Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    And a great cap to my day- throws out huffington post as a place of credible information about what causes cancer.

thank you deviboy- thank you- that was... just. awesome.

I would like to know where it says all that food is healthy for you?
    I know it sounds crazy, but a lot of the members here don't believe in food being "healthy" or "unhealthy".
    Why are you still in this bulking forum? I don't get it.

Well he does want to gain weight. So that explains that. Why he isn't listening to logic is another story. ie.. eat a damn pizza already!

its the same story over and over with this guy …good lord…

I think he is a troll...
    No he's most likely not a troll. He just doesn't get it

well that might be even worse...
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    And a great cap to my day- throws out huffington post as a place of credible information about what causes cancer.

I know it sounds crazy, but a lot of the members here don't believe in food being "healthy" or "unhealthy".

Well he does want to gain weight. So that explains that. Why he isn't listening to logic is another story. ie.. eat a damn pizza already!

I think he is a troll...

He's just trying to make some semantic point in regards to some very, very specific example. Not worth arguing about really
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think he is a troll...

He's just trying to make some semantic point in regards to some very, very specific example. Not worth arguing about really

you are probably right..

it is just frustrating...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You can eat a couple pieces of chicken and a protein shake and hit your protein macros. Fat and carbohydrates macros can be filled with various processed foods. You guys act like you're scientists with all the facts. I'm not saying IIFYM is 100% wrong, but in the long term, it can pay off to not eat garbage. And there's no need to put garbage and *kitten* foods in quotes, we all know there's no such thing as a clean or dirty food. But you get my point.

Context and dosage.

Of course you can. But adherence, lifestyle and mental well-being are also important.

Again, no-one is saying eat 'garbage' as you refer to it (and yes, I am putting it in quotes) all the time.

And what are you on about 'act like scientists'?

Also, most people think there is such a thing.
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Fitting your macros with whatever food you can doesn't affect your body composition, obviously. Calories in vs. calories out. But here's what annoys me: Eating *kitten* foods regardless of whether or not they fit your macros is bad for your health. Yeah you lost 20 lbs but guarantee half these people running this type of diet 100% of the time are gonna eventually run into problems. Too high of sodium, cholesterol, trans fat and refined sugars ARE bad for you. Obviously the science behind IIFYM is fact, but trying to be a generally healthy human being isn't gonna benefit from eating food high in all the stuff you don't want, regardless of macros.

Thank you
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I don't know. at this point if these guys want to live life via demonizing foods as healthy/unhealthy and only seem to think not eating them is the only way, then fine. I think it's a very unfun way to live life when others have proven that you can have any foods you want if you take them in moderation/context.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't know. at this point if these guys want to live life via demonizing foods as healthy/unhealthy and only seem to think not eating them is the only way, then fine. I think it's a very unfun way to live life when others have proven that you can have any foods you want if you take them in moderation/context.

for real….

It is way more liberating to know that if I want to have cheesecake I can eat some damn cheesecake and not be like "oh my god that was sooo bad"..

OR

Knowing I can eat ice cream and cookies and fit them into my overall macro/micro goal is nice to now …

OR

just being able to enjoy food in general without having a panic attack...
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    You can eat a couple pieces of chicken and a protein shake and hit your protein macros. Fat and carbohydrates macros can be filled with various processed foods. You guys act like you're scientists with all the facts. I'm not saying IIFYM is 100% wrong, but in the long term, it can pay off to not eat garbage. And there's no need to put garbage and *kitten* foods in quotes, we all know there's no such thing as a clean or dirty food. But you get my point.

IMHO, long term, it's looking like not being overweight with high BF% is what is ultimately the better choice vs the food you eat. the foods you eat might MAKE you overweight and have a high BF% but it goes to the amount you eat.

I'd guess if you meet your macro/micros, it wouldn't matter much what you ate

I'm not speaking in terms of weight or bodyfat. I'm speaking in terms of health. If you meet your macros/micros you're golden in terms of body composition. I count my macros/micros and I hit them every day. I'm not the leanest guy out there, and probably never will be and I'm okay with that. My goals are to be big and strong. But I'd like to get there in the healthiest way possible ie: as little refined sugar and trans fat as possible, and while keeping sodium and cholesterol levels in check.

Where were you about 3 hours ago, that was my point, but a lot of the foods out there are full of chemicals, or sorry I should rephrase that some people don't like those words being tossed around. Sugar, salt glueten and gmos free, just cause your lean and cut doesn't mean your arteries aren't lined with plaque and disease, we're starting to see young athletes as young as 18 and older die from heart attacks, might be from their high calorie diets, could be from over training, who knows, nobody really ever wants to talk about the cause.
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Wow whatever you say to make it ok to eat those foods is up to you, chemicals and preservatives over home grown cooked meals, I guess,

Wow...someone who cannot apply context and dosage, nor support his assertions...
    You know what, whenever media all over the world starts jumping all over something their must be some truth to it, if they are all lying then I guess I should start smoking again!

