Good news for people who like eating fat!

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    FatFreeFrolicking do you understand if one becomes type 2 diabetic say due to one's diet or other cause and they reverse that diet or change it so they will never need any meds some do refer that to curing their diabetes.

Are you saying it is like being an alcoholic. Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. If those who never again consume alcohol are at least functioning as non alcoholics. If one is able to eat in a way to require no diabetes meds are they not functionally non diabetic?

To me you are skating on thin ice with the new info out there today. If doctors are using the term non-diabetic to former diabetics your position that they are all wrong gets harder to defend in my view.

Should you accidentally without any intent cause the death of a person does that mean you are labelled a KILLER for all of your life. I say let a diabetic who has been told they are non diabetic by their doctor live in peace. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Nvm.

Hey, you can't talk to those guys like that.

I mean........do you even lift?

:smiling_imp:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    FatFreeFrolicking do you understand if one becomes type 2 diabetic say due to one's diet or other cause and they reverse that diet or change it so they will never need any meds some do refer that to curing their diabetes.

Are you saying it is like being an alcoholic. Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. If those who never again consume alcohol are at least functioning as non alcoholics. If one is able to eat in a way to require no diabetes meds are they not functionally non diabetic?

To me you are skating on thin ice with the new info out there today. If doctors are using the term non-diabetic to former diabetics your position that they are all wrong gets harder to defend in my view.

Should you accidentally without any intent cause the death of a person does that mean you are labelled a KILLER for all of your life. I say let a diabetic who has been told they are non diabetic by their doctor live in peace. :)

Given your post history here, anything you say holds little value to me.

In AA and 12-step programs, alcoholics are in fact taught that once they are an alcoholic, they are an alcoholic for life- only difference is they are in recovery. They can go back to abusing alcohol just like a diabetic who is in remission can begin experiencing high blood glucose.

I don't know what kind of doctors you see, but any reputable doctor would never refer to a diabetic patient as "cured" or "non-diabetic" unless they are referring to their A1c and fasting glucose levels as being in non-diabetic range. Diabetes cannot be cured- plain and simple.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

In AA and 12-step programs, alcoholics are in fact taught that once they are an alcoholic, they are an alcoholic for life- only difference is they are in recovery. They can go back to abusing alcohol just like a diabetic who is in remission can begin experiencing high blood glucose.

I don't know what kind of doctors you see, but any reputable doctor would never refer to a diabetic patient as "cured" or "non-diabetic" unless they are referring to their A1c and fasting glucose levels as being in non-diabetic range. Diabetes cannot be cured- plain and simple.

I have been told that about the 12 step. Your willingness to be abusive with excited posters who has been told they are diabetes free was what I was addressing but that is more of a 'heart' issue than a dieting issue I guess. :)

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    What is considered LCHF? When I was logging here, I was always over on fat and under on carbs, but I've never really considered my eating habits high or low anything.

Depends on how strict you're being. In essence, it's "as few carbs as you can get away with" and then sub fats in for them.

I'm following the 'keto' diet, so I try to keep below 15g per day, but generally end up around 30. Fiber "doesn't count."

I would also ask, is the point to enter ketosis at ALL? Because that affects the answer - if you're just cutting them because of BECAUSE, then maybe under 100 or so?

Alas, I'm a bit of an extremist, might be worth googling.

Holy crap! 15g of carbs per day?!? :o No, that is not for me. I can't imagine how I could eat vegetables and keep carbs that low.

Yeahbut - "fiber doesn't count."

I'm a HUGE fan of kale, kelp, spinach, zucchini, peapods, cukes, artichokes - basically anything that grows aboveground, and in moderation :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited November 2014
    Options

I have been told that about the 12 step. Your willingness to be abusive with excited posters who has been told they are diabetes free was what I was addressing but that is more of a 'heart' issue than a dieting issue I guess. :)

At least the information I post here is actually accurate, unlike the BS you come up with. I was unaware that telling someone the truth about diabetes is considered "abusive" and "heartless."
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options

At least the information I post here is actually accurate, unlike the BS you come up with. I was unaware that telling someone the truth about diabetes is considered "abusive" and "heartless."

I like your "Spunk"
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

It may not be in some parts. It would not be so bad if you were backed up by common medical advice of today. There is a new thread where a guy is saying he has been cured of diabetes and if I run across it I will send you the link so you can preach to him and get him back on the narrow and straight path. :)

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    LolBro I am still watching for you to support your wild claims with Science and the use of of some logic instead of photos of your body.

You'll start to notice a trend here I hope....

As I already mentioned, with the few exceptions to the rule (overfat/obese, new to training or haven't exhausted newbie gains, or retraining you will not be adding any additional LBM. If you even did, it would not be appreciable amount, nor will it be sustainable in the long-term while in a caloric deficit).

