Clean Eating

Replies

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    OP, I sent you a friend request. Please add me. I eat this way 100% of the time and love it. Real food tastes and makes you feel great! I haven't eaten out once in 8 weeks since I started this lifestyle. It's clearning my mind and showing me that I don't need to eat the kind of food that leads me to overeat or binge. Some people can have hot dogs, candy, cake, etc, and control themselves and not overeat. They stay under their calorie goals. Good for them. That doesn't work for all of us. For me, I feel like clean eating is a way for me to enjoy food, take control of my eating habits and find something else in life to enjoy. I have tons of hobbies I shelved because I gained weight. I want to get back to those things.

I don't take the original post that literally. The point is to eat food in as close to its natural state as possible. For example, Old fashioned or steel cut oats vs. quick oats or artificially flavored oatmeal. You can check my diary for some of the food I eat (when you accept my request; it's not public). If I were to have a hamburger, I would grind my own beef or turkey so I know what's in it.

Good luck and shake off the negativity and ridicule. It's not worth it.
  • Question: Is Cheese considered a "clean" food? I'm referring to Parmesan cheese (the real stuff from Italy) and Brie.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Just curious.....what do you do if you go on vacations and no kitchen available?? How about birthday parties with cake and ice cream are served?? It's all part of life, I eat about 80% healthy foods and 20% of awesome foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies, etc. :smiley:
    What an odd dichotomy: "healthy" and "awesome". If your healthy foods aren't awesome you're doing it wrong. :):)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I new to MFP. I was not aware of the controversial nature of this post.

I am just starting out. I joined last week.

Today I wish I never did.

There's really no need to be taking this so personally. No one is telling you what to eat. No one is judging you, they are commenting on a diet plan. Diet plans don't have feelings.

Listen, I get it. You're excited about a new program and you want it to work. We all have that. We all have our things that we love that other people don't like so much. Trust me, there's rarely a week that goes by here that I don't see an anti-CrossFit post. I love CrossFit. It's my jam. But, hey, if people don't like it, that's their choice. I'm not going to take it personally because they aren't judging me as a person, they are judging a workout.

I do me. They do them. We all co-exist just fine. Don't let differing opinions derail you. If you do, that just means your convictions weren't as strong as you thought.

Im sure your main complaint is kipping pull ups.

Completely irrelevant to the point of my post.

I was curious like how OP does not understand why people do not see this whole clean eating diet plan necessary for anything.

Then start a thread about CrossFit. Or, run a search. You've been around here long enough to know this.

I was merely using my experience on these boards as an example to show that we all have things we do that not everyone agrees with - we don't need to derail this thread with a CrossFit debate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Just curious.....what do you do if you go on vacations and no kitchen available?? How about birthday parties with cake and ice cream are served?? It's all part of life, I eat about 80% healthy foods and 20% of awesome foods like chocolate, ice cream, cookies, etc. :smiley:

drink water for the entire vacation ...
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member

It's simple… you don't eat it.

Exactly
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member

It's simple… you don't eat it.

So you're planning on never having a piece of cake or ice cream again... that would be a very sad existence, I'll go back to being fat thanks
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    astrose00 wrote: »
    OP, I sent you a friend request. Please add me. I eat this way 100% of the time and love it. Real food tastes and makes you feel great! I haven't eaten out once in 8 weeks since I started this lifestyle. It's clearning my mind and showing me that I don't need to eat the kind of food that leads me to overeat or binge. Some people can have hot dogs, candy, cake, etc, and control themselves and not overeat. They stay under their calorie goals. Good for them. That doesn't work for all of us. For me, I feel like clean eating is a way for me to enjoy food, take control of my eating habits and find something else in life to enjoy. I have tons of hobbies I shelved because I gained weight. I want to get back to those things.

