How do you burn 1000 calories by exercise per day?

Options

Replies

• Ansin529
    Ansin529 Posts: 47
    Options
    Would you be willing to share what specific diet you have attempted...I ask with the most sincere intentions...A balanced diet will allow you to eat all through the day and never feel hungry...Matter a fact, I have to force myself to eat more and it leave me with a terrible feeling...This is my second attempt at life change and this time, I will not accept failure...

I eat a high protein, low carb/sugar diet...I am happy to share my diet with you as well...You can lose a solid 1-2 pounds per week with a mere 500 calorie deficit... Exercise/strength training will assist with muscle development...Muscle will assist your body in burning more calories each day...

I am sure that may be able to explain it in a better way...Sharing your diary will truly allow others to assist and or make recommendations...

Stay strong... :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 2 lbs per week, by exercising strictly, because dieting is not working for me.
    Define "dieting".....and why isn't it working for you?

I'm about your age, I eat 1800-2000 cals a day, and I've never ever burned 1000 cals through exercise in the past three or more years. And I've managed to reach goal weight, lose several sizes, plenty of fat, and have kept it off for more than two years now.

Honestly - reasonable calorie deficit for weight loss (or more specifically FAT loss), exercise for fitness. You don't have to eat a certain way or eliminate a food group, or carbs, or eat clean, avoid white foods or whatever - calorie deficit is all it takes. And I still eat pizza, burgers, rice, pasta, ice cream, drink alcohol, etc.

Edited to add: trying to burn 1000 cals a day is going to take up a lot of your time to reach that daily goal - not to mention accounting for fueling such a workout....in which case you might as well just focus on eating the right number of cals to begin with, do a shorter, quality workout (I recommend lifting heavy, or at least some form of weight/strength/resistance training & throw in a little cardio that you enjoy), eating the proper number of cals, and being patient. This is more along the lines of lifestyle change and sustainable loss.
  • RunningMyPugandPapi
    RunningMyPugandPapi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There are a few gyms in my area called "Orange Theory Fitness" that claim those kinds of calories burned after a 60-minute workout. Of course, that's using their monitors, so that may be about as accurate as the treadmill's calorie count ;).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure and log your intake?? Just curious why the diet part is not working as you say... I have always kept the exercise separate from the diet part... I lost weight with a deficit and exercised for fitness......
    I weigh 170 lbs which means I burn about 1700 to sustain, in order for me to have a deficit of 500 calories a day I would have to consume 1200 calories a day, which has been very difficult for me.

Those 1700ish calories would be a non-exercise maintenance number...guess what happens when you exercise (and no, you don't need to burn off 1,000)? That maintenance number goes up....and guess what....so does the amount you can eat to still lose weight.

You're not appropriately accounting for exercise activity and obviously not understanding how that activity directly correlates to your energy needs as a whole.
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I weigh 170 lbs which means I burn about 1700 to sustain, in order for me to have a deficit of 500 calories a day I would have to consume 1200 calories a day, which has been very difficult for me.
    [/quote]

I don't know your height but I am 168cm and about 140 pounds and I have to eat 1950 per day to maintain? Where did you get the 1700 from? If it is MFP don't forget you are meant to eat back your exercise calories so you will be eating 1200 NET a day.

Try plugging your info into here and double check the numbers (apologies if you already have they just seem quite low)

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure and log your intake?? Just curious why the diet part is not working as you say... I have always kept the exercise separate from the diet part... I lost weight with a deficit and exercised for fitness......

I hike (walk) 4 miles with 1200 ft of elevation change (800 feet on a map but the trail goes up and down the same 100 feet repeatedly) for about 700 calories, or 6 miles with about 1400 feet of elevation for about 1000 calories. The first hike takes about 100 minutes and the second takes about 150 minutes.

Do you really have the time for such an ambitious schedule? I don't do these every day, but they do let me eat a lot. I have to be careful though because I'm missing a chunk of ankle joint surface and one mis-step could strand me out there and leave me on crutches for weeks.
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options

It sounds like 2lbs a week isn't a sustainable goal for you then. Take it down to 1lb a week or even .5lbs. It doesn't sound like much but keep to it and after a few weeks of losing .5 with a .5 loss goal you'll be better off than if you don't meet a 2lb loss goal because it's too much for you.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I bike every day for hours. I get easily 1000 calories a day. Running burns a lot too.

I do not know how much time you have . I am retired, so I have all the time in the world.
  • cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    hate to break it to you, but if you're having a hard time sticking to eating fewer calories, you're probably also going to have a hard time sticking to burning 1,000 calories a day.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have an HRM and a BodyMedia, the HRM shows that I hardly burning any calories when exercising, for example yesterday it showed that I burned 250 calories in a one hour zumba class which does not make sense.

What was your average heart rate during that hour? It would have to be pretty high if you expect to burn more than that at your weight. Also, you said that you "burn 1700 a day." Are you saying that's your TDEE or your have you had your BMR measured? Your profile says that you've tried "every diet out there." Dieting is a sure fire way to slow down your metabolism. You might want to try eating at maintenance for a while and give yourself a rest. Even check out the the Eat More to Weight Less group.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    So, you want to burn 7000 calories a week to lose 2 lbs per week by exercise alone since dieting isn't working?

