So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    SpecialKH wrote: »
    Advice on making some progress....

46 y/o woman, overweight and not very fit but healthy until my BP started going up a year ago so starting in March this year I made a concerted effort to get in the best shape of my life. I've been skinnier and I've been fitter but I've never been both.

By August I could go for 3 "miles" in 30 minutes on the elliptical (and down45 pounds by then) so in August I decided to sign up for a 5K the first week in October. Fortunately a friend suggested I "take it to the streets" before the actual race. Fabulous advice because I only went a tenth of a mile. Where did my newly acquired aerobic conditioning go?!?! Why were my hip flexors and quads sore for 4 days after?!?!

As I went running that day on a whim in my Old Navy "athletic" shoes (only called that for the looks not the function!) I decided I needed better shoes as my Old Balance had become lawn mowing shoes. Bought a discounted pair of irregular Nikes. Better. Not great. Certainly more colorful. :o .3 mile this time.

As I tend to research things to death I studied the art of jogging. And learned I needed to be fit/gait analyzed at a real running store. He didn't put me on the treadmill (tho they had one w/ camera) but he did ask where my shoes wore, support needed, how my knees felt, etc. And I bought a very good pair of Asics Gel running shoes after trying about 6-7 pairs. In fact I think I only own one pair of shoes (riding boots) that cost more than these.

But oh. my. gosh. They are worth it.

Also that I was going too fast. So I downloaded Map My Run, found a trail I loved and went to it. By race day I was up to .5 mile running and walked most of it. That's OK. Now I seem to be stuck at 1 mile. I have slowed it to the point I could speedwalk faster. Here I go, loping along. My heart/lungs say they could do this forever. I'm out of breath but would be able to talk, albeit very 'breath-y' but stabilizes to a nice 2 strides IN, 2 strides OUT (which isn't what I've read is recommended but the 2 IN/3OUT makes me feel oxygen deprived).

But at .3 I'm questioning my commitment; by .5 I'm feeling empowered. by .8 my legs feel very tired and by 1 mile I swear I think I'm going to trip if I don't slow down because my legs feel so weak I'm just plopping them down in front of me. And the only times I've gone a mile were after TWO days of rest. One day in between runs doesn't get me the mile.

I do 4x8 reps of leg presses at 170 pounds now; calf raises 4x8 at 90 pounds, hip ad/abductors at 130 pounds... I'm 5'6" and have gone from 230 to 175 pounds and those weights have all increased during my tenure at the gym. How can I get past the 1 mile mark? Granted I've progressed from nothing to 1 mile in 6 weeks but I guess having done so much cardio and strength training for the previous 6 months I should be able to do the whole 3.15 miles. Right now I jog VERY SLOW (13.5mph) for as long as I can, then brisk walk and when I feel I can jog I go at it again and just keep alternating. I do the whole 3.15 in 38-40 minutes on average.

I don't want to be a long distance runner - I just love this scenic route, the "ME" time and knocking out some calories in an efficient manner OUT of the gym. I do use the treadmill now from time to time - that's where I got my very first full mile in.

Would I be better if I don't exhaust my first mile and instead alternate sooner? Back off to running twice a week and focus more on strength?

Unfortunately, at first nothing helps running except, well, running. So its no wonder that you weren't able to run 5k after just doing elliptical. It is ok for general cardio, but the stress patterns and motions are completely different from running. So first and foremost - don't feel bad. You can have all the endurance in the world, but if your legs aren't used to the motion and impact, they just aren't used to the motion and impact.

As far as how you should progress, I'll ask what are your goals? It doesn't sound like you want to be a marathon runner - but would you like to run a whole 5k? 10k? Run/walk works for some people, but I get that most of us don't make it our goal to run/walk a race - we want to run a race.

If the goal is to run a whole 5k by, say, Christmas, here's what I would do: set aside 3 days to run per week. Don't try to run a whole 5k every time. Next time you go out, try to slow down to 14 minute miles, and run 1.1 or 1.2 miles continuously. If you want, you can fill up the rest of the usual mileage with run/walk - but the goal each week will be to increase the amount of continuous time spent running. This will get you over the mile mental hurdle (so much of running is mental). One thing I don't like about C25K is that there is a huge jump from intervals to "ok now run for 20 minutes straight" that freaks people out. You don't have to do it that way.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    fitzbe wrote: »
    Hello! I've always hated running but decided to make a big change, so I tried c25k. I made it to about week 5 when I had to stop due to pain/tenderness in the back of my ankles. Reading online, it sounds like tendonitis. I stopped running and after about two months the tenderness has almost stopped (it faded little by little but I feel just a slight twinge if I try to jog still). Once it's healed, I'm hoping to pick up running again, but I'm afraid it will happen again! Does anyone have any advice? How can I prevent this kind of injury?

So if its peroneal tendonitis, its a common overuse injury. I'll start by saying that you should always consult a doctor about this sort of thing. I can't fully diagnose what's going on over the internet (nor should you trust an internet stranger to give you medical advice).

