"I want to lose weight, but I don't want to get too skinny!"

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    oh, you're also my height. I was a size 12/14 when I was only 140 pounds. I have wide hips and also probably gained a lot of weight there. I was 30 pounds lighter than you and wore a larger size. I'm guessing you could get down to a size 2 or at least a 4 in today's sizes.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    oh, you're also my height. I was a size 12/14 when I was only 140 pounds. I have wide hips and also probably gained a lot of weight there. I was 30 pounds lighter than you and wore a larger size. I'm guessing you could get down to a size 2 or at least a 4 in today's sizes.
    We'll see!

• TaraHancock827
    TaraHancock827 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My point is though that in that pic I'm 5'7 and about 160-165 lbs puting me in the "overweight" category of BMI. Does that look overweight to you? At that time you could also see 4-pack definition. So when I personally say I want to get down to 160 because I don't want too look too skinny, sure it sounds odd when for my hight "normal" is 130-150. But seriously? Taking another 30 pounds off of me in that pic? I'm I would NOT look healthy, I would in fact look too skinny.
    So while people may pick a weight in the "overweight" category it doesn't always really mean they are "overweight", you know?

Im 5'8 and want to be 160...u look great in this pic and any more weight loss would definitely make u look too skinny.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    I find it strange too. People claim to have different body types though and claim to be more muscular naturally whereas they look emaciated at a low weight, but I do wonder if they are fooling themselves. Without purposely lifting weights to bulk up, I question if they are right. I look best at the low end of the bmi scale or a little underweight according to bmi.

Well, there are such things as different body types, so I'm not sure why you think someone is fooling themselves if they say this. I'm 5 foot 8. My goal is to be between 170 and 175, which is above my ideal weight range. I got down to about 173 years ago, and even my doctor told me not to lose any more weight. I am built big though. I wear size 12 shoes, and have big hands. I just have a larger body type, and I can carry more weight and still look thin. I was about a 10/12, sometimes an 8 at that weight. Going any lower just isn't sustainable for me. Not fooling myself, just being realistic.

10/12 is not thin.

To each their own. It's thin enough for me. And thin enough for my doctor to tell me I shouldn't lose anymore. I think I'll listen to him over you, but thanks. :)

it is if you are 6'3 and small framed like the girls in my family.

• yoovie
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I find it strange too. People claim to have different body types though and claim to be more muscular naturally whereas they look emaciated at a low weight, but I do wonder if they are fooling themselves. Without purposely lifting weights to bulk up, I question if they are right. I look best at the low end of the bmi scale or a little underweight according to bmi.

Well, there are such things as different body types, so I'm not sure why you think someone is fooling themselves if they say this. I'm 5 foot 8. My goal is to be between 170 and 175, which is above my ideal weight range. I got down to about 173 years ago, and even my doctor told me not to lose any more weight. I am built big though. I wear size 12 shoes, and have big hands. I just have a larger body type, and I can carry more weight and still look thin. I was about a 10/12, sometimes an 8 at that weight. Going any lower just isn't sustainable for me. Not fooling myself, just being realistic.
    170-175 is the ideal range for 5'8"?

I'm sorry but that's just out of the healthy weight range. 5 to 10 lbs over.

(she said it's above her ideal range) :)

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    So while most overweight people realize they are too heavy and want to lose weight, most don't want to become a runway model who looks emaciated. That's all they are saying.

Good thing the vast, overwhelming majority of once heavy people will never even taste "runway model emaciated".

Which does make it odd that so many fat people run around claiming to be terrified of getting "too skinny".

Well. Most normal weight people will never be above 300 lbs. Does it make it completely irrational to be terrified of this possibility and take measures to avoid it?

How many normal weight people have you met, or talked to, who have an active fear of reaching 300 or more pounds?

So far, for me, it's 0. However I've lost count of the many people, from obese to just moderately overweight, who've expressed some fear, real or put upon, that they sooooo don't want to get too skinny.

I have a fear of being morbidly obese. I've been obese before, I'm 5'1 and my highest weight was 160. If I could get to 160, what was stopping me from getting to 200? 250? 300? If I had stayed on the path that I was on, I could have very easily gone up. It wouldn't have happened overnight, but it could have happened.

