Clean Eating

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Just curious.....what do you do if you go on vacations and no kitchen available?? How about birthday parties with cake and ice cream are served?? It's all part of life, I eat about 80% healthy foods and 20% of awesome foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies, etc. :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    How would coffee be clean? Even if you buy whole beans, aren't they roasted? I've never see raw coffee for sale.

I always wonder that, but it never seems to be excluded. I assume it's part of how you get to define "clean" to mean whatever.

Once upon a time I was fascinated by locovorism, but coffee would definitely be a sticking point (along with a number of other things). At least it's more consistent than the "clean" stuff, though, and doesn't have a name that's intended to insult others.
  • ArleneMobley
    ArleneMobley Posts: 44 Member
    Eating unprocessed foods did make me feel better (I did it for 6 months last year) and lost 35 lbs. Then I caved with the holidays and unsupporting family/friends. But now my arthritis is back and I have gained back some of the weight. So... I am here to support those who want to make the switch. It does take effort/time and you can expect lots of ignorant comments. By ignorance I mean, they truly do not understand, how or why.

Preservatives, hormone additives, coloring, etc. are man made, so of course they are not good for us. Fast food do make life easier, and we live in a fast world. But I am going to give it a go again with clean eating because I do not want to rely on prescriptions to get me through the rest of my life. The way I eat should be something I control.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    I new to MFP. I was not aware of the controversial nature of this post.

I am just starting out. I joined last week.

Today I wish I never did.
    It is not that serious to wish you had never did. MFP is a great tool. You will get plenty of great information from posting and reading the forums. You may not like the comments in this thread, but it is a discussion board. This is what happens on the internet.

Do not take it so personal. Everyone, including you are entitled to their own opinions and choices. Yes, it is your choice, but that does not mean that people will not freely speak their opinions of that said choice.

If eating "clean" is what you prefer to do, then do it and be happy. With that said it is not necessary for weight loss. If you are not making the choice for strictly medical reasons and only for the purpose of weight loss, then you will get much feedback in regards to that.

• ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    edited November 2014
    Really, this is ok?

Lots of food comes out of a box where additives and artificial colours and flavours are added.

I do not eat shake and bake. I add basil and oregano that I purchase from the farmers market.
    I do not drink pop at all.
    I do not add sugar to my coffee or eat lunches from lean cuisine.

I choose to make my own meals from the produce I buy or the meat that I purchase.

Again, MY CHOICE.

Engage your calm, there's no need to throw fisticuffs.

I'm glad you're empowered and making a choice and farmer's market and other buzzwords.

Whatever floats your boat, just try to have a sense of humor. The clean eating thing has been discussed ad nauseam, at this point it's just mental m@sturbation.

I eat meat, but I hate violence so I buy it from the store, in a package. The idea of going out to a cow in a field and sending it to steak heaven seems a little dark, but more power to you for doing it yourself, sister.

Welcome to MFP!
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    thornborrow, welcome to MPF - sorry your first posts are showing you a side of MPF that doesn't seem as warm and cuddly as we'd all wish it to be.
    -
    Don't give up on MPF though, it's a great tool. The food and exercise tracker makes it easier to stay controlled when you use them regularly. Eventually, if you give us a try, and post to the intro board to collect some friends - as they are really good to have, when you're looking for a kick in the pants, and some added motivation.

Feel free to friend me and talk whole foods all you want.

-Rose
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    1. Nah I like my diet soda a couple times a week.. burgers???
    2. 1 tablespoon of sugar?? Why?? How will I bake if I stick to that?
    3. I cook my own meals 90% of the time - because I love to cook & bake
    4. 5-6 meals why??? I prefer 1-2 meals a day and what's this "right food" stuff?
    5. Why am I switching from white to brown?? I prefer white rice...

Why do you have to make this change? What are you thinking is going to happen if you do this for 8 weeks? I wouldn't survive a week let alone 8 ..

I have the same questions...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Go easy on the OP. She's only had 9 posts, and I doubt she expected this kind of response.

Word! OP, Please understand this is an oft posted, highly debated topic on here. A lot of what you read might cause you to bristle, but understand that it's not personal, or aimed at you. It's said in response to the concept, and between many who have debated this with each other before. And certainly take care to try and see those who legitimately question the concept and try not to see their posts as coming across with any implied vitriol.

This +100

Giving you the benefit of the doubt OP. They get very excited over this subject and you even provided a diagram which will add to the turbo frothing. Try it, but understand why you are doing it and dont make any claims about this version of clean eating that you cnat back up. It angers them.