That being said, if it is tendonitis, there are some steps you can take. Keep your calves loose and rolled out/stretched (foam rolling is good). Tight calves increase the tension and cause the tendon to rub more. Overpronation also causes the tendon to rub, so if you haven't been fitted for proper running shoes, do this.

In order to treat it, ice it for 10 minutes several times a day. If it hurts, stop the activity. Also, avoid running on any steep slopes, as this can make the tension worse. Go slow, don't be afraid to take extra time off.
  • fitzbe
    fitzbe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you, ThickMcRunFast!
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks Sue & McRun -

I do want to run a 5K - actually I just want to be ABLE to run 5K. The trail I run has lots of different loops and options so I can form longer or shorter runs, but I tend to stick with 5K. It's a combination of bucket list, frustration at NOT running the October 5K plus committing to the gal who did it with me (who also can't run far) that we WILL RUN next year with a timed bib. (And oddly enough I'm actually ENJOYING it which I NEVER thought I'd say!) So I have lots of time to improve. :) If I've only gotten one mile under my belt in 6 weeks I really don't think I can hit 5K by December.

Unless... is there a point where beginners make great progress that I haven't hit yet? Do you get to, say, 1.5 miles and all of a sudden the body gets in a groove and now 3 isn't much harder?

I wasn't sure if C25K it would be the right training program for me - if it's better to alternate right from the beginning like they recommend vs. go as far as I can and THEN alternate walk/run the remaining mileage. I always do the whole 5K not because I'm attempting the whole thing each time but roughly 3 miles is my usual distance. If I'm feeling weak or unwell, etc. I cut it to 30 minutes regardless of distance.

I will try to slow it down even more and keep plugging along. I'm trying to run 3x a week; gym 5x total w 2 days strength and cardio (walking/elliptical) and the other 3 running. So that does mean I'm usually running the day after legs. I'll try to arrange for the day after legs to be a rest day.

Thanks again!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks Sue & McRun -

I do want to run a 5K - actually I just want to be ABLE to run 5K. The trail I run has lots of different loops and options so I can form longer or shorter runs, but I tend to stick with 5K. It's a combination of bucket list, frustration at NOT running the October 5K plus committing to the gal who did it with me (who also can't run far) that we WILL RUN next year with a timed bib. (And oddly enough I'm actually ENJOYING it which I NEVER thought I'd say!) So I have lots of time to improve. :) If I've only gotten one mile under my belt in 6 weeks I really don't think I can hit 5K by December.

Unless... is there a point where beginners make great progress that I haven't hit yet? Do you get to, say, 1.5 miles and all of a sudden the body gets in a groove and now 3 isn't much harder?

I wasn't sure if C25K it would be the right training program for me - if it's better to alternate right from the beginning like they recommend vs. go as far as I can and THEN alternate walk/run the remaining mileage. I always do the whole 5K not because I'm attempting the whole thing each time but roughly 3 miles is my usual distance. If I'm feeling weak or unwell, etc. I cut it to 30 minutes regardless of distance.

I will try to slow it down even more and keep plugging along. I'm trying to run 3x a week; gym 5x total w 2 days strength and cardio (walking/elliptical) and the other 3 running. So that does mean I'm usually running the day after legs. I'll try to arrange for the day after legs to be a rest day.

Thanks again!

All I can give you is my own experience since I'm not a running guru by any stretch of the imagination. :)

I think which method you choose is really up to your personal preference. I have found it easier, and overall faster, to keep increasing the running interval length as time has gone on. One of the reasons this works better for me is that I'm not getting to the point that I need to walk; I have scheduled walk intervals which improves my energy level and that keeps me from getting so tired by the end that my walk intervals end up being longer than the run intervals and my running pace slows way down. Now, that said, I had to take a few months off earlier this year due to a foot injury. When I started running again I decided it was time to work on increasing my run intervals and maybe even try to get to the point where I'm running the whole 5K. When I started up again in May I was running about 2 minutes before I had to stop. I'm now to the point where I can run the first mile and a half, and beyond, without stopping so I think there's definitely a point where you can suddenly go much further without walking (C25K has a few weeks where the running time increases drastically from the previous week and most people find they have no problems if they can get past the mental part of it.) The difference is, if I do run a mile and a half before my first walk interval, the rest of the run is more difficult. On the other hand, if I use a shorter (6-7 minute) run/1 minute walk intervals, I finish faster and without being as tired.
  • hdrider406
    hdrider406 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I recently started running again after many years dormant. I found that I did best when I allow myself to progress at my own pace. Even when I was a strong runner I was slow. I just say don't be too hard on yourselves. Even if you go 1/10 of a mile more than the last time celebrate that win!
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sue & McRun -

Thanks again!

I'd really consider a C25K program.

I can only speak from my experience, but it seems like the program does a good job of building your body up to running the full distance You mention the point where your body suddenly gets 'in a groove.' For the folks who've done the Zen Labs C25K program it's the '20 minute run day'. For the entire program you've been building alternating walking/running - then it feels like it drops a 20 minute run on you out of nowhere. You think 'wait a minute'... I'm not ready for that.

