40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    hello fabulous 40+ folks!

mind if i join you? i'm canadian. i'm trying to lose 100 lbs or so. i'm new at all this stuff, but i'm happy to meet you :)
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hey Cool Kids,
    I wanted to take a moment to share the treasure I found on my ride home last night! This is a King Bolete, aka Porcini mushroom. For scale, this one is about 10 inches across. It's in they dehydrator right now, which will enhance it's awesome flavor. I see mushroom soup in my future! We're off later this afternoon to hunt for chanterelles!
    cnw8xmcsosi0.jpg
  • stef123633
    stef123633 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi all & welcome Mykaylis,

Just logging onto MFP to make sure I don't break my "streak." Hubby had surgery yesterday to fix his bicep tendon & remove some arthritis, so last 2 days have been a wee bit nutty and I'm off track.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
  • Mzklutch
    Mzklutch Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mykalis, welcome.
    Kate - lol, Mzklutch is my biker name
    Curiousgeorgi - it was cold but warmed up some. My dh is happy to see me and likewise me to see him. He will soon be joining me in a couple of weeks and I can't wait.
    I am excited that I am for the first time enjoying a journey to health. This MFP app is helping so much. Especially when I eat out. This is so eye opening when I see how unhealthy some of these things are in a restaurant even if the message of the food says "veggies or whole grain" etc. I am soooo thankful for MFP. I am down another 4lbs for a total of 10lbs and so far with my visit to Wisconsin, I have not wanted to deviate to eating unhealthy stuff even with my son tempting me. Lol. He is very skinny of course.
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend, I am!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My heart is very heavy today. A trainer at the gym committed suicide on Friday and I received word today. There are no words to describe the numbness I feel. Sean rest in peace friend. If only you knew and could feel how many of us love you and care for you. May your kids and loved ones be comforted at this distressful time. I need a break from this agony and grief.
  • stef123633
    stef123633 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear that Caramelgyrlk, very sad news indeed. Hugs to you.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Morning Kid's!
    Well off to see the Doctor this morning. Should be fun with my 3 yr. old in tow. Black coffee yuck ;)
    I'll check back later. Took a nerve pill last night so hopefully I'll have a pleasant appointment this time. LOL

Carmel- Cyber hugs sent.

• KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My heart is very heavy today. A trainer at the gym committed suicide on Friday and I received word today. There are no words to describe the numbness I feel. Sean rest in peace friend. If only you knew and could feel how many of us love you and care for you. May your kids and loved ones be comforted at this distressful time. I need a break from this agony and grief.

Caramel- so sorry to hear this. :'( (( Hugs to you my friend))

Well- another eventful weekend in my world! The procedure that my husband was supposed to have on Friday turned into surgery. They found that the infection he has had degenerated the bones and started to attack the muscle. The Surgeon had to go in and clean out the area and they put in a metal cage-like structure to support his back. I will say he has been feeling better each day since the surgery. He still has not gotten up to walk yet, but we're hopeful that this will be more successful as well.

We decided that the house I was going to buy was too much work and we weren't getting the answers and information that we needed in a timely manner, but I believe that God had a better plan because we just kept looking around at the same time we were waiting for all of the information that we weren't getting and I found a better house that is all ready for someone who is disabled. It will just need some cleaning and a bit of paint to be ready to move in to. We put an offer in on Friday and the seller accepted the offer on Saturday. We are having the home inspector go there on Monday and as long as that goes well, we will be closing on or before the 12th of December.

With everything that has been going on I have not been to the gym since last Wednesday. I had to have blood work this am so did not make it today either. Hopefully I will get there this Wednesday as I will not be there the rest of this week after that either as I am spending the remainder of the week with my family so that I am closer to visiting my husband. If the weather doesn't get too cold there, I may be able to get out and run or walk though. We'll see.

Hope everyone has a good day!

• Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Hey Kid's!
    Appointment went well. She did seem impressed with my weight loss and lower BMI. I didn't have to mention the weight/BMI at all. She brought them up. LOL. Finger prick came back at 85 so no return of my child hood anemia. Will have to wait for the labs to come back. She didn't mention my former bad labs ( cholesterol ) what so ever other than getting them done again. I did mention my lack of energy and she didn't seem to concerned since I try for close to 2 hours 5 times a week at the gym and have started taking B complex with C. Weighed 166 on their scales so only 2 lbs. more than at home ( I figure that was the jeans LOL).
    The nurse asked why I decided to lose the weight? I told him the cholesterol was the reason. He said everyone in Virginia has that. I guess people here like fried foods or something.
    Spent the rest of day running errands. Buying the turkey and even managed to get both kid's a christmas present while out.
    KellieSue- Glad a better house has come through. Sorry for more set backs in his health.
    Shhh......Josie's napping at my feet. I'll check back later.
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Caramel - I am so sorry to hear of your friend :'( I will keep you in my thoughts. There are no words that can help right now.

Our HS football team did not win the State Championship, final score was 12-17. They fought hard, the high temp was 17 degrees and very windy that day in our outdoor stadium. I give the kids a lot of credit for their season and being so tough. I was bundled up and still freezing in the WI frozen tundra.

Over the weekend went out deer hunting with family. My husband killed one but that was all she wrote for now. My calves are aching from walking the hillsides.... I love when you get a workout doing something that does not feel like a workout.
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids,

Caramel, my sincerest condolensces. So tragic.
    KS, you've had quite a weekend! I hope the surgery was what your dh needed to turn the corner and start recovering. Congratulations on the better house! That's a blessing.
    Kate, sounds like a great visit to the dr. Congratulations!
    Ruby, too bad about the game, but way to go bagging your own game!
    Hello to everyone else.