He supported his assertions, remember? Huffington Post....

Next stop Dr. Oz and YouTube videos....

• JeffseekingV
    Options
    Everything you eat has chemicals bro
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

IMHO, long term, it's looking like not being overweight with high BF% is what is ultimately the better choice vs the food you eat. the foods you eat might MAKE you overweight and have a high BF% but it goes to the amount you eat.

I'm not speaking in terms of weight or bodyfat. I'm speaking in terms of health. If you meet your macros/micros you're golden in terms of body composition. I count my macros/micros and I hit them every day. I'm not the leanest guy out there, and probably never will be and I'm okay with that. My goals are to be big and strong. But I'd like to get there in the healthiest way possible ie: as little refined sugar and trans fat as possible, and while keeping sodium and cholesterol levels in check.

Where were you about 3 hours ago, that was my point, but a lot of the foods out there are full of chemicals, or sorry I should rephrase that some people don't like those words being tossed around. Sugar, salt glueten and gmos free, just cause your lean and cut doesn't mean your arteries aren't lined with plaque and disease, we're starting to see young athletes as young as 18 and older die from heart attacks, might be from their high calorie diets, could be from over training, who knows, nobody really ever wants to talk about the cause.

oh noes! - electrolytes :o

PS watch out for stuff with dihydrogen monoxide - that's a bad one :)

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

I was helping devilboy1592 understand the general thought process of how things go in here in regards to the way food is viewed.

You can't help someone when you don't understand the concepts yourself. That's not hard to understand but with the way the back and forth conversations between you and members here go I'm not surprised you can't understand that.
    Maybe I should have worded it better. In isolation, the general thought process on here is that unhealthy and healthy food does not exist.

Enough already. You are always criticizing or debating what is said in here. Then you try to defend it but backtrack. The problem is you do understand a lot if the details that go into this game. That becomes a problem when you try and give advice or debate points. One smart thing to do is to ask questions, lurk, study, learn. Then gradually immerse yourself in the debates.

My biggest issue with you is you wander this Weight gain forum with ideas and concepts but you can't bulk, you don't bulk and you can't remove the tunnel vision when it comes to absorbing the information but yet you continuously make threads longer with the same stuff. The other thread from this morning that made it 5 pages and as soon as I went in it and saw it was just a short time frame I knew you would be all up in it.
    Ok. I think what happens in some cases (like this morning and again now) is that when the general consensus is challenged, and things are viewed the way I see it, I can't resist jumping in. That being said, it kind of seems like from the responses and other posts I've seen from you and ndj, you guys make it seem like the two of you "own" this part of the forum in terms of what should get posted. I mean, it just seems to me like if you both had the power to do so, I'd be banned from this section, while most everyone else would be ok with the things I've posted.

First, I don't own anything and its a public forum so you can post where you want.
    Second, when you post things that don't make sense then you are going to get called on it and asked to clarify.
    Third, this is the one forum on here that I generally enjoy because it does not have all the sugar addiction, detox, i can't eat 1200 calories, clean eating, paleo, BS that goes on in 99% of the other forums, and the people are generally knowledgable and I hate to see it turn into just a regular MFP form…
    Fourth - your constant whining an complaining about "skinny arms" "can't bulk" bla bla bla ..is just getting tiresome man. Good lord either eat more food, pick up heavier weights, and put some mass on, or just be happy with what you are doing now. I mean sarah even offered to help you and as far as I can tell you are still on the "woe is me I can't bulk boat"…if you won't take advice from her then you are freaking doomed man...

but don't come up in here and try to give advice on something you really do not fully understand and have never even tried…

if that is harsh, I apologize but I have one gear and it is usually highly intense….
    I didn't mean for my posts about my situation to come off as "whining" about it, but I can understand what you mean. I recognize what needs to be done about it in terms of how much I'm eating. But aside from Sarah I've gotten very little help in terms of how to proceed with my home setup (other than being told to abandon it and go to my old school and use that gym).

And like I posted in a response to MrM probably a couple weeks ago, a lot of the posts I make here simply add expound or challenge points made, as opposed to telling the OP "I suggest you do this". I wouldn't call a lot of these posts "advice", unless you both consider it all the same.

• ndj1979
    Options

I was helping devilboy1592 understand the general thought process of how things go in here in regards to the way food is viewed.

You can't help someone when you don't understand the concepts yourself. That's not hard to understand but with the way the back and forth conversations between you and members here go I'm not surprised you can't understand that.
    Maybe I should have worded it better. In isolation, the general thought process on here is that unhealthy and healthy food does not exist.

Enough already. You are always criticizing or debating what is said in here. Then you try to defend it but backtrack. The problem is you do understand a lot if the details that go into this game. That becomes a problem when you try and give advice or debate points. One smart thing to do is to ask questions, lurk, study, learn. Then gradually immerse yourself in the debates.