I don't take the original post that literally. The point is to eat food in as close to its natural state as possible. For example, Old fashioned or steel cut oats vs. quick oats or artificially flavored oatmeal. You can check my diary for some of the food I eat (when you accept my request; it's not public). If I were to have a hamburger, I would grind my own beef or turkey so I know what's in it.

why are steel cut oats superior to instant oats?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member

There's really no need to be taking this so personally. No one is telling you what to eat. No one is judging you, they are commenting on a diet plan. Diet plans don't have feelings.

Listen, I get it. You're excited about a new program and you want it to work. We all have that. We all have our things that we love that other people don't like so much. Trust me, there's rarely a week that goes by here that I don't see an anti-CrossFit post. I love CrossFit. It's my jam. But, hey, if people don't like it, that's their choice. I'm not going to take it personally because they aren't judging me as a person, they are judging a workout.

I do me. They do them. We all co-exist just fine. Don't let differing opinions derail you. If you do, that just means your convictions weren't as strong as you thought.

I :heart: you in spite of your crossfit ways... :wink: We can't all be perfect...

Oh wait... I haven't even lifted weights now in ages... Ok carry on...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

:lol:

• ndj1979 wrote: »

Ironically, I tend to eat everything and anything on vacations and STILL manage to either lose 2-3 pounds or maintain my weight. o:)
  • Serah87 wrote: »

I do not eat out. I am married to a chef and eat out maybe three times a year. We ways eat at home or woth friends / family.

I got into late night munchies, baking and quick lunches which is part of the reason I ended up here. Chocolate is not my downfall, but other snacks are.

It's ok to say no to cake & ice cream. And I have no problems doing so.

There's really no need to be taking this so personally. No one is telling you what to eat. No one is judging you, they are commenting on a diet plan.

I have read some very judgemental posts today and they were very hurtful.

• ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    So tofu (once the ultimate health food) isn't considered "clean," right? Because it certainly does not come off the plant that way.

I cut a lot of processed food from my diet for sodium reasons years ago, but it didn't occur to get all weird and culty about it.
  • Sorry for the mistake.
    We always eat at home or with friends and family at their home*
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why are steel cut oats superior to instant oats?

steel cut things are just......cooler.

raw-deal-cold-steel-o.gif
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    edited November 2014

It's best to read the forum some and research the topic a bit more before kicking the hornets nest with an OP like that.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Why not just eat less calories for 8 weeks.

That doesn't sell books. In order to sell books, you have to create a "nutritional boogeyman" by cherry-picking studies and just randomly putting references at the end of the book to make it look like the author actually read the references and the reader can say "look at all deez references it must be true".
    ^^^ This....all day!

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    k8blujay2 wrote: »

I :heart: you in spite of your crossfit ways... :wink: We can't all be perfect...

Oh wait... I haven't even lifted weights now in ages... Ok carry on...

Cutest-panda-gifs-hugs.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I haven't eaten out once in 8 weeks since I started this lifestyle.

First, if that works for you, great. I would not choose a lifestyle (that's what we are supposed to call it, right) that required me to never go out to eat, as my social life involves eating out reasonably frequently, and I enjoy it. But that's me and you are you, so it's not criticism. There are plenty of things I don't do that others enjoy.

What I do find puzzling, though, is why eating out must be inherently "unclean" (and ugh, that term). There are lots of restaurants where you can be confident that they use high quality ingredients and cook the food much like we would at home (well, okay, often with more butter). Sometimes this means using techniques or ingredients that are more challenging for me (ethnic places) and sometimes it just means that they have more skill and are doing preparations that are more complicated and time consuming or intricate than what I'd bother with at home (fine dining or even sometimes your really good local comfort food oriented places). As I mentioned above, many times they are quite focused on local ingredients to a level that seems rare with the "clean eating brigade" here, and I certainly expect their meat and veggies to be sourced more carefully than what one typically gets at the supermarket.

And still other restaurants are more run of the mill, but still have good quality ingredients and just provide convenience or atmosphere.

My question, after all that, is why this is "unclean," and why not eating out is something that people should strive for as an ideal, as you seem to suggest in your post.