Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• ypamela21
    Options
    Bleh. Gained 2 pounds and am desperate to eat something even though, strictly speaking, I am not hungry. And stuck at a desk.

Do you want to try a breathing exercise? You might be just stressed out.
    just take a deep breath hold it for a second and slowly let it out. Repeat 5 times. You can also try to stretch your neck muscles by moving your head slowly in a circle and side to side a few times.
    Sometimes we just also need some water.

• MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Robin I am so sorry you are struggling and I hope taking some time can help you find some comfort. My mother dealt with some of the same issues and I've watched her struggle for years with the after math, I wish she would be strong enough to get help like you are. I haven't been around here long but your beautiful helpful spirit has provided me with encouragement, I hope you are able to use some of that spirit to allow yourself to heal.

I'm sorry to everyone else I'm reading but still struggling a bit with keeping up with everyone with personal comments.

AFM- I'm doing fine with my tracking and eating, still allowing myself some treats but really practicing listening to my body. I'm struggling with increasing activity is it okay if I just focus on my food for now? Am I cheating myself by doing that? I'm not sure but I think for now that may be what I do - one small step at a time, especially while I am dealing with this skin issue (which makes sweating physically painful right now).

I'm thinking of working towards gluten free. I did it a few years ago and felt so much better (I have IBS as well) but eventually my family revolted and I got tired of cooking separate meals. My husband is finally on board and agrees that giving gluten free a try may help with our kids behavior (all three have ADHD, my oldest is the only one we medicate because hers is the worst, my middle we don't medicate because we are worried about drug interactions with her anti-seizure meds, and my youngest is too old to formally diagnose - but we've been there done that with the other two who are formally diagnosed so I won't fall out of my chair when that diagnosis happens). I am hoping with two parents on board and slow changes we can move towards gluten free - we all actually prefer rice pasta now (specific brands) so that is a start!

School is kicking my butt right now - so many things due in the next few days, comments, behavior scores, grades and I have so many kids who are missing work because we've had a lot of kids out for sickness. I'm scrambling to get things updated and usually I'm right on top of things come report card time. Thank goodness we have a 3 day weekend coming!
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    @MKknits‌ - Yes, it is definitely OK to focus on food for now. I'm focusing on exercise now because my mental game just isn't there for the food part of it. Do one thing, make it your lifestyle, then add the other.

I'm struggling with...not motivation. Self-doubt and anxiety, I think. I get some assistance from the government (still recovering from 18 months of unemployment plus I still don't make a consistent full-time income), and during my routine financial check-in, I had to report that my bank account went over the "limit" in December due to a client paying some overdue invoices all at once. I'm worried that this will mean no more assistance. It's not much, but it's such a relief to know I have at least that amount of consistent money coming in each month. The stress of not being on control and possibly seeing that support disappear has been pulling me down the last couple of days. I'm turning my paperwork in tomorrow, and I think I'm going to include a note reminding them that my income is inconsistent and sharing my projected January income (it's going to be low; thank goodness that client paid up!).

On the bright side, I've done yoga every morning for 10 days straight, and I just got back from the rec center where I logged 30 minutes on the elliptical. :sweat_smile:
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Wow I've been busy the past few days. Getting into the routine of going to physio 3 days a week again and adding in active sessions. Today was my first real 'workout' since November and I killed it! My neck pain and headaches melted away when I started to run on the treadmill for warmup, and during core exercises I had to tell the trainer to make them more challenging, the exercises were too easy! My trainer was training me and another woman at the same time, and at the end of the session she turned to me and said "I want to be like you". I told her " Show up and do what they tell you to do. Complain through it, but just do it". Once again it was really nice to have inspired someone, and that motivates me to do even better.

Another motivation I'm engaged in right now is the FitBit weekly challenge. One of my friends set up a challenge and invited a group of people to participate. Throughout the day as people sync to the app, it shows whos leading in steps and who has overtaken someone else. It's so much fun. I am so competitive so it really has me getting up and moving in the evenings when lately I've been sitting on the couch after dinner and not moving until bed time. If I manage to stay in the top 2 all week, come Friday I plan to pull ahead and come out on top.

• bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note. You all inspire me so much. To those of you struggling with health issues I hope you all can find a solution and that you feel better soon. Especially to Robin, I haven't read your blog yet but as I work in Mental Health I have a feeling for what you are going thru. I know you can do it! To those of you struggling with calories, just know that we all do sometimes, take it one day at a time and if you have a bad day (or even week) just know that tomorrow is a new day and you can start again.

AFM - I'm finally over the bronchitis, so I'm trying to up my exercise again. I'm 66 years old and still working part time, so usually I just walk and ride my bike. Maybe some day I'll get back to a gym, but not for awhile yet.

