Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    A big round of applause for Laurie o:) and Skinny o:) is long overdue!!! <3<3<3

Whoop! Whoop! @Skinnyjeanz and @Lauriek70 ... thanks for all your effort and support.

@RobinsEgg ... what a good idea about focusing on exercise in February.

I'm certain there would be people who would want to use a weight-lift challenge of some sort because they a) are already doing it or b) have been interested in trying it.

As a suggestion, it might be a good ALL-IN choice with everyone setting their own level of weight-training.

One thing that is important to note is that most weight-lifters eat higher calories, depending on their level of effort and many follow a plan similar to Eat More to Weigh Less principles. Perhaps some of those that do lift can give us some more insight? Also, most weight-trainers do their workouts at gyms that have all that specialized equipment, and not everyone has access to those resources.

Does anyone know if using those stretchy-bands with exercise is a form of weight-training since it increases the resistance for your muscles?

follow-through, Niki
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A standing ovation for Robin (Ellen), Laurie and Skinny (Karen) They truly are all an inspiration to all of us. It is your continued dedication that keeps us all going. A great big THANK YOU to all three of you.

o:)o:)o:)
  • MKknits
    MKknits Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    @bluetopazsnake‌ Oh I know that is not a good teacher - I'm a teacher now :) The WORST teachers I ever encountered were in college. As I went through my teacher training program I was constantly saying things to myself like "dear god why did I pay so much money to have some of the worst teachers ever!"
  • bluetopazsnake
    Options
    @MKknits‌ - Lol. Well at least now the world has you as a teacher! I have found good and bad teachers sprinkled around me. And some who just weren't my learning style. Those I don't blame, especially if they try multiple ways to help me. But yeah... paying money to be confused and take exams isn't fun!
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    @bluetopazsnake‌ - by all means, if that format works for you, steal away! I'm going to condense some of my items next week so it doesn't take a full screen every time I post. :lol:

Many thanks to Skinny & Laurie for keeping us going!

Love the idea of focusing on weight/strength training in February! I have a sticky note in the car reminding me to talk to the trainer at the gym about designing a good plan that takes my multiple back/neck injuries into account so I can get stronger without reinjuring myself.

So my day took an unexpected turn when my laptop died around 11AM. Sent BigBro a photo of the start up screen and he was able to diagnose the problem (hard drive failure). Fortunately he had a spare laptop I could borrow until the new hard drive arrives. Unfortunately I had to drive out to his new house to get it (20 miles away), and it's pretty slow (it's running Windows XP!). But it has a word processor and I can access email, so I can make it work for a few days.

Still managed to file a story and do an editing pass over a white paper for a friend, plus got all the laundry done, did some cleaning, ran a bunch of errands, and watched a couple of the Munchkins for a couple of hours.

Did not get to the gym, although I did go to the park with some of BigBro's kids while I was out there to pick up the laptop. It was gorgeous today! Sunny and upper 50's! They have a lovely park about a block from their new house, so we went over there for about 30 minutes. Felt good to not be cold for a change.

Thinking I may hit the gym tomorrow, although it's supposed to be just as nice so I might go for a walk instead. I'm on duty with the newspaper again, and need to catch up on other assignments plus do Sissy Night. Oh, and I need to bake cookies for our annual parish meeting on Sunday. Looking at a busy but (I pray) productive weekend!
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bring on the weight training! :) Although in my case it'll be body-weight stuff at home, no money for a gym & no space for home weights.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    First of all thanks for the kudos--this thread means a lot to me. If robin hadn't started it, and I hadn't stumbled upon it three and a half years ago, I'm sure I would have given up long ago. Because I know how much all of the people here meant to me back when I was new and floundering, I want to "pay it forward" so to speak, by supporting and motivating others whenever possible. :)

Next, I really like the weight/strength training focus for Feb. and niki's suggestion that we make it the All-in challenge so we can each set our own goals.

I went to the Dr. today about my shoulder/neck injury, and she prescribed a steroid pack to reduce the swelling and a muscle relaxer to loosen everything up. She also gave me a referral for PT, so I will have to call tomorrow to schedule my first appt. I had very good results when I had PT for me knee a few years ago, so I'm not opposed to this, I just don't know when I will find time to go. :(

I used my 2nd of 3 "over" days for the month. Not over by much and still under maintenance, so not terrible.

