Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    RobinE- I am following your lead this weekend with getting some much needed rest. I slept well last night and woke up late this morning plus took an afternoon nap. Tonight, I am feeling more rested but still have a stuffy nose. My choice of med is Advil for colds and sinuses- that way I can hit both options at one time. I love the fact that you can finally get the sleep that you have been missing for so long now. :drinker:

KarenL-So happy that you came through the surgery fine and that the new value is working great for you. Keep walking and you will be back to exercising before you know it.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Karen- I love the comment that your co-worker said to the new member of the staff. It is amazing how we all need to make that mental adjustment to see ourselves as athletes and not the way we use to be. Speaking of races, I have officially signed up for the indoor triathlon in March so that is on. I also have co-workers who are just getting into doing races so it will be interesting to see how they progress. Hope you are feeling better as well and that you be beat your cold.

Welcome to all the new people, you have found a great group of people on this thread. Hope you come back often and share your challenges and successes with us. We all learn from each other and many of us have been there and can offer insight on how we overcame a particular challenge.

I am feeling better today but still dealing with a stuffy nose and some head congestion but at least the exhaustion level has decreased. I will be taking it easy again tomorrow and getting some more rest. I am planning on going to the gym tomorrow just to walk for a little while just for some exercise but don't want to push it. It is still to cold to hit the pool tomorrow so indoors it is. I will be thrilled when the cold is gone.

Exercise plan
    Sunday- gym walk DONE
    Monday- Trainer- core and strength (Done)
    Tuesday- Rest
    Wednesday-Trainer- Cardio and weight plus rock climbing DONE
    Thursday- REST DONE- very sore tonight
    Friday- Rock Climbing NOT DONE- Exhausted
    Saturday- gym or rest (no pool) REST DONE still sick
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @laurie--glad you got some rest. Apparently that doppelganger effect is at work again b/c I'm also not feeling well today. I was fine this morning and then this afternoon major headache and a bit of nausea. I can't yet tell if it's a migraine or the start of something worse like the flu. Hoping we are both feeling better tomorrow.

@karenleona--so wonderful that you are back with a brand new valve!! :flowerforyou:

@tammy--sounds like a great day!

@hansea--great GD goal--we will be watching to make sure you come back every day! :tongue:

AFM--As I mentioned to laurie above, I'm not feeling great. :sick: I spent most of the afternoon lying on the couch watching Walking Dead reruns. I forced myself to eat some dinner that my DH had cooked. It didn't make me feel any better, but no worse either. I'm a bit under protein, but I will eat a greek yogurt to push it over.

Groundhog Day Challenge:
    8/28 days at 100g or more of protein

Grading goals:
    1. more thesis statements
    2. x/1 AP essay
    3. rec letter
    4. re-read Great Gatsby

Exercise goals:
    Mon--rest day CORE WORK INSTEAD
    Tues--walk gunner DONE + gym (circuit training + HIIT) DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner NOT DONE + (circuit training + HIIT) DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym (cardio)
    Sun--walk gunner + (circuit training + HIIT)
  • Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just checking in on my new found friends. It will take a while to get to know you all. I've had a busy weekend. My son moved back home last month. We get to have my two grandkids every other week. They are lots of fun, but I get really tired. It's also hard watching them eat all the time. I do think it makes me tougher on myself. See you all tomorrow. :flowerforyou:
  • NaomiGibbins
    NaomiGibbins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sunday share...we are spending lots of time watching the olympics. My DH refused to go to the snow for years, then when I made him go he really loved it and we ended up going again the next year. Our 3 boys all loved it too, but I couldn't manage it because of my health. I was seriously cross with him for delaying our holiday so long! Next time we go will be different. I will be fit and healthy enough to ski.

Skinny, I actually laughed out loud at your comments about the terrible grammar of the commentators. We encourage our kids to pick up on that kind of thing and often note the same problem on the radio and tv news. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Laurie, I hope all that rest helps you feel better.

P1x I love the boxing too. I knocked my DH out one time, the kids loved that. I tend to play with the kids more than excercising for the sake of excercise though.

Jtc sounds like a lovely day. Glad you enjoyed the food and walk.

