MFP has really changed

Options

Replies

• Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP since my son was born in 2008. Started using forums in 2010.
    I can assure you, nothing has changed.
    Except my age.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    In... just because.
  • NotShena
    NotShena Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I have nothing to add except a snarky comment I remember this:

eb2244629041b5c7c91c296d0eb34362.jpg
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.
    So why does it say below your Avatar Joined September 2014? Trolling for a mean people thread me thinks
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You couldn't have worded it any better than that! Good for you for this forum! Just yesterday I posted on here, and people were doing the same thing to me. Not all, but some. It makes it really discouraging, doesn't it?! I have recently rejoined MFP and I need support and encouragement, not the opposite. The way I see it, is were all in this together.
    Best of luck to you lovely, and again that's super awesome of you to voice your opinion!
    :flowerforyou:
    Why focus on the bad, if there was some good in there, too? This part is what I can't wrap my head around. At all.
  • release_the_kraken
    Options
    *popcorn*
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's a funny place. That's for sure. The dog pile is a popular sport here.

I wonder if they log it.

Best comment ever!
  • cat_monster
    cat_monster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.

Genuine lol!!
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've been here just as long as you have OP and it is EXACTLY the same.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4pibbMroo1qdrnseo1_r1_500.gif
    for-everything-i-did-that-hurt-you,-im-sorry_1202.gif
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I've spent a good bulk of my 1,000 posts trying to give others insightful advice only to be told that I have no right to do that, just because I'm not telling them what they want to hear.

This site doesn't suck because of the group of people that sprinkle their knowledge where it needs to be sprinkled, it's ruined by people who try too hard to take everything personally. People who want to find something to complain about and find a way to be upset.

They want to use others as a crutch to try to "prove" why they haven't been successful.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

Most of the responses are not mean. They offer solid, good advice that differs from what the OP wanted to hear which results in the OP getting overly defensive. Maybe some of the advice is a bit blunt and direct, but sometimes that's how people realize the right answer and maybe even change their path towards real success.

This is the internet. Not everything is happy rainbows and butterflies.

Oh, and gifs.

Mean-Girls-GIF-I-Wish-I-Could-Bake-A-Cake-Full-Of-Rainbows-and-Smiles.gif
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I'm gonna try to address this without making it a whole thing.

Yes, you can log whatever you want. But when you ask for advice, you'll get advice. And anyone who cares is gonna tell you logging things as exercise that aren't really exercise is a bad idea.

It may not be what you want to hear, but it's good advice. And that's the problem. Some people want advice, some people want to be told they're doing everything right no matter what.

I've seen people be unnecessarily rude, I've seen people be extraordinarily kind. Just like life. It's no different here. It's everyone's choice if they want to focus on the positive or the negative.

#truth

I can do whatever the heck I want/log when it comes to my diary. But if I post a question on a thread I need to be open for all comments/opinions. IMO MFP is supportive. I look forward to logging in everyday. True, I spend more time in my own Newsfeed than the forums but regardless, the accountability I get from my MFP friends is worth being on here.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP I mean Have you read an article and there was like 5 tips to get healthier today, one way to do it is to do some light-heavy cleaning…this way your getting things done and working out.

One day i had too much energy and I cleaned the entire apartment and that means taking the rugs out from my rabbits area, vacuumed, laundry…bathroom+rugs…I was SWEATY lol I burned like 400 calories that day from those 2 hours of cleaning i was WIPED OUT…Idk how people can say that housework isn't working out?? so all the thin moms out there must be dumber than doornails when it comes to strength and energy hauling them kids around and cleaning after them pfft
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    HA! In for lol's
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I've been on MFP since my son was born in 2008. Started using forums in 2010.
    I can assure you, nothing has changed.
    Except my age.

I've been more than two years, and don't really notice a change either.
  • Relentless_0ne
    Options
    This time last year the site was great. All of a sudden it's now like some dreggy dating site where people look down their noses at each other and race to pass snarky comments.

I've been around awhile. The only thing that's changed is an increase in the number of know it all trigger warning no-criticism zone special snowflakes.

Not true. The word bang has been removed from the threads so its less of a dating site if anything.
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Most of the time this can be avoided with a simple search and people will find the answers they need becuase it has been asked before. But it is hard to ask any kind of question here without 90% of the replies being others just jacking around.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    just my 2¢ here but if someone makes a thread asking for advice asking how to lose weight and what works and blah blah blah. I feel like I have some experience having lost almost 70lbs. So YES I do know more than some people, does that make me a snob? Maybe, but probably not. It's also frustrating when people can't click the search button to look stuff up or partake of this thing called google. It works great you should try it sometime.

I also agree with another user that no you probably shouldn't log simple things like dusting the mantle :laugh: and MFP is inaccurate on calories burned so most people are eating too many calories to lose weight and then they come on the forums and rage.

to sum it all up, ignore it or move on to a different website, complaining is only going to raise your stress hormones... which hinders weight loss :laugh: :bigsmile: