as you grow older, you'll know firsthand what I'm talking about. Enjoy your youthful bodies while you can, and take good care of them. The ravages of time creep up on you sooner than you think!

I hope you get enough relief from the shots that you are able to go out and walk!! Even if it's only for a couple minutes. Something is better than nothing, right?! Best of luck! :smile: :heart:
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    I don't want to be fat. Oh, how I hate being fat. Somedays I can't look in a mirror because of it. Somedays I get anxiety about just leaving the house because of it.
    But I will be the first to admit that I was once full of excuses for being fat: It's in my genes. I have emotional issues stemming from being abused as a child and learned from a very early age that food could comfort me. I work full time and have 2 small children so it's hard to find the time to exercise. And so on and so forth.
    I have finally reached a place where I know now that the excuses listed above are just that: excuses. They are obstacles, yes. They are challenges, yes. But are they insurmountable? NO.
    None of us WANT to be fat. But yes, if you strip it down to bare bones, I am fat because of choices I have made in my life. I see that, I admit that. It can be hard to accept, but I have, and I am grateful that I have. However that doesn't diminish those challenges I face. It doesn't make the journey to being healthy any less difficult for me.
    So basically what I am saying is that I do agree with those who say being fat is a choice. But it still hurts to hear that, even though I know deep down it's true.

Said it better than I ever could. I did this to myself. I'm an adult and I posess full reasoning capacity. Admitting it was my fault, that's when I was able to start changing.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member

Oh goodness, what kind of shots are you taking? I've been through a lot of issues with pain and now get trigger point injections to somewhat assist. They don't last long though.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    I became over weight bc I was suffering from depression. I chose not to work through my problems because being fat was easier than dealing with the truth and the things I had to change. I did this for 10 years. When I decided to work on my depression issues the weight started coming off. I worked hard to get it off but working through my issues at the same time has helped me keep it off. As I kept working on things, I kept losing. Yes people don't generally "want to be fat" BUT ALOT CHOOSE TO BE FAT. I chose to be fat via the way I dealt with problems and turning to food. I will NEVER let things build up in me like I used to, and with that said I will NEVER become fat again for those same reasons. Other than a medical reason or a pregnancy, I feel I wont have to deal with being fat again.
  • AllzahGoddess
    AllzahGoddess Posts: 2 Member
    There is a lot of assuming going on with these replies. Such as the possibility that people are able to attain some kind of help for their depression or obsessive issues or eating disorder. There are a lot of people self medicating with things - some booze, some drugs, some self-harming - others, it's food. Two kinds of people say you want to be fat or choose to be fat: People who have never been fat or people who have lost a lot of weight.

It's narcissistic to assume everybody can do something about it at any given time in their life. I don't believe that is true. Eventually maybe they can, but today they don't want to be fat but also cannot find a way to not be fat.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    There just seems to be a strange emphasis on distinguishing between a medication-related weight gain (I'm offended, because in my case it was not my fault!) and the types of struggles that SezxyStef wrote about, for example. And lots of people gain weight after being thin because their TDEE decreases. This can be related to medication, definitely, but it can be related to an injury, job issues, getting older, so on. Heck, my mother claimed that she couldn't quit smoking for years because it always caused her to gain weight. (Not saying it's the same thing.)

Again, I don't really see the point of buying into this idea of "fault" or "shame" for being fat anyway. There are reasons, and maybe the answer is unacceptable to you--having to eat super low calorie or give up needed medication certainly seems a bad set of choices--but if someone else is happy making a choice you wouldn't, why does that become blameworthy fatness? I think the point of the first comment (although I kind of think the guess that the "doctor" was House might be right) was that the much more common feeling of powerlessness is not accurate. That's less applicable to someone who has specific medical issues he or she is in the process of examining or working on as someone who just does nothing (or the same unhelpful thing over and over) and complains that she's just unlucky or naturally fat or whatever. I think that person does feel helpless and isn't. And unlike the comments here, I do feel sorry for that person (although I hate being felt sorry for myself, so feel kind of bad about that), since feeling powerless and entirely out of control as to what is happening to you is terrible.

I don't know that anyone's blaming the *fatness*, but they're definitely challenging the attitudes that sustain it.

It's genuinely frustrating to see so many people on this thread say in effect 'I was just like you, but I changed my attitude, modified my behaviors, made better choices, and experienced real progress' and then seeing replies in the vein of 'what do you know? You were just lucky, it won't work for me'.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    In all honesty, who on here has medical issues because of their weight and how many of those issues will be reduced or go away when then extra weight is gone? I am asking this because most of the people iknow that are obese have a lot of health issues but more physically fit people in my family and friends only have your general wear and tear issues that come with age.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Two kinds of people say you want to be fat or choose to be fat: People who have never been fat or people who have lost a lot of weight.