Oh I just saw your post. Please dont worry about them and carry on with the site. You matter to you and they dont. If you want to follow that plan then do so, but still remember to lose weight you need to consume less than you burn, be that chocolate and burgers or organic fuit, veg and meat. You need a consistent deficit.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

There's really no need to be taking this so personally. No one is telling you what to eat. No one is judging you, they are commenting on a diet plan. Diet plans don't have feelings.

Listen, I get it. You're excited about a new program and you want it to work. We all have that. We all have our things that we love that other people don't like so much. Trust me, there's rarely a week that goes by here that I don't see an anti-CrossFit post. I love CrossFit. It's my jam. But, hey, if people don't like it, that's their choice. I'm not going to take it personally because they aren't judging me as a person, they are judging a workout.

I do me. They do them. We all co-exist just fine. Don't let differing opinions derail you. If you do, that just means your convictions weren't as strong as you thought.
  • lemurcat12
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    cooking from whole ingrediants helps to not eat processed foods...

Why do you need help not eating processed foods? That's what I don't get--do they come up and say "eat me"?

I sometimes eat processed foods (cheese is processed, of course), but never by accident.

I enjoy mostly cooking from whole foods, though. Sometimes I include processed foods (cheese, olive oil, coconut oil, etc.) with whole foods when cooking. It's kind of transgressive, I know.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    PRMinx wrote: »

There's really no need to be taking this so personally. No one is telling you what to eat. No one is judging you, they are commenting on a diet plan. Diet plans don't have feelings.

Listen, I get it. You're excited about a new program and you want it to work. We all have that. We all have our things that we love that other people don't like so much. Trust me, there's rarely a week that goes by here that I don't see an anti-CrossFit post. I love CrossFit. It's my jam. But, hey, if people don't like it, that's their choice. I'm not going to take it personally because they aren't judging me as a person, they are judging a workout.

I do me. They do them. We all co-exist just fine. Don't let differing opinions derail you. If you do, that just means your convictions weren't as strong as you thought.

Im sure your main complaint is kipping pull ups.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    How would coffee be clean? Even if you buy whole beans, aren't they roasted? I've never see raw coffee for sale.

I always wonder that, but it never seems to be excluded. I assume it's part of how you get to define "clean" to mean whatever.

Once upon a time I was fascinated by locovorism, but coffee would definitely be a sticking point (along with a number of other things). At least it's more consistent than the "clean" stuff, though, and doesn't have a name that's intended to insult others.

I've even read about how the oils in coffee made with standard roasting techniques is rancid and contributes to poor health, and there's a few companies who do some other roasting techniques which prevent this, but no one ever considers it unclean.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    So much straw in this thread.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Just curious.....what do you do if you go on vacations and no kitchen available?? How about birthday parties with cake and ice cream are served?? It's all part of life, I eat about 80% healthy foods and 20% of awesome foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies, etc. :smiley:

It's simple… you don't eat it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Completely irrelevant to the point of my post.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    So much straw in this thread.
    Is straw clean?
  • lemurcat12
    I am no longer reading this posts or replying to this board. I am utterly discouraged by the feedback presented in this discussion board.

This post was never meant to be a discussion over who is correct or what is right.

It was about My choice and my decision.

I asked for others who are trying the same program to add me. Nothing more, nothing less.

Okay, I just noticed this. I shouldn't be screwing around here, as I have something I need to get done, but I'm sorry if you find the reaction discouraging.

I am curious why you aren't interested in a discussion, though. I think it's great if you want to improve your diet (although I think some of your "rules" are kind of arbitrary or simply not relevant to a goal of better health--I tried to point this out in my numbered list).

I do dislike the term "clean," but setting that aside I AM in favor of cooking mostly from whole foods, since I think if you like to cook that's an easy way to eat more nutritious, lower calorie meals and get in lots of veggies and so on (although it's also easy to cook mostly from whole foods and include lots of calories, trust me). I just don't see why people act like this is some special way to be that requires special rules.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

No reason to feel bad at all. I remember when I first started almost 2 years ago, I thought i knew everything about dieting, I mean come on I've been doing this since I was a kid. What I thought I knew was how to overly restrict my intake, and make this much more difficult than it needed to be. Luckily because of threads like this I heard that's not necessary. I researched and listened some more. That is all everyone is telling you, you can lose weight without placing tons of rules and restrictions on your intake.

I've lost 116 lbs, improved my health, all while eating a diet full of wonderfully delicious food. So instead of getting upset, sit back realize people aren't picking on you, but on the idea you posted. It has nothing to do with you or your choices.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Do the OP's salty tears fit into the "clean eating" program?

If not, I'm going to need a mop.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Completely irrelevant to the point of my post.

I was curious like how OP does not understand why people do not see this whole clean eating diet plan necessary for anything.