You might last a week...maybe.

Depending on your weight and health status, 20-30 stationary bike medium to high effort, then 35-40 minutes elliptical medium to high effort, then 30 - 40 minutes treadmill medium to high effort with medium incline, then 20 minutes of prowler sprints of at least 30 yards up and down. Wear a heart rate monitor and adjust accordingly.

If you planned on heavy lifting for body composition, then you can't really get an accurate burn count, so that's going to have to be extra.

NOW...if you want success, eat a deficit AND do some of the exercises I listed above, add some heavy lifting...it doesn't have to be a whole lot at first, but enough to make sure you know you've done it. Include squats, dead lifts, bench press or some variation of those lifts on alternating days to work both upper and lower body. Do these at least 3 times a week, while eating at a healthy deficit and tracking everything. Sprinkle in some patience and determination and you'll be amazed where you will be a year from now.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    At 200 pounds, 1000 calories requires 16 miles of walking or 8 miles of running or 30 miles of cycling.

Plus or minus.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Your deficit's not working because you're not weighing your solids and you're not logging everything accurately.

To know if you're really burning 1000 cal/day is going to require the same honesty and accuracy that logging your food does.

Sorry; I don't want to be mean about this, but you're not going to find results with either method if you're not going to make a proper effort.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Most people do it by lying.

45 minutes cleaning, vigorous effort: 9013 calories.

This!!!! lol. Invest in a HRM please. For the love of all that is good. One with a chest strap. As I mentioned above. MFP overestimates.

So do HRMs on pretty much everything except running.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bicycling 20 miles at a decent clip (about one and a half hours) is one lower impact way to do it. But, unless you're in really good shape, you might last a day or so, but you'll be sore the rest of the week and you'll be hungry enough to eat back all or more of the calorie that you burned.

I do a 10 mile fast paced ride (40-45 minutes) about once a week and that is one day that I eat all of my calories including the 500 or so I burned and still go into the red eating most if not all of that day's deficit.

Exercise is great for lots of things, but for weight loss nothing beats a calorie deficit.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I personally think you should reduce your goal of trying to lose 2 lbs. a week. I would set a goal of 1/2lb. to 1lb. per week no more, you only weigh 170 lbs. and don't have a large amount of weight to lose. Go invest in a food scale and measure and weigh out your food and log everything... Start tracking your caloric intake at a maintenance level for a few weeks and then once you know your maintenance then subtract 100 calories from your daily intake and stay there for 2 to 3 weeks tracking everything and see how your weight loss is going but I would not increase your deficit by more than 250 a day which would be a pound a week... Don't think of this as a sprint, think more long term. you are going to do this for the rest of your life so don't be in such a big hurry to get there.... It took me 3 years and 3 months to lose 300 pounds and I have been on the other side of weight loss since Sept of 2012 and am doing fine because my routine is just my daily life..... also keep in mind if you are doing this method and you do exercise you should be eating back some of those exercise calories to fuel your body for the workouts that you are demanding of it which will allow you to have a bigger caloric intake which means you won't need to be eating at such a low level...... Finding maintenance is where I would start so you know for sure what your caloric intake is..... Best of Luck
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    No one will even read this far down, so i'm not sure why i'm even bothering.... but the fact is unless you are extremely overweight or plan to devote hours upon hours each day to high intensity training, you can't burn 1000kcals a day from exercise alone.

for reference, i'm 5'8" and ~155lbs. i train 3 days a week for about 90 minutes and look at my exercise log for the lifts/weights i'm doing. I have estimated my TDEE to be about 2735kcals a day averaged out.... and based on online BMR estimators at my current bodyfat % and age, i'm around 1650-1750kcals.... So essentially i burn about 1000kcals a day from exercise and just living my life. exercise alone? probably half that at best...

That said, do you think you could then double the exercise level i do and keep this level of training up long term? maybe if you weighed like 500+lbs, then you might be at a better spot to burn such a high level of calories from exercise alone, but it doesn't appear to be the case from your photo. Not to mention if you were 500+ you probably wouldn't have the mobility required to train that hard/long.

So all in all, if you are serious about losing weight, and you think 'dieting doesn't work' you need to really lock down your diet. weigh your foods and log everything. its basic math/physics when it comes down to it. anyone telling you different is living in denial.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Get on the elliptical for 2 hours (120 minutes).
  • gsallit
    gsallit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Get on the elliptical for 2 hours (120 minutes).

I will try this, thanks!
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Most people do it by lying.

45 minutes cleaning, vigorous effort: 9013 calories.

This!!!! lol. Invest in a HRM please. For the love of all that is good. One with a chest strap. As I mentioned above. MFP overestimates.
    I have an HRM and a BodyMedia, the HRM shows that I hardly burning any calories when exercising, for example yesterday it showed that I burned 250 calories in a one hour zumba class which does not make sense.

Now I love Zumba but despite what the commercials say 1,000 calories an hour probably isn't going to happen. I know I don't hit all the steps.

Adding weight training will help.

I try and break it up and walk (and do stairs) throughout the day in addition to working out, per MFP I got 1,400 today so it is probably closer to 700.