The official nightshift thread....

Options

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I work 11-7 at a DV shelter. Looking forward to going home :)

what does DV stand for? and welcome BTW

• LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what a DV is as well...

and I think suffer got lost on his walk...maybe one of his dog patients can find him and show him the way home? :smiley:
  • reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    DV = domestic violence
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    Thank you for the clarification....and wow...you help provide a much needed service to those that have suffered abuse. :awesome:
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,239 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was 15 minutes from finishing and a dog came in with a piece of grass down in the ear canal. The last time I got on the treadmill at 3 AM, it was a guinea pig that came in. I'm jinxed. :smile:

Congratulations Darkrose!

Welcome to all the newcomers. I leave for a quick 5K and the boards go wild! People joining, people getting married. It's crazy! :smile:
  • reginastiffler
    Options
    Yeah... its not exactly my first choice though. I used to be a paramedic, and if I could go back to that I would. Also used to work for a suicide crisis line, also night shift. Still looking for another crisis line to work for til I finish school :)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I could never work for a suicide crisis hotline. That would be depressing. I'd be talking for about 30 minutes and then start to agree with them. "Yep, your life really sucks. I don't think I would want to live your life either. Sorry, I can't give you any words of encouragement."
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    Yeah... its not exactly my first choice though. I used to be a paramedic, and if I could go back to that I would. Also used to work for a suicide crisis line, also night shift. Still looking for another crisis line to work for til I finish school :)

Wow, you only like the boring mundane jobs(Sarcasm) , Good for you. Takes a special person to deal with all of those things.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Options
    I could never work for a suicide crisis hotline. That would be depressing. I'd be talking for about 30 minutes and then start to agree with them. "Yep, your life really sucks. I don't think I would want to live your life either. Sorry, I can't give you any words of encouragement."

"Suicide Hotline, Can you hold", I would be fired the first night.
  • reginastiffler
    Options
    lol Fortunately, most of what I did was assess their risk/lethality and convince them to meet with the mobile crisis team. If it was really bad and they didn't wanna meat with the crisis team, we called the cops and let them deal with it :) We weren't a talk line, so I didn't have to listen to them tell their whole life story. (Yet, I'm getting my degree in professional counseling, so I'm gonna end up doing that anyway)
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    I'm starting to think my seizure dog isn't going to make it. We've pushed almost 1 liter of fluids in the last 8 hours and she still has not urinated. Guess we will know at 6 AM when we recheck the blood work.
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    I'd just a soon put them in 4 points, give them some ativan and then call the mental health line for an eval....
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    I'm starting to think my seizure dog isn't going to make it. We've pushed almost 1 liter of fluids in the last 8 hours and she still has not urinated. Guess we will know at 6 AM when we recheck the blood work.

So sad.... 125cc/hour? must be a big dog.

• reginastiffler
    Options
    I thought 4 point restraints were a no-no now lol Thought it had to be 3, AND someone had to watch them all the time.
  • LadyRN76
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Absolutely someone has to watch them....3, or 4 (if you're old, like me, and still remember them) points...especially leathers are dangerous for everyone involved. #1 - the patient #2 The staff, because you're having to put them on for some reason and it's not because they want to play patty cake.
  • sufferlandrian
    Options
    Why not 4 points? Doesn't 3 points make it so they can still hurt the staff?
  • reginastiffler
    Options
    I think it is three in order to prevent them from doing anything like..... not breathing ;)
  • LadyRN76
    Options
    4 points got a bad rap because staff wouldn't actually watch the patients...and bad things happened. I still say they are necessary at times and that staff..and patients get hurt unnecessarily because of the regulations now in place.
    ***off of soapbox***

It's night 7 of 7 y'all...WOOHOO...
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have firmer, smaller boobs than the saggy pancake ones I've been left with since gravity and age and weight issues took over. *grr* really? and, heck...there's always plastic surgery to get hers back to the pre weight loss size.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Why not 4 points? Doesn't 3 points make it so they can still hurt the staff?

suffer and regina, 3 points is dangerous to them and to staff and a complete no-no. it's either 2-points or 4-points here. If the person is in 3, they could somehow work themselves out of the 3 restraints. they could somehow entangle themselves. they have a hand free to strangle themselves. they have a hand/leg free to hit/kick staff. also, 3 points isn't legal here. We start at 4-points for everyone's safety, and when the meds kick in and we feel we can take the person out of restraints we can "road test" them in 2-points. If they do well in 2's, we quickly un-restrain them. Restraint sucks.

lady, that blows. there should always be someone watching a person in restraints. where i live/work, we are mandated to document that someone laid eyes on the patient every 15 minutes and document things like if they are breathing, how their circulation is doing and so on (I don't do this doccumentation. My nurses do this). Also, there are regulations as to how LONG a person can legally be restrained. They are VERY necessary. Any psychiatric hospital with a retraint-free policy (I kid you not, I have heard of such thing), is a dangerous place to be.