Relatively light people trying to get leaner

Options

Replies

• Sammyluvsteve
    Sammyluvsteve Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also, I have to be able to work out at home.
  • Sammyluvsteve
    Options
    Also, I have to be able to work out at home.

• Sammyluvsteve
    Options
    I don't have any fancy equipment
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Sammyluvsteve, read the entire thread - it will take some time and you can break it down into parts. This thread is golden :)
  • Sammyluvsteve
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    Sammyluvsteve, read the entire thread - it will take some time and you can break it down into parts. This thread is golden :)
    maxit wrote: »

Oh I didn't see the article. It was way back. Read it. I think I'll just keep on keeping on..patience is key here. Thx
  • emmadavies127
    emmadavies127 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks! I am in a similar situation. I have been running for about 2 years -- and after an overuse injury decided to do a little more cross training. I started weight-lifting, swimming and biking on my non-running days. After 5 months I have gained 3 pounds! It's very discouraging. Luckily I did do a body composition analysis before I started -- and look forward to comparing before/after results. I know I have toned so I should have a lower body fat %. I tend to be a slave to the scale but am trying desperately to quit using it until my 6 month assessment....next month.

Thanks for the great info!

You're very welcome.

If I were to make one suggestion... if you're a runner logging significant mileage, on your non-running days I'd either be relaxing or strength training. Don't do more cardio. High volumes of cardio (distance running, swimming, biking, circuit training, etc) can do wonky things to lean women trying to get leaner.

Plus, you're interested in optimizing your body composition, obviously. Being lean is a function of fat loss AND muscle gain/maintenance. Strength training is what facilitates the latter, yet very few people prioritize it and/or do it correctly.

Is strength training with your own body weight a good idea. Insanity type stuff as I can't get to gym.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I finally got it through my thick head of why-your-goal-weight-is-stupid. lol.

I'm 5'3" 127-128lb and my head kept saying 125 - for YEARS! WW kept telling me 128 and on MFP, I seem to maintain pretty well where I am. Also due to lots of cardio/strength training classes including Aqua fitness and land, my clothing size is a 4 that is comfortably loose (not like I need a smaller size though) and I'm sort of busty so I'm not a little waif. I also have visible muscle structure that I think is really cool.

It's a relief, not to have to constantly be trying to reach a certain number.
  • andreamaym
    andreamaym Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later this evening!
  • ryanbrowning115
    ryanbrowning115 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    wow a lot of good info here, glad I found this thread.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    more questions...

so, I eat healthy most days. A normal day is....Oatmeal/whole wheat english muffin with pb or hardboiled egg for b'fast-- almonds or fruit for snack -- sandwich or salad with fruit for lunch -- greek yogurt for snack -- grilled chicken for dinner/brown rice/ green beans. I am 41 :noway: 5'3" and 130 lbs (hoping to get back to 120). MFP says I should eat around 1250 calories plus exercise calories. How do you count weight lifting? Some days I can exercise 1000+ calories but don't feel like eating till the next day. Do I deprive myself? Very frustrated -- too much to take in -- there must be an easier way :bigsmile: .

Did I mention I'm an accountant -- and all this gray area does not work for me. I need someone to say -- do this....eat this....and you'll get the desired results. Not asking much....right?:blushing:

Haha, you're fun.

Unfortunately I'm not your guy. I don't give rigid guidelines to follow because in my experience.... it simply doesn't work well. People need to take the fundamentals and apply them in a customized way to themselves.

What are the fundamentals? Well to name a few....

1. Set calories according to your goal. A deficit for weight loss, equal for maintenance, and a surplus for weight gain

2. Set protein at approximately 1 gram per pound of goal body weight. There are 4 calories in each gram of protein.

3. Set fat at approximately 30% of total calories. There are 9 calories for each gram of fat.

4. Eat 4-6 servings of fibrous veggies per day. Calorie content of veggies varies depending on the type... but a ballpark might be 20-40 per serving.

5. Eat 2-4 servings of fruit per day. Like veggies, calorie content varies here. A ballpark might be 60 or so.

I don't use MFP for anything but the community and helping people. I'm not sure how all their calculators work. I can tell you this though... I'm not a fan of estimating calorie expenditure. It's something I've never done with my clients or myself. I take a much simpler route.

I pick a reasonable estimate of calorie maintenance assuming sane amounts of exercise. What's a sane amount of exercise? About an hour per day of moderate to above moderate activity. Weight lifting, cardio, etc. Maintenance works out to be roughly 14-16 calories per pound.

If you're very lean or very overweight... or if you feel you have a bit of a sluggish metabolism... you might need to adjust this starting point. In your case though, I'd go with 15 given your level of activity. Remember, this isn't a contract you're signing here so there's no need to make a big deal about it.

130 x 15 = 1950

From there, it's a matter of creating your deficit. I generally like a deficit of 30% or so. This would put you at about 1400 calories or so. If you were my client, that'd be your initial daily calorie target.

Then it'd be a matter of filling in those calories with the "right mixture" of nutrients.

On the protein front, 1 gram per pound of goal body weight would put you at 120 grams. 120 grams of protein equates to 480 calories, leaving you with 920 left to "fill."

Good sources of protein include chicken and turkey breast, fish, lean ground beef, lean cuts of steak, pork tenderloin, nuts, eggs, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, protein powders, etc.

On the fat front, 30% of total calories comes to 420. Since there are 9 calories in each gram of fat, this would equate to 47 or so grams of fat. You'd be left with 500 calories left to fill.

Good sources of fat include fish oils, flax, fish, olive oil, avocados, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc

If we go with our ballparked numbers for veggies and fruits, we'd have 130ish calories coming from veggies and 180ish coming from fruit. We'd be left with 190 calories left to fill.

This final allotment is your freebie. Fill it with whatever you'd like.

Just remember this is a process. You don't get to sign a contract and expect things to work indefinitely. The process should look *something* like this:

1. Estimate total energy expenditure. (this is where I start with the 14-16 cals per pound)

2. Set your caloric intake at a level above or below the above estimation depending on whether you want to gain or lose weight, respectively.

3. Track your measurements, weight, body fat, pictures, etc every 2-4 weeks.

4. Based on the trend you’re seeing with your tracking, adjust your intake accordingly.

5. Rinse and repeat steps 2-4 until you a) reach your goal or b) your goals change.

You're an accountant, so you must like numbers. Therefore you must like this post. :)

I really like how this guy thinks and feel that this thread needs to be bumped. Haven't read much of it but I like what I have read so far.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks! I am in a similar situation. I have been running for about 2 years -- and after an overuse injury decided to do a little more cross training. I started weight-lifting, swimming and biking on my non-running days. After 5 months I have gained 3 pounds! It's very discouraging. Luckily I did do a body composition analysis before I started -- and look forward to comparing before/after results. I know I have toned so I should have a lower body fat %. I tend to be a slave to the scale but am trying desperately to quit using it until my 6 month assessment....next month.

Thanks for the great info!

You're very welcome.

If I were to make one suggestion... if you're a runner logging significant mileage, on your non-running days I'd either be relaxing or strength training. Don't do more cardio. High volumes of cardio (distance running, swimming, biking, circuit training, etc) can do wonky things to lean women trying to get leaner.

Plus, you're interested in optimizing your body composition, obviously. Being lean is a function of fat loss AND muscle gain/maintenance. Strength training is what facilitates the latter, yet very few people prioritize it and/or do it correctly.

Is strength training with your own body weight a good idea. Insanity type stuff as I can't get to gym.

Everything is context dependent. The important context that's missing here with your question is a) what is your training experience and b) what is your goal?

Body weight training can be a great form of exercise for certain people with certain goals.

• stroutman81
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    more questions...

so, I eat healthy most days. A normal day is....Oatmeal/whole wheat english muffin with pb or hardboiled egg for b'fast-- almonds or fruit for snack -- sandwich or salad with fruit for lunch -- greek yogurt for snack -- grilled chicken for dinner/brown rice/ green beans. I am 41 :noway: 5'3" and 130 lbs (hoping to get back to 120). MFP says I should eat around 1250 calories plus exercise calories. How do you count weight lifting? Some days I can exercise 1000+ calories but don't feel like eating till the next day. Do I deprive myself? Very frustrated -- too much to take in -- there must be an easier way :bigsmile: .

Did I mention I'm an accountant -- and all this gray area does not work for me. I need someone to say -- do this....eat this....and you'll get the desired results. Not asking much....right?:blushing:

Haha, you're fun.

Unfortunately I'm not your guy. I don't give rigid guidelines to follow because in my experience.... it simply doesn't work well. People need to take the fundamentals and apply them in a customized way to themselves.

What are the fundamentals? Well to name a few....

1. Set calories according to your goal. A deficit for weight loss, equal for maintenance, and a surplus for weight gain

2. Set protein at approximately 1 gram per pound of goal body weight. There are 4 calories in each gram of protein.

3. Set fat at approximately 30% of total calories. There are 9 calories for each gram of fat.

4. Eat 4-6 servings of fibrous veggies per day. Calorie content of veggies varies depending on the type... but a ballpark might be 20-40 per serving.

5. Eat 2-4 servings of fruit per day. Like veggies, calorie content varies here. A ballpark might be 60 or so.

I don't use MFP for anything but the community and helping people. I'm not sure how all their calculators work. I can tell you this though... I'm not a fan of estimating calorie expenditure. It's something I've never done with my clients or myself. I take a much simpler route.

I pick a reasonable estimate of calorie maintenance assuming sane amounts of exercise. What's a sane amount of exercise? About an hour per day of moderate to above moderate activity. Weight lifting, cardio, etc. Maintenance works out to be roughly 14-16 calories per pound.

If you're very lean or very overweight... or if you feel you have a bit of a sluggish metabolism... you might need to adjust this starting point. In your case though, I'd go with 15 given your level of activity. Remember, this isn't a contract you're signing here so there's no need to make a big deal about it.

130 x 15 = 1950

From there, it's a matter of creating your deficit. I generally like a deficit of 30% or so. This would put you at about 1400 calories or so. If you were my client, that'd be your initial daily calorie target.

Then it'd be a matter of filling in those calories with the "right mixture" of nutrients.

On the protein front, 1 gram per pound of goal body weight would put you at 120 grams. 120 grams of protein equates to 480 calories, leaving you with 920 left to "fill."

Good sources of protein include chicken and turkey breast, fish, lean ground beef, lean cuts of steak, pork tenderloin, nuts, eggs, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, protein powders, etc.

On the fat front, 30% of total calories comes to 420. Since there are 9 calories in each gram of fat, this would equate to 47 or so grams of fat. You'd be left with 500 calories left to fill.

Good sources of fat include fish oils, flax, fish, olive oil, avocados, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc

If we go with our ballparked numbers for veggies and fruits, we'd have 130ish calories coming from veggies and 180ish coming from fruit. We'd be left with 190 calories left to fill.

This final allotment is your freebie. Fill it with whatever you'd like.

Just remember this is a process. You don't get to sign a contract and expect things to work indefinitely. The process should look *something* like this:

1. Estimate total energy expenditure. (this is where I start with the 14-16 cals per pound)

2. Set your caloric intake at a level above or below the above estimation depending on whether you want to gain or lose weight, respectively.

3. Track your measurements, weight, body fat, pictures, etc every 2-4 weeks.

4. Based on the trend you’re seeing with your tracking, adjust your intake accordingly.

5. Rinse and repeat steps 2-4 until you a) reach your goal or b) your goals change.

You're an accountant, so you must like numbers. Therefore you must like this post. :)

I really like how this guy thinks and feel that this thread needs to be bumped. Haven't read much of it but I like what I have read so far.

Well thanks. "This guy" appreciates that you appreciate some of his philosophies. :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Hiya, Steve. I wasn't on MFP when this thread started, but I'm so glad Leena bumped it. Why is it not a sticky? Great read. I like reading Lyle McDonald, too, and that plagiarism bit is too bad. His style is so distinctive, if you were going to rip someone off, wouldn't it be logical to go after someone with a little less attitude? Anywhoo, if you are still willing/able to entertain specific questions, I have a lean woman too much cardio wonkiness question.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    Take it from me - I went from weighing 105 to 109 now. This transformation took 4-5 months of HEAVY lifting.

I used to do endless cardio and low calorie eating thinking that is what made me "thin". Then I realized I don't want to be "thin", I want to be firm, muscular, athletic and in great shape. I have reduced my body fat approx. 2-3% during this process, yet I weigh more. I still fit into the clothes I did 4 pounds lighter. I look 10000x better. I have no - zero - cellulite on the back of my legs now. I went from being able to do 75 pounds on the leg press to 155 pounds now. My deadlift went from 20 pounds to 50 pounds now. My bicep curls went from 5 pounds each arm to 15 pounds now. I see actual muscle definition. I eat way more now too!

My friends, weight lifting made my body look SO much better. I do not look bulky or big, I look smaller, tighter and athletic. Give it a shot!

Love your post and it is what my goal is as well.

To the OP...so I am 5' 3", 136, my GUT is 37", and will be 50yo in a couple of weeks. I am reading up on all of this as I do fit your profile.

I have not started heavy lifting yet. I was doing the typical cardio and strength training classes. I am reading "Strong Lifts for Strong Women".

I have Morton's neuroma, some PF on my left foot, tight calves, tight achilles, & weak ankle strength at the moment.

My question is do you have to be "100% fit" to jump into heavy lifting? I think that is what is a little unnerving for me. I am afraid of injury to be honest.

• stroutman81
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Hiya, Steve. I wasn't on MFP when this thread started, but I'm so glad Leena bumped it. Why is it not a sticky? Great read. I like reading Lyle McDonald, too, and that plagiarism bit is too bad. His style is so distinctive, if you were going to rip someone off, wouldn't it be logical to go after someone with a little less attitude? Anywhoo, if you are still willing/able to entertain specific questions, I have a lean woman too much cardio wonkiness question.

Do they do stickies here now? If so, I'm offended I didn't make it onto one! There were some epic threads back in the day... this being one of them. Oh well. But yeah, I'm still around... albeit much less than I used to be. Feel free to fire away with your question and I'll see if I have any insight.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi :)

This is a great thread! Thank you for writing.

Question: what goal would you recommend for someone who's at say a normal BMI (22), but has a high body fat percentage (30%+)? Better to build muscle or focus on fat loss?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well, maybe they are sticky-equivalents... "Announcements" or some such. Thanks for entertaining a Q. Here it is: How much cardio does it take to approach the wonky zone? I do <1 hr/day. Having run 50-60mi/week in my 20’s & 30’s, it seems like a modest amount of cardio to me, but I'm often in a modest deficit, too, so I wonder. Specifics below. Hope it's not TMI. Thx again!

Goal: maintain **
    Stats: 5’7”, 115lb, age 50, 15% BF per Navy formula

ST 3x/week: 3 sets body weight core (pushups, planks, hikes) + 3 sets/15 reps curls, lat extensions & rows with hand weights. Do it at home. Not much of a gym rat. Need to get a heavier hand weight.

Cardio: 3x/week sprint intervals (8 of them) in a 4 mi route (1st mi walk @12 min/mi & last mi run @8 min/mi) + 3x/week walk 4mi @12 min/mi + 1 day rest. I prioritize upper body ST because I have decent weight bearing for maintaining bone mass with cardio. Running has always been more for my head than my body, though. I need the time alone outside.

Diet: TDEE~1750, roughly equal macro kcal with at least 100g protein (mostly chicken) and 25-30g fiber (mostly legumes). Fat is mostly nuts & seeds, little saturated, but I am an omnivore and will eat anything. I “budget” 150 kcal/day for alcohol but drink it only on weekends. E.g. at maintenance, I eat 1600 daily and drink 1000kcal wine over the weekend. I eat 1350 when I need a deficit to stay in my maintenance range, which is a lot of the time.

** I flirt with the idea of trying to gain 5lb muscle/bone, but honestly I don’t know how much effort it would take. No menopause signs yet, and building bone while I’ve got the progesterone seems like a good investment.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    kdiamond wrote: »
    Take it from me - I went from weighing 105 to 109 now. This transformation took 4-5 months of HEAVY lifting.

I used to do endless cardio and low calorie eating thinking that is what made me "thin". Then I realized I don't want to be "thin", I want to be firm, muscular, athletic and in great shape. I have reduced my body fat approx. 2-3% during this process, yet I weigh more. I still fit into the clothes I did 4 pounds lighter. I look 10000x better. I have no - zero - cellulite on the back of my legs now. I went from being able to do 75 pounds on the leg press to 155 pounds now. My deadlift went from 20 pounds to 50 pounds now. My bicep curls went from 5 pounds each arm to 15 pounds now. I see actual muscle definition. I eat way more now too!

My friends, weight lifting made my body look SO much better. I do not look bulky or big, I look smaller, tighter and athletic. Give it a shot!

Love your post and it is what my goal is as well.

To the OP...so I am 5' 3", 136, my GUT is 37", and will be 50yo in a couple of weeks. I am reading up on all of this as I do fit your profile.

I have not started heavy lifting yet. I was doing the typical cardio and strength training classes. I am reading "Strong Lifts for Strong Women".

I have Morton's neuroma, some PF on my left foot, tight calves, tight achilles, & weak ankle strength at the moment.

My question is do you have to be "100% fit" to jump into heavy lifting? I think that is what is a little unnerving for me. I am afraid of injury to be honest.

In most cases, you lift to get fit. It's not about being fit to lift.

Of course you have to be smart about it. Work with your weaknesses and injuries patterns. And it's best to err on the side of caution... sort of "grow into" a particular exercise and rep range. What I mean by that is...

Let's suppose you're shooting for 8 reps per set in a given exercise. If you're new to the exercise - and strength training in general - you don't want to necessarily jump right to a load that really challenges you for 8. Rather you should take your time. Build a foundation of movement proficiency. Err on the side of conservative with your loading. As you become more competent, you can increase loading over time and, again, "grow into" the target rep range... eventually reaching a point where your loads are actually challenging you.

Hopefully that makes sense.

But there's no reason you shouldn't start now.

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options

In most cases, you lift to get fit. It's not about being fit to lift.

Of course you have to be smart about it. Work with your weaknesses and injuries patterns. And it's best to err on the side of caution... sort of "grow into" a particular exercise and rep range. What I mean by that is...

Let's suppose you're shooting for 8 reps per set in a given exercise. If you're new to the exercise - and strength training in general - you don't want to necessarily jump right to a load that really challenges you for 8. Rather you should take your time. Build a foundation of movement proficiency. Err on the side of conservative with your loading. As you become more competent, you can increase loading over time and, again, "grow into" the target rep range... eventually reaching a point where your loads are actually challenging you.

Hopefully that makes sense.

But there's no reason you shouldn't start now.

Yes, makes good sense to me. Thank you.

• in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I've probably replied here at some point in the last few years... I just wanted to let you know your words are always appreciated, Steve! xxo