Team UK - January 2011!

Options

Replies

• yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Nakd bar? Snickers Bar? Know which I'd rather choose! Anyway, you need sugar in your diet so that little bit certainly ain't gonna hurt you. And it's from fruit! LOL

I don't eat snicker bars either. Ultimately sugar is sugar whatever source it comes from and your body will burn it in preference to fat. I can't afford for half my daily allowance to come from one bar as I struggle not to go over anyway once I eat fresh fruit. I don't do well when I eat sugary foods, get that nice sugar rush and then dip in energy and mood followed by a need to snack. I'm trying to get more of my 5 a day from veggies and keep a check on my sugar. Ultimately everyone is different though so while they wouldn't be a good choice for me I'm sure they are great for others so enjoy!
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm a v happy Lauren today! Lost 6.5lbs in a month, 3 inches from my stomach and 1.5 inches from my hips! Insane :noway:

Sadly I've gotta make birthday treats for the office on Tuesday and I decided to make millionaire's shortbread as its my fav guilty pleasure and thought well it's one day, so why not? OMG it is so rich I can only manage 1 teeny mouthful before I feel sick! And its obviously ridic high in calories - don't think my office are going to be too impressed!! Oh well, I've made it, and don't think I'll make it again!

Hope you're all having a fab weekend =)

xx
  • Rosy67
    Rosy67 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Nakd bar? Snickers Bar? Know which I'd rather choose! Anyway, you need sugar in your diet so that little bit certainly ain't gonna hurt you. And it's from fruit! LOL

I don't eat snicker bars either. Ultimately sugar is sugar whatever source it comes from and your body will burn it in preference to fat. I can't afford for half my daily allowance to come from one bar as I struggle not to go over anyway once I eat fresh fruit. I don't do well when I eat sugary foods, get that nice sugar rush and then dip in energy and mood followed by a need to snack. I'm trying to get more of my 5 a day from veggies and keep a check on my sugar. Ultimately everyone is different though so while they wouldn't be a good choice for me I'm sure they are great for others so enjoy!

I'm exactly the same. Once I eat something high in carbs- not even sugary, but relatively high glycaemic load, I end up on a sugar rollercoaster for the rest of the day....exhausted and craving more an hour and a half later...so I have something....and then 90mins later I'm feeling awful again...
    I didn't realise until I tried doing the Atkins diet a few years back that that craving feeling wasn't true hunger...which ironically is much easier to resist giving in to. The carb craving I feel as a really strong feeling in my throat; true hunger I feel as a vague empty ache in my stomach. The first 4 days of Atkins were awful- like going cold turkey trainspotting style! But once I was through it, I had so much more energy, fewer mood swings and was quite able to control my food intake.
    I try and eat low GL now- I can get away with fruit, even bananas, but if I have pasta or bread I have to have it in small amounts with protein or I'm sunk for the rest of the day.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi Gang. Been enjoying the discussion about sugar. I must admit I didn't realise the body choses to burn the sugar before the fat - learnt something new today :smile:

I'm happy to announce a weight-loss today. Ironic really because I've decided to go to maintenance and now its moving again!

Have joint of belly pork for tea, very fattening I know but I love the crackling :devil: and going to enjoy every mouthful.
  • queenmedusa
    queenmedusa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't have sugar highs as have never eaten much of the stuff, my body certainly doesn't miss it. Doesn't miss caffeine either. I've always eaten plenty of fruit but never enough veg so definitely trying to work more of that into my diet each day. Think my problem has always been salt because I used to eat crisps every day but don't think I've had one bag this year! Don't miss them either! :laugh: Might take a bit more notice of the sugar I'm taking in though..... don't really want to mind as I'm positive it's not that bad!!!!

Glad to hear you're happy with your unexpected weight loss Gill :flowerforyou:
  • yvonnej1
    Options
    I'm a v happy Lauren today! Lost 6.5lbs in a month, 3 inches from my stomach and 1.5 inches from my hips! Insane :noway:

Sadly I've gotta make birthday treats for the office on Tuesday and I decided to make millionaire's shortbread as its my fav guilty pleasure and thought well it's one day, so why not? OMG it is so rich I can only manage 1 teeny mouthful before I feel sick! And its obviously ridic high in calories - don't think my office are going to be too impressed!! Oh well, I've made it, and don't think I'll make it again!

xx

That inch loss is amazing, well done
  • lrns88
    Options

xx

That inch loss is amazing, well done

Thank you! I think I was v puffy when I first measured which might explain the loss - we'll see next month! xx
  • yvonnej1
    Options
    I don't have sugar highs as have never eaten much of the stuff, my body certainly doesn't miss it. Doesn't miss caffeine either. I've always eaten plenty of fruit but never enough veg so definitely trying to work more of that into my diet each day. Think my problem has always been salt because I used to eat crisps every day but don't think I've had one bag this year! Don't miss them either! :laugh: Might take a bit more notice of the sugar I'm taking in though..... don't really want to mind as I'm positive it's not that bad!!!!

Glad to hear you're happy with your unexpected weight loss Gill :flowerforyou:

I used to crave strong tasting salty foods - mmm salt and vinegar crisps, or barbeque beef hula hoops, or even, dare I mention it cos some people hate it...marmite!. For some reason don't get that craving so much now and actually now I've been eating fewer processed foods if I do occasionally have something like a ready meal or soup I tend to think it tastes too salty.

We are all so different in the foods that suit us which is why one diet never fits all. I've been reading quite a bit over the last few days about how the type of diet can be matched to your body type. Whether that is classified as apple or pear shaped or the more traditional ectomorph, mesomorph etc. each type has diet that should suit them better. Mine would be a protein rich, lower carb diet which is what I was aiming towards at the moment anyway. Will be interesting to see if it has any effect on me once I have stuck to it a bit longer. I used to be a carb lover, can't beat a big plate of pasta, but it is true that I end up having less energy after I eat it. Obviously the opposite would be true of someone who is carb dominant.

Just wish I didn't find it quite so easy (and fascinating) to spend time reading all the conflicting info on nutrition and exercise instead of studying what I am supposed to for my open university course!
  • yvonnej1
    Options

I'm exactly the same. Once I eat something high in carbs- not even sugary, but relatively high glycaemic load, I end up on a sugar rollercoaster for the rest of the day....exhausted and craving more an hour and a half later...so I have something....and then 90mins later I'm feeling awful again...
    I didn't realise until I tried doing the Atkins diet a few years back that that craving feeling wasn't true hunger...which ironically is much easier to resist giving in to. The carb craving I feel as a really strong feeling in my throat; true hunger I feel as a vague empty ache in my stomach. The first 4 days of Atkins were awful- like going cold turkey trainspotting style! But once I was through it, I had so much more energy, fewer mood swings and was quite able to control my food intake.
    I try and eat low GL now- I can get away with fruit, even bananas, but if I have pasta or bread I have to have it in small amounts with protein or I'm sunk for the rest of the day.

Yep we sound really similar. Can relate to the cold turkey thing as I was similar when I changed my diet. Could never go for the full Atkins diet though. I comprise by eating wholemeal pasta or brown rice when I want carbs. In fact I prefer brown rice to white rice now I am used to it, just a shame it takes half an hour to cook the stuff. I still sometimes struggle to stop myself picking at food. I know logically I'm not hungry but I just have the desire to eat, and it's not particularly an emotional thing.

My biggest weakness is biscuits, if I have one I want another, then another, and then some the next day so it's far better for me not to have any at all. Unlike some people I rarely have the self control to stop at 1 :blushing:
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love sugar, I love eating pasta, rice, potatoes and biscuits. and why not? A high carb diet is essential to me, I do eat more than 5 a day of fruit and veg but I mix it with simple carbs all the time, i mostly eat to my target of protein but don't worry if I don't. I eat a snickers bar before any running race i do (more convenience than anything else), I know i would survive on cereal but if i'm running for an hour i'm easily going to burn off the calories in a chocolate bar.
    I haven't lost a lot of weight so far on mfp but I think that's mainly due to the alcohol intake and not the food! I lost more weight quicker on slimming world but it went on twice as quick and a few extra lbs to boot!