I will do some personals tomorrow, but right now I need to get some sleep. I have a busy day of grading and running planned for tomorrow. I MUST get those AP essays done this weekend. Goal for tomorrow is to complete my 2nd hour class which I believe is 23 essays.

2015 mantra = "Just 15 minutes"

January Challenge:
    Under calorie goal: 14/16 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    All-in: run 2 days/week: week 1 = 2/2, week 2 = 2/2, week 3 = x/2, week 3 = x/2
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47)

Grading Goals:
    1. 16/66 AP essays
    2. Tone test corrections
    3. 30/66 AP journals
    4. x/14 junior analysis activities
    5. 23/66 journal conferences

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Tues--rest day (meeting)
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE BUT WENT TO THE GYM
    Thurs-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This week hasn't been my best, but I kept going with my Miracle Morning routine, which included 15-20 minutes of yoga every day, and made a tiny dent in my work load. Slow and steady, right?

MFP Weekly Goals: January 11-17

Diet Goals

* At/Under calorie limit 5/7 days - 3/7
    * No fast food 2/7 days - 1/7
    * Plan meal for Sissy Night with healthy options for me - they requested lasagna, which I can't bear to go low-fat on, but I am going to load my plate with veggies FIRST, then lasagna

Excercise Goals

* Gym for at least 30 minutes of cardio at least 3/7 days - 2/7
    * Short yoga at home as part of Miracle Morning - 7/7

Health Goals

* Take meds daily - 6/7
    * Refill pill box when empty - DONE

Personal Goals

* Follow Miracle Morning routine 7/7 days - 7/7
    * In bed, lights out by 10:30pm 5/7 days - x/7 <-- clearly need to work on this!!!!
    * Tweak night time routine - NOT DONE
    * Create concrete task(s) to accomplish after morning routine/before sitting down to work - I have an informal list; need to incorporate into my post-morning routine routine next week

Cleaning Goals

* Finish decluttering kitchen -

Work Goals

* Edit mag profile #1 and file - DONE
    * Write mag profile #2 and send out for review -
    * Write mag profile #3 and send out for review -
    * Write mag feature and file -
    * Set up interviews for mag profile #4 -
    * Invoice magazines
    * Write newspaper weekend feature #1 - DONE
    * Write newspaper weekend feature #2 - DONE
    * Invoice newspaper for weekend coverage - DONE
    * Set up interview for newspaper profile
    * Write newspaper precede #1 - DONE
    * Write newspaper precede #2 -
    * Invoice newspaper for work this week -
    * Figure out shopping cart issue for e-commerce site
    * Sub at high school on Thursday afternoon - DONE
    * Send 5 pitches on behalf of PR client - DONE
    * Follow up on pitches from last week - DONE

January All-In Goals

* Login to MFP daily - 17/31
    * At/Under calorie limit 20/31 - 3/31
    * Workout (besides yoga) 12/31 - 7/31

2015 Mantra: Live Intentionally
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi Everyone, just a quicky fly-by. Started the day off meeting a friend and my trainer at the park for a 4-mile walk (yesterday my friend and I did 3-miles). Scale showed a one pound loss this week, I'll take it as long as the scale is moving in the right direction and I average a 2#/wk loss over the course of the month--need to average 2# a week to meet my July goal.

Now I'm off to get car detailed, look for a new hair dryer, then get the grocery shopping done. Its gorgeous here, so want to be outside!

Karen~Hope you get through your grading goals today...

