Congratulating MFP friends who make bad choices

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Just because I'm losing weight doesn't mean I have to give up on pizza (a Friday night tradition in my family), fast food (which I eat every Thursday for dinner because it's 9:30 when I get home), and sweets. I've just learned how to make better choices that fit into my calories.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every Wednesday night, I have a half of a frozen thin crust pizza that I add extra protein to with a side of Pringles for dinner.

Pretty much every Monday afternoon, I go to the movies where I have a large popcorn for lunch with lots of flavored salt (love that parmesan garlic stuff and hate that Tuesday morning sodium bloat!).

I believe in everything in moderation and fitting it in my calorie goals (still working on fitting stuff in my macro goals). If I told myself I couldn't have something I wanted, I would have lasted two or three months and then gained everything back just like I have every other time I have failed.

To the OP, when people are making sure that they still log everything (even with the possibility of knowing that there is a person on their FL who is judging them for their choices), they are making sure that they are accountable for everything which is a big step. Criticism like yours may only encourage them to stop logging and then stop realizing that they are going over their goals for the day. Unless someone asks for that type of extra critical judgment from you, it probably isn't welcome.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Mayor McCheese is upset with the OP.

mayor_mccheese.png
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Shoot, Monday & Tuesday I had Arby's for lunch and yesterday I had Taco Bell, Pizza and Cupcakes. Today there will be more cupcakes eaten (Birthdays and all that).

Cupcakes....yummmmm...Where are you? I will help you sing Happy Birthday and share in the miracle that is buttercream frosting! :flowerforyou:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    OP is not on my FL, but I feel like I should congratulate him on making this thread.
    GOOD_JOB_by_Inkmo.jpg
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This is hands down the best thread I've read in days. It was the first thing I pulled up at work this morning, to see what had taken place after I went to bed last night.

OP, thanks for the entertainment. It's keeping me occupied and my hand out of the candy bowl ;)

PS: I have some mini Snickers and Reeses here in my office. Come on over, y'all.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the rest of the replies, but excuse me? That's crap. I eat what I want. I am still losing weight. Just because it's not something you would eat doesn't mean I can't. McDonalds and Nestle chocolate chip cookies are on my diary from yesterday, and I was below my calories and hit my protein goals. My way may not be your way, so mind your own business.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    Does anyone honestly think a big Mac, large fry and coke is healthy? Stop trying to justify self destructive eating that causes obesity, it is an argument that can't be won. Successfully losing weight means eating nutritious foods without excessive calories, saturated fat and processed sugar. It is a simple formula that works when people learn to make better choices and stay out of the drive up lane. I am not the food police, I dont care if you eat it, but I won't applaud you for doing it.

Yes I do honestly think a Big Mac, large frys and coke can be healthy as PART of an overall balanced diet.

No I do not think eating ONLY those things is healthy - but is anyone doing that??
    I also don't think eating those foods, in itself, is self destructive or causes obesity.

I don't agree that 'successfully losing weight means eating nutritious foods without excessive calories, saturated fat and processed sugar"
    Of course one can successfully lose weight doing that but it is not a necessary component.
    All that is necessary is to eat less than you burn. The formula is that simple.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    McDonalds1_zpsd3073e02.jpg
    I like McDonalds and pizza!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    And this is why my diary is closed.

I have enough issues with food without having people judge me on what I chose to eat that day. I do my best to hit my macros, but sometimes I have an off day (which are better than my pre-MFP days anyway). It doesn't mean I've fallen off the wagon, but commenting on it might just push me off of it.

(I didn't read the thread before posting, so sorry if the conversation has morphed. I usually do read it before commenting, but this one pissed me off)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Does anyone honestly think a big Mac, large fry and coke is healthy? Stop trying to justify self destructive eating that causes obesity, it is an argument that can't be won. Successfully losing weight means eating nutritious foods without excessive calories, saturated fat and processed sugar. It is a simple formula that works when people learn to make better choices and stay out of the drive up lane. I am not the food police, I dont care if you eat it, but I won't applaud you for doing it.

Context....its important.. Also, you are basically wrong.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else craving pizza now?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost." — Dalai Lama
  • cj778449
    cj778449 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Eh it's none of my business what any of my "friends" do. If they do something great I have no problem giving encouragement. If they do something I don't agree with I don't comment. Honestly, the only time I feel it'd be appropriate to reach out to someone is if I see they haven't logged in days or weeks. I'm not a counselor, nutritionist, or fitness coach and I'm still learning as I go so I'm not in the position to be giving out advice just because I've lost a few pounds.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

But one slice will ruin everything and have you delete from OP Friend list.
  • andreahaskea
    Options
    I agree! My family will sit and WATCH me eat something they know I shouldn't or that I am trying to avoid and will say things like "It's ok this once" or "Everyone deserves a cheat day". This is not being supportive! This is being destructive to my choice of fitness lifestyle! And unfortunately I don't have many MFP friends to smack my hand so to speak...LOL
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Options
    This is a bit of a problem around here.

Too many times I see a diary full of McDonalds, and other junk, sweeties and pastries and so called "friends" like the diary and say things like "Great Logging!", "Well done!", or "Yummy day!".

We are all here to encourage each other to become healthier. If your MFP friend is falling off the wagon, it is your job to remind them that they are making a choice that is bad for them. Maybe they are letting old ways creep back in without realising it?

Do your friends a favour and let them know that they are going wrong. I would expect the same for the rest of my friends on MFP. Be hard on me if you see a slice of Pizza or a McDonalds happy meal on my diary!

It's time to stop blindly congratulating people on making bad choices that can ultimately lead to lower quality of life and ultimately, death!

Edit: I know I sound grumpy and normally I am not. Just concerned that's all :)
    Yeah....I'd delete you in a heartbeat if you yelled at me for eating pizza. Do what you want to do, but let me do what I want. I've managed to lose over 50 pounds eating pizza and chocolate and other "unhealthy" food choices. I don't want to change my tastebuds, but I want to change the volume of food that I eat and be able to eat in moderation. So if I am always over for the day, or not logging daily, than feel free to squawk at me.
  • pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options

But one slice will ruin everything and have you delete from OP Friend list.

I think that's a price I'll have to pay.

giphy.gif
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    The food choice judgers are out in full force today. My choices fit my macros and my calories, so honestly, I don't see the problem?