brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Shin splits are generally caused by one of 4 things:

1. Too much, too soon - too many miles before you're body is ready for them
    2. Not enough rest between sessions
    3. The wrong shoes
    4. A hard surface without enough cushioning on your feet

When you do your fitness classes are you wearing shoes? On a floor with no give (concrete)? Are the classes high impact activities (bouncing, jumping)?

If yes to any of these, and you want to continue to run, then it's the fitness classes that need to go for the time being. If your fitness classes are high impact with a lot of bouncing around you aren't giving your body enough rest between doing these types of activities and your shins are telling the tale. On the days between runs, switch to a non- or low-impact form of cardio like the elliptical, swimming, biking or walking.

If it's not those things, a less common one is if you're running on a treadmill at zero incline. That will put strain on your shins. Changing the incline to 1% will not only better simulate running outdoors, it will reduce the strain on your shins.

I do les mills body step twice a week and wear trainers. If it's a case of not enough rest between this and running, how would you suggest building back up to bring about to do activities like this everyday again?

My suggestion would be to heal the shin splints, then back off one activity (say, the fitness classes) for awhile and focus on the other activity (running). As suggested, switch the fitness class to something low-impact. As your endurance/fitness-level improves, you can try the fitness class again.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I use an app called runmeter and did the training program for 5k, I'm now doing the program for 10k. I'm on week 4, running 3 times a week, about 10-15k a week as well as doing 2 fitness classes at the gym. My shins have started to become really sore. I'm not sure what I should do, I don't want to stop running, how can I ease off enough to recover and prevent this from happening again?

Try CALF COMPRESSION SLEEVES i had shin splints when i started running and these were a lifesaver!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Shoes were life-changing for me. Seriously, if you're experiencing any sort of pain/shin splints/whatever, get fitted professionally for shoes. For me, it was the difference between feeling great after a run and being in pain.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm doing c25k (and loving it! - when I'm not actually running, lol.)

This week, it's bursts of 90 seconds and 3 minutes (and I'm freaking PROUD of that three minutes, lol.)

Next week, 3 and 5 minute bursts.

Week after that, 5 and 8 minutes for two days, then TWENTY MINUTES straight. This seems insane to me. There is no way in hell I'm going to be able to run for 20 minutes in two weeks.

Then it drops back down.

So, my questions is: When I cannot run the 20 minutes, do I keep repeating that day until I can? (Seems ridiculous to repeat that day 1000 times until I can go 20 minutes and then drop back down after I've worked up, but whatever with that.)

Maybe I should just give up the app and run until I have to walk (make my own bursts?) every other day?

My body could probably run for 30 minutes. I get a knot in my right calf that must be constantly stretched and kneaded, but during the running, my legs don't tire. It's my lungs. They cannot puff out all the CO2, lol. I'm not fit and am pushing them too hard, poor babies. I mention this only because it's not that I don't want to run or work or whatever. But breathing takes over and that's that.

Sorry this is so long.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ...Week after that, 5 and 8 minutes for two days, then TWENTY MINUTES straight. This seems insane to me. There is no way in hell I'm going to be able to run for 20 minutes in two weeks.

Wait and see! C25K follows a progression. If you're doing the original CoolRunning C25K plan, you're running a total of 9 minutes this week, but you're moving for about 30 total. Next week (week 4) was, in my experience, more brutal than week 5, because you move to a total of 16 minutes of running each time (3, 5, 3, 5) and cut your walking periods down to only half the running time.

In fact, I would advise adding another 3-minute running interval on W3D3, to begin ramping up.

Then on W5D1, you run 15 minutes; on W5D2 you run 16 minutes, and then finally W5D3 you run 20. So you've built up to it. If you run a slower pace on W5D3, you should be able to do 20 minutes.

But if not, just start week 5 over again. You should be able to nail it the second time. And if not, repeat.

That is, if you want to. The Couch to 5K Police aren't going to arrest you if you continue to take walking breaks. Jeff Galloway, a former Olympian and now a running coach, recommends that most recreational runners take walking breaks during their runs, to reduce the risk of injury and to allow them to go faster during the running intervals.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

This week, it's bursts of 90 seconds and 3 minutes (and I'm freaking PROUD of that three minutes, lol.)

Week after that, 5 and 8 minutes for two days, then TWENTY MINUTES straight. This seems insane to me. There is no way in hell I'm going to be able to run for 20 minutes in two weeks.

Then it drops back down.

So, my questions is: When I cannot run the 20 minutes, do I keep repeating that day until I can? (Seems ridiculous to repeat that day 1000 times until I can go 20 minutes and then drop back down after I've worked up, but whatever with that.)

Maybe I should just give up the app and run until I have to walk (make my own bursts?) every other day?

My body could probably run for 30 minutes. I get a knot in my right calf that must be constantly stretched and kneaded, but during the running, my legs don't tire. It's my lungs. They cannot puff out all the CO2, lol. I'm not fit and am pushing them too hard, poor babies. I mention this only because it's not that I don't want to run or work or whatever. But breathing takes over and that's that.

Sorry this is so long.

The 20 minute day freaks everybody out. But if you're following the program, you'll build up enough lung capacity to do it. Do a reasonable pace and don't watch the clock and I bet you'll surprise yourself.

I was in the EXACT same boat as you when I did the program. I remember thinking there was no way - but I just kept pushing. The last few minutes was a struggle, but I was very proud when I was done.

Believe me, the program works and you're going to amaze yourself by the end... :)
  • loratliff
    Options
    You can handle W5D3. You're discrediting yourself (and the program) by not even trying.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    ...Week after that, 5 and 8 minutes for two days, then TWENTY MINUTES straight. This seems insane to me. There is no way in hell I'm going to be able to run for 20 minutes in two weeks.

