In Ketosis, but I didn't intend to be...

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Ketones in the urine are not necessarily "abnormal" depending on your diet and exercise level, and it definitely does not mean you are in a "state of ketosis" - never heard that term before. It probably has to do with your diet since high protein / low carb can cause ketones to be released in your urine.

Or it could be a bunch of other reasons, not sure why you are doing a urine dipstick without a doctor’s orders but if you do not know how to interpret the results then you probably shouldn’t do it. Again, go see a doctor if you want a medical advice.

"state of ketosis" means the same as "being in ketosis"

What are you, a freaking chemist?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • attosa
    attosa Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    HAHA!!! Two great reads in one day on MFP. Thank you!!!!
  • MarkSharkk
    MarkSharkk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    OP should have used: inB4 "go see a doctor"
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Stating that you are healthy and then saying that you might be in ketosis is a huge contradiction....looking it up online and asking strangers to give you a medical based opinion is crazy. If you are truly worried, go to an Urgent Care and have them to do a urine test.
  • MarkSharkk
    MarkSharkk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Seriously though, if you really want to know.... Consult a certified doctor, or visit bodybuilding.com and ask on there...They have a few ketosis-related stickies and you'll probably find a few white knights who will be glad to help you...
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This thread made me giggle, a lot! I'm sorry
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

0005150024177_500X500.jpg

Also if you are just looking in the toilet, the above may actually be the cause! Excess nuts in the diet can cause excretion of oil in the feces, which may not be completely washed away with a flush, which could cause you to see oil, which you identified as "ketones".

Never self diagnose yourself by a toilet bowl...especially without knowing whether you can see what you think you are looking for.

Oh, and, if I'm wrong you should probably go see a doctor...
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Stating that you are healthy and then saying that you might be in ketosis is a huge contradiction....looking it up online and asking strangers to give you a medical based opinion is crazy. If you are truly worried, go to an Urgent Care and have them to do a urine test.

I found this gif earlier ... and it so fits.

0f61e7c3e1f067d1acec41e17f62e671fbc354eca42f7561d4b45d70ea4ea923.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Never self diagnose yourself by a toilet bowl...

I have officially lost faith in humanity.
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love this thread

OP, you should probably go see a doctor....
  • roostking1
    roostking1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the OP has bailed on this thread, she wasnt getting the answers she wanted to hear.

Unless she is at the Dr., which she should be if it hasnt been mentioned yet!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    <.< I'll just drop mah two cents in here:

If you have ketosis it means you are burning off ketones- those of which have a sweet aroma- I'm assuming that's how you know you have ketone bodies in your urine; cause it smells like cherries or almond paste- at least that's what ketones smell like in lab. Eat more sugars because you don't have enough glycogen: which comes from glucose which is broken down from sucrose. It just means you're burning a fatty acid instead of a sugar. Should you be worried, maybe. Go to your doctor, how many people on here do you think have any type of science knowledge that would even remotely help.

Oh and you can't boot someone on a forum....

science knowledge=urine smelling, got it. Do the cherries and almond paste smell still smell 'sweet' if I eat asparagus?
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Would you consider buying a test kit and then going to the doctor if what you think is the problem isn't?

I'm disappointed the aliens guy hasn't shown up yet.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm just shuddering at " sweet aroma".... :sick:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    <.< I'll just drop mah two cents in here:

If you have ketosis it means you are burning off ketones- those of which have a sweet aroma- I'm assuming that's how you know you have ketone bodies in your urine; cause it smells like cherries or almond paste- at least that's what ketones smell like in lab. Eat more sugars because you don't have enough glycogen: which comes from glucose which is broken down from sucrose. It just means you're burning a fatty acid instead of a sugar. Should you be worried, maybe. Go to your doctor, how many people on here do you think have any type of science knowledge that would even remotely help.

Oh and you can't boot someone on a forum....

science knowledge=urine smelling, got it. Do the cherries and almond paste smell still smell 'sweet' if I eat asparagus?

Well, one isn't just "burning off" ketones in ketosis but producing them in the TCA cycle - acetate/acetone ketones produced do have a smell (cherries or ripe bananas) and urine might carry some of that but it will be overwhelmed by urea and sulfur compounds like methanethiol (asparagus thing). But some people - maybe 10% do not produce methanethiol from asparagus.

Also, the cherrie/almond smell is what the poster is using as a comparator not what makes urine smell.

If ketones are stinking up you urine to a noticeable level that's probably an issue right there. You should be smelling in from skin and sweat way before given the general volatility of acetone. If the only time you are smelling it is in urine - my guess is you probably are not drinking enough.

But again. If the poster had bothered to read the posts --- likely not ketones.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

I found this gif earlier ... and it so fits.

0f61e7c3e1f067d1acec41e17f62e671fbc354eca42f7561d4b45d70ea4ea923.jpg
    OMG have you seen a doctor?
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the "MFP is mean, people aren't listening and cuddling me enough" thread from OP.

It's fairly obvious you aren't diabetic (type 1), because if you were, and you were in ketosis... it would be ketoacidosis and you'd be pretty close to dying.

I think the advice to go see a doctor, even if it was 'just in case' is actually good advice, but live your (possibly very short) life the way you want to. :flowerforyou:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I have internet, I know how to use it

Apparently except when it comes to how one boots people from threads on message boards on the internet?

Seriously why would someone say something like that if they are later going to fuss about how they are not an idiot?

Anyhoo I think "I have internet, I know how to use it" shall now be my go-to response for things. It's working out so well for OP!

/goes to look for beer boot again
    jessi_consequences.jpg
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Generally, when one's urine contains ketones, one is said to be "in ketosis" there is nothing inherently unhealthy about reasonable levels of ketones in urine. I've been "in ketosis" for the about 80-90% of the last 4-6 weeks (sorry, I didn't note the date when I first tested positive for ketones in my urine).

So, recaping:
    A) Ketosis is not unhealthy
    2) Ketones are not visible in urine (unless your suffering from ketoacidosis, which OP is not)
    III) OP should see a doctor if it worries her, or if she REALLY wants to know whats in her urine.