40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello Cool Kids!
    My world-wandering g/f is back from her summer tour, so we'll have "girl's night" tonight. That means dinner at a spiffy wine restaurant. There's healthy and lite food available, so it should be tons of fun and no guilt.
    B continues to recover. I have to put in a plug for Progressive! We didn't even think about calling them after the accident since the bike wasn't badly damaged, and we were afraid of premium increases, but they rock! They're paying for everything up to the policy limit, and no increase in premium!
    Strangely since I stopped doing all of the things that had my hip hurting, it's my other hip that's giving me grief now. I'm kinda freaking out about that since I've already spent over $10K on the MRI & whatnot, and I'm headed to Stanford on the 29th for my consultation. I guess I couldn't get them both done at once though. I'm really trying to take advantage of the fact that I'm hitting my max out-of-pocket for insurance, and do everything I can before New Year's :laugh:
    Beeps, I hope you're back is better and that your trip to SD rocks.
    Sdereski, g/fs are great for kicking our butts with the utmost love and support. I'm glad you have a great one.
    Handy, 29 hours of flying is a lot. Aisle yoga?
    KS, I'm glad you're getting to spend time with the little tyke. I've also done the 30 day shred workouts, and the ARE intense! Happy Anniversary!
    Ruby, do you have a VitaMix? They make good almond flour. Use blanched raw almonds. A food processor will also work, but it will be a bit grainier. WAY cheaper than buying it!
    JFM, cool about the new job! Glad to hear from you.

I haven't even gone shopping for the MOG dress! Crap! I totally spaced on what I'm going to wear :noway:

Guess I'm shopping tomorrow.
    You all are awesome.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Beeps, thank you again for the thread roll!!!!!!!!!!! Hope your back feels better. Have a safe trip!!

Caramel, that is so sweet of your daughter and soo true. Just follow your heart. :flowerforyou:

KS, happy anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Ruby, it is good to hear from you!!! I have made almond flour/meal in my vitamix. Yes, google it or youtube it. LOL It will tell you which almonds to buy. We have a store here called Sprouts, sort of like WholeFoods, we have WF as well and others like it. You can buy the almonds there. I think the main thing is to buy raw blanched almonds so your meal is not dark. Well at least for the french macarons that I made called for almond meal made with blanched almonds. I want to try more gluten free, sugar free recipes of "sweets". I love baking but just hate all that sugar and plain flour.

HELLO TO EVERYONE ELSE!!! TIME TO GO TO BED. Will try to post more tomorrow!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,943 Member
    Options
    Hi to you all.

I would opt for "loose skin" surgery! I am not "pro-" plastic surgery, for the most part, but this is different! It is a correction in recognition of a return to a healthy body/lifestyle. Be transparent with your daughter - if she is part of the process, she will get happy with the decision!

San Diego is just so beautiful and warm. We walked as much as my back could take.

The workout room at the hotel is very good and I will give it a whirl tomorrow. I will use lower weights and just up my reps.
  • Hopefullysane
    Hopefullysane Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey 40+ cool kids. I'd love it if you'd add me as friend.

I'm 45. From Saskatchewan (that's in Canada). Been on this healthier me journey for just over a year. Went from couch fixture to fitness addict. My loves are strength training and this past summer I became obsessed about triathlons. Began training in April and participated in 5 triathlons over the summer. Triathlon season is over now (cuz its already fricken cold here) so looking for something else to obsess about. Thinking it might be weight training.

I'm married (celebrating my 10th anniversary next week) and have an amazing 16 year old daughter.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    The thread rolls, another day starts, and we move unflinchingly towards our permanent sleep. I'm gonna sip my coffee and contemplate my mortality to the sounds of my creaking bones. :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hi All! It started as a fairly decent day, but my dad just called and he had to call an ambulance for my mom this morning because she was having severe stomach pain and could barely stand. I am leaving work in a little bit to go see her. Will still probably go to dinner later to celebrate the anniversary- but I am thinking I will just chalk it up to a cheat day since I don't foresee getting a walk in. All will depend on what happens.