But then you finish it and realize you can. Then (spoiler alert) it pushes you to 22 and 25 minute . And I remember on those runs that it felt like those extra 2 then 3 minutes were a LOT of work. And suddenly...at least for me, my body pushed through.

By the end of the program you can run 30 minutes. Then you tack on another 5...and another 5. You'll reach a point where there isn't a big difference between running 3 miles or 8...you just get in a groove and click off the miles.

Good luck!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Gabbo's post is timely as I just ran the 20-minute run day in the Zen Labs' C25K program. I couldn't recommend the program more strongly. I mean, four weeks ago I could barely run 90-seconds at a time! The 20-minute run wasn't easy but I felt strong and capable.

I'm relatively fit, just never been much of a runner so even on days when I felt like I could do more, I've gone slow and stuck with the program (run/walk). I would really recommend it. Even if you're already running, you can always work on the intervals for speed.
  • miz_ppyn
    miz_ppyn Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i just started the c25k. your post makes so much sense. thanks.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Great post!
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Bump... haha i love the line suck it up buttercup! :D
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Bump... haha i love the line suck it up buttercup! :D

Me too - i used it on someone today! Straight from this thread...
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    great info :smiley:
  • sdogg626
    sdogg626 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Having past running experience made it hard to step out of my own head. After I read this today, the tip about SLOWING down finally totally clicked and I had an amazing (slow =)) run with my dog tonight! Thank you!!
  • peter7361
    peter7361 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

For the most part, I find that the first mile of my runs tends to be the most difficult. I started running back in May and could barely make it around the block. I'm up to 3~5 miles a day, 4 to 5 days a week, but that first mile each time is still a challenge. It seems like after warming up and stretching, my body still needs a little time to get into gear and start going. Push yourself to keep jogging that first mile. After that, it's all one step at a time.
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi there...hoping someone knowledgeable sees this. I REALLY want to run, not really be a runner, but be able to run a couple miles at least. I have J-curve of to the spine, patella-femoral syndrome and I have dealt with shin splints.

I want to know, what's the best way for me to start out? When I have gone out jogging, I've loved it. Until later that day or the next. My calves are too tight and I've gotten the shin splints. My knees will turn to jello and my lower back will hurt. I don't know if my posture or strike is wrong, or maybe my body isn't physically capable of running like I want.

I have the running shoes suggested I get after them watching me walk and jog, I hydrate, and I eat the proteins I need. What can/should I do?
  • dragontower22
    dragontower22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been running long distance for a long time 40+ miles per week. I really just wanted to look and see what advice someone would give to a new runner. I love this post. Covers all the basics. The only thing I would add is Join your local running club and get involved. You will make amazing supportive new friends and it can help with motivation throughout the year! Roadrunners of America has chapters all over the country and welcomes all levels from walkers to the elite. Run happy!
  • goldenglow90
    goldenglow90 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use an app called runmeter and did the training program for 5k, I'm now doing the program for 10k. I'm on week 4, running 3 times a week, about 10-15k a week as well as doing 2 fitness classes at the gym. My shins have started to become really sore. I'm not sure what I should do, I don't want to stop running, how can I ease off enough to recover and prevent this from happening again?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Shin splits are generally caused by one of 4 things:

1. Too much, too soon - too many miles before you're body is ready for them
    2. Not enough rest between sessions
    3. The wrong shoes
    4. A hard surface without enough cushioning on your feet

When you do your fitness classes are you wearing shoes? On a floor with no give (concrete)? Are the classes high impact activities (bouncing, jumping)?

If yes to any of these, and you want to continue to run, then it's the fitness classes that need to go for the time being. If your fitness classes are high impact with a lot of bouncing around you aren't giving your body enough rest between doing these types of activities and your shins are telling the tale. On the days between runs, switch to a non- or low-impact form of cardio like the elliptical, swimming, biking or walking.

If it's not those things, a less common one is if you're running on a treadmill at zero incline. That will put strain on your shins. Changing the incline to 1% will not only better simulate running outdoors, it will reduce the strain on your shins.
  • goldenglow90
    goldenglow90 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Shin splits are generally caused by one of 4 things:

1. Too much, too soon - too many miles before you're body is ready for them
    2. Not enough rest between sessions
    3. The wrong shoes
    4. A hard surface without enough cushioning on your feet

When you do your fitness classes are you wearing shoes? On a floor with no give (concrete)? Are the classes high impact activities (bouncing, jumping)?

If yes to any of these, and you want to continue to run, then it's the fitness classes that need to go for the time being. If your fitness classes are high impact with a lot of bouncing around you aren't giving your body enough rest between doing these types of activities and your shins are telling the tale. On the days between runs, switch to a non- or low-impact form of cardio like the elliptical, swimming, biking or walking.

If it's not those things, a less common one is if you're running on a treadmill at zero incline. That will put strain on your shins. Changing the incline to 1% will not only better simulate running outdoors, it will reduce the strain on your shins.

I do les mills body step twice a week and wear trainers. If it's a case of not enough rest between this and running, how would you suggest building back up to bring about to do activities like this everyday again?