Girls and Weight training? Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    Agreed, anarchysbitch (love the name, btw). I don't particularly like being called a "girl" and no, I don't "need" a man to tell me what to do....but the OP intention wasn't to be a douche, it was to encourage.

You see encouraging, some of us see condescending.

Guess we're all different.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Dear OP,

Stop digging.

Nah its good workout!

I wont do research or speak from experience in future I'll just ask questions of the al'mighty instead.

Well maybe prove yourself a bit, instead of being a condescending ________ (you can fill in the blank) What experience do you bring? Right now you are just some annoying guy

Also why just pick out the poor helpless girls, what about the guys? Lifting isn't good for them?

But they don't need instruction, just us poor girls.

Uh huh I need a big strong man to show me what to do... guess I should look outside of this thread

it's ok DYELB is here

As long as us uninformed helpless girls have guidance
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting into stupid arguments on the internet, as I said its an observation and a question based on MY experience in various gyms. If people are offended I don't care as that wasn't the intention of the post. Like them or not I'll give my opinions an observations on a different topic next, I haven't done because I wanted to be able to respond to the posts here.
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    kimhere wrote: »
    All the offense on being called a girl?? I'm sorry but I would not have even thought for that to be offensive.

My thoughts exactly. People these days get "offended" wayyyy to easily!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm sure people will take offence to this too but why are people so *kitten* precious these days? Seriously, political correctness has gotten outta hand! If the intent behind the OP's question wasn't nasty then why the *kitten* is everyone getting on thier damn high horses? Toughen up people!

This isn't about being political correct.
    Or being tough.

There are a lot of assumptions in the OP that are insulting- and feel like he's trying to help fix us. We don't need fixing. But thanks for whiteknighting.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Agreed, anarchysbitch (love the name, btw). I don't particularly like being called a "girl" and no, I don't "need" a man to tell me what to do....but the OP intention wasn't to be a douche, it was to encourage.

You see encouraging, some of us see condescending.

Guess we're all different.

I see mediocrity giving advice that's either useless or wrong.

You could call everyone sugar t*ts for all I care (including me) if you're actually being helpful.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I want to clear up something:

If I say I lift, will I get n00dz from OP? To quantify that statement, does it have to be "formal" lifting (ie with bars and plates and actual equipment)?
    52lred422e0l.gif
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I have never seen more adults get worked up over things as I do on MFP general message boards. I'm a grown up lady but I don't care if you call me girl. I say things like "the girls at work" all the time. They are also grown ups but they don't get offended either.

That said, I've tried the heavy lifting programs spouted ad nauseum on these boards and I also found them boring. I didn't find it overly thrilling to lift heavier, not enough to keep carving time out of my already busy schedule to keep doing it. I mostly just do body weight exercises. I prefer cardio as it tends to lower my blood sugar levels more than weight lifting.

I think this is a good topic, though. I think a lot of women come to these threads, whether or not they post, wondering about strength training and come away with a new program and then a new love for fitness. This is a good thing. Just check the "girls" only strength training groups. I have a feeling a lot of people would like to learn more but don't post because of the "we all KNOW that dummy" vibes that get thrown around. I appreciate you opening this particular can of worms again. If nothing else, its entertaining.

So you're telling me what I should and shouldn't be offended over?

I didn't tell you anything. I don't even know you. I was making an observation about the OP that boils down to my opinion. Or am I not allowed to have that? Oh, wait, that wasn't what you were saying right? In general, though, life has way too many things to worry about than one person bringing up a topic and using language that may offend some, but doesn't offend others. Just my opinion of course, you're free to get offended but it reflects poorly (again, my opinion) on you, not him. I don't know him, or you, or anyone else around here enough to get offended by a word thrown out, especially when I understood exactly what he was saying.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    condescending-question.gif
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES
    I love my weights....way more fun and exciting than just cardio in my opinion!!!!!
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    I have never seen more adults get worked up over things as I do on MFP general message boards. I'm a grown up lady but I don't care if you call me girl. I say things like "the girls at work" all the time. They are also grown ups but they don't get offended either.

That said, I've tried the heavy lifting programs spouted ad nauseum on these boards and I also found them boring. I didn't find it overly thrilling to lift heavier, not enough to keep carving time out of my already busy schedule to keep doing it. I mostly just do body weight exercises. I prefer cardio as it tends to lower my blood sugar levels more than weight lifting.

I think this is a good topic, though. I think a lot of women come to these threads, whether or not they post, wondering about strength training and come away with a new program and then a new love for fitness. This is a good thing. Just check the "girls" only strength training groups. I have a feeling a lot of people would like to learn more but don't post because of the "we all KNOW that dummy" vibes that get thrown around. I appreciate you opening this particular can of worms again. If nothing else, its entertaining.

So you're telling me what I should and shouldn't be offended over?

I didn't tell you anything. I don't even know you. I was making an observation about the OP that boils down to my opinion. Or am I not allowed to have that? Oh, wait, that wasn't what you were saying right? In general, though, life has way too many things to worry about than one person bringing up a topic and using language that may offend some, but doesn't offend others. Just my opinion of course, you're free to get offended but it reflects poorly (again, my opinion) on you, not him. I don't know him, or you, or anyone else around here enough to get offended by a word thrown out, especially when I understood exactly what he was saying.

