so what are you reading lately??? any good?

Options

Replies

• jamesdavidy
    Options
    Some of this thread…hummm
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Just finished the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor. It's an excellent fantasy fiction/romantic series about Angels and Demons. I'm normally not one for girly romance, but yeah I could not put it down and I laughed and cried!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Just started "The Museum of Extraordinary Things" by Alice Hoffman. It is the story of a girl growing up as the daughter of a Coney Island Freak Show proprietor who becomes one of his exhibits because she has webbed hands and can hold her breath under water fro long periods of time.

Just finished "The Boys in the Boat" and LOVED it!

Recently read "Unwind" by Neal Shusterman. It is set in the near future and is about 3 teens who got caught up in the compromise made to settle a US civil war over reproductive rights. All children must be carried to term, but from the ages of 13-17 the parents can decide to have the children "unwound" which means that their entire bodies will be taken apart and donated for transplants. These three (one is a hostile teen, one is a ward of the state who is chosen as part of budget cuts, and one was chosen to be a tithe because of his parents religious beliefs) try to get away from being unwound. Much better than it sounds.
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just Finished "Mistress" by James Patterson. A client (I am a hair stylist) brought it in for me to read and she was not impressed with it what so ever...but I really enjoyed it! It was FULL of action and there was never a dull moment. This was a one day read as I couldn't put it down :)

Also recently finished "Summers Child" by Diane Chamberlin. One of the best mystery book that I have read in a long time!

Cheers <3

read many of james patterson's books....he's a fast read and it holds my intrest!!
  • emmietoby
    Options
    bumping off to you all !!
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just finished Diana Gabaldon's latest Outlander book "Written in My Own Heart's Blood", probably have to wait another 4 years for the next one, and I've just picked up Barbara Erskine' s "The Darkest Hour" which looks promising

After reading several comments about Gabaldon and Outlander, I went to purchase it, only to find that it has been on my Kindle since October 4, 2010! I guess I'll read that next!
  • clensor1955
    clensor1955 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just finished "Gifted Hands" the story of Ben Carson. Great book
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    A Moveable Feast : Hemmingway, great
  • emmietoby
    Options
    Just started 23 minutes in Hell by Bill Wiese. I picked it up at a thrift shop for $.50 so I thought I would give it a try.

sounds good --let us know it is.!!
  • stryder2807
    stryder2807 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A Dance with Dragons by G.R.R Martin. The only fantasy series I enjoy reading.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Currently (trying to get through) Jenny Mollen's ILYJTWIA (I Like You Just the Way I Am) but with four kids, reading isn't an every day luxury. :laugh:
  • YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    I'm reading endymion spring bc i couldn't find anything else

But my friend is letting me read his Halo books soon.
  • Free_style
    Free_style Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm reading on my Kindle, Drew Van Dycke's book "Switch Back". Its a sci-fi book about twins. I'm not normally into books like this but I know the author personally and I thought I'd support him. I'm amazed with the voice in this book and I'm looking forward to his next book. It is a good fast read, one you can't put down.
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • sandraeward
    sandraeward Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Rereading all the Enderverse books.
  • BethClicks
    BethClicks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always have at least three books going so bear with me :)
    I am just finishing up 'Light in August' by William Faulkner, which I have found to be a somewhat challenging, yet strangely captivating read. It's a hard, true, and ugly look at this period in history and just leaves me awed how such elegant prose that could fill me with such disquiet. I'm ready to move on to something happier... Like Cormac McCarthy (haw haw) :laugh:

I'm also about halfway through 'Grain Brain' which I only happened to take a look at once I'd already decided to go the Paleo route, so it's hard to know how much I'd have been influenced before. If nothing else it is a interesting read, full of loads of yummy science-y info both proven and speculative.

Lastly I'v just started 'The hundred year old man who climbed out the window and Disappeared' by Jonas Jonasson, which my goodreads suggested I would enjoy after reading (and LOVING) 'The Girl That Saved The King Of Sweden' by the same author. They're both entertaining, charming, smart, adventurous, and fun to read.:bigsmile:

Next up when the Faulkner is done is 'The Prince of Tides' by Pat Conroy
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Imajica by Clive Barker. Very strange but very good I can't really describe it but if you like fantasy based on Earth try it
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Imajica by Clive Barker. Very strange but very good I can't really describe it but if you like fantasy based on Earth try it
    I read that years ago and really enjoyed it..and yes strange, like a lot of his stuff
  • meloniesctt
    meloniesctt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm reading hail holy queen by Scott Hahn its a great book about mother Mary! :)