And besides you never know what can happen. I know a girl who went from I'm guessing a size 2/4 to I would say she's about 14/16 now. She got married, had 2 kids, and wasn't able to be as active as she used to be (she was a ballet dancer, so she was always moving). My point is, stuff happens. And it is entirely valid to have a fear/concern about getting heavy.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

You're right ..I'm 169 at 5'8 and out of the healthy weight range ..but I wear a UK 10/12 (US 6/8) and have 25.5% bodyfat and I simply don't want to go much slimmer...although I'm going to hit 165 slowly just to see

I know I don't have to lecture you on the use of the BMI population measure in an individual basis so I'll just point out that argument / ongoing thread here
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When I was very thin, I did have a fear of eventually becoming morbidly obese - and it was because I knew, based on my insane eating habits, that it could happen (and did, for a few years).

I knew that I could "just not eat," but once I put something into my mouth...I couldn't stop.

I was quite correct in my assessment (or eventually, I was correct about it; I kept my weight quite low for decades).

I realized even at the time that I really had to figure out how to just eat normally for maintenance, but I couldn't see a way to do that. It has taken me many years to get where I am now, which is: eating at a deficit that isn't making me faint, and not compensating later by binging.

I think most of us probably know at least one person (I know more than one) who was quite thin, then suddenly ballooned. And all around us, at least in the U.S., the UK and a number of other countries, see very, very overweight people all over the place. I don't think it's irrational at all to fear severe obesity, when we see it all around us, all the time. We know we're not special snowflakes who will somehow be immune to it no matter what happens.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm not reading through this entire thread. But let's be honest here. The majority of women who say that are women who have spent a great deal of energy trying to convince themselves and others that true beauty lies in curves. And that society and the media has misconstrued our perception of beauty so much that we desire the completely unnatural and unattainable lean physique of Ana's. Hence the relentless meme's about "real women" have curves et al.

It's a little difficult to pivot out of such brainwashing and admit to themselves that "lean" is not what they think it means. And let's face it, if they do set a lower yet still healthy goal, their lady friends with consider it a personal attack and a declaration of war against them. In a woman's world, any attempt to better yourself is automatically a back handed insult against other women. In a woman's world, the quickest way to alienate yourself from all of your friends is to get fit. Truth.

And yes, we all have a different definition of skinny. I've been called too skinny AND too muscular in the same sentence. Lol... Wut?!?
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    And yes, we all have a different definition of skinny. I've been called too skinny AND too muscular in the same sentence. Lol... Wut?!?
    I just creeped your profile. Your body is banging! Not too skinny OR too muscular!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My reasons are different than those offered by the OP. The one time I got close to my goal weight I was 145 lbs. At 5' 4", that's at the top of the "ideal" range. I was happy, energetic, and starving. For months I could not diet any lower.

Now I am older and wiser and I'd be thrilled to get close to 145 and stay there.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Never said it was ideal weight range. Read my post again. I said it was above but it's where I'm most comfortable...what is sustainable for me personally...I've never been able to sustain a lower weight without being miserable....Just my experience with MY body.
  • jnv7594
    Options

Never said it was ideal weight range. Read my post again. I said it was above but it's where I'm most comfortable...what is sustainable for me personally...I've never been able to sustain a lower weight without being miserable....Just my experience with MY body.

Yes, someome already pointed out to me what you said and I acknowledged that. No need to get all emotional.

Didn't get emotional...don't flatter yourself into thinking your words are that important.
  • yoovie
    Options
    lolol sometimes words really can hurt you!

1408554753_cowboy_hits_the_end_sign_while_riding_horse__geico_commercial.gif
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Skinny is an arbitrary term. So yes, for some people, myself included, skinny means waif-like and emaciated as a result of being co-opted by the pro-ana/mia crowd.

I don't want to be "skinny"; I want to be healthy, fit and strong. And if health, fit and strong means I'm on the upper limit of the "normal" range, so be it.

Agree 100% with this :smile: - I want to be healthy and strong, not hungry and ruled by the scales
  • jnv7594
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    lolol sometimes words really can hurt you!

1408554753_cowboy_hits_the_end_sign_while_riding_horse__geico_commercial.gif

:D
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I just creeped your profile. Your body is banging! Not too skinny OR too muscular!

this