Tired of explaining my diet to people

Options

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My in-laws are brining over Chinese food tonight and tonight is my cherished cheat meal night and Chinese food is simply not cheat worthy so it's causing family strife that I told them not to bring me any and I will get my own food, which is what opens up the "diet" discussion.
    Could you simply move this "cheat night" (hopefully not too much!) by one day, and have a moderate portion of Chinese? I like Panda Express--many reasonable options.
    It's a matter of being grateful for a kind gesture, which is treating them to dinner.
    This, too. :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    ashtonlv wrote: »
    You guys are all cracking me up, this is awesome. I feel like I should give some color to what sort of precipitated this aggravation. My in-laws are brining over Chinese food tonight and tonight is my cherished cheat meal night and Chinese food is simply not cheat worthy so it's causing family strife that I told them not to bring me any and I will get my own food, which is what opens up the "diet" discussion. My husband is mad at me for being rude, and my in laws are still trying to get me to tell them what I want from the Chinese restaurant.

I'd suck it up and have Chinese, make Saturday my cheat meal, and be grateful that someone else is paying.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I totally understand and get frustrated with it myself sometimes. I even get laughed at by my friends for not ordering straight off the menu, making modifications, and weighing my food. But you know what? If they keep on prodding and poking, I just say, "Look at you and look at me. Who's doing it right?" That usually shuts them up. I'm also tired of people saying, "Don't get too skinny." That's none of their business, first off, but it makes me feel like saying to them, "Don't get too fat." But that's not "politically correct."

^^ I'm glad I'm not the only one who gives peoples' attitudes about my food choices or my body right back to 'em. I'm LOL'ing so hard right now :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It drives me nuts that moderation doesn't end well for me and I have to keep explaining that. I've decided to tell people it's not an addiction or a satiety issue or carb cravings or some emotional compulsion or anything else. It's just that I enjoy quietly hating on all you people who can effortlessly have one piece of cake and then walk away satisfied. I am enjoying my bellyful of hatred, okay? So I'm going to be off in this corner with my steak, scowling at all the normal-weight people cruising the dessert bar for sensible portions to fit into their daily allotment. Because I like it!
  • carlyy4589
    carlyy4589 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know what you are going through. I have lost ove 75 LBS and people ALWAYS look at my food and criticise what I eat. Many people give me their diet ideas and suggestions and I want to tell them to F off because they are bad plans and I CLEARLY know better. The worst is people telling me I lost too much weight or I'm not eating enough protein or WHATEVER. I have been overweight since I could remember, I worked hard for this. Let me attain my goals and you stick to yours. I am doing this properly and am not starving myself (I LOVE FOOD). Back off people hehe
  • carlyy4589
    carlyy4589 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    People ALWAYS push food on me. I am not always dieting but (I bring my own food and don't need handouts. Especially crackers or cookies. If my lunch is not "big enough" too bad for me I'm an adult JEEZ
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    " I'll worry about me, you worry about you " That will end just about any do gooders prodding into your biz, be it diet or otherwise.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    carlyy4589 wrote: »
    People ALWAYS push food on me. I am not always dieting but (I bring my own food and don't need handouts. Especially crackers or cookies. If my lunch is not "big enough" too bad for me I'm an adult JEEZ

Haha, In that case you could say, "No thanks, but if you really want to feed people, the soup kitchen is always looking for volunteers!"
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    It drives me nuts that moderation doesn't end well for me and I have to keep explaining that. I've decided to tell people it's not an addiction or a satiety issue or carb cravings or some emotional compulsion or anything else. It's just that I enjoy quietly hating on all you people who can effortlessly have one piece of cake and then walk away satisfied. I am enjoying my bellyful of hatred, okay? So I'm going to be off in this corner with my steak, scowling at all the normal-weight people cruising the dessert bar for sensible portions to fit into their daily allotment. Because I like it!

I think you should probably talk to a therapist if people with normal eating habits bother you that much...
  • Jolinia
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

I think you should probably talk to a therapist if people with normal eating habits bother you that much...

If that is normal how come so many Americans are obese or overweight? By definition, that isn't normal!
  • PRMinx
    Options

If that is normal how come so many Americans are obese or overweight? By definition, that isn't normal!

Ok, I'll rephrase.

I think you should probably talk to a therapist if people with reasonable eating habits bother you that much...

• Jolinia
    Options

Ok, I'll rephrase.

I think you should probably talk to a therapist if people with reasonable eating habits bother you that much...

Well that joke fell flat! I was just kidding around!

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Anyone else having the frustration of people constantly asking you to explain your diet and goals to them? I wish I could just say "no thank you" to food being offered without them asking why and having to explain.

If people are not accepting your "no thank you" they're being rude and intrusive. Look 'em in the eye and say, "I'm sorry, perhaps I did not speak clearly. I said, 'No, thank you.'"

If they try to argue, keep repeating that like a broken record. They'll either get the message or try to escalate. Then you can clock 'em with a chair.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Ok, I'll rephrase.

Ahhhh ok.

My sarcasm meter was off. I haven't see a lot of you around here.

Carry on, carry on.
  • Jolinia
    Options

Ok, I'll rephrase.

Ahhhh ok.

My sarcasm meter was off. I haven't see a lot of you around here.

Carry on, carry on.

You'll get used to my obnoxious sense of humor. ;)

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Anyone else having the frustration of people constantly asking you to explain your diet and goals to them? I wish I could just say "no thank you" to food being offered without them asking why and having to explain. Then when I say that I'm watching what I eat it's like it becomes a debate issue and I'm having to defend myself and/or repeat my refusal several times. I don't really want to have to discuss it, it's tiresome. Am I alone in this? Sorry for the rant but I'm wondering if other people have had the same experience and have tactics that are effective at cutting off the line of questioning that comes after turning down food or eating related invitations without being rude.

Yes I do, but for a completely different reason. Due to food allergies, I don't eat anything I don't prepare myself (or a family member prepares). I absolutely don't eat out, ever. I simply say "no thank you" and either leave it at that or if it is someone who is a friend I joke with them about trying to kill me. Most people don't ask why after I say no thank you though. And if they do and it is not someone I know, I simply say "I am not hungry".
  • PRMinx
    Options
    So, as I see these people here who get all rude and angry, I think it's important to point out a couple of things.

1. People have emotions about food. And it doesn't just have to do with weight. Some people were raised in homes where you are being a bad host if you don't offer guests food. Some people like to entertain and are emotionally invested in the food they have made because they put effort into it. Some people are heavy and haven't figured out their diet plan yet. Some people are just not understanding. If you remove your own food anxiety from the equation and look at the other person's point of view, you'll realize that 99% of the time there is no reason to get upset, defensive or whatever.

2. In some cultures, it is considered positively rude to turn down food or drink. If you go to the middle east, for example, you WILL eat what they give you (even if just a bite) because it's a smack in their face (and their culture of hospitality) if you don't.

Net, net? Step outside yourself for a second and see the other side.
  • webg
    webg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would agree with those who say don't discuss it but if you are around nosy, controlling people(much like my family) and it does come up keep it simple, or even shorten it....

"I am working hard to improve my health and am very committed to it... appreciate you supporting me." There is nothing open for discussion and the big mouths who are unhappy with their own situation will still babbly on, then nod your head and say...

"Well I appreciate your concern"

This is not being rude in any way, say it firmly and with conviction. You will find a few mouths shut quickly.
  • webg
    webg Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    " I'll worry about me, you worry about you " That will end just about any do gooders prodding into your biz, be it diet or otherwise.

This is awesome to! lol short and sweet.