Enjoy your Saturday!
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well, gained a pound this week, but I really don't think it's actual gain, kwim? I missed a couple of days' tracking, but I was paying attention to what I was eating, I just didn't have time to actually log it, so I really don't think I went over. Both kids are sick, I've almost certainly got it now too, and I've spent most of the week fighting with AT&T over the CRAP SERVICE I'm getting right now. Trying to get my speed upgraded & my bill thus reduced (how that works, I don't know, but hey) has been a frigging nightmare, and I gave up this week and sicced my husband on them in Full Metal Jacket Mode after we spend almost 24 hours with no service at all. This got our service restored, but still not yet upgraded, so that install has been rescheduled AGAIN. The CSR department called this morning to do the reschedule, so I got to recount for yet another entry level functionary how I spent almost a full 24 hours as the only conscious and capable adult in a house with 2 small children and a 74 year old with heart problems, and no way to summon help in an emergency. I felt a bit bad for the poor guy, he really bent over backwards tracking down what happened and coordinating with the dispatch center manager to make absolutely certain it doesn't happen again. He went into our account and comp'd us the equipment fee on our package, so that drops $7/month off our bill for the life of the contract, but at his position, that was all he really can do. It's Saturday, so everything is closed but the basic customer service line, so Monday I'm going to call the number he gave me for the direct Customer Loyalty line and bully my way up through a few levels of the chain of command until I get someone with a brain and the authority to do some more appropriate compensation for the total cluster this has been.

*whew* Okay, I feel better now.

Drinking lots and lots of ginger tea today. Beef fajitas for dinner, if my husband ever gets off his duff and goes to the store for the peppers. :wink:
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday.....
    @grandmakay‌: I'm rooting for you from NH. Keep making good decisions, even if they take a bit of extra effort. You are worth the trouble!
    @skinnyjeans - I can't believe how much I enjoy strength training...I'm certainly not the 'athletic' type..but it really makes me feel good, connected to my body and does a good job keeping the jiggly parts a bit more in line. :)
    @lleecc and @bluetopazsnake‌ - Yes, I'm scared of losing weight too. And of gaining it back. And of staying where I was and dying prematurely. I'm scared of getting an injury that would sideline my exercise efforts and slow me down. Bottom line for me: It is scarier to think about staying where I was and not trying my hardest to manage it than it is to possibly fail. I have to try. I couldn't look in the mirror at myself any longer. I know what a blessing it is for me to have 'hit rock bottom' about this, even though, trust me, it isn't pretty emotionally. Being at the bottom gives me a clarity about my goals. Only I can make myself not go back. I don't know where I'm going with my health goals, but I'm not going back. Not tomorrow. Not ever. I know I haven't the faintest idea of how to arrive at a healthy weight, never mind maintain it. One of my tasks during my weight loss stage is to research how people maintain their weight. What might seem like an easy thing of balancing calories in with calories out to most people has been elusive to me for my entire life. I will need to devote time to finding out how to do this. Arriving at your goal weight is only the beginning. Instead of struggling with my weight, I will be struggling with my maintenence.... :) This is a life long journey for me. I will always have a fitness goal to replace my 'weight loss' fitness goal. I hope this helps you. :)
    @Lois - You have as much right to be working out with the weights as the big, bulky boys. Just go in there and lift....You can do this.
    @MKknits - I am sorry that you are discouraged right now. Keep making good decisions for yourself. It will work out for you.
    @Laurie and @Skinnyjeans - YAY!! Thanks so much for all that you do behind the scenes for all of us to have this opportunity to support one another. ROCK ON!!
    @Ellen - Continue healing. Positive vibes and thoughts heading your way.
    @Ellen and @Niki RE: Strength Training idea. LOVE it. Right now I am trying to get myself started beyond the 2 days I do and am struggling a bit....I may need others to be doing it at the same time and chatting about it, so thanks for thinking of this.
    Perhaps it could run like, Feb 1 LEGS, Feb 2 ARMS, Feb 3 BACK and ABS, repeat through the month... That way, if people have their own routines or exercises that they are currently doing, they can do that. IF people don't have a routine and are starting this, they can do what they'd like. However, that is a lot of strength training.....maybe do it week/ by/ week, so if a person tried 2 sessions during the week, or something?
    Don't know if this helps or not.

BUT....Because I do strength training 2 times a week, my nutritionist has me eating extra protein, and additional water to flush that. It is important that it is lean protein. It also helps with me feeling full during the day (I am on 1475 per day, so feeling full is necessary for my success). :smile: x
    I think unless you are really going at it hard, you won't have to worry about needing to eat too much more to account for it. :) Maybe an ounce or two more of meat at dinner time or something.

AFM: Just bought a whole mess of clothes on sale, a new pair of sneakers and workout gear. :) Feeling new....

