MFP has really changed

Options
I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

Replies

• fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You couldn't have worded it any better than that! Good for you for this forum! Just yesterday I posted on here, and people were doing the same thing to me. Not all, but some. It makes it really discouraging, doesn't it?! I have recently rejoined MFP and I need support and encouragement, not the opposite. The way I see it, is were all in this together.
    Best of luck to you lovely, and again that's super awesome of you to voice your opinion!
    :flowerforyou:
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

So you've been here 3 years but made a new account just to complain about this? Awesome! Great job! You can do it!!

Is that motivating enough for you?

Honestly, the main reason people comment on things like logging cleaning is because of the people who say, I'm eating under my cals and not losing weight, etc. Eating back vastly inaccurate calorie numbers for dusting a mantle can stall weight loss, as can inaccurate logging. Would pointing out using measuring cups and a food scale for someone who eyeballs everything be criticism too?

Correcting inaccurate information is not criticism, and taking it as such is a mistake. In the immortal words of Sgt Hulko: "Lighten up Francis."
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    This time last year the site was great. All of a sudden it's now like some dreggy dating site where people look down their noses at each other and race to pass snarky comments.
  • ilovesnugglies
    ilovesnugglies Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Where is the "like" button?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    and here we go.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    awwww, saves my reply for another time :)
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but MFP meanies threads are only allowed on Fridays. Please repost tomorrow.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I guess we don't do mean people threads on Fridays anymore, I lost bingo again.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Don't tell me what to do.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

So you've been here 3 years but made a new account just to complain about this? Awesome! Great job! You can do it!!

Is that motivating enough for you?

Honestly, the main reason people comment on things like logging cleaning is because of the people who say, I'm eating under my cals and not losing weight, etc. Eating back vastly inaccurate calorie numbers for dusting a mantle can stall weight loss, as can inaccurate logging. Would pointing out using measuring cups and a food scale for someone who eyeballs everything be criticism too?

Correcting inaccurate information is not criticism, and taking it as such is a mistake. In the immortal words of Sgt Hulko: "Lighten up Francis."
    hqdefault.jpg
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

So, are you saying that if people have a different opinion than the OP, or they open up a related discussion within the thread, then that's wrong? I thought this was a discussion forum. Discussions evolve and often lead to new discussions. Haven't you ever had a R/L discussion that covered more than the initial question at hand?

Also, in regards to the light cleaning v. heavy cleaning thread, people were trying to answer the question. It's impossible to tell someone the difference because it's different for everyone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's a funny place. That's for sure. The dog pile is a popular sport here.

I wonder if they log it.
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your gurney, OP.
  • meltedkeys
    meltedkeys Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!!
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This time last year the site was great. All of a sudden it's now like some dreggy dating site where people look down their noses at each other and race to pass snarky comments.

I've been around awhile. The only thing that's changed is an increase in the number of know it all trigger warning no-criticism zone special snowflakes.
  • StephenNesbit
    StephenNesbit Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like everything my friends post.

I tend to stay away from the forums unless the title in "Recent Forum Topics" on my home page catches my attention.

Groups are FAR more supportive than the forums.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've seen some 2 and 3 year old zombie threads where this was extremely clear: people were being super sweet and supportive, but of really horrible ideas. I'd rather have someone embarrass me, and make me think twice and do some research before trying a method that would either waste my time and money or potentially hurt me, instead of being supportive of some cockamamie fad just to make me feel good.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I guess we don't do mean people threads on Fridays anymore, I lost bingo again.

Jinx. You owe me a Coke.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Maybe MFP hasn't changed...maybe you have changed. Maybe you have outgrown it. I've been on here for a few years...seems the same to me, but I like some of the mean posts.