KarenL heart surgery is no joke, I'm glad you are feeling better. Keep up the great work.

Have a great week everyone.

GD Challenge: 5/27 days with fruit. Getting better, more consistent.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. Sorry I didn't make it by yesterday - went to the gym early, then my mom came over to help me with something and then we hit one of the malls - which was crazy busy.

My Saturday Success was the surprise at the cash register when we went to pay for a dress, it was a size smaller than we thought - had to stop myself from doing the dance of joy! :laugh: I tried it on again when I got home, as somehow I didn't believe it. :blushing: The stores still don't have summer stuff out so came away with some capris, a dress, a shirt, and I splurged on some really cute peep toe slingbacks to go with the dress (I NEVER pay that much for shoes). I still need a few more summer things along with a swimsuit - hopefully the stores will have that stuff out in a week or two, time is closing in.

@Karen and Laurie~I hope you both are getting the rest you need and are feeling better.

@Becky~Welcome! Wow, you sure are busy. Great plan to journal your meals early in the day or the night before - helps you stay on track. I have a desk job too, I get a lot of walking in at work by purposely using restrooms in another building and it help that my mailbox is in another building - my advice is to try and get up from your desk every hour and take a 5-minute walk, it keeps you active and will help clear your head on a long day.

@Fernetta~Welcome! The best advice I can give is for you to definitely track what your eating along with monitoring your carbs and the time of day you're eating them. MFP is really good about being able to modify your macros and track your intake of sugars, carbs, etc. to help you monitor them closely.

Welcome to hungerheart and tigredia

@Robin~Thanks for the reminders to every one on how the forums work. How are you feeling lately?

@Tom~Awesome job with your daily miles!

@KarenL~Welcome back! :flowerforyou: Open heart surgery? How scary, it sounds like you are recovering really well and now able to exercise a little again. Wonderful!!! You'll be back in that gym in no time.

@Tammy~Welcome home to hubby!

@Naomi~I'm spending a lot of time watching the Olympics too. One of the things I've promised myself when I reach my goal weight is to hit the slopes again - I haven't been on skis in years and I want so much to ski again. I think that is great motivation for you.

Sunday Share~I'm Kelley, 45, an accountant in the healthcare industry living with my Maine Coon, Zoe, in a suburb of Dallas. A little background on me - one day I woke up decided enough was enough and joined Weight Watchers (where I made some amazing life-long friends). WW was a great starting point for me, it helped me to lose 75# relatively quickly - then it stalled. They changed their program and I just didn't get the results. Then a friend told me about MFP, so I decided to give it a shot - shortly after joining MFP I found this amazing thread - I find great support here, try to offer advice when I can and have formed some great friendships along the way. I like that I can check in here daily, I couldn't do this without them. :smooched: About the same time I joined MFP I also joined a gym and after recovering from a knee injury I found my trainer who I work out with 2-3 times a week. He rehabbed me back to running and is a great motivator for me. I've lost another 40+ pounds since starting with him but still have a way to go, I'm hopeful I'll reach that goal by end of the year.

Okay, I better get this day started. I have a session with my trainer this afternoon so need to get to the grocery store this morning. Have a wonderful day and I'll try to stop back later.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm back! Two days in a row...GD Challenge at 100% so far. :bigsmile:

@Tigredia- Welcome to the thread! How great that you get to spend so much time with your grandkids. My husband and I live about an hour away from each of our parents (one set to the north, one set to the south), and so it's always a treat for my kids to see their grandparents. Sometimes they get to spend an overnight at one set of grandparents or the other, and when they were toddlers, my mom would say she didn't remember my sisters and I being so exhausting! :laugh:

@KarenL- Anything emergency is frightening, but especially your heart! Sounds like you're on the road to recovery and better off with your new valve. Hope your healthy eating and healing go well! :flowerforyou:

@jtconst- Yummm! Mongolian grill! We haven't been to one in years, but I love picking out your own stuff, too.