Take care.
    Perfect effort and balance.
    Mara
  • scrubb816
    scrubb816 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So, I took pictures this morning.... Me in my undies photos! So scary. It made me realize how completely out of hand I have allowed my weight to become. I am happy to say that I am already down 7.8 lbs... But those pics are certainly motivation to keep it moving.

I won't see my extended family until Easter and I am hoping for a noticeable by "strangers" difference by then. Here is to no more scary photos for any of us :)
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Howdy All,
    Thanks to all for posting, I have learned much this week. Mostly about myself. This life change is only as permanent as the wind. It works only as long as I work at it.
    I have slipped back into some old eating habits. Too many carbs, too late at night, eating in private. The old attitude; "well that's OK, I'll get back in the saddle tomorrow".

I have to remind myself "what you eat in private, eventually you wear in public". So no more playing around for me. I will get to my goals only if I work at it. I have to be the one. I have to do the work. I am the key to my success.

Sometimes when I talk this way I think I sound selfish. But isn't that the way out of this? To be selfish enough to care what happens to me, my body, my life. I know that to really be kind to myself I have to care enough to get what I want, not just what I want now.

So to that end this is my goals list for the week ahead
    Fitness
    Sunday - Spin, Lifting and yoga
    Monday - Spin, Swim
    Tuesday - Trainer, Cybex
    Wednesday - Total Body Fitness Class
    Thursday - Trainer, Cybex
    Friday - Spin, Shoulder WO
    Saturday - Spin

Food - 1400 -1500 Cal/Day, Under 100 Carbs, Over 110 Protein

Water - 12 glasses/day

No eating in private unless it is pre-planned, no unscheduled stops at the grocery, quick mart or restaurants. No extra treats at the bank or strategically placed candy dishes (I call them land mines). No treats unless I have planned them or can fit them into my food plan.

Work - This is the biggest stress in my life right now. There is so very much that is out of control there. I am struggling to catch up but am not gaining on the very long list of overdue jobs. My sister is still taking some time off to care for her grandson. I am now regretting the days I took off at Christmas. I am regretting promising all of this work in such a short time.

Now that I am writing this I know where I have been going wrong. Stress is the one thing that will always trigger my eating. Work stress is for me one of the worst. Because I own the business, it all rests on my shoulders. I am the primary income for my family. My sister's lively hood depends on me. There are so very many bills, vendors, customers and the list goes on.

So now that this comes to the front I know what I am dealing with. Tonight I will be kind to myself and not with food. A hot bath, a candle, a foot rub, early to bed, read a bit and will not set the alarm.

Thank you for listening.
    Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well ... I had an over calories day today, that's one down in my leeway of 3 in my plans.

Calories at goal for monthL 16/17 (goal 28-31)

ALL-IN ... no exercise this week ... that makes 2 weeks, but Really, Really, Really, I would have gone to the gym had I not been sick. Yeah ... so why didn't I do my morning calisthenics that I did all of last quarter? Tell me about it Niki ... go on, tell me.

Looking forward to Monday morning check-in.
    Follow-through, Niki
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Hi All, Just a drive by and a few comments.

Robin- Glad you popped in. Kah (Kelley) and Kaye have also been a big part of the success of this thread. I am very glad you started this thread because it has allowed me to develop a supportive network of friends to share my ups and downs. Thank you Robin.

Weight training- Yes, it can be done with exercise bands. As I learned from my trainer last week, every weight machine exercise can be recreated using those bands. Some exercises like seated leg press needs a stronger tension than upward rows or side pulls. With your leg you can hit the ab and aductors (thighs) using a chair and an exercise ball. Just squeeze the ball and hold for a few seconds and repeat. Depending on the band you have you can change the tension on it by making it longer or shorter depending on your needs. YOu can also do a chest press by throwing a ball against a wall (pushing with your elbow down close to your sides you push the ball to the wall). Let the ball bounce before you catch it. It is a great exercise.

