My arms are skinny--increase volume?

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    caesar164 wrote: »
    A mere suggestion, that is all...damn..

It does seem to be a misunderstanding in my view since you thought she was trying to build and didn't understand the 531 program she was on. I think it's just time to let it go at that. :)

To OP, as you know I do the same program but I've decided this week to add a bi/forearm day to my abs after the leg day. I'll let you know how that works but since you hit your tris two days and bis only once I thought I would give it a try.

Your obviously a nice person, you can disagree with me without trying to make me feel like an ignorant idiot... You are right, I don't know much about this program, but my point the bicep and triceps are not large muscles, it doesn't take much time to blast them hard, I just don't see how this would interfere with that program..

It may not in reality but 531 is a four day, push/pull/lower split so you would have to be careful how you position a pure arms day. The split is push, pull, rest, push, leg, rest, rest. This means it would be hard to put triceps into any other day without interfering with one of the push days (assuming 48 hours rest required). Biceps can be put in on the 2nd rest day and not interfere so this is what I am trying. I wouldn't want to do triceps on a 3rd day so I work them on both push days.

Does this make sense?
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member

It does seem to be a misunderstanding in my view since you thought she was trying to build and didn't understand the 531 program she was on. I think it's just time to let it go at that. :)

To OP, as you know I do the same program but I've decided this week to add a bi/forearm day to my abs after the leg day. I'll let you know how that works but since you hit your tris two days and bis only once I thought I would give it a try.

Your obviously a nice person, you can disagree with me without trying to make me feel like an ignorant idiot... You are right, I don't know much about this program, but my point the bicep and triceps are not large muscles, it doesn't take much time to blast them hard, I just don't see how this would interfere with that program..

It may not in reality but 531 is a four day, push/pull/lower split so you would have to be careful how you position a pure arms day. The split is push, pull, rest, push, leg, rest, rest. This means it would be hard to put triceps into any other day without interfering with one of the push days (assuming 48 hours rest required). Biceps can be put in on the 2nd rest day and not interfere so this is what I am trying. I wouldn't want to do triceps on a 3rd day so I work them on both push days.

Does this make sense?

You do need proper recovery, I guess you could add a bicep exercise or two on your pull day, and a triceps exercise on her push days.. I don't think it would interfere if she did the arm workout on
    Saturday morning.. Maybe at first, but she will get accustomed to it after a while, the body can adapt.

• w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    edited December 2014
    It was a legitimate recommendation when I made the suggestion of synthol. There was no mention of "how" the op was going to achieve her goal. Her suggested goal could be achieved in numerous ways as it is neither specific, measurable, realistic nor timely. Therefore, poor response to a poorly set goal :)
  • Wheelhouse15

Does this make sense?

You do need proper recovery, I guess you could add a bicep exercise or two on your pull day, and a triceps exercise on her push days.. I don't think it would interfere if she did the arm workout on
    Saturday morning.. Maybe at first, but she will get accustomed to it after a while, the body can adapt.

True, it might be something she can try. She can read and respond tomorrow I don't want to speak for her but it might be an idea. I might try it next week and see what happens. I already work bisceps on my pull days so that gives me 2 bi/forearm and 2 tri but triceps can generally handle a bigger load. As long as it doesn't interfere with the bench it should work.
  • Wheelhouse15
    w734q672 wrote: »
    It was a legitimate recommendation when I made the suggestion of synthol. There was no mention of "how" the op was going to achieve her goal. Her suggested goal could be achieved in numerous ways as it is neither specific, measurable, realistic nor timely. Therefore, poor response to a poorly set goal :)

lol, ok got it.
  • w734q672

Does this make sense?

True, it might be something she can try. She can read and respond tomorrow I don't want to speak for her but it might be an idea. I might try it next week and see what happens. I already work bisceps on my pull days so that gives me 2 bi/forearm and 2 tri but triceps can generally handle a bigger load. As long as it doesn't interfere with the bench it should work.

In terms of your argument, what exercise science evidence can you provide that shows that separation of pull/push foundation is more or less beneficial to hypertrophy growth and recovery.
  • Wheelhouse15

Does this make sense?

In terms of your argument, what exercise science evidence can you provide that shows that separation of pull/push foundation is more or less beneficial to hypertrophy growth and recovery.

You didn't actually read my posts or you wouldn't ask me about hypertrophy, now would you?
  • caesar164

Does this make sense?

I have an exercise I do that I would like to share with you, and everyone else lol.. I think it has helped me with some growth in my biceps; Its basically a dumbbell curl, I start with a moderately heavy pair dumbbells, use a weight that allows you to perform 8-10 reps. What I do is perform 5 reps with a supinated curl, another 5 reps with a neutral curl, basically a regular curl without supinating your wrist like the first 5 reps, and finish the last 5 with a hammer curls.. I guarantee, after a few sets, your biceps and forearms will be pumped like crazy...give it a try, its like a 3 in 1 exercise..
  • w734q672
    edited December 2014

Does this make sense?

You didn't actually read my posts or you wouldn't ask me about hypertrophy, now would you?

"You do need proper recovery, I guess you could add a bicep exercise or two on your pull day, and a triceps exercise on her push days.. I don't think it would interfere if she did the arm workout on Saturday morning."
    I am making an inference on your previous statement on the separation of pull/ push exercises. I am assuming that you believe that rest time is necessary between the two forms, but what evidence proves such a statement. I am just curious, not necessarily trolling you or anything like that

• Wheelhouse15

Does this make sense?

"You do need proper recovery, I guess you could add a bicep exercise or two on your pull day, and a triceps exercise on her push days.. I don't think it would interfere if she did the arm workout on Saturday morning."
    I am making an inference on your previous statement on the separation of pull/ push exercises. I am assuming that you believe that rest time is necessary between the two forms. I am just curious, not necessarily trolling you or anything like that

What I was trying to say is that you didn't understand what I was pointing out since it's not a building program where hypertrophy is the over-riding factor. If I was on a building program then I would do different splits with higher volume per week on each muscle group.

I, and the OP, are on a powerlifting program and the rest time is longer for reason specific to the philosophy of training that encompass powerlifting. If I was to link to any current hypertrophy related articles I think you would find that volume per week is more important so if you want that you should be looking here:

hypertrophyspecific.com/hst_index.html

BTW no I didn't' think you were trolling, I just thought you were asking the wrong person.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited December 2014

Does this make sense?

I have an exercise I do that I would like to share with you, and everyone else lol.. I think it has helped me with some growth in my biceps; Its basically a dumbbell curl, I start with a moderately heavy pair dumbbells, use a weight that allows you to perform 8-10 reps. What I do is perform 5 reps with a supinated curl, another 5 reps with a neutral curl, basically a regular curl without supinating your wrist like the first 5 reps, and finish the last 5 with a hammer curls.. I guarantee, after a few sets, your biceps and forearms will be pumped like crazy...give it a try, its like a 3 in 1 exercise..

Ahh, like triple arm curls, one of my favourite Arnold exercises back when I started. Thanks, I haven't used them in years but I think I'll give them a try again! :)
  • caesar164
    I like building programs :) I always thought that people who lift weights wanted to develop their muscles; but I have learned that there are people that just want to get stronger, without developing their muscles and increasing its size... Muscles will get larger as you get stronger, just not as developed as if you were doing a split routine, or bro splits as some will call it lol.
  • w734q672
    edited December 2014

Does this make sense?

I am making an inference on your previous statement on the separation of pull/ push exercises. I am assuming that you believe that rest time is necessary between the two forms. I am just curious, not necessarily trolling you or anything like that

What I was trying to say is that you didn't understand what I was pointing out since it's not a building program where hypertrophy is the over-riding factor. If I was on a building program then I would do different splits with higher volume per week on each muscle group.

I, and the OP, are on a powerlifting program and the rest time is longer for reason specific to the philosophy of training that encompass powerlifting. If I was to link to any current hypertrophy related articles I think you would find that volume per week is more important so if you want that you should be looking here:

hypertrophyspecific.com/hst_index.html

BTW no I didn't' think you were trolling, I just thought you were asking the wrong person.

"I have skinny arms and would love to make them bigger. I'd love to add more volume, but I'm completely squeezed for time (I have exactly 35 minutes to go to the gym each day, which is just enough time to get the big muscle groups each time). I've been lifting for a few years and am currently in the middle of my second bulk."

This girl doesn't know what she wants, and her programming and goal setting reflects it. She has this specific "spot training" (myth) goal from what I can interpret, which is kind of unhealthy even from an aesthetic standpoint. Just curious, what happens when you hit a plateau in powerlifting from a programming standpoint?
  • caesar164
    edited December 2014

Yeah, they could be intense! Try increasing the weight with each set, without reducing the reps! Your arms will be ion fire! Another great to exercise for forearms, are the reverse grip barbell curls, use moderate weight with high reps, 12- 18 reps... You don't see many people doing those...

• caesar164
    I understand mrM27, I try to train everything equally to have a balanced look. I'm all for getting stronger and increasing your maxes; I use periodization techniques, where there's periods that I'll use powerlifting techniques to increase strength; other periods are aimed at hypertrophy, de-loading periods, etc. Lately I have been doing less powerlifting training , and just increasing intensity using moderately heavy weights. The reason being, I'm almost 38 years old, I have been lifting for a while lol, and I have suffered some injuries from mainly squats..which is my favorite exercise... I injured my back pretty bad this past summer, and I still went to the gym, still trained legs, just worked around the injury. I love to train, so I train smarter and with more care; I don't want to miss the gym due to injury. I want to get back to squatting, I already have started doing front squats, but the back pumps are intense, and I am afraid of re-aggravating my back. So my point is, after years of going all out, there comes a point that risk of injuries increase if your not careful, and let your ego think for you. :)

• w734q672
    edited December 2014
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I like building programs :) I always thought that people who lift weights wanted to develop their muscles; but I have learned that there are people that just want to get stronger, without developing their muscles and increasing its size... Muscles will get larger as you get stronger, just not as developed as if you were doing a split routine, or bro splits as some will call it lol.

We all have different goals. Some want to get as big as possible and touch their genetic threshold naturally while being strong. Some don't feel the desire to be the guy with the biggest arms in the room and are contempt getting stronger in their training.

There are plenty of training styles that one can implement whether it be power, hypertrophy, endurance, periodical whatever they choose. Many factors such as goals and time constraints will aid us in choosing a path.

Yes muscles do get stronger as they get bigger but CNS training is also a big part of being able to move more weight.

W734, I'm not even going to bother with you. Not worth the wasted effort.

Your rebuttal is not necessary. I do not need novice advice about exercise science from an EMT. If I wanted to truly get expert opinion, I'd go straight to Mark Rippetoe or somebody more credible in the exercise science field. I don't ask an ice cream truck driver about balance sheet problems, I ask an accountant.

"Yes muscles do get stronger as they get bigger"
    This is a fallacy. Injections of synthol in a particular muscle can stretch muscle fascia. The injected muscle will look bigger, but you will not necessarily be stronger.
  • caesar164
    Damn! Stalker lol...