Does Anyone Notice The Rampant Negativity Here?

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Yes I notice it. It seems like regular posters have met their goals and have developed a gang member mentality to attack any outsiders . If theyve met their goals and are feeling the need to be mean they should try to do it in real life and see what kind of response theyd get. They may make someone cry or get a much needed punch in the face. Lol sorry was that mean ?

*sigh*

1. Please provide examples. Heck, please provide even ONE example.

2. The people I know on MFP that I also know IRL behave similarly. I appreciate the same level of bluntness online that I do offline.

3. I may have reached my goal, but I haven't reached my goalS. There are always other goals to reach. I am...as well as others are...not one and done.
    This^
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Yes, it's alive and well here, and no, not every instance is well-intended advice taken the wrong by an oversensitive person.

Examples please. Find one (of the many since it's "rampant" now) and post the link in this thread. We will all be enlightened for the experience.

Sorry if this sounded condescending. That wasn't my intention.

(FYI, "condescending" means "talking down to someone".)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Yes I notice it. It seems like regular posters have met their goals and have developed a gang member mentality to attack any outsiders . If theyve met their goals and are feeling the need to be mean they should try to do it in real life and see what kind of response theyd get. They may make someone cry or get a much needed punch in the face. Lol sorry was that mean ?

If by "attacking outsiders" you mean dispelling common food and diet myths that are constantly pushed by the likes of Food Babe, Dr. Oz, Mercola, et al... then yes, I guess that would be considered "attacking" to those with a martyr complex... Being blunt and to the point =/= mean...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I was referring more to negative attitudes and snappy responses people have to what I would take as someone genuinely wanting to know about a subject (say low carb diets). I'm not going to go looking for specific examples, but having been back for 6 days after a six month lapse in tracking it just seems like the forum is not what it used to be.

Also, having been fat my entire life I'm well aware of what bullying entails, and I have seen it here. Someone complaining about pain suffered during exercise and other respondents saying things like, "You'll never lose weight if you don't move"...things like that - or "suck it up". That's not constructive and can be hurtful to people like me who are morbidly obese and have extreme pain, not only exercising, but moving altogether. And when someone is coming here looking for support, I'm sorry - but sarcasm can be very hurtful and discouraging.

I'm not saying that all threads have these types of tone, but it is something that seems more evident than it was before.

Also, this isn't a negative thread. I'm asking a question and addressing it in a conscientious way.

Please share that thread? I have been here for a while and I have never seen anyone say "suck it up" if someone is experiencing pain during exercise unless it's normal DOMS. And, in that case, I've never gleaned an attitude quite like what you are describing.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    I don't see a lot of it, but there is one user that does tend to personally attack me instead of defending their position. It doesn't bother me much, as it just means I win the argument. LOL I do think these forums are pretty tame compared to others on the net.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Meh...as the internet goes, this is a pretty tame place.

Actually, I rarely see anyone actually being mean or negative...but I see a lot of people who interpret things like, "don't waste your money and time with a cleanse" as being mean or negative because it's simply something they don't want to hear. There seem to be a lot of people on MFP who think that being "supportive" simply means being agreeable about everything...even if it's *kitten*.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    karyabc wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »

So, someone who has lost 100+ pounds and reached their goal no longer has value here?

do you actually by heart even if i my self don't agree with her opinion think that that was what she meant ? really?...

I happen to be friends with a lot of the people on here who have "met their goals" who give good, but blunt, advice. I imagine those people would be the same way in real life as they are here.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    yeah i see negativity on here sometimes but its fetus level compared to other websites
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Meh...as the internet goes, this is a pretty tame place.

Actually, I rarely see anyone actually being mean or negative...but I see a lot of people who interpret things like, "don't waste your money and time with a cleanse" as being mean or negative because it's simply something they don't want to hear. There seem to be a lot of people on MFP who think that being "supportive" simply means being agreeable about everything...even if it's *kitten*.

Yup... it's right up there with Food Babe blocking anyone that doesn't blow glitter rainbows up her derriere...
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    JackKopCh wrote: »
    I can't speak for outside the chit chat section of the forum, but if anyone thinks there is any negativity in the this part of the forum they are mistaken and delusional.... O_o

Was the thread aimed at this section of the forums? :\

-patpat-

Some people need drama in their lives to function properly.

Ish okie :3
    Let's go build a snowman :D
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    I can't speak for outside the chit chat section of the forum, but if anyone thinks there is any negativity in the this part of the forum they are mistaken and delusional.... O_o

-patpat-

No! D:
    czycw53cset7.gif

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member

-patpat-

No! D:
    czycw53cset7.gif

Lemon flavored snowcones? xD lol..
    I'll take your pug pillow >:O!!!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member

-patpat-

tumblr_n1s4nouk3R1r3nf5do1_500.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    32313_zpsb26faa9f.gif
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member

-patpat-

No! D:
    czycw53cset7.gif

2ji81ylyu3l4.gif

Jks <3
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member

-patpat-

No! D:
    czycw53cset7.gif

I'm not digging the yellow... it's hard to read... lol!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I would also add that I've been here over two years and personally, I think this place is actually a lot more tame than it used to be...if anything, I see more "vets" going out of their way to be helpful when at this point they could just take there wealth of knowledge and experience into the sunset..
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    brower47 wrote: »
    32313_zpsb26faa9f.gif

Why you make my brain hurt?!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    TIL

"You'll never lose weight if you don't move". and "suck it up"

Is bullying.

:noway: