Friends who don't exercise?

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Guys, the OP wasn't really asking for your opinions on whether or not she should exercise or how she should force herself to exercise when she doesn't want to. She was asking for friend requests from other people who also don't exercise. She already said earlier in the thread that she does walk around campus a lot, so it's not like she sits on her butt all day every day. Yes, exercise is good for you. But she's also perfectly entitled to hate it and avoid it if she wants to. Maybe one day she will start exercising but today is clearly not that day, so there's not much point in criticising her.

I'm not trying to criticize the OP - she can do whatever she wants to do. As I said, there are a lot of people on this site who do not exercise. She will find friends.

But, we also have people that read these forums that don't comment. For those people, I think it's important to point out common excuses and say, "hey - you don't have to choose between exercise and having a busy life." They are not mutually exclusive events! If OP takes that as an attack, then that's her choice. I'm just saying, there's a bigger picture here.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Of course you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but even something small goes a long way. Most of the exercise I do is just walking. Is there a way you can fit 30 minutes walking around campus into a study break? Think of it as not for your weight loss, but for your overall health.

This. Right here. You don't have to go to the gym and sweat through a power lifting class to exercise! Find something physical that you like and enjoy and do that. Dance, walk around campus, swim, hike, walk the dog, anything that incorporates movement. Can you lose weight without exercise? Absolutely!!! However, will you have the body that you want? Skinny with no muscle tone looks a whoooooole lot different that think with nice muscles. Clothes fit differently, your body looks different and you just feel better - mentally as well as physically. Exercise does so much more than help you lose weight. It improves your overall health and well-being - easily as much mentally as physically.

I am far from a gym rat. Yes, I do spend some time at the gym, but usually on a machine, by myself, and only when I can't get outside because of the weather or some other obstacle. I much prefer hiking in the mountains near my house, walking at lunch with some co-workers, working in my garden and yard or playing ball with my son. Exercise can be so much more than sweating in the gym!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    im in maintenance and the most excersize I do is yoga and walking. I just dont like crazy hard workouts. add me if ya like.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Lets take a different approach OP (friend). How does your family history look? I know my genetics are complete trash and I cannot believe that me being one of the heaviest in my family generation that I have not had any problems from high blood pressure.

Everyone's overweight except my 90 pound 15 year old sister. I'm probably going to be overweight when I'm older, but for now I'd like to be thinner for the sake of my own pride.

What a fatalistic attitude! I have been overweight my entire life. I so wish I had learned at 19 what I know now and had started doing something about it then. If you start now with good habits eating and moving your body, why would you ever need to be over weight??? Stop the cycle now, while it's easy!!!

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    OP, Print out this thread, put it in a safe place. Take it out in 30 years and read all the responses. When you are 50ish and bemoaning the fact that you have assorted aches, pains and maladies associated with "getting older", you will rue the day you 'pooh-poohed" the idea of exercise.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    50sFit wrote: »
    The person who resulted to name calling, well forget them, but i think i can understand what @50sfit is saying but for me it could have been worded better.

Can i ask why you dont exercise? you may regret it later. check out the posts of people who lost the weight and still unhappy with their bods afterwards.

Who name called?
    Nobody name called. Whoever flagged you for that is abusing the system. I was trying to make a point and get the OP thinking about the implications of connecting with friends who are not striving to become the best version of themselves.

Worry not; we all have opinions. I welcome them agree or disagree. <3

Actually someone did and the post is now faded out. They called the OP an idiot. Now, I wouldn't call her an "idiot"...she just needs to get her priorities straight if she wants a healthy lifestyle. She's still young so there's hope yet (doubtful but I'm optomistic)

I'm not so doubtful. At 19 years old I didn't care about fitness, either. It didn't really hit me until my late 20s. People think they are invincible at 19. Part of growing up.

Ditto. Totally regret not getting onboard in my 20s. Live and learn :)

I don't think fitness is something I'm going to grow into. My family doesn't exercise at all. I've been brought up to prioritize other things. Kudos to all of you for making the choice to exercise, but it's not for me.

one word...LAZY!

Sure, maybe I'm lazy. I've chosen to challenge myself in different areas, exercise isn't one of them. It's just a different lifestyle.

Just throwing it out there, because you continue to say you challenge yourself in other areas...