My biggest issue with you is you wander this Weight gain forum with ideas and concepts but you can't bulk, you don't bulk and you can't remove the tunnel vision when it comes to absorbing the information but yet you continuously make threads longer with the same stuff. The other thread from this morning that made it 5 pages and as soon as I went in it and saw it was just a short time frame I knew you would be all up in it.
    Ok. I think what happens in some cases (like this morning and again now) is that when the general consensus is challenged, and things are viewed the way I see it, I can't resist jumping in. That being said, it kind of seems like from the responses and other posts I've seen from you and ndj, you guys make it seem like the two of you "own" this part of the forum in terms of what should get posted. I mean, it just seems to me like if you both had the power to do so, I'd be banned from this section, while most everyone else would be ok with the things I've posted.

First, I don't own anything and its a public forum so you can post where you want.
    Second, when you post things that don't make sense then you are going to get called on it and asked to clarify.
    Third, this is the one forum on here that I generally enjoy because it does not have all the sugar addiction, detox, i can't eat 1200 calories, clean eating, paleo, BS that goes on in 99% of the other forums, and the people are generally knowledgable and I hate to see it turn into just a regular MFP form…
    Fourth - your constant whining an complaining about "skinny arms" "can't bulk" bla bla bla ..is just getting tiresome man. Good lord either eat more food, pick up heavier weights, and put some mass on, or just be happy with what you are doing now. I mean sarah even offered to help you and as far as I can tell you are still on the "woe is me I can't bulk boat"…if you won't take advice from her then you are freaking doomed man...

but don't come up in here and try to give advice on something you really do not fully understand and have never even tried…

if that is harsh, I apologize but I have one gear and it is usually highly intense….
    I didn't mean for my posts about my situation to come off as "whining" about it, but I can understand what you mean. I recognize what needs to be done about it in terms of how much I'm eating. But aside from Sarah I've gotten very little help in terms of how to proceed with my home setup (other than being told to abandon it and go to my old school and use that gym).

And like I posted in a response to MrM probably a couple weeks ago, a lot of the posts I make here simply add expound or challenge points made, as opposed to telling the OP "I suggest you do this". I wouldn't call a lot of these posts "advice", unless you both consider it all the same.

Look man ..you have the tools, and the knowledge…the rest is up to you ..I really hope that you take advantage of them and build the physique that you want…

it just take hard work and dedication...
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Oh yes,

OP has dropped weight - coincides with decreased exercise.
    OP is trying to gain weight
    OP is getting full on current calories
    OP is looking to up calories.

Let's shove more broccoli down her throat!!

Maybe recommend more cardio and a celery shake blended with water?

That would be such a negative calorie shake you would probably go catabolic just looking at it.

I think that's catabolocks. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Fun thread huh?

• deviboy1592
    Options
    I didn't intend to cause a storm, clearly some of you have issues, but the problem is if you have to label it then it's not good, flexible diet, watching what you eat, if I wanna eat cheese cake, even the word diet means something is wrong, even eat what you want, I used to love monster drinks, to me it was just a soda with some caffeine, now where I live you have to be 18 to buy it, I don't understand what all this negativity is coming from , to me, bottom line is there is good food, there is bad food, nutrition, good nutrition, yin and a damn yang, poor guy just wanted help, I assumed, ((which was wrong of me) that maybe he was in my situation, so I said my experience, then you guys come riding like the damn Lone Ranger, asking for quotes and articles, to me it's common sense, my grandparents and parents weren't over weight, America wasn't this obese, now tell me that certain foods out there isn't bad for you? Come on, macros micros, I can care less, I wanna live a long healthy overweight life, yes I said overweight, (5'11 should be 175 because I like the thick look I wanna hit 200) and if my story helps people so be it, but I won't run it at the risk of clogging an artery.
  • deviboy1592
    Options

Didn't you say that already?
  • deviboy1592
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

oh noes! - electrolytes :o

PS watch out for stuff with dihydrogen monoxide - that's a bad one :)

Thanks for the tip,
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Didn't you say that already?

yes. but you keep repeating the statement that some foods are full of chemicals. dude, they all are!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend to cause a storm, clearly some of you have issues, but the problem is if you have to label it then it's not good, flexible diet, watching what you eat, if I wanna eat cheese cake, even the word diet means something is wrong, even eat what you want, I used to love monster drinks, to me it was just a soda with some caffeine, now where I live you have to be 18 to buy it, I don't understand what all this negativity is coming from , to me, bottom line is there is good food, there is bad food, nutrition, good nutrition, yin and a damn yang, poor guy just wanted help, I assumed, ((which was wrong of me) that maybe he was in my situation, so I said my experience, then you guys come riding like the damn Lone Ranger, asking for quotes and articles, to me it's common sense, my grandparents and parents weren't over weight, America wasn't this obese, now tell me that certain foods out there isn't bad for you? Come on, macros micros, I can care less, I wanna live a long healthy overweight life, yes I said overweight, (5'11 should be 175 because I like the thick look I wanna hit 200) and if my story helps people so be it, but I won't run it at the risk of clogging an artery.

Wut?

• ndj1979
    Options

I think its time to stop posting now...