Last night, I went out to dinner and shopping with a good friend that I've known since we were in junior high, but I hadn't seen her since October, and not much at all for the last two years because she had moved several states away for her job. She's back now, and I'm looking forward to seeing her more often. I had a shrimp thai vegetable salad, something I've never tried before, and it was delicious! And I managed to stay under my calories for the day! Also, my friend paid me the compliment that I always eat "weird and new" things when we go out to eat. She's a pretty picky eater (not a fan of veggies like I am).
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Kah, you were posting while I was working on mine so I missed it. I love stories of people being surprised by the size of the new clothes they try on! Some day I will be surprised, too. I love that you had to try it on AGAIN when you got home. :smile:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Good morning everyone! :flowerforyou:

@kelley--love that smaller dress size NSV! That's awesome! :drinker: I'm not going on vacation until end of June, but I've already started looking at swimsuits online. I figure it's good motivation, plus if I see something I like, I may order it. I've never bought a swimsuit online, so I would want plenty of time to see if it fits well, make exchanges, etc.

@naomi--my husband also hates the snow and cold. He's forever talking about relocating to a warmer climate, but I have no desire to move south. I used to go skiing in college--a group trip every year with friends, but that was a long time ago. I wouldn't mind going again, but it's a pretty expensive hobby what with ski rental, lift tickets, etc. One day I would really like to try snow-boarding as well. I'm so old it was in its infancy when I was in college. We would see a few people doing it, but you couldn't rent a snowboard back then.

@tigredia--have fun with the grandkids!

@hansea--yay for 2 days in a row! I told you, I'm watching you! :tongue:

Sunday Share:
    For the new folks, I am Karen--HS English Literature teacher in the suburbs of Chicago. I'm married and we have one fur-kid, my 8 yo boxer/shepherd mix, gunner. I can't remember a time when I was ever thin. Even as a kid I was "chubby" though pretty active. I participated in sports all through elementary school, including competitive gymnastics. In HS I stopped playing sports, but while in college I lost some weight freshman year (I was the paradox to the "freshman 15" :laugh: ). My junior year at college I took a weight-training class for one of my PE credits and loved it. I began working out regularly at the school fitness center and got down to my lowest adult weight of about 175 lbs.

After college my weight yo-yo'd between 180-220 for years. I tried to keep it under 200, and was successful for the most part. However, over about 6 years (from age 35-41) I gained about 60 lbs. One day I woke up and was pushing 250 lbs. I though I ate relatively healthy foods, so I joined the gym and went religiously with little results. :grumble: After about 6 months of that, I finally decided I needed to start calorie counting. I had been really resistant to this idea--it seemed like such a hassle, and I had read some articles that discouraged it claiming it put too much focus on food thus causing eating disorders. However, after a couple of weeks of tracking in a notebook, a co-worker told me about MFP and I joined in March 2011.

I joined robin's previous thread in July of 2011 and am so glad I did. This group has really helped me stick with it even when I feel "stuck"--so much support and motivation! Plus, I've made some really great friends here.

Groundhog Day Challenge:

Grading goals:
    1. more thesis statements
    2. x/1 AP essay
    3. rec letter
    4. re-read Great Gatsby

Exercise goals:
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym (cardio)
    Sun--walk gunner + (circuit training + HIIT)
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning.

Karenleona- Glad for your new valve and not getting winded! Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Jtconst- That sounds like a great walk.

Kelley- Since you are my fitbit friend you are keeping me honest and accountable for my greater than 2 miles a day, thank you.

Laurie- Is your indoor triathlon before or after you come to Vegas? I hope it is before so I can hear how it went. Hope you get over that cold soon.

Karen- I can just not even think about eating the Girl Scout cookies because of my T2 diabetes. I just do not eat cookies any more unless they are sugar free and I have been eating hardly any of those. I use trying to go more Paleo as part of my reason not eat them. I think between my poor ability to judge potion size and my memory (which is getting worse not better) my food log is not as accurate as it should be hence my being in maintenance for the past year or year and a half. I am going to try and weight more of my food and log more frequently so I do not forget stuff. Great job on the protein and keeping the calories down!

Groundhog Day Challenge- 2.05 miles, 8 days in a row over 2 miles!

“The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time.” ~Abraham Lincoln

Tom
  • Sunday Share: I'm going for my second massage today. My BF was thoughtful and bought me a 3 month membership to a local massage salon. I was so nervous my first time, but I've had a pinched spot in my shoulder for nearly four years, and I had done everything I knew to do to address it on my own. Bring on the professionals!