So do I. I have a full-time demanding career, I just finished my MBA, I have friends I love and family that live nearby. I have a house to maintain all by myself. I'm dating. I have pets. The list goes on and on. You aren't any busier than anyone else. Trust me.

I'm not saying I'm any busier than anyone else. I know lots of y'all have full time jobs, a brood of kids, etc. I am just not interested in exercise. I find it unpleasant and a drain on my self esteem.

I'm sorry but I don't understand the logic in the bolded statement. I have suffered from self esteem issues my whole life to the point that I would come home crying from school and think that it would be better if I could fall asleep and never wake up. I still have issues with self esteem from time to time but exercise has done nothing but HELP my esteem. I used to look in the mirror regularly and call myself a fat f***...I can't remember the last time that I called myself that and I know exercising has a huge part in that. I feel such a sense of accomplishment from it.

I didn't always like exercise either...now I love it and feel guilty when I don't exercise at least a few times a week!

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    OP, Print out this thread, put it in a safe place. Take it out in 30 years and read all the responses. When you are 50ish and bemoaning the fact that you have assorted aches, pains and maladies associated with "getting older", you will rue the day you 'pooh-poohed" the idea of exercise.

Was thinking the exact same thing myself

• vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    The person who resulted to name calling, well forget them, but i think i can understand what @50sfit is saying but for me it could have been worded better.

Can i ask why you dont exercise? you may regret it later. check out the posts of people who lost the weight and still unhappy with their bods afterwards.

Who name called?
    Nobody name called. Whoever flagged you for that is abusing the system. I was trying to make a point and get the OP thinking about the implications of connecting with friends who are not striving to become the best version of themselves.

Worry not; we all have opinions. I welcome them agree or disagree. <3

Actually someone did and the post is now faded out. They called the OP an idiot. Now, I wouldn't call her an "idiot"...she just needs to get her priorities straight if she wants a healthy lifestyle. She's still young so there's hope yet (doubtful but I'm optomistic)

I'm not so doubtful. At 19 years old I didn't care about fitness, either. It didn't really hit me until my late 20s. People think they are invincible at 19. Part of growing up.

Ditto. Totally regret not getting onboard in my 20s. Live and learn :)

I don't think fitness is something I'm going to grow into. My family doesn't exercise at all. I've been brought up to prioritize other things. Kudos to all of you for making the choice to exercise, but it's not for me.

I grew up with parents who taught me that exercising was a complete waste of time. It was something that I used to despise doing but now I can't imagine not exercising. It gives me a high and feels me with so much energy. I think you may have simply not found the right activity that you'd want to stick with.
  • sophia_del
    Options
    I really dislike exercise too, so I don't do it. Just eating healthy and not being lazy should be enough. And hey just going out and dancing all night is exercise too!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can do it without any exercise, however, exercise is great to de-stress. Exercise just feels so good. It may be good for you right before a big exam.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    sophia_del wrote: »
    I really dislike exercise too, so I don't do it. Just eating healthy and not being lazy should be enough. And hey just going out and dancing all night is exercise too!

No one wants to dance with a middle-aged woman with a flat butt

Thanks...now I feel tons better :disappointed:

Squats! :)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    When I exercise it gives me even more energy to do things. I work out 5 days a week (cardio and strength training) and I can't even seem to sit still on my off days. Back in the days "skinny" was attractive. But now, most people are wowed by lean chiseled bodies. It says something about a person who is dedicated to taking care of herself in this way. "Anyone" can starve themselves for a period to lose pounds...

I think overweight people tend to be "less successful" in life when compared to their thinner counterparts (all other things being equal). Not because they lack talent but because of blatant or subconscious discrimination. How many obese people do you see in executive positions at your companies? People associate obesity with weakness and lack of self-control. I'm not saying I agree with it (people of all shapes and sizes can be weak or self-indulgent) but it's something that I have seen my whole life. Look no further than the entertainment business for proof. It's also seen in other jobs that are client-facing. I see it all the time.

Lastly, the health issues can't be understated. Being overweight or frail isn't a good thing as you age. Working out (cardiovascular and strength training) can literally add years to your life.

If you don't like it, then don't do it. You are on notice and it's your choice.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Was thinking the exact same thing myself

I am 50 and I love the gym. I go 5 or 6 times a week. I like to sweat, how I look and how I feel when I'm done working out. Everyone has his or her own preferences but from a health stand point exercise keeps you moving and prevents lots of chronic conditions. Even walking is great…..grab your iPod and give it a try.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    But...but....exercise means you get to eat more. Therefore, exercise = awesome.