I noticed that many people are struggling right now with the fear of re-gaining the weight they have lost and that is a real fear and potential problem. There are no easy answers for this except that you must have faith in your-self that you won't return to the old ways. I know that is easier said than done but it can be accomplished. A few simple guidelines to help you through the rest of this month and Feb.
    -Find a way to get moving "Just 15 minutes" or 5 minutes at a time- take a walk and add a little more each time.
    -Try something new- either exercise or something fun that you want to do.
    -Don't allow yourself to fall into the self-fulling syndrome- If you believe that you will regain the weight then it will happen, Believe that you will keep the weight off. Just that change of mindset will help.
    -Just like the little engine that Could said "I think I can, I think I can." Make it I know I can, I know I can.

This journey is not easy and obstacles will always get in the way, however you can work to overcome them and turn them into positives.

For me one obstacle has been my irrational fear of heights (I know I rock climb), this is especially true on a diving board. I really have a hard time looking down at the water and having to dive in, this experience sends into panic mode. I was reminded of that today at swim practice. I have a swim meet tomorrow and the coach wanted me to start off the blocks at practice today. When I read that last night I was already like I can't do that, not ready etc. Then this morning at practice it was the first things I was told. Of course the question out of my mouth was HOW do I do this as the panic was starting to set in? My trainer was at practice this morning, which was lucky in a way since she knows about my fear but doesn't know the whole back story and even the fact that a 3ft diving board terrifies me. I can dive off the side of the pool just fine but the starting blocks no way. So today I managed to climb up on the block and jumped into the pool. Right now that is a start. For me it will be okay if never start off the block or to make it a positive, it is something to work towards. The swim meet will be challenging tomorrow since I am swimming a 200 breast, 100 Back and a 50 breast. This will require me to make 2 dive starts instead of doing an in water start.

I will always have a fear of heights but I can't let that stop me from trying new things.

Stay positive: I know I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can, I know I can. YES! I DID!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @laurie--good luck at your meet tomorrow.

@niki--you're doing better than me as I've already used up 2 of my days.

@lori--love that "what you eat in private" quote; it's too true! I've also found eat too much when I'm under a lot of stress. However, I don't think I turn to food, so much as just use being busy as an excuse to make bad choices. Something to work on, for sure.

@scrubbe--I regret not taking purposeful "before" pictures. I have trouble finding any full length ones of me when I was at my heaviest b/c I used to hide from the camera.

@mara--yes, strength work helps reduce the "jiggle" which is why I'm sad I can't do much right now. At least I will be going to PT soon and can work my way back into to it.

@marypoppins--don't even get me started on AT&T. Ever since we switched to uverse a couple of years ago, we've had nothing but headaches.

@kelley--hope you get all of your errands done today.

@melifornia--great job getting so much done on your list!

Friday Fitness: (forgot to post this yesterday)
    Made to the gym 3 times this week, so 1 more day than my goal. Today I did some speed intervals on the treadmill. Started at 5.7 for 5 minutes then gradually worked up to a 7 mph pace for 90 seconds for my fasted interval with 1 to 2 minute walking breaks in between each interval. I plan to repeat this routine about once a week, pushing for longer times at the faster paces each time.

Saturday Success:
    I think making it to the gym 3 times is my big success. I certainly didn't make the progress I would've liked on the grading goals. Today I slept in a bit and ran some errands before hitting the gym. Didn't make it to starbucks to grade until after 5pm, and then only got through 5 essays.

Need to finish my 2nd and 5th period classes by Tuesday which = 34 more. Then 4th period need to be done by Wed.--I have 11 more of those. Tomorrow will be an all-day grading marathon for sure. The smaller stuff will either get done in between or during the week. At least I will have a lot of time while my students take their finals.

2015 mantra = "Just 15 minutes"

January Challenge:
    Under calorie goal: 15/17 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    All-in: run 2 days/week: week 1 = 2/2, week 2 = 3/2, week 3 = x/2, week 3 = x/2
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47)

Grading Goals:
    1. 21/66 AP essays
    2. Tone test corrections
    3. 30/66 AP journals
    4. x/14 junior analysis activities
    5. 23/66 journal conferences