Have a good one.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    The thread rolls, another day starts, and we move unflinchingly towards our permanent sleep. I'm gonna sip my coffee and contemplate my mortality to the sounds of my creaking bones. :bigsmile: :drinker:

Your bones are sore from carrying around all those muscles:bigsmile:

Larro
  • larrodarro
    Options
    KellySue, hope all is well with your mom. Margie and I have had a long history of her or my parents having ER visits when we are planning a celebratory meal. Life has a way of getting in the way of the best laid plans.

Larro
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Hopefullysane, welcome to the club. You can always shovel your neighbors' driveways once the snow season starts. A good workout and you could even make a few bucks. The heat index is 107F right now here in NW Florida, so it's going to be a while before I have to worry about cold weather stopping me from working out. I'm looking forward to it getting cool enough for me to walk outside without getting soaked in the first two minutes.

Larro
  • larrodarro
    Options
    A big hello to everyone else. Today is my house cleaning day, and I slept in. I got a couple of loads of laundry done while I was doing my AM workout, but that is about it. I've got to get a move on if I hope to finish on time. I'll check back in later when I have more time.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Larro
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi Cool Kids!

Happy Hump Day to us all. Gorgeous full moon show on my Moto ride to work. A little chilly in the mornings now. The season has definitely shifted. Fall is lovely here on the redwood coast. Warm (65) days, and the fog stays at bay for longer periods, which means a chance of seeing stars! Rare starry skies are a downside of coastal living.

Caramel, I was thinking more about your surgery thoughts. I got dreadful stretchmarks on my belly & hips from pregnancy -- and I had my kids young! So I've spent my whole adult life with really jiggly loose belly skin. :ohwell: I will say with all honesty, I wish I would have had a tummy tuck when I was younger. It's always bothered me. Maybe someday I still will! So talk with the docs, and bring your daughter to ask her questions and voice her concerns directly. At least then you'll both know what your'e facing. :flowerforyou: My $0.02

Hopefullysane, welcome aboard! Great to hear you've divorced your couch! :wink: Larro, good idea about shoveling snow!

KS, gosh! Sorry to hear about your mom. Life does happen, like Larro said, at usually inconvenient times. I hope she's ok.

Beeps, glad your back is letting you enjoy San Diego!

Cheers to you all,
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Started to write this post this morning and then got totally sidetracked with work. What's that all about?! :wink:

Kelly, so sorry to hear about your mom. Certainly hope it is nothing too serious.

alf - gotta get me a vitamix blender. I've gone through so many blenders and magic bullets, I should have just got the best from the get go. :ohwell:

Larro - your housecleaning day? And laundry? Good man! :drinker:

Curious - you haven't even started shopping for the dress!!!?? Oh man, it took me months, and in the end I wasn't really happy with the dress I chose. I looked online for months and then went to my stand by ladies shop but wasn't overly thrilled. I refused to pay $1000 for a dress I would probably only wear once, but also wanted one that I felt good in and was appropriate for the event.
    Good luck to you, am sure you will find something fabulous where you are. Sometime, shopping under the gun is much better than having the time to look around - too many choices make it way more difficult. Glad I never have to do that again. :happy:

Carmel - I agree with the other ladies regarding the surgery. I would be all over that. Like curious, I always wished I had had a tummy tuck. Not so much from the stretch marks, but I do have a few. I had a hysterectomy about 5 years ago, and where the scar is has left a "shelf" WTH? Hate it!! I did get a consult and the doc didn't think I needed a tummy tuck, but suggested a bit of lipo which I don't want, as that would only add more loose skin. :tongue: So,nothing got done.

Hopefullysane - very cool gig cleaning the BB player's house. My son is a huge Bruins fan.

Had a great play date with my granddaughter yesterday. I was SO proud of her. I took her out on her bicycle (2 wheeler with training wheels). From her house she rode to the park where we spent some time playing on the equipment...including me. :laugh:
    She kept wanting me to try out the different slides. When I would say "no", she understood it to be that I was afraid, so she would use encouraging words to "try it". After the park, she wanted to go to the "moose store" for a treat, which is about a mile away. I thought it was too far, and told her I didn't think she could ride that far. She insisted she could so off we went. That little girl peddled that bike all the way there and all the way back! She probably peddled over 2 miles when it was all said and done, with NO help from me. the odd time I would steer her straight, she would immediately say "you can let go now".
    By the time I got her back home, 2 hours had passed. :happy: She's 3.

It's pouring buckets out there today, so the w/o with my g/f is off. Will do it tomorrow at noon.

Have a great day all. :flowerforyou:
  • larrodarro
    Options
    sdereski, it sounds like you had a great time with your grand daughter. My niece is coming from Denver with her husband and two kids later this month. The little boy is also 3. He is a tractor lover, so I look forward to getting him as much seat time as possible. His dad's family own a farm on the west coast, and we have one here in Florida, so when he is older he will have some deciding to do, or have one hell of a commute between fields. As for the housework, we have a lady come in every other Wednesday to clean, but I do the dishes and most of the laundry. {Margie won't trust me with her work clothes just because I have dyed a load of clothes or two when I had shirts from the thrift store that I didn't realize were new} Margie's job pays three times what mine does, and I have a lot more time off than she does, so I do the lion's share of the cooking and cleaning. She will retire on 12/31/16, so maybe she will do more of the housework then.

Curious, good luck with finding the right dress.

Carmel, I come down on the side of the pro surgery faction. Just look around to make sure you find a good doctor. As much work as you have put into your weight loss and fitness, you deserve to look really, really hot.

Beeps, enjoy your time in the sun. Go easy on the back until it is back to normal.

I picked up the makings for burgers {ground turkey & ground turkey sausage}, and had planned on grilling them for supper. But Margie called and ask if I wanted her to pick up a rotisserie chicken from the Harvey's Deli. They have their big specials on Wednesday {the day our two local papers come out} and the chickens are $3.99. I said yes, so all I have to worry about now is the sides. And since I have my part of the cleaning done, I can just sit back and take it easy for the next 30 minutes or so.

I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but I had picked up a blender last week. Just a middle of the pack Oster, but it has worked fine so far. I've made a few fruit smoothies with Greek yogurt and ice cream, and some with oatmeal, banana, yogurt and protein powder. Margie got a bigger food processor too. Her old one wouldn't do a whole bag of slaw and she was tired of having to do half of it at a time. The only drawback is our food gadget storage room on the back porch is getting full.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Larro
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Welcome Hopefullysane - Im right next to you in MB :happy:

I did a 6km walk today - felt really GREAT! I wore my fitbit ( its so motivating! ) and it let meknow I bypassed 10,000 steps - YAY!

Curious - How did the outfit/dress planning go?: I haven't dressed up in so long, I wouldn't know WHAT to wear!

Larro - 3 yr olds are sooo sweet. They say the most innocently hilarious things! You'll have such fun.

Caramel - How are the surgery plans going?

Beeps - Take some self-care time - so worth it :flowerforyou:

Kelly - Hope your mom is doing better?

Sunofabeach - geezzz....LOL

I hope I got everbody, If I have left you out, Im very sorry! Its amazing how a couple weeks away can really throw you off your routine :smile:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Had a great workout today. This hotel gym is AWESOME! (who says that - ever?!?!)

Walking is still pinching my back. Lounging by the pool is not.

:)
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

Welcome all newbies. We are a great cluster of people and hope you enjoy your stay.

September 11th continues to ring through my head each year. I was 6 months pregnant with my daughter trying to run down 6 flights of steps as my office was told to clear out of the building and the elevators were inoperable. Terror is designed to make people afraid and our lives in the US are forever changed as a result of this tragedy. Never should we take life for granted as none of us promised tomorrow.