You haven't been looking very hard. Check out a new parents forum sometime.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    MFPMol wrote: »
    kimhere wrote: »
    All the offense on being called a girl?? I'm sorry but I would not have even thought for that to be offensive.

My thoughts exactly. People these days get "offended" wayyyy to easily!

+1
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    what-the-what.gif

Well this escalated quickly.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I thought it was to start collecting friends.

• QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    marysamezz wrote: »
    Lifting is primarily what I do. When I first started trying to tone up and lose some fat, I would run on the treadmill for 45min-1hr I did this for 3-4x/week for months and saw barely any results. Now I'm working of TDEE, heavy lifting 3x/week and cardio 1-2x/week. And I'm toning up and losing inches, I feel happier and each time I go up in weight in lifting it feels like a great accomplishment. HIIT cardio is also great for women who don't enjoy lifting or think it's boring. (I have that exact problem with cardio). Everyone's preferences are different!

But like you said, its difficult for lifting to make a woman "jacked" or "manly" simply because we don't make enough testosterone for our bodies to accomplish that. I think it's a great addition to a work out plan for women if it's safe for you to do so and you enjoy it :)

Yep, me too. Just started lifting 3 weeks ago. Already seeing results and am loving it.
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    I'm not getting into stupid arguments on the internet, as I said its an observation and a question based on MY experience in various gyms. If people are offended I don't care as that wasn't the intention of the post. Like them or not I'll give my opinions an observations on a different topic next, I haven't done because I wanted to be able to respond to the posts here.

No worries OP. Just wait until some poor uneducated "female" comes along and makes an offhand comment about not wanting to "bulk up." Its like a gazelle running in front of a pack of hungry lions.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Lift all the things. Eat all the food. Enjoy all the results. REPEAT *flexes*
  • Icebunny33
    Options
    I dont lift weights because I am a total newb and wouldnt know what the hell I was doing. I would love to learn though so that I dont injure myself and I acheive my weight loss goals. If the OP is willing to offer up some knowledge or insights on this, I for one, am very interested.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I don't weight train for quite a variety of reasons:

1. I find it extremely boring. I would rather do a whole hour of cardio than weight train for 10 minutes.

2. I don't want to shell out money to build a home gym for something I don't enjoy in the first place. "Girl" gyms in my area don't offer satisfactory weight training options (unless you consider pink dumbbells a good option), and the only mixed gym allows women 8 am - noon. Not a good option for someone who has a job. The closest gym where I could actually work any time I want is a 90 minute drive and extremely expensive. Again, don't want to shell money for something I don't enjoy.

3. I have chronic back issues and need to be very careful. Any wrong movement could leave me in bed for a month. I have gotten used to avoiding movement mistakes, but with weights I will have to find out the hard way, sacrificing a few months every now and then, how to move without consequences. I went through that process for running and it was hell worth it because I love it, but I don't think I'm willing to make the same sacrifices for something I don't like.

4. Did I mention I don't enjoy it?

What sexist place do you live in!? Women can only go for certain hours!? Sheesh, you need to report that place. That's sounds so illegal.

Again, it's the middle east. Many women are Muslim and would not like to be seen by men without their head cover (which they take off in the gym). Where there is demand, there is supply.. and there IS demand for female only gyms. Not all gyms are like that. There are mixed gender gyms, but the ones I have access to are either all-female or operated on equal time splits between men and women (men are not allowed in before noon).

@amusedmonkey I hope you don't mind but I have some questions about Muslim women & the hijab.

Do all the women take it off to workout during the women only time? Or just most?
    I saw a lady at my gym wearing one last week or so, along with long pants & long shirt (I think even a long skirt over the pants). I couldn't help but wonder how hot she must be with all of that on. (but I also wonder how people workout at my gym wearing sweatpants & a t-shirt, I overheat in my tank top and shorts lol)
    I know only a little bit about Islam and this whole thing just fascinates me.
    Do they take off the headcover at home when they're alone with their husbands? (or is that a personal preference/family matter?)

I appreciate your time =]
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    marysamezz wrote: »
    Lifting is primarily what I do. When I first started trying to tone up and lose some fat, I would run on the treadmill for 45min-1hr I did this for 3-4x/week for months and saw barely any results. Now I'm working of TDEE, heavy lifting 3x/week and cardio 1-2x/week. And I'm toning up and losing inches, I feel happier and each time I go up in weight in lifting it feels like a great accomplishment. HIIT cardio is also great for women who don't enjoy lifting or think it's boring. (I have that exact problem with cardio). Everyone's preferences are different!

But like you said, its difficult for lifting to make a woman "jacked" or "manly" simply because we don't make enough testosterone for our bodies to accomplish that. I think it's a great addition to a work out plan for women if it's safe for you to do so and you enjoy it :)

I'd pick weight lifting over cardio any day of the week. The only cardio I enjoy is the kind that involves a lot of physical contact (combat sports and sex lol)
This discussion has been closed.