Wait and see! C25K follows a progression. If you're doing the original CoolRunning C25K plan, you're running a total of 9 minutes this week, but you're moving for about 30 total. Next week (week 4) was, in my experience, more brutal than week 5, because you move to a total of 16 minutes of running each time (3, 5, 3, 5) and cut your walking periods down to only half the running time.

In fact, I would advise adding another 3-minute running interval on W3D3, to begin ramping up.

Then on W5D1, you run 15 minutes; on W5D2 you run 16 minutes, and then finally W5D3 you run 20. So you've built up to it. If you run a slower pace on W5D3, you should be able to do 20 minutes.

But if not, just start week 5 over again. You should be able to nail it the second time. And if not, repeat.

That is, if you want to. The Couch to 5K Police aren't going to arrest you if you continue to take walking breaks. Jeff Galloway, a former Olympian and now a running coach, recommends that most recreational runners take walking breaks during their runs, to reduce the risk of injury and to allow them to go faster during the running intervals.
    Maybe I should switch to that app.

This one goes from 5 and 8 minutes (for two days) and then jumps to 20. Then it goes back down.

It's very odd. You'd *think* it would build up to 20, but no. 8 minutes, then 20.

I'm going to check that app out.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    You can handle W5D3. You're discrediting yourself (and the program) by not even trying.
    If I don't switch apps, I'll try it.

But I do not see me going from 8 to 20. Maybe I'm wrong. We shall see. :)

• Kalikel
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »

Then it drops back down.

Sorry this is so long.

The 20 minute day freaks everybody out. But if you're following the program, you'll build up enough lung capacity to do it. Do a reasonable pace and don't watch the clock and I bet you'll surprise yourself.

I was in the EXACT same boat as you when I did the program. I remember thinking there was no way - but I just kept pushing. The last few minutes was a struggle, but I was very proud when I was done.

Believe me, the program works and you're going to amaze yourself by the end... :)

Thanks! We'll see, lol!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    This one goes from 5 and 8 minutes (for two days) and then jumps to 20. Then it goes back down.

It's very odd. You'd *think* it would build up to 20, but no. 8 minutes, then 20.

The CoolRunning program for W5 is:
    * Monday: 5:00 run, 3:00 walk, 5:00 run, 3:00 walk, 5:00 run
    * Wednesday: 8:00 run, 5:00 walk, 8:00 run
    * Friday: 20:00 run

If the 20 minutes freak you out, think about it this way: 8:00 run, 4:00 run, 8:00 run. Point is, if you can run 2 8-minute intervals with only a short walking rest in between, you have the physical stamina to run 20 minutes; it's a psychological game.

Just remember the sage advice: "Start out slowly, then ease off." As long as both feet are off the ground at the same time, you're running; save speed for later.
  • loratliff
    Options

It's completely psychological. It's only four more minutes than you've been running. A lot of people have posted about being scared of that day, but I've yet to read one person who wasn't able to complete it.
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info bump

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »

Then it drops back down.

Sorry this is so long.

I tried C25K and it did not work for me either. I repeated week 5 five times before giving up. I found this program:

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/RunnersEdge/5K10K1.html

to be much more attainable for me, with certain tweaks.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    That 20 minute run is all psychological. And if you can't do it, then try again another day. As long as you keep running and trying you aren't failing.

I actually got about 4 weeks in to C25K back in 2011 and decided that I really prefer the Galloway walk/run method (another poster mentioned it earlier). I've completed over a dozen half marathons and many more shorter races that way. I'm training for another Half in January and I did 8 miles today in 93 minutes running intervals of 5-6 minutes and walking for 1 minute. (Long runs are always done slower than the short ones during training.) I can run for 20 minutes straight but I find that for distance running I'm actually faster overall if I keep the intervals shorter.

The point is, do what's best for you. There's no one "right" way to run. All that matters is that you keep on doing your best.
  • BRich_15
    BRich_15 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    [quote="

I tried C25K and it did not work for me either. I repeated week 5 five times before giving up. I found this program:

[/quote]

I've done the C25K a few times before and always get stuck at week 5 for a few weeks but do get there in the end. I have thought about other programmes but I also don't like looking at the time. With the C25K I can download the podcast and put my headphones on. I have Robert telling me when to run and when to walk. I just go out and walk / run and enjoy it. This time I want to keep running and not give up when I'm back on my bike, the plan next year is to keep it going.
  • JessFromEngland
    JessFromEngland Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to seeing out you go Kalikel.
    I'm on Week3 and I sneak peeked forward to that 20minute run and I'm scared too!

Will we be on the same week by then? Add me :D
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MizT94 wrote: »
    [quote="

I've done the C25K a few times before and always get stuck at week 5 for a few weeks but do get there in the end. I have thought about other programmes but I also don't like looking at the time. With the C25K I can download the podcast and put my headphones on. I have Robert telling me when to run and when to walk. I just go out and walk / run and enjoy it. This time I want to keep running and not give up when I'm back on my bike, the plan next year is to keep it going.[/quote]

One word: Impetus! That app is amazing for any kind of training that involves time or intervals. I get voice prompts and countdown the last 5 seconds (can be turned off) whenever it's time to run or walk while listening to all of my favorite things. Highly customizable to whatever you're doing.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options

It's completely psychological. It's only four more minutes than you've been running. A lot of people have posted about being scared of that day, but I've yet to read one person who wasn't able to complete it.

Absolutely :-) this was the day I became a runner :-)))
  • loratliff
    Options
    Edie30 wrote: »

Absolutely :-) this was the day I became a runner :-)))

Agreed, since then, I've really looked forward to my runs after learning what I was capable of!