40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

Caramel, you need to post a picture of yourself with your new swoosh attire.

Mzklutch, I have to set aside one day to do all my household chores, or they would never get done. {I am a terrible creature of habit} Good luck with your move. We still have stuff we haven't unpacked, and we have been in this house for 12 years.

KS, great news with the Doctor's visit. You are doing so well in such adverse conditions. Giving to those who are in need makes both parties feel good.

Nick, happy to see you happy with your numbers. Last year when I was still losing, I had a couple of weeks around the Holidays were I stalled out. But even if you do that, it won't matter in the long run.

Beeps, you just being you is an inspiration to us mere mortals. {lifting 3 days in a row}

Margie's hair dryer woke me early today, something that rarely happens. But I went ahead and got started on my cardio. {After I put a pot of pinto beans on to cook. Got to use up all that Holiday ham} I was about 3/4 of the way though when I realized today was Thursday, so I had to lift. I always save most of the cardio until after I lift, so I was tired before I started. I reverted back to intro reps, but did my whole workout {75 minutes}.

I have tonight off, and Margie is getting off early so we can run up to Marianna. She has an election conference in Orlando starting Sunday, and she wants to get her hair cut before she goes. She will be gone most of next week. It never fails when she is gone like this, I always have to work almost every night, so I can't get the full enjoyment of sitting around the house in my skivvies, eating yogurt right out of the container ;)

I need to run by Mamma's. My cousin moved in with her this week, and I have to check out the TV situation in the 2nd bedroom. My cousin's husband died this year, and she is a little bit developmentally handicapped, and was having trouble living on her on. She loves to cook and clean, so if they don't drive each other up the wall, it will be good for both of them.

It's Thursday, so here are the numbers:

21.8% Body Fat
    57.0% Body Water
    24.4 BMI
    174.8 Pounds

Hope everyone is having a good day,

Larro
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Hey Kid's!
    Josie seems a little better today though now I feel rough. Up and down the stairs last night. Don't feel much like eating today. I had to adjust the font size since my eyes aren't working right. Just thought I'd try checking in. Spent yesterday making play food for Josie while she napped. Turned out pretty cute too. I'll try to post some pictures later. Well gotta run get Josie some juice. Have a good day everyone.
    Did manage to lose another pound. 7 to go.
    Kelly Sue- awesome numbers!
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    first, condolences to those of you who have experienced recent losses.

second, hi all!

i've been doing a good job of tracking my nutrient intake this past while, except for a few days where i was down with a gastro bug (so it wouldn't have been valid anyway) and while i am averaging around my goal intake, i'm not losing anything. is this just a plateau or should i do something to change my eating? i'm over 235 lbs so i doubt going under 1200 calories is a good thing.

my husband took some "during" photos of me today. i haven't seen them yet. hope they turned out ok. i asked my daughter to take photos a week ago and they were horrible!!! i've lost 50 lbs since my "before" pic and you totally couldn't tell.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday cool kids.....Hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

Today marks 530 days on MFP for me. There is someone on my friends list who is at 1050 days. I am so inspired by that. I am at working thinking strongly about my dietary needs and how I can make it more interesting. I am lactose intolerant so anything with milk and/or dairy are an absolute no no for me. With that in mind it limits what I can eat and of course you all know I love animals too much to eat them. My PT took my suggestion about me incorporating heavier weights in my training. I lifted for an hour yesterday and my heart was racing like I was running. I loved it and I am soooooooooo sore this morning.

Larro--I am overdue for an updated photo. I will work on it. Oh my about your mom and cousin. I hope they are a perfect fit for one another.

Beeps--Awesome 3 days in a row. I know you are sore, if not...I really aspire to be like you when I grow up (heavy lifting)

Mzklutch--Each day you exercise is another day you get stronger. I am happy that I could inspire you. In terms of moving, I hope it will be painless.

KellySue--Great job on your numbers. Remember the scale is only a part of the equation. You rock in my book....hands down.

BW--How did you make out with the new treadmill? It sounds pretty high tech.

Kate--Glad to hear the baby is getting better. Unfortunately, we often find ourselves sick when we care for our little ones. Feel better and congrats again on your loss. If you have the stomach bug you will probably lose more weight.

Nick--Anyone who can lose weight during the holidays is AWESOME whether it is bloat or not. Glad you are coming along.

Back to the grind.

Happy Friday kids.
  • Mzklutch
    Mzklutch Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good morning cool kids,
    KellySue, Nick and Myk good job on the improvements.
    Kate hopefully you and the baby feel and stay better. Send warm well wishes your way.
    Larro - I finally got the laundry done after leaving work late yesterday.
    Caramel - I am with ya as I try to keep my meals interesting. I am trying new things each week. I am adding more fish to those changes. Sorry, I am still a meat eater but not as much as when I grew up.
    Day 5 at the gym completed this week. 50 min of cardio on the elliptical and treadmill. Tomorrow will be my third day for weight lifting this week. Looking forward to moving more stuff tomorrow.
    Gotta a busy work week next week.
    Enjoy your day and weekend everyone!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,963 Member
    Options
    I am at 1075 days, caramel....and we are friends here!! So, you will totally be at that number. I know it!

No lifting for me. No exercise at all. But, i did get a great visit in with my parents, yesterday. We won't see them over Xmas, and I think they were pretty happy to share some time with me before all these board meetings.

Have a great weekend everybody! Go lift heavy things!
  • stef123633
    stef123633 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi cool kids! I've been really off the MFP this week, finally reading up on the new threads. I am so impressed my some of the # of days logged in that you all have! I got on the scale this morning after not weighing for over a week - I was too afraid. Well, I was down 2 lbs. Sometimes I think that I "overthink" when logging my food and get obsessed and over eat, I'm not sure how that happens. I am going to concentrate on eating healthy unprocessed foods and stop over thinking every calorie through the rest of the year and see how that goes. I made some wild-caught white fish last night, sautéed in coconut oil with different spices. My husband ate it (I told him to humor me)....it was surprisingly good and super high in protein. Of course my kids wouldn't eat it so I made them something else!

Hope you all have a great Friday!!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Well, when looking at #of days, I hit 691 today- I am planning on getting over the 1000 day mark!

Trying to stay within calories today- I did not make it to the gym. I packed until about 11:00 last night and will be back at it tonight. I am off to Rochester to see hubby tomorrow and will stay with my parents tomorrow night. Sunday I am going to a Christmas party for a while in the afternoon, but will then return to more packing. I am so close to being done! Just a bunch of odds and ends stuff left to go. Now to just get it all moved!!

Have a good day everyone!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all, time is sure slipping away from me. Here I thought I was on top of things, and now it is already a week into December and I realize just how behind I am. My house it upside down at the moment, trying to get it organized, now that the door is out and a new window in. We have more wall space, so moving things around so they "fit" better. Moving china cabinets is a lot of work! I clean everything as I do it - have to empty it anyway, so....
    - The Italilans were lovely, but what an EXPERIENCE!!! OMG! You would not believe the story if I told you. They were supposed to head back on the Greyhound Saturday at 4:00 p.m. Our bus station is NOT a station, but rather a stop. So, to wait for a bus on the weekend or evenings, one is left standing outside in the elements waiting. I would not just drop them off, but decided to wait with them while waiting for the bus. Well, the bus never arrived! And, it was snowing like crazy. So, these poor boys would have been stuck standing there, not really dressed for a Northern Ontario winter waiting for this dang bus to arrive. When a flight is delayed or cancelled, one gets an email but not so for the bus. So, I tried calling Greyhound. Another bust! You cannot get anyone at the other end, other than an automated voice, "Grace". We ended up taking them back home and driving them to their next stop the next day. Once there, we headed right to the bus station only to learn that the highway was closed and the bus from the west never did arrive and they were not sure if was going to arrive for that night. (their next bus was scheduled to leave at 7:10 .m. Sunday night). So, they started looking at other options. renting a car, or flying. No trains out of SSM. Every option we looked at, we came up against a brick wall. I tell ya, these boys were stressed about how they were going to get back to Toronto for Monday morning.
    - It all ended up working out - the bus arrived, a little late, but still arrived. Once they got on that bus, my husband and I l were exhausted! All the running around, phone calling, etc. was done by me, as their english really wasn't the greatest. And just knowing how to navigate through all the red tape of the phone calls and pressing 1, 2, etc. UGH! They made it back to Toronto and to work for Monday morning, and will fly home back to Italy on Saturday. I was glad we were able to help them. The highway was closed for 36 hours - not sure when or how they would have gotten out of dodge if we didn't take them as there is no airport, no place to rent a car, no train. So, if you don't have a ride, or a the bus, you are SOL. They were two Masters students, doing a 2 month placement in Toronto. Kept telling them, they would laugh about this one day, although at the time they were not laughing. They also got to experience the real challenges that face many of us living in the north.
    - Christmas party tonight, so being extra good today. Have not worked out in a week - another big UGH! I promise, I will start tomorrow. I have to - nothing fits me anymore.
    - will also try and do a better job of logging in.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Great pictures btw. And welcome to the newbies.
    Nick, sorry to hear about your dog. As Carmel said, they are family members and their loss is felt.
  • techie203
    Options
    I would like to join this group.

