Gaining muscle

Options

Replies

• NoelleED
    NoelleED Posts: 148
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    OP, are you actually a new lifter? How long have you been lifting?

Off and on again my whole adult life, actually. Sometimes I get quite discouraged, even though I am very strong, because of the stereotypes of fat women. Though I will readily admit that the men in my local gym are really awesome and nice to me. They are very supportive. The women, erh... depends on the woman. But the men generally accept me when I show up. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    NoelleED wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I will guess you mean maintain mass because plenty of people increase in strength on a deficit.

At least in my legs.

I am also not opposed to the idea of losing the fat and then regaining the strength if I need to do it that way. But damn, it sounds an awful lot like men are suggesting women just can't possibly be smaller and strong.

Nobody suggested that, but if you want to play the off in left field game, go for it. Only makes you look more reasonable.

Here is what I asked:

Can I lose the fat and still keep the muscle - or gain muscle.
    -
    Everybody - NO THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE.

Well, that's a somewhat short-sighted answer, isn't it? We know that many women at smaller weights are extraordinarily strong. It's not like it would be IMPOSSIBLE for me to get there, but the route may be circuitous at best.

you are confusing muscle with strength...they are not the same...

You may well be right. I would appreciate people sharing their knowledge on the differences. It is my strength that I value.

muscle gain is the process of building new muscle, which is accomplished by eating in a calorie surplus and lifting heavier and heavier weights.

Strength is the process of training your muscles to work more efficiently. Example - while eating in a calorie deficit I increase my deadlift from 250#to 275#; I have not added any new muscle, I have just training the existing muscle to perform the lift more efficiently. Essentially this is making your muscles more productive aka do more with less, or more with the same...

does that help?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I think some people are both cognitively challenged along with being just generally mean. I don't give a crumb if losing the fat means I automatically become less strong - it would be MY CHOICE then to maintain the muscle OVER WEIGHT LOSS. Derpy der kids, try and keep up.

your original post said you wanted to build muscle and lose fat ..it was not until like page two that you clarified you meant maintain strength and lose fat...

so while some may need reading comprehension, others may need writing comprehension...

I already apologized for misleading the peanut gallery.

So polite, I'm amazed more aren't lining up to help you with commentary like that.

Oh my goodness, if you don't like it then use all your thinky skills to navigate away.
    Calls people bullies and in the same breath shoots insults. Only one person doing that in this thread.

The most amusing parts is.........claiming abnormally strong female strength because, Nordic.........spends the whole thread complaining about mean people.

Shhh, must use thinkies.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You can still lift to retain the muscle you have. When you reach goal, then you can focus on getting cut and strong on a surplus while still keeping the fat off. I don't think you should give it up altogether. It still burns calories and it will still work to keep what you have.
  • NoelleED
    Options
    and also, I have never really 1. tried to lose weight or 2. kept track of my diet/nutrition before... and I never researched lifting or anything... I have always been kind of on the sidelines, mainly because of my own issues.
  • NoelleED
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Calls people bullies and in the same breath shoots insults. Only one person doing that in this thread.

The most amusing parts is.........claiming abnormally strong female strength because, Nordic.........spends the whole thread complaining about mean people.

lol I'm not abnormally strong for a Nordic lass.
  • NoelleED
    Options
    You can still lift to retain the muscle you have. When you reach goal, then you can focus on getting cut and strong on a surplus while still keeping the fat off. I don't think you should give it up altogether. It still burns calories and it will still work to keep what you have.

Thank you.
  • NoelleED
    Options

muscle gain is the process of building new muscle, which is accomplished by eating in a calorie surplus and lifting heavier and heavier weights.

Strength is the process of training your muscles to work more efficiently. Example - while eating in a calorie deficit I increase my deadlift from 250#to 275#; I have not added any new muscle, I have just training the existing muscle to perform the lift more efficiently. Essentially this is making your muscles more productive aka do more with less, or more with the same...

does that help?

Yes, thank you.

So can I maintain (or increase) my strength while on a calorie deficit/losing fat?
  • dbmata
    Options

No one said it can't be done, but is that you? Because the person in that video looks very well trained.

Oh, wait, this is the OP?

I don't see 280 pounds on that frame.

I'm pretty sure it's not. I'm just confused as to what was the purpose of posting the video.

Of course it isn't, there's no purpose to the video other than to show that a woman can lift something heavy. Ok, numerous powerlifting records show that. It was a logical fallacy and deflection on her part. Essentially a composition fallacy.
  • NoelleED
    Options

Of course it isn't, there's no purpose to the video other than to show that a woman can lift something heavy. Ok, numerous powerlifting records show that. It was a logical fallacy and deflection on her part. Essentially a composition fallacy.

I like the word fallacy.

Someone said "try it and get back to us" as though it were impossible. Obviously not impossible.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

does that help?

Yes, thank you.

So can I maintain (or increase) my strength while on a calorie deficit/losing fat?

Lots of programs on Google to increase strength while in calorie deficit.
  • dbmata
    Options

does that help?

Yes, thank you.

As has been said multiple times.

Yes. Although more accurately would be: maybe.

It depends on a lot of factors. Commitment, consistency, proper intake, proper output.

You can half *kitten* it and wave a bunch of iron around and probably get some results. OR. You can gather data, work in a reasonable programming schedule, analyze said data and adjust as needed.

Based on your posting history, I think your previous statement of getting a trainer is probably an excellent one.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    OP, are you actually a new lifter? How long have you been lifting?

Off and on again my whole adult life, actually. Sometimes I get quite discouraged, even though I am very strong, because of the stereotypes of fat women. Though I will readily admit that the men in my local gym are really awesome and nice to me. They are very supportive. The women, erh... depends on the woman. But the men generally accept me when I show up. :)
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "off and on," but I doubt you're going to be seeing any noob gains if you're not a beginner.

I seems like you're really sweating the small stuff and it's getting you off track. You need to figure out what your primary goal is right now, then people here can help you get there.

Do you want to lose weight? Or, do you just want to focus on lifting more weight to the exclusion of all else?

Focus on the results -- if you are able to progressively increase your lifts, even slowly, who cares if it's because you're actually making more muscle fibers or if it's because your body is lifting more efficiently? If your goal is to lose some weight while still staying strong, it doesn't matter. The way you get there is to eat at a small deficit and keep lifting.
  • dbmata
    Options

I like the word fallacy.

Someone said "try it and get back to us" as though it were impossible. Obviously not impossible.

You're projecting. :)

It was said, try it and report back. As that's the only way you'll know. If you won't try it, then obviously it's completely impossible for you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

does that help?

Yes, thank you.

yes, but like others have said it is going to be dependent on a lot of factors..

I know that when I do a aggressive cut, say 500 calorie deficit, that after about three to four months my lifts start feeling like sh** and I can tell that my strength is starting to suffer a little....usually at that point I up calories to say a 250 calorie deficit..

which is why you should try with a 250 calorie deficit and go on a heavy lifting program and see how it goes...
  • NoelleED
    Options

I guess it depends on what you mean by "off and on," but I doubt you're going to be seeing any noob gains if you're not a beginner.

I seems like you're really sweating the small stuff and it's getting you off track. You need to figure out what your primary goal is right now, then people here can help you get there.

Do you want to lose weight? Or, do you just want to focus on lifting more weight to the exclusion of all else?

Focus on the results -- if you are able to progressively increase your lifts, even slowly, who cares if it's because you're actually making more muscle fibers or if it's because your body is lifting more efficiently? If your goal is to lose some weight while still staying strong, it doesn't matter. The way you get there is to eat at a small deficit and keep lifting.

I want to lose fat. But I do not want to lose my strength.

Also, thank you for the reasonable response.
  • NoelleED
    Options

I like the word fallacy.

No one said it's not possible. The phrase try it and get back to us is directed at you personally, "You, try it and get back to us". No one said it can't be done. Most of us here know at least 1 or 2 females that put up numbers like that. But the thing is, no one is talking about the people we know, or the girls in the video. Instead it's about you.

Yes, we are talking about me and how I can get there.
  • dbmata
    Options
    you've been shown how. You'll either do it, or you won't.