Planet Fitness?

Options
Due to financial reasons, I've recently had to quit Crossfit, which was my preferred fitness method.
Luckily, my office has a gym on site that I can (and do!) use every day. However, it is very small and only has cardio machines and dumbbells, meaning I really can't lift heavy as I would like to, and has just taken a lot of the joy of training from me.
There is a Planet Fitness opening on my block! But of course, I've heard HORROR stories galore! Is it as bad as they say? Has anyone had a positive experience with them? I am not a beginner who is going to sit on the hip abduction machine with a slice of pizza, but I am concerned that they are going to give me a hard time about heavy lifts and things like that.

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I used to go to PF for same reasons as you. The one I was going to had DBs going to 80 lbs. , no squat racks, fixed weight bars going up to 60 lbs. Lots of machines. The plus things for me-no contract and $10/mo. If you are used to heavy lifts, you may not be bale to get what you are looking for there.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    If you were into CrossFit, you will hate Planet Fitness. They won't let you lift heavy there either, or wear what you want, or check out your form in the mirror. If you get too into your workout, they will lunk alarm you.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    the PF near me just got hit with a hidden camera scandal.

Planet Fitness
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    the PF near me just got hit with a hidden camera scandal.

Planet Fitness

Looks like an isolated incident. I wouldn't be worried about this happening somewhere else.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It depends on who owns/manages your PF. While most of them don't have squat racks there ARE some that do. If the manager is a dink then they will give you grief over what you do, what you lift etc. The one that I go to doesn't give a hoot. I've done dead lifts right in front of the manager and owner and never got yelled at for it. I also where what I want. I wear tank tops and short shorts and have never had anyone say anything to me about it. Yes, there are branches where they stick religiously to the guidelines and then there are those that don't. Again, it depends on the branch, the owner, and the managers.

If it's what you can afford then go for it. I like my PF because it's affordable. If I could find a local gym that had a wide array of weights, equipment etc. and it was the same price then yeah, I'd go there but there aren't any so PF is my place of choice.

ETA: Also the one that I go to has some pretty big dudes that workout there as well and they don't get crap from anyone either.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I joined PF because it's only 8 minutes walking distance from my house and it's only $10 a month. I can go when they are open 5:30am in the morning, get my work out done in an hour, go home and get my husband and kids ready.

It's not ideal, they don't have actual racks, the dumbbell only goes up to 80lbs, they have those pre-load Barbells but it only goes up to 70lbs. Thank god there are some cable machines that I can do some good work out with. They have lots smith machines ( I don't use them) It's better then nothing since I just can't work out at home.

I haven't have anyone there come to tell me I couldn't do deadlift ( I have heard it's forbidden at PF) or maybe it's because I am there early morning and the people work there just don't care. I haven't have any bad experience from the employees there, they usually pretty nice and don't bother us.

overall, it's not the best gym for someone who's serious on heavy lifting. I wish there's a better gym by me but I can't complain since it's just $10 a month....

good luck!
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll have to go there and check it out. A squat rack is a MUST for me, and I refuse to give up deadlifts, so I guess I'll have to play it by ear. If they don't allow that, then it doesn't make much sense to leave my little office gym for the same thing somewhere else
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    avoid PF. Seriously. Tears. Pain. Gnashing.

Find a real gym.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Why would PF not allow deadlifts?
  • dbmata
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    PF and their judgy judgemental lunk alarm doesn't allow anything hard being done.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Because it's "intimidating."
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »

I cannot do one of my favorite exercise there. I will never buy a guy memebership there. I will deadlift people before going there.

• mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Sweet Jesus. Here we go again... If all you need is an elliptical, treadmill and some light weights it's fine. If you need more, you should probably find a different place.
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've seen Planet Fitness locations (online, not in person) that actually do have squat racks. It depends on the management at the location. I'm a member of PF for the same reasons you've mentioned. Mine has Smith machines (which I refuse to touch), dumbbells up to 75lbs, and fixed barbells up to, I believe, 110lbs. I've seen plenty of people deadlift using the Smith machine, as well as with the DBs and fixed BBs, and I've never seen anyone get in trouble for it.

Ideally, there would be a gym that costs $10/month that has everything you'd like, but for some people (like me), PF is good enough for now.
  • dbmata
    Options
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus. Here we go again... If all you need is an elliptical, treadmill and some light weights it's fine. If you need more, you should probably find a different place.

Did you miss the first post in the thread?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    mojohowitz wrote: »

Did you miss the first post in the thread?

Nope

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I could probably tolerate PF if if weren't for the overwhelming PURPLE everywhere!!