We got totally skunked this weekend. No crabs, and no new mushrooms. Good thing I found that treasure on the way home Friday.
    I'm only working today and tomorrow this week, so I'll peddle both days.
    I have a sit/stand desk at work. Totally homemade. I bought a hydraulic drafting stool with wheels (like a regular office chair, but much taller) so I can sit when I need. But today the hydraulics failed, so looks like I have a stand/stand workstation for awhile. Better wear comfortable shoes!

Got surprised by the office staff Friday with a birthday cake. *sigh* love/hate relationship with cake. It was awesome!!

Cheers,
  • Mzklutch
    Mzklutch Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi Cool kids, logging in for the day. So glad to be back in Texas and out of the cold. I managed to stay on track with my food intake and logging. Back today and got off the plane and went home, got dressed and did 30 minutes on the Elliptical.

Carmel sorry to hear about your loss. Hang in there.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options

Oh Carmel, what tragic news! If only, if only they knew how much they indeed were loved.
    I am sorry for your loss. :cry: :hug:
  • sdereski
    Options
    Monday has flown by! I have trouble logging in on the weekend as my internet is so spotty. Friday I had a good run, then headed to town to watch my g/f play hockey and also took in our local Christmas Craft show. Saturday, dance date with my granddaughter. Only this time, they asked parents / grandparents not to watch as it distracts the kids. I was disappointed, but I also get it, so I headed over and watched another game of hockey while I waited. (It's all in the same complex). After dance, Esme and I took a walk in the craft show (also in the same complex). She had several items she "needed" to buy. So cute. Grandma has a difficult time saying "no", so needed to make another trip to the bank for more cash. :) We went for lunch and then headed home. She was all tuckered out by then.
    I then went to my MIL's and together we made pierogie for 9 hours! :astonished: We ended up making over 1200! This is an annual event for her and I, but this is by far the most we have ever made. My hands were so sore from rolling dough, I could barely move them Sunday morning.
    Rained here all weekend, so much of the snow has melted. DH and I did go for a nice walk last night. We got soaked, but it was nice to be out in the fresh air.
    Heading home for the day now. Have a great evening all!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Cool Kids.

Mykaylis, welcome. Hope you stay a while.

Curious. Sorry you didn't find, catch, gather or harvest anything but that very big mushroom.

Stef, hope you DH's surgery went well.

Caramel, there are no words to make you feel better right now. I wish I was there to give you a big hug.

KellySue, hope this latest surgery will get your DH on the road to recovery. And I'm glad you found a better house. There were too many red flags with the other one.

Kate, glad the Doctor's appointment went well. I waited a year to see my Doctor, just so I could see the look on her face when I stepped on the scales and have them read 180. {as much as I hate to, I do wear clothes to weigh at Doctor's office}

Ruby, hate that your team didn't win. Those were some rough playing conditions. But getting a deer is great. I haven't been going as much as I planned. Our four day early gun season starts Thursday, so Wednesday is the end of bow season.

Mzklutch, glad you are back home and didn't turn into a block of ice in the great white north.

Sderski, that is a bunch of dumplings. What does she do with all of them?

I was off yesterday, but we had bad thunderstorms come through, keeping me in the house. In fact we lost power for almost four hours. With no internet or TV, I took a very long nap. Then last night I had trouble sleeping, which led to a trip upstairs to my library and staying up until 0200 reading. I slept in today, and got a late start on my cardio and lifting. Breakfast was at 1300, so other than eat and workout, I did nothing at all before work. {which is why I didn't post earlier}

Taekwondo is not having class tonight so I was able to get my two miles of walking in without interruption. And now the Quilter's Club have left early, so I could do the same. But I need to water the lobby plants and eat supper, not to mention Monday Night Football will be coming on soon, so I'll probable work until my usual time.

Hope everyone is well,

Larro
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    f6e8oua6arvn.jpg

I am loving this vacation. See ya on the flip side.
  • Emmalusmom
    Emmalusmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Caramel I totally understand how you feel. My ex-husband committed suicide while we were in Colorado last month. I am still in disbelief that it is true. My heart aches for my daughter who had to plan everything I helped where I could. And my current husband found his late wife after she had done the same thing. So suicide had touched my life more than I care for. This was part of the reason I was Mia for so long. You and his family will be in my prayers. Big Hugs to you my friend!
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Turned 40 in March, feel free to add me! :)
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Cool Kids!

Beeps- That place looks AMAZING!! :heart_eyes: I would love to be some place warm right now!

I had Jacob this morning. He was fun as always. I won't see him again until next week because my daughter is headed to Buffalo for Thanksgiving with other family. It always seems like such a long time.

I will check in tomorrow, but then I am off to my parents for Thanksgiving. Also hoping to get to the gym tomorrow so I will let you all know!
  • sdereski
    Options
    Emmalusmom wrote: »
    Caramel I totally understand how you feel. My ex-husband committed suicide while we were in Colorado last month. I am still in disbelief that it is true. My heart aches for my daughter who had to plan everything I helped where I could. And my current husband found his late wife after she had done the same thing. So suicide had touched my life more than I care for. This was part of the reason I was Mia for so long. You and his family will be in my prayers. Big Hugs to you my friend!

My condolences to you as well. So devastating for all.