Scared because dieting and gaining weight. Is it a tumour?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm going to add ONE more variable to the discussion: peri-menopause. 38-40ish is not too early for that to be a consideration. If you're having any night sweats, even just before your period. If you bloat more than you used to. If you're noticing any insomnia... you could be entering the wonderful world of perimenopause. If that's the case: listen to everything grammy says above. Hell, it's all good advice regardless. But even more so as you wander toward middle age.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    bumblebee wrote: »
    Please could you have a look at my past couple of weeks food and exercise diary. I started on 139lbs and have gone up to 146lbs. I'm sure I'm eating the right amount and I'm running regularly. I know that fluid retention, muscle gain etc make a difference on the scales, but I have never, ever weighed 146lbs before and I'm a daily weigher! I'm actually scared that it may be a tumour that is causing the extra weight. I have ruled out pregnancy. Can you help? Xx
    A tumor? Please tell me you're joking. If you think this is true, you need to get to the doctor.

Setting all medical conditions aside, if you are gaining weight you are eating enough to support that.

Do you weigh all your food and log everything you eat? Are you choosing correct entries from the database?

Are you eating your exercise calories back? How do you calculate those burns? MFP and gym machines way overestimate.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Okay TLDR responses. I did however look at your diary and the first 3 days I checked, you were over. You're eating too much, therefore you're gaining weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm going to add ONE more variable to the discussion: peri-menopause. 38-40ish is not too early for that to be a consideration. If you're having any night sweats, even just before your period. If you bloat more than you used to. If you're noticing any insomnia... you could be entering the wonderful world of perimenopause. If that's the case: listen to everything grammy says above. Hell, it's all good advice regardless. But even more so as you wander toward middle age.
    Night sweats - check.
    Extra bloating - OMG, check
    Insomnia - check, but it's on and off
    No period for ten weeks, then three periods in a month - check (added that one, lol)

Thanks for the checklist and making me feel old, lol. ;)

I may call about the weird periods. But I may not, lol.

OP, you should go in, too. It is unlikely that you have a new tumor that grew and increased it's blood supply fast enough to gain seven pounds in a week or two, but if something is up, the doctor is the best person to ask.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? If not, you are overeating which is why you are gaining weight.

ETA: Are you still menstruating? If yes, do you have normal periods? Are you experiencing pain in your pelvic region?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    On a serious note - most doctors will tell you if you drastic weight loss - five pounds or more - over X time period that you should immediately come see them as this can be a sign of cancer…typically weight gain is not associated with cancer…

My oncologist was more concerned with weight loss, even when I told him that I was dieting and trying to lose weight...

this is coming from a lymphoma survivor….

Weight gain is associated with ovarian cysts (benign or malignant).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    On a serious note - most doctors will tell you if you drastic weight loss - five pounds or more - over X time period that you should immediately come see them as this can be a sign of cancer…typically weight gain is not associated with cancer…

My oncologist was more concerned with weight loss, even when I told him that I was dieting and trying to lose weight...

Great. I have ovarian cysts. Now I guess I have something I can point to and say it isn't my fault I'm a few pounds overweight. It's not all the ice cream and cake and doughnuts I ate. It's not all the cheesy pasta and stirfries with steak. It's not the creamy sauces and condiments, the breads dipped in olive oil and spices, the nut butters. It's cysts!

Funny thing is I wasn't even looking for an excuse. *sigh*
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options

OP stated in 2/2011 that she is usually between 133? 137? and 143 lbs. She listed 143 as her weight in other posts. I don't think OP needs to start worrying about anything like cancer or cysts over a three pound gain until she gives ensuring a calorie deficit (however she chooses to) a try. (Unless of course she has other symptoms.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Night sweats - check.
    Extra bloating - OMG, check
    Insomnia - check, but it's on and off
    No period for ten weeks, then three periods in a month - check (added that one, lol)

Thanks for the checklist and making me feel old, lol. ;)

I may call about the weird periods. But I may not, lol.

OP, you should go in, too. It is unlikely that you have a new tumor that grew and increased it's blood supply fast enough to gain seven pounds in a week or two, but if something is up, the doctor is the best person to ask.

