Fed Up Documentary

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    sm1zzle wrote: »

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.[/b]

there is no doubt
    it is in fact

no doubt
    in fact

no doubt
    in fact

I mean...do you even word?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

You don't think our society has a sugar addiction ?

no I don't…

society has an overeating/laziness problem…sugar has nothing to do with it.

I would argue that many people over eat in part because of the addiction to sugar.

When people sit and pound 8-12 sodas in a day they are doing it because they are craving that soda....they are craving that sugar.

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.
    Unfortunately we aren't even in the top 10 in countries that consume the most sugar.
    So logically the top 10 countries that are "addicted" to sugar by consumption should also have higher obesity and health issues worse than the US. And guess what? They don't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm talking refined sugars.

Post me the article that shows 10 countries that consume more refined sugars than the US.

Not saying that it's impossible but I would think it's unlikely.
    We are talking refined sugar here.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-sugar-consumer-countries.html

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's not what I found...

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

And where does Brazil fall in the global obesity rankings?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I really don't like all the snark that's why I stay away from the forums. Stay positive and follow your own intuition and data about what makes you feel good. I started out on here 3 years ago eating a standard american diet. Now I'm a vegan and eat no processed foods or refined sugars and I feel so much better and my overall fitness has improved as well.

i would be curious what "data" you have that our society is somehow built around a sugar addiction, and what data you have about mentioned "sugar addiction"….

no I don't…

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.
    Unfortunately we aren't even in the top 10 in countries that consume the most sugar.
    So logically the top 10 countries that are "addicted" to sugar by consumption should also have higher obesity and health issues worse than the US. And guess what? They don't.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Post me the article that shows 10 countries that consume more refined sugars than the US.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-sugar-consumer-countries.html

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

Here's another good one. That incline in sugar consumption would probably parallel the increase in obesity world wide as well
    sugar_world_consumption_statistics_graph.gif

Increase in calories without an increase in activity causes weight gain and obesity? That's so weird...but not really
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    It is my opinion that I am a billionaire.

So...what now...do I clap, or click my heels, or what?

that can be factually disproven.

Stop being a *kitten*.

But so can "sugar is addictive." So....YOU stop being a j*******! :smiley:

My point is simply that refined sugar can be addictive. Some people resist the urge to pound their body with it and others do not. Those that do not are typically over weight and/or unhealthy.

Would you disagree ?

Yes, I would, in fact, disagree.

I am not "resisting the urge to pound my body" with that Hershey's bar which has been sitting out at work for the past 2 days, free for the taking. I don't care for Hershey bars. If it were Vosges, or even Lindor, I might be tempted.

...but you do resist the urge to pound 3 hershey bars every day of the week right ?

You misunderstand. There is no "urge" to resist. As I stated, I don't care for Hershey's. I find it repulsive.

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Stop being a *kitten*.

My point is simply that refined sugar can be addictive. Some people resist the urge to pound their body with it and others do not. Those that do not are typically over weight and/or unhealthy.

Would you disagree ?

And what do these things have in common with eating sugar? They are psychological "addictions", which, at the most is what a "real sugar addiction" would be...which means it's not actually sugar that is addictive, but the person's behaviour and habits towards it.

I agree with you on this.

The caveat to being addicted to eating large amounts of refined sugar everyday is you will probably become over weight.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I would say that at the end of the day it is still the person's fault because they are not strong enough to resist the addiction, but there is no doubt that it is in fact an addiction to sugar.[/b]

there is no doubt
    it is in fact

no doubt
    in fact

no doubt
    in fact

I mean...do you even word?

I just pointed this out to him, yet he claims he never called it "fact." I guess fact really means opinion and the two words are now interchangeable, because English.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

Would you disagree ?

And what do these things have in common with eating sugar? They are psychological "addictions", which, at the most is what a "real sugar addiction" would be...which means it's not actually sugar that is addictive, but the person's behaviour and habits towards it.

The caveat to being addicted to eating large amounts of refined sugar everyday is you will probably become over weight.

Unless you're on the Twinkie Diet. Then you lose 30 lbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

Here's another good one. That incline in sugar consumption would probably parallel the increase in obesity world wide as well
    sugar_world_consumption_statistics_graph.gif

I would link an article that discussed that other food groups have actually increased more than sugar - but you would not read it or want to see it by your own admission.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg
    I'm sure that there are even other statistics that will slightly differ. But let's beg the question again:

Does Thailand have the obesity issue the US has? Or Australia? Or Brazil? These 3 alone consume more than the US, yet don't have the same weight or health issues.
    Point is consumption of sugar isn't the main reason people are getting fat in the US. It's because they are consuming more calories than they can burn. Can someone overeat too much sugar? Sure if it's the staple of their diet. But people in the US don't read labels or IMO really DON'T CARE how much they are consuming calorie wise.

Let's not blame it all on sugar. Other countries don't.
    When visitors from other countries come to the US to check us out, they all usually have the same opinion.............."Your food portions in the US are HUGE."

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm not going to read any sort of internet article.

You are so confident in your own personal beliefs so it is your job to convince me.

People are over weight because they choose to not eat healthy and not to exercise, but I also personally believe that sugar is addicting.

I am not understanding why you and the other couple of posters are getting so butt hurt about my opinion ?

That is the quote.
    You can clearly see where I said "I personally believe"

We can see where you backtracked in order to call your claim an "opinion" when you saw that science was not on your side, after you previously stated your belief as a fact.

It's always been an opinion/belief.

Where did I say anything other wise ?

The point of addiction was always opinion...what it does to your body is what I pointed out as fact.

Like that it will lead to our deaths?

• sm1zzle
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

Would you disagree ?

I am not "resisting the urge to pound my body" with that Hershey's bar which has been sitting out at work for the past 2 days, free for the taking. I don't care for Hershey bars. If it were Vosges, or even Lindor, I might be tempted.

...but you do resist the urge to pound 3 hershey bars every day of the week right ?

You misunderstand. There is no "urge" to resist. As I stated, I don't care for Hershey's. I find it repulsive.
    They're actually quite good.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg

And where does Brazil fall in the global obesity rankings?
    I haven't seen an obese Thai yet.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Bigger and fatter, and more out of shape, on a "vegetarian" "exercise" several hours a day plan...

o:)

You exercised several hours a day and STILL gained weight? That's odd. Are you sure you weren't just eating all your calories back and then some? Or perhaps maybe overestimating exercise and underestimating food? That's a pretty common problem.

Calories In, Calories Out seems to work just fine for me. I've been maintaining at goal weight for years now, just keeping it simple. Good luck with your challenge, OP! I hope it goes well for you. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

Would you disagree ?

Eating large amounts of fat everyday will also lead you to probably become over weight.

Eating too much anything will make you gain weight.
  • sm1zzle
    Options

no I don't…

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

GLB_SGRCN0409.jpg
    I'm sure that there are even other statistics that will slightly differ. But let's beg the question again:

Does Thailand have the obesity issue the US has? Or Australia? Or Brazil? These 3 alone consume more than the US, yet don't have the same weight or health issues.
    Point is consumption of sugar isn't the main reason people are getting fat in the US. It's because they are consuming more calories than they can burn. Can someone overeat too much sugar? Sure if it's the staple of their diet. But people in the US don't read labels or IMO really DON'T CARE how much they are consuming calorie wise.

Let's not blame it all on sugar. Other countries don't.
    When visitors from other countries come to the US to check us out, they all usually have the same opinion.............."Your food portions in the US are HUGE."

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No, none of those other countries you mention have any where near the obesity problem that we have here in the US. Maybe because we subsidize sugar... but that's another debate.

I am not blaming it on sugar. The blame always falls back on the individual. They control what they choose to eat...these food companies are not knocking down doors and forcing their products down our throats.

• sm1zzle
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Stop being a *kitten*.

Would you disagree ?

Eating large amounts of fat everyday will also lead you to probably become over weight.

Eating too much anything will make you gain weight.

I'm not disagreeing with that.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

Stop being a *kitten*.

Would you disagree ?

They're actually quite good.

Nope. Hershey's is inferior chocolate. I don't care how much sugar they put in it. Try some real chocolate.