+1 The truth about exercise and me is this: I have an awesome built-in excuse NOT to do a traditional exercise. I was in a car crash over a decade ago, broke my left arm and leg pretty severely, and I suffer from a lot of pain from exercising them in a traditional way. (I can't lift or run without hurting myself, eventually.) Rather than declare my body a no-exercise zone, I found alternatives. I walk and do a yoga-type exercise for resistance.

You know why I searched for an exercise alternate? Because I can do a short workout 6 days a week (less than 1 hour) and my reward is a dessert every night that I couldn't have, otherwise. I like dessert, and I don't want to give up dessert. Therefore, I exercise. Simple.

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Lets take a different approach OP (friend). How does your family history look? I know my genetics are complete trash and I cannot believe that me being one of the heaviest in my family generation that I have not had any problems from high blood pressure.

Everyone's overweight except my 90 pound 15 year old sister. I'm probably going to be overweight when I'm older, but for now I'd like to be thinner for the sake of my own pride.

So everyone is overweight. Do you know in my family I am if not the most overweigth. High blood pressure is beating us even at young age. My cousin who I think is underweight has high blood pressure at

Why are you accepting being overweight in the future?

Because life will get in the way. My mother is very overweight, but she's also an executive that travels the globe and earns respect wherever she goes. She has two children, a husband, several pets, and she never sits down or has much time to herself. I intend to live a life like hers, she's my role model. The fact that she's overweight is irrelevant.

So she's very overweight in a high stress job, and this is the life you want to emulate? Is her death the one you're going to want to emulate as well? Because statistics are not on her side for a long, healthy life.

Being a healthy weight doesn't mean you're going to be healthy. Pretty much every doctor on the planet agrees that some form of exercise each day is good for you. Find something you enjoy and do it. It doesn't matter if you're good at it, everyone is bad at everything at first compared to how they are after working at it. The people you see at the gym who seem so awesome? They've probably been doing whatever they're doing for months, if not years, to get to that level.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I can tell that this is one of those threads that's gonna spiral quickly out of control, so I'll probably regret posting here, but ... here goes ...

I had a post yesterday in one of my groups about "stealth" exercise: Exercise that doesn't feel like exercise. Or, more to the point, exercise that doesn't feel like a chore since it's not wrapped up in going to the gym or setting out with the express purpose of exercising.

Like you, I've never been able to sustain that. I think my mind just rebels at the notion of going to the gym. I hate everything about it.

On the other hand, I like being active with activities I enjoy. And I like doing exercise for other purposes, to sort of sneak it into my day.

Some examples:
    • Moving to a top floor apartment in a walk-up building
    • Cycling to/from work
    • Walking up the stairs instead of taking the elevator
    • Going out dancing
    • Going on urban or nature excursions to take photos
    • Downhill skiing
    • Walking the dog
    • Running after kids or toddlers
    • etcetera

It sounds like you might be the same way. The first thing is to get past that mental block of "ugh, exercise" and to just add some activity into your day, however you do it. Even if it doesn't involve a gym membership.
  • Evelyn_IRV
    Evelyn_IRV Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don´t like to exercise at all, I do it now that I´m almost 30 because this extra new ponds don´t seem to be going anywhere, I used to get by just by eating healthy before, in my 20s, but not anymore, anyway add me if you like, all I´m doing is walking and yoga 4-5 times a week, I hate competitive sports, and people make fun at me at the gym for being so slow, but I don´t care.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Practice makes perfect and sweat will come out in the shower.

I learnt how to ride a bike last year I now know anything is possible if you put in the effort. I looked a right fool screaming in the park whillst trying to stay on but felt so accomplished when i got there. Don't shy away from things you are not comfortable with.

I hate exercise so you can friend me but I exercise 5_6 days a week because of the benefits it gives.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    3v31yn wrote: »
    I don´t like to exercise at all, I do it now that I´m almost 30 because this extra new ponds don´t seem to be going anywhere, I used to get by just by eating healthy before, in my 20s, but not anymore, anyway add me if you like, all I´m doing is walking and yoga 4-5 times a week, I hate competitive sports, and people make fun at me at the gym for being so slow, but I don´t care.

I keep hearing about these people. I never see them though. I wanna see them. I'm sure a beatdown might change there mindset.