Welcome to my world. :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options

And what's the incidence of malignant ovarian cysts in a 40 year old? Not high enough to be something worth posting to a scared stranger on the internet who's gained a couple of pounds.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Great. I have ovarian cysts. Now I guess I have something I can point to and say it isn't my fault I'm a few pounds overweight. It's not all the ice cream and cake and doughnuts I ate. It's not all the cheesy pasta and stirfries with steak. It's not the creamy sauces and condiments, the breads dipped in olive oil and spices, the nut butters. It's cysts!

Funny thing is I wasn't even looking for an excuse. *sigh*

Me too. And fibroids! Perhaps fatfreefrolicking is on to something. I think I have a 7LB fibroid. yeah, 7Lbs...that's it.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Y'all really need to stop talking about menopause. You're stressing me out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Y'all really need to stop talking about menopause. You're stressing me out.

I know right!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

And what's the incidence of malignant ovarian cysts in a 40 year old? Not high enough to be something worth posting to a scared stranger on the internet who's gained a couple of pounds.

I was simply stating that some forms of cancer can cause weight gain. So there's no need to jump down my throat.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Maitria wrote: »

OP stated in 2/2011 that she is usually between 133? 137? and 143 lbs. She listed 143 as her weight in other posts. I don't think OP needs to start worrying about anything like cancer or cysts over a three pound gain until she gives ensuring a calorie deficit (however she chooses to) a try. (Unless of course she has other symptoms.)

I was speaking to ndj. Not the OP.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    See if the tumor comes out on it's own in 6-9 months. If it's pooping, peeing and crying a lot you can probably find out what kind of cancer it is easily.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The OP has only been logging 2 weeks (at least this time). As another noted, the first 3 days was over goal. I also saw at least 3 chinese meals---alot of sodium. So, this is the problem. You insist that you're logging correctly, and alot of people are disagreeing. Now, you can eat and log however you want, but if you're not losing--gaining instead, this is probably the cause. Also, you are not logging water intake. This is important for weight loss, and to flush out the sodium. Since you don't have much to lose, it's going to go slowly and you don't need much to sabotage loss. Nobody on here wants you to have a tumor, and would like you to be successful with your goal. That's the only reason I've pointed out these things. Wishing you good luck. :)
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

Agreed. Also it's not likely to cause a sudden weight gain.

OP, as others have said, cancer is associated with weight loss because the cancer cells are fast growing and use lots of energy. If you are concerned you certainly need to see your doc about it.

At your height, you are already a good weight, and you look great! You may find it difficult to get down much lower without very careful weighing and logging to ensure that you stay at a deficit. I'm at your height and weight, and I speak from experience. :)
  • Karen_LM
    Karen_LM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You are eating processed food ready meals that are NOT designed to be a complete diet. They are only 'healthy' in comparison to standard ready meals, not in comparison to a well planned diet. Just as with ready meals not advertised as particularly healthy, they are very high in sodium and various carbohydrate starches and stabilisers, and a surprising amount of sugar in some cases. Despite the fact that they are advertised as having fresh veg in them, there isnt nearly the amount of veg you should be having.

Weight fluctuates all day long and all week long and all month long. For all you know, you weighted yourself at a low point. Weigh once a week, and figure out which is your high week of the month (ignore it) and which is your low week. I choose to use this as my official weight even though I know the other two weeks I will weigh somewhere in between. i only stress about gain, or cheer a loss that happens in the usual low TOM for me. Daily weigh in just lead to stress and depression.

This weight gain is either normal variation over the month or that plus water retention caused by the high sodium meals and packaged foods. Eat fresh food, use ready meals like these once in a while if you are pressed for time. Marks and Spencer and whoever makes the other have not created a magic easy to purchase off their shelf balanced weight loss diet.

Tumours don't appear and suddenly grow to 6 lbs in a week. The huge tumours get huge because they have been growing very slowly for a long time, either with no symptoms or the patient having ignored or credited the symptoms to other explanations. You don't have a tumour. You have a really poor diet plan / uninformed idea of nutrition and quite possibly unrealistic expectations.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Wenchiness wrote: »
    See if the tumor comes out on it's own in 6-9 months. If it's pooping, peeing and crying a lot you can probably find out what kind of cancer it is easily.

That's not a cancer, that's an STD.