I am 41 and have spent 10 years slowly gaining 60 pounds. At 5'6", my high was 190 and over the last 13 months I have lost 40 pounds. I would like to maintain a toned 125-130 for the long-term which leaves me 25 pounds to go.

What has seemed to work the best for me is making sure I drink enough water and increasing the amount of veggies. Concentrating on increasing the intake of something good worked well for me. I used to hate veggies, but I have found great success with blending and juicing. The spinach and fruit shakes I just couldn't fathom people drinking up until a year ago, have become a staple and I love them. I even crave it!?? Who would have thought??? Not me.

Make it a great day!
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Good evening.

Caramel, in 40 days, I will have logged exactly half as long as you. If I don't take a day off to let the other kids catch up. Seriously, I have been trying to skip a day, but I forget and click on the icon when it's time to log my breakfast every morning. But on the plus side, I know how long ago it was when we went to Lakeland Georgia to see Margie's Uncle Bobby, the infamous bank robber. That is the only day I have missed so far.

Mzklutch, sounds like you are getting in some good workouts. Two days of lifting a week is all I can handle. But then I do an all around workout, and need the time off to rest my little muscles.

Beeps, hope you stayed awake in your meetings today.

Stef, we really like Swai, an East Asian catfish. It is pretty cheap and really good. I don't seem to have time to cook it as often as I would like.

KS, enjoy your time with hubby and parents this weekend.

Sdereski, those kids will tell their kids and grandkids stories about fighting their way though the blizzard in the Great White North.

Techie, welcome. It sounds like you have a good plan. Eating healthy makes you feel so much better, even if you don't need to lose weight.

Sorry so late today. Margie took the day off to rest up for her Orlando trip, so I was up early to do my cardio and eat breakfast. Then I was over at Mamma's putting a battery in her truck, and making sure her cordless phones were on the charger the right way {she is 86, but who can't put a phone on the charger?}, when Margie tracked me down. My boss had called and I had to come into work early. Our local hospital is having their Christmas party tonight, and the turnout was going to be bigger than planned. That meant a hurried shower and shave, and getting here as quick as possible to set out more tables and chairs. But I got a few extra hours, plus the fee for the set-up/clean-up went up by 50%. From here on I will have lots of Holiday parties. It's about my busiest time of the year. I do lots of weddings in the spring and fall, but that is just one a weekend. We will have Christmas parties all during the week too.

I've got in 36 minutes walking at 4 1/2 mph this afternoon. Might get more if I can't find anything worth watching on TV.

Hope everyone has a good weekend,

Larro
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Hey Kid's!
    Well I think I'm on the mend now. Lost 3 pounds with that stomach bug. Hopefully it won't come back tomorrow. LOL.
    Techie- Good luck with the juicing. I tried some recently only tasted a lot of celery in that one. Though I steer clear from cauliflower do to the fact broccoli gives me severe heartburn. Sad I used to eat a ton of broccoli when I was pregnant with my son ( over 16 yrs. ago ). Heartburn started shortly after he was born. With my 2nd peanuts/peanut butter started bothering my stomach. :(
    Stef- Great loss. After my diagnosis in 2009 I managed to lose 67 lbs. in 9 months by just trying to eat healthier, and walking. Though that's when I got pregnant with my youngest. LOL
    Kelly Sue- Happy 691th! Have a great visit with your husband.
    Welcome Newbies!
    Well better get this child to bed. Have to take our son to a chess tournament tomorrow.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Good Afternoon.

I was a couple hours after midnight getting out of here this morning, and I was back by 1000. Not too much sleep. But I feel fine right now. Later on this afternoon I'm sure I will hit the wall pretty hard. No cardio this morning {other than squats}, but I did carry 136 chairs around, setting 72 of them up for tomorrow's party, and putting the rest of them in the storage room. 4 chairs weigh 45 pounds. The closest I can find to count the calories is walking uphill with 12 pounds. I was hoping to finish up before FSU basketball came on, but I was just a hair shy of that. So I'm running down to work a few minutes during commercials. The team has had terrible injury luck for so early in the season, and there isn't any margin of error if they are going to make the Big Dance. I should be able to count these games as cardio. They sure get my heart racing.

Hope everyone has a good day,

Larro
  • larrodarro
    Options
    I saw this on my news feed. Pretty cute.

He sees you when you're snacking!
    He knows when you eat cake!
    He knows when you've been bad or good...
    So be good for goodness sake!
    So you better workout!
    You better not cry!
    You better exercise I'm telling you why!!
    Scale ah Claus is coming to town!!!
    Scale ah Claus is coming to town!!
    Scale ah Claus is coming to town!!!
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    that's priceless larrodarro!

hello cool kids! i hope you're having a good weekend. mine has been full of holiday shopping. right now i'm skipping a work dinner of my husband's because i just know i would gorge myself. so instead, i'm sipping a latte and checking in here.

tomorrow i have some appointments regarding bariatric surgery. i hope they go well.
  • Emmalusmom
    Emmalusmom Posts: 61 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hello All You Cool Kids,

I had a pretty good weekend. I got my granddaughter this weekend and we decorated the tree, made sugar cookies and went to church on Sunday. She she that this was the coolest church ever. It made me smile!

I have started back with logging today. I feel the need to assist myself on keeping track.

My local YMCA has a class Women on Weights, it is 10 sessions to introduce you to all the machines at the Y and how to do them correclty. I am hoping to take this the first of the year. I want to lift heavy stuff too!

I gotta get back to work now. I am trying to to stay away so long...

Have an awesome day everyone!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning all! I had a busy weekend as usual. Spent a few hours with hubby which was nice. I am hoping that the hospital therapy staff start being more aggressive with therapy this week. I then went and stayed with my parents on Saturday which was relaxing- no running around this Saturday- my mom loves to go and do stuff, but it was a foggy rainy day so we stayed in- at last! Sunday we had our church Christmas party- way too much food!! I did some packing last night and will be packing whenever I can this week. I am taking the week off from the gym to get things finished up at the house- Since the move is this weekend, I really need to push to get everything done. I will try to watch the food intake and will still be doing a lot of moving around- just not structured exercise.

Hope everyone has a good day!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Hey kids, hope all of you are well and hanging in there.

Today was my big day for permanent eyebrows and I am very pleased with them. Now I no longer look like an alien. The only thing I did not like was hearing my skin break as it was being done. My ears are super sensitive needless to say. My last 2-3 sessions at that gym with my PT were very challenging and on Saturday she pushed me so hard, I could hardly catch my breath. I am sure you all have figured out by now, I am not normal. The more insane it is, the more I tend to enjoy it (lol). Extreme fit tonight should be a challenge and blast all at the same time.

Kate--Great job with the constant losses. I am inspired.

Beeps---Missing you. Are you lifting heavier. Also congrats on your over 1000 days. I am only at the half point and have something to look forward to.

Sdreski- All I can say is wow about your Italian students. Thank goodness you did not leave them behind.

Larro--The song is too funny and I love it.

Mykaylus--did you find any good deals? I hope all goes well about the dr. appointments.

KellySue--As far as I am concerned moving boxes and packing and lifting is indeed lifting heavy. IF you have a HRM, I would strap it on and keep track.

Mzklutch--How did you do this morning? Can't wait to hear/read.

CG---Where are you hiding? We are missing you

Emmalou--Welcome back. Glad you had a great time with the GD. The more you log the easier it gets.

Have a great day. If I forgot anyone, I offer my sincerest and humblest apololgies.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    Good Afternoon.

Mykaylis, hope you left a few good deals for me. We have only bought two or three gifts so far. I'll try to do some tomorrow when I'm doing the weekly shopping.

E's Mom, glad to see your smiling face. Keep on keeping on.

Kely Sue, those Christmas parties are tough. From now to the actual day, I have two or three a week at work. And they all ask me to eat with them. I just try to plan ahead. And walk, walk, walk.

Caramel, enjoy your "crazy" workout tonight. Due to time restraints, I haven't done a full cardio workout since Saturday morning. Or maybe it was Friday.

Surprise, surprise, I've been running around like a crazy man. Yesterday morning before daylight I had to carry Margie to Bristol {50 minute round trip} to catch her ride to Orlando. She is at a Small County Elections Conference. She has to go to keep her certification up to date. Her hotel is just a couple of blocks from the rodent with the big ears :o

I did go back to bed and sleep until near noon. Then had a Christmas Party last night, which I cleaned up after. With sleeping in, and the late night pot of coffee, I didn't get to bed until 0200. I read most of "My Autobiography," by Ben Franklin @ http://www.gutenberg.org/. Wish I had found it before I wrote my 3rd novel. 12 year old Ben has a cameo, and I will need to do some re-writing when I find the time.

The Dish Network guy was scheduled to upgrade Mamma's system this morning between 8-12, so I set the alarm accordingly. He called at noon to say he was running late. But I used the time to do a little cardio, most of my lifting, and all the dishes. Also I had brought home a lot of leftovers {potato salad, baked beans, grilled leg and thigh quarters, etc, etc} from the party that had to be dealt with. Some in the freezer, some for supper and some to Mamma's. I have way more food than meals to use it.

Tonight's event is the year end banquet for the Pee Wee and Tiny Mite cheerleaders. My office door will be closed :'( Those little girls can make some noise.

It's chilly here today. 48F right now. I wore long pants to work for a change.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Larro