I don't post often but read this everyday! You're a lot of what keeps me on track!! Thanks everyone.
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Opps in my post above my youngest is too young to formally diagnose. They won't diagnose ADHD now until 6 and she's 5, we could push it and probably get her diagnosed by doing a ton of neuropsych testing but I'm not worried we know how to handle it and right now we can work with it. As she gets older and more sitting in school is required we'll consider it if needed.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Another day of reading to stay up to date and not much time for personals. It was another busy day but at least I made time for myself when I had my nails done before a meeting tonight.

Wish- Everyone who is experiencing illness either physical or mental right now finds the strength to recover and knows that we are all praying for a quick recovery.
    -
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

@tanya--that's awesome that you inspired your workout partner!

@bap and niki--glad you are both feeling better.

@MKknits‌ --I agree with melifornia that you should do what you can and work on small changes. There are plenty of folks on here who lost a lot of weight just focusing on food and there's a saying that reaching/maintaining a healthy weight is 80% food/20% exercise. I wish I could learn that lesson, but I tend to focus more on exercise and am constantly trying to outrun my fork. LOL

Welcome pamela, jamie, and any other newlings!

@slimbluehen‌ --is it boredom that makes you want to eat while stuck at your desk?

@kelley--we also have warmer weather on the way, but for Chicago in Jan. that means 35 not 60.

@mel--hope you get the financial situation worked out and meet all of your deadlines.

@holly--stay positive!!

@tracy--congrats on the loss and hope the work changes all turn out for the best.

@L2T--my dog is also a great motivator except when it's really cold he barely lasts 5 minutes so not a very good workout for me. :smile:

@barbara--thanks for the defrosting tip!

AFM--Ugh! Today was the worst day ever food-wise for me. A friend's birthday, so she bought snacks and I just kept picking and picking at them all day long. Tons of carbs and sugar which left me feeling not so great by the time I left school. At least it forced me to the gym to burn off some of the glucose.

School is still crazy. I seriously feel overwhelmed with how much I have to do. Realized today that I have to get my juniors their SL annotations by Friday if they want them to study for finals next week, and I haven't even started them. I will be working diligently on those all day tomorrow.

Wed Wish:
    Same as most others--that everyone stays strong and those who are struggling (physically, mentally, etc) are feeling better soon.

2015 mantra = "Just 15 minutes"

January Challenge:
    Under calorie goal: 13/14 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    All-in: run 2 days/week: week 1 = 2/2, week 2 = 2/2, week 3 = x/2, week 3 = x/2
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47)

Grading Goals:
    1. 14/66 AP essays
    2. Tone test corrections
    3. 25/66 AP journals
    4. x/60 SL annotations

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Tues--rest day (meeting)
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE BUT WENT TO THE GYM
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • bluetopazsnake
    Options
    Hello everyone! I hope to get to know you and be apart of the hard work and accomplishments that I know we can make this year in a move forward to a better lifestyle to make ourselves the best that we can be.

I have been on and off MFP for a while. And I have come to realize life isn't going to slow down for me to just lose weight and when I did have a little more spare time... my night job just made me too exhausted and I had too many excuses.

I am 25 years old, I stand about 5'2" and I weighed in at 223.4 lbs. at the beginning of this year. It is the heaviest I have ever been, and I have been heavy most of my life. I am very sick of it. I need to get down to around 130 to 120 lbs. and then I will figure out where I need to go from there. I think this will take me a while and I am bound to make a lot of mistakes the first few months. As much as I would love to make this my only priority... I am currently in college and a new 15 credit semester is about to start and kick my *kitten*. Not to mention I will be studying 300 hours for an exam that I may not pass, but I will try until I do.

So.. I will have other priorities.. and a lot of stress. But my health is very important to me as well. I am hoping by rambling to you guys and getting to know you guys.. that I will be able to keep on track, even if it is a slow one. Because I plan to lose this weight... no matter how long it takes me!

Thank you so much for listening!
  • womblesgirl
    womblesgirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Lauriek70 sorry I spied your comment about your child and you maybe being slightly worried of her/him starting school as he/she will have to sit for long periods. Well it's just That it could be worth trying to tie a piece of elastic around 2 of his/her chair legs that way they can put their feet behind the elastic and kind of kick stretch it out thus giving them something to do.

Sorry off subject of weightloss just thought might be a bit of useful or useless information :)
  • womblesgirl
    womblesgirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sorry can't even find that post now, hopefully I have the right person
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to all, and thank you for posting. I do treat myself at lunch most days by catching up with all of you.
    Thursday Truth - Struggling these days. Depression wants to grab me. I am fighting with all I can muster. This is the first winter I am without Zoloft in over 20 years. Winter is 1/2 over and I do not want to go back on at this point as it takes a few weeks to kick in. So I am on another anti-depressant and that will have to do. I am still going to the gym about 6 days a week. I am taking vitamin D and doing some tanning. When it is sunny I get outside for at least 15 minutes. But it has been so very cold here in Wisconsin. Sun is hard to come by.

Food is not the best but is not out of control. I have cleaned out the pantry and freezer so there really isn't anything to tempt me. Going out for lunch today with a friend.

Not sure if I posted this but last week hubby had an endoscopy and they found a mass. Turns out to be nothing alarming and they want to leave it alone. I am so relieved.

Work is still going crazy. I am trying not to regret the days off over Christmas. I own a small custom drapery/interior design business in a small town. It is just my sister and I. We do all the sewing ourselves. I do all the selling and installing. Yesterday I was at the store by myself for the day and got a ton of paperwork done. There is still a large pile on my desk but I can see patches of desk top and I have a place to lay my clipboard. I will tackle the EOY paperwork this weekend.

My house is a mess and I really have no ambition to do anything about it. That is all the energy I have. I live with my husband and two grown sons. They almost keep up after themselves but really do nothing toward the overall cleaning unless I get after them about it. They have learned if they want clean clothes they have to do laundry.

I am out of time for now.
    Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Lori- Glad to hear that your husband's mass was nothing to worry about! I'm looking out my window this morning and it looks grey. I hope the sun peeks out later for your sake and for everyone else who suffers with SAD.

bluetopazsnake- Welcome! You're right that life will always be busy and you will always be able to make excuses. Glad to hear you're getting a start on getting healthier. Because life can be so crazy, the easiest thing to do is start small and make one change at a time. I think it was Lives2Travel who said that when she started she made a list with three categories: Things I Will Do, Things I Won't Do, and Things I Will Do Later (I'm kind of paraphrasing.)...Things I Won't Do are things that you know won't fit your life and that you won't be able to sustain long term, so you shouldn't even get hung up on those things. Things I Will Do Later are things that look like something that could work for you, but are too large to tackle right up front. These are long term goals, like running a half marathon. Things I Will Do are things that totally fit into your life and are completely doable. Start with one doable thing, like track your food or drink all your water each day. You've got this!

SkinnyJeanz- I ha'd at the picture of you outrunning your fork. :D I'm sure tonight I will have some sort of dream involving a 6-ft dining utensil chasing me through the streets.
    Seriously, I outrun my fork in real life, too. Run to eat, right? :p

Day Late on my Wed Wish- All you busy people, keep your calm and I hope you're able to meet all your deadlines.

Thursday Truth- I'm not going to weigh in for the weigh-out at the Y. I know I gained weight, so it's not worth it to me.

Busy day ahead! It's my day off from work, so I'm going to get my groceries, serve lunch at the kids' school, hem my son's karate uniform pants in time for tonight's karate class, wash 8 loads of laundry, go weigh in at the shoe store tonight....and I'm sure there's something I'm forgetting!

January All-in: 8/14
    Mantra: You Know Better!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday-
    @MKknits- It is always okay to focus on what you want to focus on. You are never cheating yourself because you are still doing things to make positive changes in your life.
    @ Newbies- Welcome to the group
    @Melifornia- Sorry about the stress you are going through. Stress really takes a toll on a person.
    @Tanya- Awesome job with your workout and the inspiration to the other person.
    @bluetopazsnake- I understand college and fitness. I am 41 work a full time job and take 7 -8 credits in classes at night. Some classes kick my butt (math) others are a breeze (mostly my business classes). Just stay positive and find any little thing to keep you moving. When I take campus classes which not often, I park far away from the door to get a little walk in. Good luck with your classes.
    @Cblue- does the gym offer tanning? Not thinking you want to tan but a few minutes in just the room with the lamps on the bed open feels like a bright sunny day. Have a great lunch date with your friend. I taught my son to do is own laundry at a young age, funny thing is as an 18 yr old he would rather buy a new outfit than wash he literally has 30-60 worth of clothing.

AFM- Thursday confession....I did some math last night and was really proud that I got the steps down but then got discourage when I started getting answers wrong then it spiraled to getting every answer wrong. My truth is I realized I am my own worst enemy and the thought process in my head needs to change. Not, sure how to change that process but if I don't I will truly never love myself unconditionally or be fully happy in life. MN is suppose to be above 30 for the rest of the week Riley will be happy to run and sniff in the snow. He live to hunt things out and caught his first rabbit. It was gross and I was worried until I talked to the vet. My son is going to the doctor today to find out why he can't eat. He takes like 4 bites of food and is so icky feeling he can't eat anymore or he is never hungry, he has been like this for a little while and was blowing me off about going. I sat him down talked about his grandma's stomach cancer more and why I was so scared for him. It made him realize he should be checked out. Hope all goes well and they can find out what is wrong with him. Woot Woot for me I lost 4 lbs first time since Oct 2014 I have seen the scale go down.
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ah, feeling better! Had a couple of rocky days this week, but started to come out of it yesterday and am almost back to "normal" now. I don't think it's a coincidence that the sun also made an appearance yesterday and we're expecting sun and a warm up to the 50s for the next few days. :sunglasses:

So I mentioned in a previoius post (and you can see in my weekly goals) that I have a ton of writing assignments on deck right now. This morning one of the editors I work with emailed asking if I could take on 11 assignments, due mid-February! Ack! As tempted as I was to accept guaranteed work - freelancers/self-employed know what I'm talking about - I stepped back, thought it through, and offered to take 4-5 assignments instead. That's still bordering on overload, but after 2 very slow months, I need to get the money flowing again. She already replied positively, so whew!

I'm working on one of the newspaper articles this morning, interviewing a source in a few, then subbing at the high school this afternoon. Gonna be a busy one!

MFP Weekly Goals: January 11-17

Diet Goals

* At/Under calorie limit 5/7 days - 2/7
    * No fast food 2/7 days - 1/7
    * Plan meal for Sissy Night with healthy options for me -

Excercise Goals

* Gym for at least 30 minutes of cardio at least 3/7 days - 2/7
    * Short yoga at home as part of Miracle Morning - 5/7

Health Goals

* Take meds daily - 3/7
    * Refill pill box when empty - DONE

Personal Goals

* Follow Miracle Morning routine 7/7 days - 5/7
    * In bed, lights out by 10:30pm 5/7 days - x/7
    * Tweak night time routine -
    * Create concrete task(s) to accomplish after morning routine/before sitting down to work -

Cleaning Goals

* Finish decluttering kitchen -

Work Goals

* Edit mag profile #1 and file -
    * Write mag profile #2 and send out for review -
    * Write mag profile #3 and send out for review -
    * Write mag feature and file -
    * Set up interviews for mag profile #4 -
    * Invoice magazines
    * Write newspaper weekend feature #1 - DONE
    * Write newspaper weekend feature #2 - DONE
    * Invoice newspaper for weekend coverage - DONE
    * Set up interview for newspaper profile
    * Write newspaper precede #1 - DONE
    * Write newspaper precede #2 -
    * Invoice newspaper for work this week -
    * Figure out shopping cart issue for e-commerce site
    * Sub at high school on Thursday afternoon -
    * Send 5 pitches on behalf of PR client - DONE
    * Follow up on pitches from last week - DONE

January All-In Goals

* Login to MFP daily - 15/31
    * At/Under calorie limit 20/31 - 2/31
    * Workout (besides yoga) 12/31 - 7/31

2015 Mantra: Live Intentionally
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy World Humanitarian Day
    The United Nations’ (UN) World Humanitarian Day is held on August 19 each year. The day honors all humanitarians who have worked in the promotion of the humanitarian cause, and those who have lost their lives in the cause of duty.
    The day aims to increase public awareness about humanitarian assistance activities worldwide and the importance of international cooperation.
    What Do People Do?
    World Humanitarian Day is a day dedicated to humanitarians worldwide, as well as to increase public understanding of humanitarian assistance activities. The day aims to honor humanitarian workers who have lost their lives or injured themselves in the course of their work, and to acknowledge the ongoing work of humanitarian staff around the world.
    Many communities and organizations try to increase the importance of humanitarians by distributing publicity and information material. Additionally, some try to speak to the press to help spread these key messages of World Humanitarian Day, while other groups organize public events worldwide that feature humanitarian work.
    For the year 2010 and beyond, it is anticipated that World Humanitarian Day will focus on particular humanitarian themes to help increase public awareness.
    Public Life
    World Humanitarian Day is a global observance and not a public holiday.

No matter what you're going through, there's a light at the end of the tunnel and it may seem hard to get to it but you can do it and just keep working towards it and you'll find the positive side of things.
    Demi Lovato

Tom

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Melifornia~The bright orange ball in the sky is back here too. Its actually gorgeous here this morning, bright blue sky without a trace of clouds--my kind of day! :smiley:

@Holly~I’m sorry for your son’s stomach issues, hope the doctor is able to diagnose quickly and there is an easy remedy. Don’t be too hard on yourself regarding the math problems, math is hard. You’ll get it through repetition. Are you able to pinpoint your thought process or errors? Sorry, I know I've been giving you a lot of advice on math--I love math so much and hate to see people struggle through it. :frowning:

@MKnits~I think it’s a great idea to just focus on one thing at a time, it’s important to change one thing and establish a new habit before changing other things--it can be overwhelming if you do too much too soon. Remember that several people here have lost a lot of weight without exercise, so it is possible. Just add it when you are ready. I exercise a lot now, only because my body craves it and the adrenaline that comes from it.

AFM~My next cruise isn’t until August but we’ve started planning excursions, so far booked one kayaking excursion in Skagway, AK and looking at another in Ketchikan, AK—so I have 28 weeks to get my upper body “kayak” strong. :wink: My hairdryer picked this morning to overheat and crap out, its old so was just a matter of time. I only dry my hair half-way anyway, actually determining whether or not I want to replace it since my curls do better drying on their own—I’m just glad it was 35 out this morning instead of 25! :lol: Session with trainer tonight.
  • klp555
    klp555 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi all,

I haven't been able to read posts yet... the kids are keeping me busy the last two days. I just wanted to come and post that I've lost 8 pounds since starting about a week ago. I hope to catch up soon, but the kids are even more demanding lately than usual. NEED A VACATION!

I hope everyone is doing well!
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I am feeling right next door to human today so a definite improvement. I am thinking I will take the dogs out for a short walk after this. Otherwise not much to report for the week. I havent felt good so have just been taking it easy. The numbers on my fitbit have been so sad :( The one positive is I have faithfully recorded everyhting I have ate so far this month. Every bad horrible truth. I have had more days over then under but I am being completely honest and trying to see if I can find any trends that cause me to overeat. I think part of it has been being sick. I am just sitting around bored and feeling sorry for myself and that is always been a trigger for me for overeating. I continue to work on these issues. The first step is identifying the behavior I guess.
    Well the computer is giving me grief so going to go for now. Have a great day everyone. :)
  • bluetopazsnake
    Options
    @hansea47‌ - Thank you for your support and inspiring words. I think you are right. I will have to start with what I can do. I think working out will be the hardest for me because I will only have three days that I can use the school gym. The other two days I go to school are just jam packed. So, the three should be good enough for now. I will slowly introduce going outside... I dislike the cold. I hope you have a wonderful day off! And I feel you about forgetting things. I hope it isn't too important! Thank you again!

@mnwalkingqueen‌ - Thank you! Omg.. you inspire me. I usually work part time and do school full time and that is a handful. This semester I only sort of got a taste of what it would like to have kids with schooling and work. My mom broke her ankle in Sept. in the middle of my first semester back after two years (I moved to another state so we could help take care of my grandma, her mother. I put off schooling until I got instate status). Taking care of the two of them, doing all the shopping cleaning, and other things... I barely made it through the semester. And I feel you with the math. If you have questions I can try to help, but remember I haven't had school for a good two years. Andi forget a lot. Though.. there is this one site.. Khan Academy, if you google it you will find it. They have these videos that break things down very nicely in many subjects. And they give you practice problems to help you learn to do math. I am a Math Major.. but that doesn't make me good at math. I just love it. lol And congratulation about the scale going down! Also... I hope everything is alright with your son. I hope it isn't anything major like cancer. I will be sending good thoughts your way. Thank you so much for your support!

Thursday Truth: I know I start to lose weight when I walk, but I absolutely hate the cold and this east coast cold is so so awful. I am from Colorado and moved to Pennsylvania, and I found out that I really dislike humidity, which makes cold colder, and hot... thicker. I dislike sweating when I am sitting there. Where in Colorado, I wouldn't sweat if it was well and earned. Not to mention I absolutely HATE bugs, and they are so many more and bigger here! Ewie!

My confession is I haven't been studying the last few days for my P-exam (A p-exam is a 30 multiple question 3 hour limit exam on mathematical probability and statistics. And it is for anyone who is pursuing the field of Actuarial Science.) It is extremely difficult and even with a program like ADAPT that generates many practice problems,from the company Coaching Actuaries, only about a 79% of their customers will pass the exam. They do raise the odds, but I am still fearful that I won't pass my first time. And it cost around $225 per a test. I just got stuck on a certain concept and I don't really understand what it is for. So I lost motivation and now I am behind on my study schedule, which I already fear isn't giving me enough individual practice time for each section. I take the exam in March, but school starts Tuesday and I will have even less time. So I just need to get my *kitten* in gear and keep going. Ask my adviser when school starts to explain what I don't understand.