A Personal View on Exercise Cals and Underfeeding

Options

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I only work out for 58 minutes a day at home. 30 minutes elliptical or zumba and 28 minute of 30 day shred. Not hours in the gym. And, I only burn about 400 calories during this hours. The rest comes from just living my life, and I am not going to sit on a couch all day so that I don't burn the 2800 calories that I would without exercising. The hour of exercise actually helps my overall heath so is definitely not extreme.

No, yours is definitely not extreme, didn't mean to make it sound like that's what I meant. I was agreeing where you said sometimes you just back off on it a little when you need to, and pointing out that a lot of people don't consider that an option when they're having trouble meeting cal goals. You're certainly on the right track, IMO. :wink:
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Thanks. Sorry to go on the offensive. I agree with your point. I actually delete friends who constantly underneat. I do my regulations workout but love to do pilates and yoga and don't so that I won't burn any additional calories. You opened a real cannot worms. Good post.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump to keep in my Topics :tongue:
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I just want to reiterate that depending on hunger cues, especially when you are just beginning to change your habits, is not a reliable way to judge how much you need to eat. Banks gave a great explanation of why in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits?page=10
  • tokenana
    Options
    oh wow thanks :) ha its scary to eat so much food and when they say the weight will come off and it just comes back or stays the same is so irratting i know its a long prosccess but ahh i really wish it wasent that was a terrific post
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    oh wow thanks :) ha its scary to eat so much food and when they say the weight will come off and it just comes back or stays the same is so irratting i know its a long prosccess but ahh i really wish it wasent that was a terrific post

Thanks! Very long process - but in the end you'll be healthier and happier :wink:
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Self Bump :tongue:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

And well deserved.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

And well deserved.

Haha thanks Robin :bigsmile:
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Too bad this can't be stickied. Or at least added to one of the stickies.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

it can, I'll email Cheryl and have her add it to the "Posts you want to read again and again" post, she probably would have eventually anyway.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is too long and I didn't read it. Hope someone found some benefit from it. My ADD kicked in after the first paragraph! :bigsmile:
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options

it can, I'll email Cheryl and have her add it to the "Posts you want to read again and again" post, she probably would have eventually anyway.
    That's great!! Thanks so much.
  • smfoye
    smfoye Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Though I weigh FAR more than you, I went through a similar process of starving my body and "un"learning when I was truly hungry. I am also significantly older than you. So I do try to stay at about 14-1500 cals a day now, and exercise 30 mins a day or more 6 days a week. I hope, over time, my body responds. I am losing, although it is slower than one would think given 1000/day calorie deficit. But that's where I should be for life, and I don't want to get used to the 2500 calories a day that mfp tells me to eat and then have to cut back again. AT least that's my approach so far. Thank you for your encouraging post.
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

That's great!! Thanks so much.

bummer, that thread has been locked (full I think). We'll figure something out.
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for writing! Your information was great and I will keep it in mind. I also love the fact that you write well and your intelligence comes through.
    My first ten pounds came off pretty easily with about 2 pounds per week, but since then it's been a struggle. I have even gained over two pounds in three days. Disappointing. I am still trying to figure out what will work now, and I am going to try to focus on lifting weights more regularly like I was doing initially. I just like doing cardio more simply because I can eat those calories back. Lifting weights doesn't do that.
    Anyway, keep it up and thanks again!
  • lisa_lotte
    lisa_lotte Posts: 216
    Options
    GREAT post!!! Thank you
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    . I never ate breakfast, rarely ate lunch, ate a good dinner and snacked all evening. I did no purposeful exercise. I never drank water. I drank a lot of soda. The food I ate was overall pretty healthy; good protein, good carbs, not too bad on fat, very little fast food, and my snacks were generally pretty good (though of course I did do too much carbs). But at the end of the day, my intake was probably around 800-1200 most days and probably half of that was from soda. Then I would have occasional binges where I probably took in 2500-3000 in a day. But this definitely did NOT bring me up to a good daily intake, even when averaged out. So I sat at a daily average intake of around 1000-1200 for about 5 years. My BMR is about 1500, and maintenance cals at sedentary are about 2000. So I should have been losing weight, right?

This sounds very much like me, with the exception of soda. At the weekends I would eat crisps like there was no tomorrow and just snack all day on rubbish. During the week I generally followed your pattern of only really eating a main meal in the evening. I could never understand why my weight stayed the same, or crept up - even when I was religiously going to the gym 3 times a week for an hour/hour and a half.

I've tried Weight Watchers, Slimming World and Rosemary Conley and none of them worked for me. I would lose a little and then just stick.... and stick... and stick.... Generally my weight would yo-yo between 11 st 7 pounds and 12 stone 3 pounds. Since joining MFP in February, I am now under 11 stone for the first time in years and look forward to losing a little more. I eat far more than I ever would have considered previously and I eat back most (if not all) of my exercise calories.