I think some people are more suited to a high carb diet and likewise some are more suited to a high protein diet but in the end i'm sure in the end if you burn more cals that you eat you'll lose weight (fingers crossed)
  • lrns88
    Options
    I haven't lost a lot of weight so far on mfp but I think that's mainly due to the alcohol intake and not the food! I lost more weight quicker on slimming world but it went on twice as quick and a few extra lbs to boot!

I did SW a couple of years ago and had quite a big loss, but then found as soon as I went back to semi-normal it all came back on plus more! My biggest problem with SW was the lack of portion control - being taught to eat as much as you want of free food definitely wasn't good for me. Saying that, I do still have SW recipes as they are so yummy!
  • resh76
    resh76 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi Guys, thanks for the welcoming comments!
    I totally fell off the wagon on the weekend. How do you manage to stay on track if you go out with friends who are not on diets? It started with a slice of pie with tea on saturday, and went steadily downhill from there. I am scared to even record everything, and instead am starting again today. Is anyone else really good during the week but loose control on weekends? Any tips other than just staying home to avoid temptation?
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! I bit the bullet this weekend & re-joined the local gym on Saturday & did a light(ish) set. And went for my first walk since Aug (when I fell & damaged my ankle) yesterday. It was just a few miles along the canal & back but I managed it surprisingly well. And been the the gym this morning. I must be in the zone.:laugh:
    Trouble is, I've now got spaghetti arms & I'm due in work at 3.:laugh:
  • mellissacase
    Options
    Happy Monday Everyone.

I feel great today, a few of collegues have comented saying that i'm looking slimmer which is great because I havn't really told many people about this health kick, I really want to suprise people and it seems to be working Yah, So happy :)

Mel x
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys, thanks for the welcoming comments!
    I totally fell off the wagon on the weekend. How do you manage to stay on track if you go out with friends who are not on diets? It started with a slice of pie with tea on saturday, and went steadily downhill from there. I am scared to even record everything, and instead am starting again today. Is anyone else really good during the week but loose control on weekends? Any tips other than just staying home to avoid temptation?

The best tip I can offer is to record EVERYTHING, no matter how naughty you've been!

I allowed myself a "fat day" on Saturday, simply because I haven't had a proper one since this time last year! I logged and I was horribly shocked! The shock of it has actually made me more determined this week :smile:

If I'm out for a meal with friends, I simply make the right choices earlier in the day, do some extra exercise and then try not to worry about what I'm eating that evening!
  • mickyloo
    mickyloo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok, so since I joined this site and been completing my diary things havent been going too well. That, coupled with my 'low' mood and other people's comments have kinda knocked me sideways. However, my friend has 'loosely' been doing the old WW systems (which I lost my weight on before) and announced she's lost half a stone in 3 wks and you can see it.

It's kinda made me think that I HAVE to get my backside into gear - that, and the FAT weekend I've had with pizza, alcohol, pringles and KFC!!!

I cannot mope around and hide anymore, I have to do something! Besides, you're all so good in here and it's kinda making me feel bad and like a fraud being here!!! :embarassed:
  • yvonnej1
    Options
    Oh I am really cursing Tesco for substituting the cheese I'd ordered when I did my internet shop with them. They sent me pilgrims choice extreme cheddar, which I have now discovered is amazing and for a cheese lover must be classed as the cheese equivalent of crack cocaine. I'm sitting here munching a chunk as I type, how bad is that! Fortunately it's not a very big pack and I'm not going to let it in the house again :blushing:

P.s. Hi Micky :happy:
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Mickey I sooo know what you mean! My problem is portion sizes and eating rubbish and drinking wine at weekends, which then leads to continued wine during the week.......

I have also decided to take the bull by the horns and take my food SERIOUSLY. I have been weighing and measuring ALL my food since Monday so hopefully this will actually work!

Add me as a friend for support if you like, same for everyone else too!
  • Matt_S_1978
    Matt_S_1978 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    New February thread has now been created - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/166210-team-uk-february-2011

Thanks
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Down 0.4kg for the Southers Softies. :bigsmile: