Replies

• loosaedna
    loosaedna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @RobinEgg Congradulations
  • ArmyofMom
    ArmyofMom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congrats Robin! I know as a 100+ er that having someone who knows what it is like to feel overwhelmed by the journey lend a hand really helps.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @robin--congrats on your new position!! Love both of your mantras too. :smile:

@erin--welcome! Yes, you can absolutely do it--and you are the only one who can make yourself do it! I have a friend with RA and she also has bad days when moving just plain hurts. As hard as it will be, try not to let that derail you. Just do what you can whenever you feel up to it. Plenty of folks on here lost a lot of their weight without doing any exercise.

@army--LOL about not reading all 638 pages! Don't worry--you will get to know us all very soon without backtracking.

AFM--A house in the neighborhood just north of us went up in flames after the garage exploded. Not sure what caused that yet, but they've determined it wasn't a natural gas leak. One person died and another was seriously wounded--the house was a total loss. Something like 15 fire departments were at the scene and they had roads closed while they initially were determining if the are was safe. So scary!

On another note, my MIL called and left one of her messages. For you newlings, lets just say my MIL is a "treat." Yes, we made it through the holidays with no contact from her, but she called today. She left a message in her sweetest, motherly voice about how she misses my DH and wants only good things for him in 2015. Then she said it's too bad he let his "wife's petty jealousy" keep him from seeing him own mother for 2 Christmases in a row. The woman is delusional. DH believes she is just trying to provoke him into calling her by attacking me, but he won't be manipulated by her.

Now I'm off to file some paperwork for just 15 minutes. :smile:

2015 mantra = "Just 15 minutes"

January Challenge:
    Under calorie goal: 2/2 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    All-in: run 2 days/week
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47)

Cleaning Goals:
    1. file paperwork/bills
    2. clean fish tank

Grading Goals:
    1. 14/50 AP essays
    2. x/13 Scarlet Letter essays

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--rest day
    Tues--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Wed--8k at gym DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE
    Fri--walk gunner DONE
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

• MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @robin Congrats on becoming a greeter you have been so welcoming to me and the other newbies here I know you are a perfect fit!

@skinnyjeanzbound‌ Your MIL and my MIL sound like they went to the same MIL training school. Things are okay now but that is because we haven't seen them for 2 years, which makes me sad because we have 3 kids and they really only have my parents in their lives as grandparents the ILs show up once every 2 or 3 years and overstay their welcome then get upset with me for having boundaries (like don't tell my 10 year old who already adores running and is placing at cross country meets plus swims on the swim team and is so skinny we have to give her special nutrition drinks, that she shouldn't have another apple because "it will make her fat if she eats too much" - no one gets fat eating two apples crazy lady and don't fill my 10 year old daughter's head with your body shaming tales).

So we ended up going out to eat tonight and I fell into the trap of not wanting to take my phone out to track before eating. Tracked in the car on the way home though and man those rolls at Texas Steakhouse are crazy high in calories (but so good). I'm about 300 calories over for the day with those puppies but I enjoyed the meal and made good choices otherwise, I simply fell into the trap of warm carbohydrates sitting on the table.

We walked around the mall for a half hour on purpose for some extra activity - wasn't fast because we had all three girls with us but it was better then nothing! I also got some new sneakers - which I am not considering a fitness video or gadget because my old pair were giving my ankle such issues that I've been doing my workout videos barefoot because it feels better.
  • CRMillsap
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm new but I think I know what I'm doing :). Just want each of you to know that you can do it. This will be a year of success.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    So cool to see this thread is still going! I remember it started back when I was in my second year on MFP. I see it pop up now and then in the "Recent Forum Topics" list. Keep it up, guys! (*)
  • JenW70503
    JenW70503 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am "new"...by that, I mean I'm re-starting my weight loss journey. I have a history of yo-yoing with weight and I'm really trying not to let that happen again. I need to lose over 100 pounds and I've only been able to shed about 25 of those on again and off again over the last few years.

My plan is to eat 1350 calories daily and exercise M-F for 40 minutes (Planet Fitness on my lunch hour). I have five kids at home and a husband who works *a lot* so I have to squeeze it in whenever I can. My family could care less about eating healthy (my kids have awesome metabolisms and are perfectly thin and my husband likes food too much to turn down anything--he's overweight but not severely so)...and I'm super picky so I struggle to find a variety of healthy things I like. But I know I can do it, so I'm just going to do it. After I lose my 100 pounds, we're going to try for our last child, which is fantastic motivation to loose.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am on here fairly late tonight. It has been a good but very busy day. I got up early this morning and got the house all picked up. Once my son got up a little later we got to work on finishing up the garage. We went through and found everything that needed to go to the dump and went there first thing. Our dump tends to get seriously busy later in the day as my poor brother found out when he borrowed our truck and made his run in the afternoon. We got the whole garage completely cleaned out and organized and then for good measure also cleaned up the front yard and the driveway. Before starting all this I go my new fitbit set up and clipped on to see how it went. I think I must have done it right since when I went to put in my dinner I had just over 400 extra calories. Does this mean I dont record my exercise? My thought on that would be yes but confirmation is always nice :) I also forgot to tell you all about my other favorite new thing. My husband and I ran to the store a couple weeks ago and they had something I have been wanting for a couple years on a seriously great clearance sale. I am now the proud owner of a beautiful french door bottom freezer refridgerator :) It is all stocked up with nice healthy food and still has lots of room in it compared to the old one that was to small and had the broken crisper drawers. It was definitley a good year and am sure that 2015 is going to be just as good if not better.

I am still thinking about what I want my mantra to be though I am impressed with alot of yours.
    Robin: congrats on the new moderating job. You are a perfect person for greeting newcomers.
    Tom and Amy I meant to tell you I loved your x-mas pics they were great :)

I didnt make any resolutions this year that were weight related for basically the first time in my adult life. I think with the support of my family, all of you guys, and MFP I have all the tools I need to succeed without resolutions.
    Well time to start thinking about heading to bed. I hope you all have a great nights sleep and I will cya tomorrow. :)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @tammy--I don't have a fitbit, but I think you're right that you don't need to log exercise if it's already accounting for the extra calories burned. I'm sure those on the thread who are fitbit experts can confirm though. Congrats on your new fridge!

@jenw--that's great that you can fit in a workout on your lunch hour.

@crmilsap--welcome!

@mkknits--OMG, yes! Boundaries are the issue with my MIL too. She's already driven away one adult grandson by meddling in his relationship, and is on the way to doing the same with my SIL (the grandson's mom). In fact, my SIL is trying to go to counseling with her mom just to figure out some way to co-exist, and when she first found the therapist, she explained that her mother has "boundary issues." After their first session, my MIL got home and promptly called the therapist to discuss some more issues. The therapist was like, "um, your hour is up for today; you need to wait until your next appointment to talk about this." MIL got angry and blew off the next session. Unreal! Good for you for not letting your MIL poison your daughters body image--that makes me crazy!
  • scrubb816
    scrubb816 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! My name is Carlye and I am restarting this little weight loss journey for, what feels like the 100th time :). I have two little boys who are going to need a more fit and active Momma... And if we decide on baby #3 at some point, I can not do another severely overweight pregnancy. Also, we are talking about moving to Florida - and the thought of the warm weather, fewer clothes, bathing suits, and sweating is gonna keep me motivated!

I would like to ease back into exercise ( I have back issues ) and work on increasing my nonexistent water intake! Also, I am loving this thread already!

January Goals -
    Track Food Daily - 1/30 (started on the 2nd)
    Minimum 4 glasses of water daily - 1/30
    Lose 10 lbs. - 0/10
  • loosaedna
    loosaedna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound Mother in laws can be like that some times. Mine use to tell my kids that if i wasn't married to her son she would knock me on my butt. Looks like you did good on your schedule this week.

@MKknits At least you walked some it doesn't matter how fast at least you got exercise. As far as going over calories i will tell you what everyone tells me, shake it off and start again tomorrow.

@CRmillsap Welcome, you will find that a lot of people here are very supportive. And yes everyone can do it. They just need to take it a day at a time.

@JenW70503 Welcome. It sounds like you have your hands full. Being a mom is a full time job itself. I have two that thank heavens is old enough now to take care of them selves but they both live with me still and I like that. But like your family they are all skinny and really don't have to worry about weight gain at least not at this time. My husband is also very skinny so I am the only one out of our family who is very over weight. This is why I eat different food then them because otherwise I would always be going over my calories.

@jtconst congratulations on the new refrigerator it is always nice to get something new. And yes with the help of everyone here and MFP tools I believe it helps a lot with staying on track. But sometimes we go over but that's okay because we start again the next day trying to do better. I don't know anything about the exercise portion because I am disabled and can only walk about 50 feet then am hurting so bad that I sweat and have to sit. Crying is a everyday thing for me because of the pain. Sorry I can't help on that. Nice meeting you.

@scrubb816 Welcome back, Its a new year and a great time to start on the weight loss journey again. I had the same problem with water I hated it to a tee but now drink 8 glasses a day by putting in some Dasani drops to change the flavor a little. I too have back issues but because of my weight it is more pronounced. This is one reason I need to lose weight. Florida is a very warm place. I live in Louisiana and i love not having snow on the ground like I did when I lived in Michigan. Welcome to the group.

My goals for January
    Track my food intake. 2/30 under calories
    Drink 8 glasses of water daily
    try and figure some exercises i can do in my chair
    Stay on task
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Went to yoga and it was great, just what I needed! DH survived taking all three to cheer alone (2 to watch the other cheer). Map my fitness had crazy high calorie counts though it wanted to give me 1440 calories for an hour of yoga. I was sweating but not 1400 calories sweating so i took it out and just put it in to mfp manually and it gave me 300 calories for an hour which seems far more realistic.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Oh shoot, I missed being able to say "good morning" by 8 minutes! Rats...

Oh well, I did pretty darn well, went to bed at my night owl's time of 3 am but set alarm for 8:30. My nervous system woke me at 8:10 to avoid the alarm. Doing the am routine took me til now - and I am keeping my promise to post, so I'm all happy with myself!
    The food scale is now front and center next to coffee pot. First thing I did was weigh every bowl and plate I use and posted it above the scale. Now, I can plunk any food right on any thing and weigh it objectively and did so -gosh 4 oz is tiny :s ! ps. my kitchen cabinets are covered with post-its!

MIL's - those with nasty ones - you have my sympathies - navigating those waters must be rough. I was lucky to be blessed with a wonderful MIL during my 20y marriage. GRHS.

@Newbies since yesterday! Welcome ! Howdy from Omaha, and this hefty ole lady who's regained some pounds this past year from -darn, no excuses now, OVEREATING! So I'm back at the hard stuff -
    Eating less than I burn. Its that simple...and that hard.
  • ArmyofMom
    ArmyofMom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone! Thanks you to all of you who added me as friends. the support really brightens my day,
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,174 Member
    Options
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    Here I am again - another goal: I 'intend' to 'attend' to this discussion in the Mornings - haha- rather than wait til the evening!

Also, if you look at my pic, you may notice it says under my pic, "MFP Greeter". Yep, I am now officially a member of the Moderator Team. They approached me in December, and I quickly accepted. My volunteer position is simply to be a Greeter in the "Getting Started" Section of the Discussions. I have Superpowers now, in that I can kick out rude and crude people who don't act according to MFP guidelines. But, more than that, I get to lend a helping hand to those who might need it as they start their journey here. I'm very excited about this new role, which started Jan 1.

Don't worry, my friends. It won't change my dedication to this ongoing conversation - you are always First and Foremost to me! <3

All right---congrats Robin MFP Greeter!!

• CRMillsap
    Options
    Morning All. I believe the battle starts in our mind...so clean thinking daily. Our thoughts play a major role in our lives....no more stinkin thinkin :) .
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    My 'all-in' goals went well yesterday. Cathy and I got a good walk. It was too cold for DH and Burt. The downside is that I tripped on some snow and did a beautiful spread eagle on the road. I was able to get up and get home just fine, but I bruised some ribs on my right side. I am not doing much today. Pulling on my compression stockings was really hard. I'm probably back to pedaling for a few days.
    It looks like we all have the year off to a good start. We will do it. Onward and downward. Kaye
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Having a little trouble getting this year started. First we hit the deer, then had "instant" company from my HS days, a woman I haven't seen for 50 years....quick clean the house, fix lunch for her out of what is in the house....., then supper out with grandson and GF followed by a scary trip home in the car last night with the battery failing...the alternator they say and it is in the garage for repair now...Don't know if the deer hit caused this. When we got home last night my sis informed us Mom (93yrs old) had chest pains and was rushed to ER. She is still there being observed; so far so good. She will have a stress test on Monday. She is in Indiana 350 miles away so not sure what that will mean. Soooo, guess who hasn't completely tracked her calories this year! I don't think I have been far off, but I honestly don't know.
    My new pedometer came. That is a mystery. It doesn't match the steps I count so I am still fussing with that.
    I have been "lurking" though, so am still here.
    Barbara (mountmary84)

Yes, this sounds like fiction, but it is all true. LOL Life is crazier than fiction???

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Goodness, Barbara, your year is starting off way too exciting. Good luck. Kaye
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Working on getting 2015 off to a good start. The LOTR marathon with the nieces went pretty well. I ate more than I intended, but did choose NOT to get a second helping of chips & queso and put a big container of carrots & celery next to my chair instead. Got lots of fiber that day. :wink:

I started reading a book called "Miracle Morning" today, about building a morning routine focused on self-improvement that will lead to success throughout all areas of life. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, but it did prompt me to quit making excuses and get to the rec center for a 30 minute visit with my friend the elliptical this afternoon.

Also got the laundry done, ran an errand and now I'm de-Christmasing my house. Productivity!