i'm sorry, but...

Options
....isn't myfitnesspal supposed to be a website about food, nutrition, weight loss & dieting? i've been seeing a lot of "off topic" posts about personal matters such as love lives, work, etc. i say save that for facebook and leave the mfp message boards/blogs for sharing recipes, bragging about your weight loss success & dieting support for those of us who need it. :flowerforyou:

ps. there are boards for "off topic" subjects. my post was not meant to insult anyone - it was just to say that *i* go to the food/nutrition/dieting boards for that specific information. if i wanted to read about someone's drunken weekend adventures (which are certainly entertaining), i'd go to another website, or to the "chit chat" board. believe me, i have a lot that goes on in my life other than my diet that i like to share, but i know there's an appropriate place.

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    There is a thread specifically just for chitchat and stuff like that. If you don't like it...don't read it.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    There is a board specifically for these off topic items called "chit-chat, fun, and games". Were the posts on that board?
  • maz123
    maz123 Posts: 63
    Options
    i think that the off topic subjects really help people and if they can vent these things here why not what harm is it doing.
  • PhoenixFire975
    Options
    Some people may not want to go to other social networks. Plus, this is a site where everyone is trying to get into a healthier lifestyle, so everyone is, so to speak, in the same boat. It's nice to talk to people you can relate to. If you have such a problem with it, then this isn't the site for you.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    There is a board specifically for these off topic items called "chit-chat, fun, and games". Were the posts on that board?

no, which is why i posted this. i'm just saying to do it in the appropriate forum.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    technically, this very subject is quite off topic, also it's posted in the category...
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately life is often directly linked to weight gain/loss. While I believe this site was developed originally for the purpose of tracking/monitoring the journey to health through weight reduction, I believe it has morphed into something much greater than that. Through this journey, many individuals develop "safe" ways of being able to express the feelings/problems that often trigger them to eat/over eat. If being able to vent about their husband, daughter, son, or even their job is helping them to stay on track and focused on their health goals - then shouldn't that be allowed? If they can feel safe doing it on MFP, then I say - let them. If this is offensive to you, then you have choices - don't read their posts, unfriend them, or choose something else for yourself.

Blessings as you progress on your journey to a healthier and happier you.

Vickie
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Love lives, work, relationships, health issues, financial woes, etc. can play a big part in why some people are overweight, especially if they are emotional eaters. Venting helps them. I see no harm in it, and in fact, when someone posts something that I can relate to, it helps me too.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    i think that the off topic subjects really help people and if they can vent these things here why not what harm is it doing.

it's not a matter of "harm", i'm just saying that there are boards for these types of posts. if i'm in the "nutrition/diet" forum, i expect to read those types of posts. that's all.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    There are so many elements to weight loss and fitness, I just think we have to take it all into account.
  • jadedjade24
    Options
    IMO, that stuff is not really 'off topic' as you pt it. All of that stuff effects your dieting sometimes. Plus, this is a community of people, and people make friends here just like on facebook. And those friends want to know how you are doing outside of how much weight you lost or gained in a week.

I say that if you have friends on your page that talk about their personal lives on their newsfeed and you dont like it, un friend them. And dont read the post/blogs that have nothing to do with what you are interested in. That way, you only get the stuff that benifits you and nothing thats too 'off topic'. :happy:
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    The thing is our personal lives is what got us to the point of needing to lose weight in the first place. So, most people need support in all areas not just to talk about fitness and dieting. There is an area for off topic support and thats in Chit-Chat and Games.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    it 's not a matter of "harm", i'm just saying that there are boards for these types of posts. if i'm in the "nutrition/diet" forum, i expect to read those types of posts. that's all.
    Ummm this very thread is in the Introduce yourself board
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Chit chat fun and games, now I am not always the brightest bulb in the room, but I am pretty sure that one explains its self. Not wanting to be rude but working out sharing success stories and all that is awesome, but having fun and getting to know one another is a good thing as well...
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    There is a thread specifically just for chitchat and stuff like that. If you don't like it...don't read it.

agreed. however, if i'm *not* on the "chit chat" board, i wouldn't expect to read unrelated topics.
  • dshea55
    Options
    weight loss and bragging rights is only a portion of a person. and this place has helped a lot of people discover why they do emotionally eat or abuse themselves. This website has helped me learn a lot about myself and I am so much Happier!! So I think to you it may b off topic aqnd thats fine. but to me it isnt and I have found that the strangers on here are often a lot more supportive of my thoughts then my friends are :( which is sad!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

agreed. however, if i'm *not* on the "chit chat" board, i wouldn't expect to read unrelated topics.

Yet, you did it yourself. You posted this thread on the 'introduction' board.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    ....isn't myfitnesspal supposed to be a website about food, nutrition, weight loss & dieting? i've been seeing a lot of "off topic" posts about personal matters such as love lives, work, etc. i say save that for facebook and leave the mfp message boards/blogs for sharing recipes, bragging about your weight loss success & dieting support for those of us who need it. :flowerforyou:

It's a social forum, and not everyone is going to use the "appropriate" boards for their posts. It just goes with the territory. It'd be nice if all forums used a system like experts-exchange.com to determine which category the posts are dropped to, but that would also require a lot of maintenance and likely involve a cost. Also, some people probably know that certain boards are frequented more than others and like to see their posts bumped up.

I know it can be frustrating to sift through some of the topics sometimes, but there are far worse things to worry about in life. :ohwell:
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    Some people may not want to go to other social networks. Plus, this is a site where everyone is trying to get into a healthier lifestyle, so everyone is, so to speak, in the same boat. It's nice to talk to people you can relate to. If you have such a problem with it, then this isn't the site for you.

this site is precisely for me - because the *main* goal is to help people get on track with their weight/nutritional/diet issues. i have no problem with people posting their personal matters, as long as it's in the proper forum. just as everyone (clearly) can post whatever they want, wherever they want, i'm entitled to my opinions.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    technically, this very subject is quite off topic, also it's posted in the category...

HIGH FIVE! :D