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Tues--rest day (meeting)
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE BUT WENT TO THE GYM
    Thurs-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    It's been a long time. :D
    I've been off the site for a bit. I got injured (sciatica) and my doctor and PT decided that I could not do ANY exercise other than walking and was not allowed to lift anything over 10lbs. It totally derailed me. I got depressed and I ate way more than I should of (of everything I shouldn't). Four months gone and I'm lucky to only have gained eight lbs. :P They weren't getting anywhere with the PT, so they gave me a shot of cortisone. Half the pain's gone but now they are trying to figure out where the rest is coming from. The PT has cleared me for "light" activity. I've decided to skip the light. I've lost strength, endurance and flexibility... so I've started up Zumba again (modified... I'm not totally stupid lol). The real downer is I really enjoyed Karate and I was about to grade my belt when I had to withdraw in the beginning of Dec.
    Anyway I'm back... I do better when I feel accountable. So I hope you don't mind me rejoining up. I'm a little baffled why there is so many pages? I thought it rolled at 20?
    Saturday success: Food was under goal and I exercised for 60min today.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    @p1xyn1xy - Welcome back!! A few months ago, MFP updated and redid the whole community pages. They put the entire history of Robin's thread all together. No more rollovers! Yay! You can pick up right where you left off by clicking on the star at the top of the page to add this to your favorites. Whenever you click on the star, it tells you how many new posts since you last read and will take you right back to where you were. The change takes some getting used to, but now I love it. Glad you're getting back on your feet!

More posts later...gotta get this family going for breakfast and church this morning!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Winnie the Pooh Day 18th Jan each year.
    One of the cuddliest holidays around has to be Winnie the Pooh Day, celebrated on the birthday of author A A Milne. It’s one special anniversary fans just can’t bear to miss! Every year, the occasion is marked with events such as teddy bears’ picnics, featuring plenty of honey on the menu.
    Winnie the Pooh first appeared on the printed page in 1926, together with friends Piglet, Tigger and Eeyore. All of them were based on toys owned by the author’s son, who also featured in the famous stories as Christopher Robin. The character later starred in a series of much-loved Disney films. One extra-special way to mark the day is to visit Pooh Corner in Hartfield, East Sussex, where the books were written. You can pick up a map to follow in the characters’ footsteps, and even play a game of Poohsticks on the original bridge.

“The difference between a mountain and a molehill is your perspective.” ~Al Neuharth

Tom
  • slimbluehen
    slimbluehen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @tlh0407 - "You do need to remember that life can be taken away at any moment and that it’s best to live life to the fullest. He kept saying “when I retire..” Never got that far and so I’m not saving my adventures for retirement." That is so true. I keep trying to squeeze what I want to do into my life but work really gets in the way! I could actually retire, but bills/house repairs vs. free time is a question I keep running through my mind all the time.

@mnwalkingqueen – you have done the right thing to protect yourself. There is real wisdom in knowing when to back off from a bad situation. You have been able to make your own decision about what is good/bad for you (frankly that teacher sounds bad for everyone). You got good advice from others – report him and take the class again with someone else, preferably, someone who is a native English speaker.

@NK1112 - re the stretchy bands, yes, those are a form of weight training. Go for it! (and thank you Laurie for the exercise tips).

@Skinnyjeanz and @LaurieK70, Kah and Kaye - Thank you SO MUCH for supporting this forum.

@melifornia – your goals make me tired just reading them!!!!

@marypoppinsiaint - Feel better soon. I know it isn't fun to deal with service providers, but I truly enjoyed reading your description of the 'battle.' Kudos to you…I'm pathetic when trying to stand up stand up for myself so I admire anyone who can and does.

@Lori - you do not sound one bit selfish to me…you sound very smart, figuring out where you need to make changes and planning ahead to insure you don't just react the same old way. It is consistency that helps us win at changing our habits.

@p1xy - Nice to meet you, I'm new since you took your detour. Scieatica is no joke, is it? I've had it bad in the past and can sympathize. Sounds like you are getting right back up on the horse, so to speak. Congratulations!

@Tom – thank you for telling us about Winnie the Pooh Day - a little sweetness is always appreciated!

As for me, I have not gone to the gym or walked at all, all week long. I have a bum knee which I can usually ignore, but I did something to it and its been sore and I've been limping all week long. I seems to be a bit better today – Yay! – so I will start again to exercise on Monday. But I also think I will be making a call to a specialist to see if I can get it evaluated. Maybe there is a non-surgical intervention that can be performed and I've been dragging my feet because I'm afraid it will be otherwise. But ostriches don't really avoid the lion, do they?