As it relates to me and my surgery plans, I will take my family with me along with my best friend who is a nurse as I do a few consultations. I will ask the necessary questions, continue to do research and make an informed decision. If I proceed, I would like to do it March-April 2015. In the meantime I will continue to work with my trainer, take these killer classes and run. Speaking of running, my race is this Sunday. Of course TOM would visit me the same week as my race. Of course, I am carrying water weight (RATS). Running yesterday was a bit of a struggle. The new instructor who took over on Wednesday nights is REALLY a force to reckon with. He runs a competition between his 6 a.m., 9 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. team and post our results. When my daughter and I walked in and saw the earlier teams completed 3 circuits 4 times each, I looked at my daughter and said "we will take no prisoners". Needless to say pressure was on and we completed the circuit 4 times and my daughter passed out in the car (lol).

Beeps--I am glad you are still working out. I hope your back gets better soon. Accupuncture does wonders if you never tried it.

JFM--You have been busy. The wedding is now over. Yeah on the over 10,000 steps

CG--When insurance companies give you something with no increase; take it. Sheesh. The crazy part is we pay every month, six months, etc. and then when we have a problem often times we are too scared to call them because we know it means increase.:grumble: I appreciate your .02 cents. I am the type of person who like to hear all opinions because when you are so close to a situation, often times you can miss some very relevant points. I appreciate your honesty:flowerforyou: How did the dress fitting go?

Larro--I was thinking you should arrange a tour for the 40+ club to visit the Ranch. What do you guys think? I am sure you are looking forward to your visit from your family. A 3 year old and a tractor. Sounds like he is going to have a great time with you.

KellySue-Hope mom is ok and it is nothing serious. Hope you were able to still have a nice anniversary. I do believe the perfect house is waiting for you and hubby. I love hearing Jake stories. I love to hear the grandkid stories. You are leaving such a beautiful footprint for Jake. My girls are too way young to be mothers. One day I hope to tell a few stories of my own.

Sderski--You are also leaving a beautiful footprint for your granddaughter. She sounds very determined and quite independent. It appears she shocked you. Imagine what she can do in another 6 months to a year. Hopefully your g/f can work out with you today at some point.

I hope I did not forget anyone. If I did, you know it was not intentional.

Have a great day everyone.

Hugs
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! I hope you all have a wonderful day.

I love all the encouragement and advice we offer each other. I am very blessed to have found such a great group of motivating friends:flowerforyou: I have noticed the 40+ club friends have a lot of determination. I think more determination than some of us had 20 years ago.
  • goldenguymsw
    goldenguymsw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello all... I'm Tim... new to this group... been on mfp for a couple years... I am 43... recently separated... have a 14 year old son... recently sold home with ex... we each bought a new smaller home.... non stop house projects, getting settled, trying to maintain a relationship with my son and ex, trying to stay in shape and keep personal training business going on the side... and trying to stay positive...
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all of the new people!

My mom didn't end up having to stay at the hospital, but has a follow up with the gastroenterologist this afternoon. They said that she has an inflamed liver, but are not sure why it is that way- possible crop up from her accident last week. I guess I will know more later.

Jake is at my house today. I didn't have to be in to work until after 11:00 this morning so I got to hang out with him for a while. He is so stinkin' cute- and he loves books! I must have read several books at least half a dozen times each!! It was hard to leave to come to work today- :frown:

We did end up going to dinner last night and I ate too much- it always seems to happen when I go out to eat! It was good though. I also got up early this morning and did 30 day shred again- got to work off that dessert!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Welcome goldenguy!

Ruby - i have always been a determined s.o.b.....but, i, too, like this thread because there is something different about being over-40....in a good way!

caramel, i was on maternity leave when 9/11 happened....from my job with an airline! 9/11 bankrupted my airline. I lost my job. The tragedy of 9/11 was very far-flung, indeed.

Okay, off to lift in the hotel gym and then out into this beautiful sunshine! Cannot wait!!!