An obese nutritionist: would you be her patient?

Replies

• Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Physician, heal thyself!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I would actually trust their advice more than a nutritionist who has never experienced being overweight. First hand experience with the issue means less preaching and more first hand grasp on the challenges of weight loss, regardless if they chose to tackle them themselves or not. At least I won't get the usual canned responses and speeches about willpower.

If I ever go to a nutritionist (I doubt I ever will), I would be going for knowledge, experience, and proven results with other clients. Looking for role models would be at the very bottom of my list.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Dietitians work with much more than just people who need to lose weight.

They also advise anorexics, burn patients, cancer patients, etc. They cannot possibly be eating all the different diets that exist at the same time.

It's just ridiculous to say that they must practice what they preach.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    I'll think on it the day I actually get an obese nutritionist.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Regardless of what the issue is for *many* people, that doesn't mean that you can take a look at someone and know their story.

I don't want to know their story.

I'm shopping for a service, and want to make the best quick decision I can. That means, all else being equal, picking the person who most looks like the job.

would you take driving lessons from an old Chinese lady?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Regardless of what the issue is for *many* people, that doesn't mean that you can take a look at someone and know their story.

I'm shopping for a service, and want to make the best quick decision I can. That means, all else being equal, picking the person who most looks like the job.

Probably not.
  • JeffseekingV

Probably not.

But you'd take nutritional information from a thin person. Even though being thin in no way qualifies them as being a nutritionist.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014

Probably not.

But you'd take nutritional information from a thin person. Even though being thin in no way qualifies them as being a nutritionist.

Is it your job to continually fail at reading comprehension?

At no point did I ever say anything resembling "I would take nutritional advice from a thin person because they're thin."
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    lol
  • JeffseekingV

Probably not.

At no point did I ever say anything resembling "I would take nutritional advice from a thin person because they're thin."

Yes you did.

You just said you wouldn't take nutritional advice from an obese person. Then you stated that you would pick the person that most LOOKS like the job.

What's left?

I see the SF1978_1x02_Deflectorshield.gif

coming on again.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014

Probably not.

Yes you did.

You just said you wouldn't take nutritional advice from an obese person. Then you stated that you would pick the person that most LOOKS like the job.

Good grief. Nowhere in what you just quoted did I make a blanket statement about not taking advice from an obese person.

Let me say it again, more slowly this time...

If I'm given the choice between two nutritionists, neither of which I know much about, I will pick the one who looks healthy over the one who looks like they're a heart attack waiting to happen.

I have to ask...are you really having this much trouble understanding, or am I being trolled?
  • JeffseekingV

Probably not.

Yes you did.

Good grief. Let me say it again, more slowly this time...

If I'm given the choice between two nutritionists, neither of which I know much about, I will pick the one who looks healthy over the one who looks like they're a heart attack waiting to happen.

Way to deflect. If one is obese and one is thin, which one are you picking? The thin one. Even though her being thin really has nothing to do with her qualifications.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014

Probably not.

Yes you did.

Good grief. Let me say it again, more slowly this time...

Way to deflect. If one is obese and one is thin, which one are you picking? The thin one. Even though her being thin really has nothing to do with her qualifications.

Yes, it does, and I've already explained why.

If your criteria don't include that - it's fine with me. Pick however you like, makes no difference to me.

• JeffseekingV
    No it doesn't. Being thin does not make the person necessarily healthy, knowledgeable about nutrition or in particularly good shape.
  • Mr_Knight
    No it doesn't. Being thin does not make the person necessarily healthy, knowledgeable about nutrition or in particularly good shape.

Nowhere did I claim that it did.

Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg
  • JeffseekingV

Yes you did. "look the part". Captain! Engage deflectors on full power!

How do you "look the part"? Resemble a vegetable?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    rbfdac wrote: »
    rbfdac wrote: »
    Yep. It's much easier to preach than to practice. Doesn't mean she/he doesn't know what they're talking about.

No, but looking as though you take your own advice lends a bit of credibility. Would you go to a dentist who tells you how important oral hygiene is, that you have to brush and floss when they themselves have no teeth?

Having good oral hygiene can hardly be compared to being overweight. It's quite simple to maintain good oral hygiene- brush your teeth and floss every now and visit your dentist twice a year and then and you're good (genetics also contribute to oral health). So, if my dentist can't seem to brush his teeth a couple times a day or floss every now and then, I might question his credibility.

However, as we all know, maintaining a healthy weight and fitness level is a smidge more of a challenge. It's not as simple as "oh, just eat this many calories and exercise and you'll be healthy, ta da!". Emotions are involved in maintaining a healthy lifestyle and aid in the process of packing on pounds, as well as medical conditions, etc. Oral hygiene, not so much- you basically just brush your teeth. (I do understand some people are afraid of the dentist, etc., but that's not what I mean). If it were as simple to maintain a healthy weight/fitness level, this website would not exist.

I am an intelligent person with a decent amount of knowledge about health and fitness and weight loss, but I, myself, am 100 pounds overweight. Doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I understand that someone might question my credibility and that's their prerogative, but the OP's question was "would YOU" be her patient. And yes, I would, because I am aware that there are other factors involved.

You're over thinking this process. Because yes- it is that simple.
    The steps are very simple.

eat less
    move more.
    It's quiet simple, outside of extreme medical conditions, to not be so excessively over weight.

the whole reason this website exists is people over complicate it and make it about their emotions. Once they realize they aren't eating their emotions- or they get over their bad guilt/whatever hang ups over food- the pieces fall in to place. But again- maintaining a reasonable weight range and getting an hour or so of activity weekly is completely manageable and reasonable.
  • Mr_Knight

I give up.

Cheers.

• JeffseekingV

I give up.

Cheers.

Yes you need to give up, because as you said, you are making the decision purely on aesthetics and you want someone that "looks" the part.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member

Probably not.

Eso-Es-Racista-Reaction-Gif.gif