My first visit was amazing. It was definitely therapeutic, and not an "all over sense of ahhhhhhhh". My therapist did deep tissue massage, and my expectations were definitely different than the experience. I was very much involved in the process, pointing out trigger points and letting him know when the tension dissipated. Because of the amount of tension I hold, he was only able to work on that one shoulder in an hour.

I think today, though, I'll be going for an all-over make-me-feel-relaxed massage. If you've never had one, I highly recommend it. I was so nervous about getting undressed and the feeling of being so vulnerable to a stranger... but I got over that within the first minute. :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, lovies!
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    alice- i love the idea of a massage and have had one or two but don't really like strangers touching me so i am sure i do not get the best effect!! hope you really enjoy yours

went for a short walk to the local hospital for my daily bloodwork and injection and saw some snowflakes!!! unusual for here (southern British Columbia). Hopefully nothing more will happen!
  • Lauriek70
    Options
    Tom- You will get your wish, my indoor triathlon is March 9 so it is before the trip to Vegas.

Karen- I hope you are feeling better. I went to the minute clinic today and found out I have the viral infection that is going around. It does impact your sinus, makes you tired and last for several days. At least I have confirmation that it does involves my sinus but the good news in that the fluids are draining and no sign of infection in the ears or throat. I most likely got it from the kids at school (go figure) and based on the timeline, I should be over the worst of it at this point. I was told the 4th day was the worst. Now it is cough drops, Mucinex and a nettie pot (to keep the sinuses clear).

KarenL- Yeah for getting in more exercise today. We are also getting snow here today. It just started and is already laying on the ground. Roads are clear so far.

Alice- I also like a good massage. I find them very relaxing and informative.

Kelley- I love the dress story and wearing smaller clothes than I normally do. AWESOME:love::bigsmile:

As I was telling Karen, I have a viral infection that is impacting my sinuses. I am feeling better but still not 100%. The bad news is no antibiotics since viruses don't respond to them. The good news is no ear infection or strep throat and I should be over the worst of it. Directions get plenty of rest and take care of myself, basically that's all I have been doing this weekend. I just want to feel 100% again and not be so tired.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @laurie--yes, I'm feeling much better today. Pretty confident it was a migraine. I'm glad it's not the flu, but that's the 3rd migraine I can recall having since Thanksgiving which is a concern. I'm glad you got to the clinic and that it's nothing more serious.

@karenleona--it's nice that your hospital is within walking distance. We had more snow yesterday--just a couple of inches, but it was a really gorgeous, sparkly type that we haven;t seen all winter. Made it a lot easier to take b/c it is so pretty.

@alice--I'm like karenleona, I have a weird thing about strangers touching me. My sister works at a nail salon, so she does my pedicures, but the couple of times I've had to go to strangers, it was really uncomfortable for me. I don't think I will ever get a massage even though the idea is appealing. :ohwell:

@tom--glad you have several reasons not to touch those cookies. :wink: I also used my attempt at upping protein to dissuade my DH from making this delicious shrimp and broccoli pasta dish he makes occasionally. He asked if I wanted it, and though it's delicious--too many carbs. Especially this week, b/c I will have very little time to go to the gym.

AFM--As I was telling laurie, I'm pretty sure it was a migraine that caused me to not feel well yesterday. I started getting them when I was about 34 and they came pretty regularly for about a year and a half--maybe once a month or every 6 weeks. They got worse and worse--so much so, that the last couple were completely debilitating. All I could do was lie in the dark due to pain, and I also got severe nausea and vomitting. Then they suddently went away. My doctor said they were probably due to changing hormone levels, and we were glad they went away on their own. Until just recently I was maybe getting one or two migraines a year, and never with any severe intensity or nausea. However, I've had 3 in the past few months, and yesterday's was definitely worse that the other two. I'm going to start keeping track of them so I can discuss with my doctor if they don't go away. :grumble:

I had to get all bundled up to take gunner for a walk, so I decided to shovel as well. It took me about an hour to clear our driveway and sidewalks, but it was a good workout and allowed me to skip the gym today. I just finished some work at starbucks and need to stop at the grocery store for a couple of things, then home for dinner.

Very excited that Walking Dead returns tonight!!! :bigsmile:

Groundhog Day Challenge:

Grading goals:
    1. more thesis statements DONE
    2. x/1 AP essay
    3. rec letter
    4. re-read Great Gatsby DID SOME

Exercise goals:
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym (cardio) NOT DONE (migraine)
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + (circuit training + HIIT) NOT DONE (shoveled instead)
  • Lauriek70
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Don't get lost just follow the link in blue. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

FOR NEWBIES ....................................PLEASE NOTE................................................................

- soon, we will soon come to the end of this current thread - every 20 pages, - we start a new Thread - you will see at the bottom in the last post on page 20 a sentence like this :

(<Continued at this topic >) and the words “this topic” will be in blue.

Click on that phrase and it will take you to the first post on our new page One.
  • Lauriek70
    Options
    Newbies, Welcome to our Thread! You can join us just by posting to this thread.....

GOALS and IDEAS for daily posts (Not mandatory)

Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

Wednesday - Wishes (what do you wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)

Thursday - Truth (got anything you need to fess up to or get off your chest?)

Friday - Fitness (what are you doing to get fit? How are you preparing for weekend eating?

Saturday - Success (what have you accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories)

Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself....update your personal life)

:drinker: :bigsmile: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

February challenge: Groundhog day challenge- Based on the movie, pick one new habit and repeat it everyday for the month. It can be as easy as drinking x amount of water a day, eating a certain amount of protein etc.

Welcome to our thread and we hope you come back often to join us.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,185 Member
    Options
    Just keeping my place...........:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Watching the Beatles special---and singing along!!! Be well.

Lin
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. No real time to post much just wanted to wish you all a great day.:bigsmile:

Todays workout per HRM:

33 min
    1.49 miles
    3897 steps
    619 cals/claimed 400

Was a little shorter today because we actually got some snow and it was pretty slippery out there.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    ARGH!!! I just spent a quite deal of time reading through and writing some personals. I posted my reply and it is gone.

I don't feel like going back through and rewriting right now, Walking Dead comes on soon and I don't want to miss it. So I will give you a brief recap.

We are back home and had a great time. My friend took me snow shoeing for the first time. I liked it a lot. I had my Fitbit with me but forgot to charge it in the car during the way up so of course it didn't credit me for it. I would have loved to see how many calories I burned. It definitely was a workout. I did pretty well this weekend with my calories. I didn't get my protein in but that's ok. I will get back to it tomorrow. Friday I was 100/100 on the protein.

Saturday, before we left, I completed my very last Gilad workout for my program!!! I am so proud of myself that I completed my goal. I had some good days and some bad days along the way but most importantly I learned to move on and not give up. Tomorrow I begin the maintenance program. 1st week has a cardio emphasis., 2nd week has a strength training emphasis and I believe the 3rd week is a combination of the two.

Portion Sizes: I don't remember who posted about this. I had to relearn this when I first started. I highly recommend investing in a kitchen digital scale. This helped me so much along the way. I use it every day. I bought one from Amazon for less than $20. It is one of the best investments I have ever made.

Karen - I am so sorry to hear about your emergency surgery. I am glad you are home and back with us. Congrats on the successful walk. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Tom - I know I am a few hours early but I wanted to wish you a very Happy Birthday! Do you have any big plans for your special day?
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • rainandwood93
    rainandwood93 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Newbie here! 20 years old with 122 pounds to go, 20 of those already lost. I'm a university student (Double Major in International Relations and Media Studies) so a lot of my logging has to be estimated as I'm in the dining halls, but I've been doing well so far, with 4 pounds lost in the first two weeks of the semester. I weigh in on Tuesdays because I happen to meet with the campus dietician every other week those days.

As of now, I'm doing an average of 6 days of cardio a week, alternating my 5k training program with the elliptical trainer, and that's been hugely satisfying. Apart from fitness, I'm really enjoying my classes this semester, and the California weather (I moved here in August), and applying for summer jobs and internships, which is a little stressful.

Really excited to join this group and fine people going through separate but similar journeys. Sometimes 100 pounds can seem impossible to me.