This is not true. When I was fat (fatter than I am now, anyway), I knew losing weight was possible and that I was doing things that were causing me to gain. I somewhat consciously and somewhat subconsciously decided that stopping those things, or doing the things that were needed to lose, were not worth the cost. Now, some of the cost was just pleasure--I was tired and wanted a treat or to call for Indian food or just didn't feel like working out when I was out of shape and knew it would be unrewarding at first. But others were more justifiable cost-benefit analyses, IMO--it would take away from attention I was throwing into a huge work project or, and this one is a trade-off I'd probably make again, I had recently stopped drinking and was afraid that not allowing myself to compensate some by using food would make it harder to sustain my tenuous early sobriety. Maybe those were decisions others would have dealt with differently, maybe I would have been better off to make different choices, I don't know or particularly care. The fact is that they were choices, though. A lot of people, like me, are fat because either they are okay with it, dislike the alternatives (or what they assume are the alternatives) more, or don't understand or believe they can change it. That last one is what I'd like to challenge, and what I think is an attitude that is hurting people.
    It's narcissistic to assume everybody can do something about it at any given time in their life. I don't believe that is true. Eventually maybe they can, but today they don't want to be fat but also cannot find a way to not be fat.

They almost certainly could in most cases. If they choose not to, that's okay too, but this idea that fat people are all miserable and helpless is wrong and really quite demeaning.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    lulz, that's not what narcissism means.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    In all honesty, who on here has medical issues because of their weight and how many of those issues will be reduced or go away when then extra weight is gone? I am asking this because most of the people iknow that are obese have a lot of health issues but more physically fit people in my family and friends only have your general wear and tear issues that come with age.

I know my pain will be lessoned with loss of weight but everything else has been rolling since I was a healthy weight. The pain started prior to the weight gain as well but has been severely aggrivated by it. So far not at risk for anything else, had a biometric screening recently and cholesterol, HR, blood pressure, glucose all of it is perfect.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Me...a host of them.

I don't think most people want to be fat but their choices show they don't want to be smaller bad enough. And those that are arguing that meds or medical issues prevent weight loss (you don't need to exercise to lose weight) if you choose to believe that (and apparently a few are going to hang onto that come hell or high water) so be it...but that being said...it's a choice.

Am I judging you due to your weight absolutely not, at this point I feel bad for anyone who is unsuccessfully trying to lose for whatever reason, been there done that..it sucks but unless you are willing to allow for further learnings...it's all on you.

But realize this...these forums have a lot of highly educated and intelligent people here with more letters behind their names than you can imagine and a lot of the information they put forth is not based on personal experience it is based on knowledge, education, research and a whole host of other things. This also applies to some that don't have letters behind their names but educate themselves through research and reading and listening and learning from those that know more.

So that being said...open up your minds and allow for education, read, research, listen, ask questions here and you will be surprised at what happens when you do just that...and with that I am out.
  • MichelleV1990

I hope you get enough relief from the shots that you are able to go out and walk!! Even if it's only for a couple minutes. Something is better than nothing, right?! Best of luck! :smile: :heart:

Thank you, Sweetie! I appreciate it! To all of you who have medical issues, I'm hoping you find relief, too! It's very difficult when you have more than one demon to slay at a time, but don't give up; there's got to be some help out there somewhere!
  • MichelleV1990

Oh goodness, what kind of shots are you taking? I've been through a lot of issues with pain and now get trigger point injections to somewhat assist. They don't last long though.

The pain clinic is sending me for 2 shots to the hip, then 3 to the lower spine. I'm assuming it's cortisone. Guess I should have asked, but at this point, I'd let them inject snake venom if it would do the trick! I've been told that while everyone is different, some people get relief for at least a year.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    For those feeling insulted by people arguing for basic energy principals and for making the changes needed, you need to read the thread again.....I just did, all I saw was a few dismissing the hard work and obstacles overcame by some successful people as "luck". The condescending and excuses are insane.

Want to understand BMR...

http://www.fao.org/docrep/meeting/004/m2845e/m2845e00.htm

And

http://www.fao.org/docrep/007/y5686e/y5686e07.htm

From the second link....

"Extremes of low and high PALs. Extremely low levels of energy expenditure allow for survival, but they are not compatible with long-term health, moving around freely, or earning a living. Such levels have been reported, for example, in elderly mental patients (Prentice et al., 1989), adolescents with cerebral palsy or myelodysplasia (Bandini et al., 1991) and resting adults confined to a whole body calorimeter (Ravussin et al., 1991; Schulz et al., 1992). The mean PAL of 1.21, which is similar to the baseline energy need of 1.27 estimated in the 1985 report, is suggested for short-term survival of totally inactive dependent people in conditions of crisis (WHO, 1985). The present consultation felt that such a value is too low and should not be used in emergency relief programmes, as people are not completely inactive in situations of crisis and the various stresses that impinge on them may increase their energy demands. The consultation hence suggests that food supplies to satisfy a PAL of 1.40, which represents the lower limit of the sedentary lifestyle range shown in Table 5.3, would be more appropriate for short-term relief interventions.

At the other end of the scale, studies have shown PAL values as high as 4.5 to 4.7 during three weeks of competitive cycling (Westerterp et al., 1986), or hauling sleds across the Arctic (Stroud, Coward and Sawyer, 1993). However, such levels of energy expenditure are not sustainable in the long term."

Yes meds and medical conditions can effect BMR and TDEE (energy and appetite) but not to the point of defying the laws of physics.... EVER. Otherwise we would have a cure for world hunger and starvation.

As for the OP, are most fat by choice.... I believe yes but not necessarily a conscience decision. The mental attitude and balance are most likely the most important parts to weight loss. When someone deals with any mental issues (medical diagnosis) or blocks they have the rest is just the desire, will and effort to meet their goals.

I find it really funny when some argue points without proof and don't realize they are arguing with someone working in the field they are arguing about.

As for the person with a BMR of 900, if you got out of bed and moved around your TDEE would have been about 1400-1600 so if you ate 1200 you would have had a 300 calorie deficient and lost weight. Also just looking at the math to maintain organs, unless you were 100lbs or less your BMR was NOT 900 and you TDEE definitely wasn't.... TDEE is the number to eat under to lose weight.....if your going to argue know the definitions. You could eat BMR and lose weight if you got out of bed and peed a few times a day.

If I am wrong (which happens:grumble: don't tell my husband :noway: ) your medical reports should be sent to the WHO asap, they could maybe use the info to help people in starving areas subsist and remain healthy at a lower caloric intake.
  • fattymcrunnerpants

The pain clinic is sending me for 2 shots to the hip, then 3 to the lower spine. I'm assuming it's cortisone. Guess I should have asked, but at this point, I'd let them inject snake venom if it would do the trick! I've been told that while everyone is different, some people get relief for at least a year.

Ah ok. I so hear you. I let them do some sort of inter abdominal shot a few months ago where the doctor injected lidocaine between the muscle tissue and the skin/ fat layer. That was scary. It really sucks taking pills every day just to be able to move. Not even pain free, but to be able to.
  • fattymcrunnerpants

If I am wrong (which happens:grumble: don't tell my husband :noway: ) your medical reports should be sent to the WHO asap, they could maybe use the info to help people in starving areas subsist and remain healthy at a lower caloric intake.

Well, therein lies the fallicy "subsit and REMAIN HEALTHY". Yeah, no one's arguing that while those symptomes were happening that they were healthy. At the point in time that I had gained quickly I was in renal failure. I don't think even in starving areas they want to gain weight only to die because their kidneys and adrenal glands aren't working.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member

Well, therein lies the fallicy "subsit and REMAIN HEALTHY". Yeah, no one's arguing that while those symptomes were happening that they were healthy. At the point in time that I had gained quickly I was in renal failure. I don't think even in starving areas they want to gain weight only to die because their kidneys and adrenal glands aren't working.

It was not just in reference to you.....but if you gained 60lbs of fat in 3 months that would be 3,500 calories x 60=210,000 then divided by 92 (we'll say two 31 day months) = 2282.61 calories over TDEE per day. That would mean for the laws of energy to stand you had a TDEE in the negative and ALL calories you consumed turned to fat.

A calorie is a unit of energy, energy can NOT be created out of nothing or disappear.... It must be converted.

Renal failure can cause mass water retention..... Its what the kidneys do so a lot of the weight could have been water.

Also anything that can rewrite the laws of energy, would benefit humanity. If they looked at someone that gains on 1000 per day in a coma then that would mean they could maintain organ function at a much lower rate than currently believed. Also no more energy crisis if energy could just appear :drinker:

I will need to find the article but even the most extreme and rare metabolic disorders only lower BMR by about 10%. ***//strike through obviously doesn't work :grumble: //***

I also meant by healthy, not have system failure ie: not die.........in reference to crisis situations this is the main goal.

Eta: having trouble finding the one study but.....

http://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people.html#ref1

This articles has the studies linked and does a good job of explaining why most are not the special snowflakes that defy science that they think they are.

Also my view is that medical, psychological and medications can make weight loss extremely difficult but the laws of energy still stand and calorie in vs out is all that matters for the actual numbers.

bb-yeah-science.gif