Also keep in mind, that the necessary training variables must be present as well. Meaning, you would need to have a progressive overload component to your resistance training program, and consistently be training at an intensity that is close enough to your 1rm.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    volfan22 wrote: »
    Could you please provide some pictures and data regarding your transformation? I would like to see how much quality lbm you have added while in a caloric deficit at age 63.

I'm not 63 - so I assume you were talking to Gale! :) But - this is what I am seeing - Far left was take June 7th. Top right was August and the bottom right was September.

q4udzu0qj41b.jpg

and THAT is how you debate. Volfan22 rules.

Looks great. However, my debate was with Gale not Volfan. A reduction in fat mass does not indicate an increase in LBM either.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    gale - do you even understand basic math and physics? I am curious how you think that you can build muscle when one is an energy deficit?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    LolBro I am still watching for you to support your wild claims with Science and the use of of some logic instead of photos of your body.

As I already mentioned, with the few exceptions to the rule (overfat/obese, new to training or haven't exhausted newbie gains, or retraining you will not be adding any additional LBM. If you even did, it would not be appreciable amount, nor will it be sustainable in the long-term while in a caloric deficit).

Also keep in mind, that the necessary training variables must be present as well. Meaning, you would need to have a progressive overload component to your resistance training program, and consistently be training at an intensity that is close enough to your 1rm.

I can not get your links to open when I click on them like the ones I post for some reason.

• LolBroScience
    Options

I can not get your links to open when I click on them like the ones I post for some reason.

I did not hyperlink them. Copy and paste them. How long have you been using a computer?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

do you even internet?
  • GaleHawkins
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OK. In the mean time I hope everyone gets some good what ever you eat tomorrow if not turkey.

• daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gale - do you even understand basic math and physics? I am curious how you think that you can build muscle when one is an energy deficit?
    Still waiting to hear the explanation on this...

I did not hyperlink them. Copy and paste them. How long have you been using a computer?
    Do you understand you in the process of making everyone preaching a calorie is a calorie look Defunct In The Abstract?
    Do you even sentence?

A calorie is a calorie just as a gallon is a gallon. The dead horse you're attempting to beat is: a macro is not a macro.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Oh and your photos are fantastic. Way to go.

Thank you Chris

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Volfan22
    I have seen so many peoples lives improve by removing wheat, starches and sugar. Not just in losing fat weight - but in how they feel and look (skin clears up) - they don't have to carry tums everywhere because heartburn is GONE, diabetics are stable and their numbers are better than they have ever been. I even have my dad starting it because he was diagnosed with melanoma in 2 spots and I have read about the benefits of ketones and cancer. No results for him yet - but I have faith for sure!

I have been one of those constant heart burn kind of people. I have noticed in the couple of days I have been going lower and low carb my indigestion is gone. Just that is enough to give me incentive to stay on the low carb. I was on Atkins about 40 years ago for about 10 years. I did well and not really sure why I drifted off. Well I am back. need to loose weight so badly.

Chris

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

It may not be in some parts. It would not be so bad if you were backed up by common medical advice of today. There is a new thread where a guy is saying he has been cured of diabetes and if I run across it I will send you the link so you can preach to him and get him back on the narrow and straight path. :)

LOL. Everything I've said IS backed up by peer-reviewed journals and various scientific databases.

None of what you have said here, or in other threads, is backed up by peer-reviewed journals or scientific databases.

I think you have me confused for yourself.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Thank you - that's great information! I'll hold off for now - I'm still about 30-35% bg - I have about 35 more lbs to lose before I make any changes. I do know this - I will not go back to eating sugar/wheat. Stevia and Almond flour are my new best friends! :)

Volfan 22. You are using Stevia. You do not think that is a problem to raise insulin resistance? Please say NO. I am so missing my sweet.

Oh and your photos are fantastic. Way to go.

Thank you Chris

empoweredsustenance.com/is-stevia-bad-for-you/

Chris your post raised some questions and I read the above link. The comments indicated to me there is LITTLE agreement about Stevia today. :) I got some whey protein with stevia in it at WM a couple weeks ago and it was too sweet to me but I am kind of an all or nothing type. When I decided to stop all added sugar that meant real and no calorie sweeteners as well in my case. Now even the little sugar in almonds make them taste sweet. I did not ditch carbs to lose weight but to manage my arthritic pain avoiding a cancer risk from Enbrel. Going low carb is about staying alive not my looks that is already shot to heck. :)

Jonathan Bailor states in his The Calorie Myth that he thinks Stevia is OK from his research that I just read.

Again thank your post.