How do you get rid of toxins?

Options

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

FIFY :bigsmile:

Thank you <3 That's the Super Mega Colon Cleanse killing off all the toxins for ya.

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The reason I started looking into alt-med a few years ago was that I had been diagnosed with lupus and a Facebook friend of mine wanted me to try homeopathy and was also a reiki practitioner.
    What was your experience? What did you think of the claims?
    My thing is this: if you want to trust religion for your healing, fine. But call it religion, not science, because that's what it is.
    I agree. However, when parents resort to faith healing, their children die because of the parent's convictions.

There is science-based medicine - everything else is not.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The reason I started looking into alt-med a few years ago was that I had been diagnosed with lupus and a Facebook friend of mine wanted me to try homeopathy and was also a reiki practitioner.
    My thing is this: if you want to trust religion for your healing, fine. But call it religion, not science, because that's what it is.
    I agree. However, when parents resort to faith healing, their children die because of the parent's convictions.

I thought it sounded ridiculous. Thankfully sciencebasedmedicine.org was one of my first stops when looking into it.

I agree with you re: parents of children choosing alt-med. Adults can make decisions for themselves, even if those decisions are detrimental. Children are another matter entirely.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am always a little leary of alternative methods, but some of it is pretty interesting. I am a fan of massage and chiropractic. I have recently tried rolfing and have experienced some relief from a shoulder injury. Meh, I don't know...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I want everyone to know I just cleared out some toxins.

I feel a couple pounds lighter.
    Options

I thought it sounded ridiculous. Thankfully sciencebasedmedicine.org was one of my first stops when looking into it.
    Such a great website. It had died down for awhile and then it was revived and Orac (David Gorski) posts on there with some frequency and if you bore of that site, check out Steve Novella's Neurologica blog too (he posts on sbm) - good stuff there.
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Amitysk wrote: »
    I am always a little leary of alternative methods, but some of it is pretty interesting. I am a fan of massage and chiropractic. I have recently tried rolfing and have experienced some relief from a shoulder injury. Meh, I don't know...
    The industry of Alt+Med has been going away from that label.. "Complimentary medicine." Yeah as if.

Sorry, but you are really wasting your time at the chiropractor - bones cannot just be "adjusted" and "subluxations" resist any sort of falsification in the lab and have never been observed. Best to see a physical therapist or just go to the massage.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I want everyone to know I just cleared out some toxins.

I feel a couple pounds lighter.

You should have done a before and after weigh in
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure "toxins" means in this context. I hear the phrase but I'm not sure what its referring to. Sugar is a toxin to me (yes it is, don't bother arguing, it can kill me = toxin) but I just eat very minimal amounts.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "Flushing out toxins", its a load of BS. It doesn't mean anything. Any toxic substances within your body, your body deals with naturally.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I'm not even sure "toxins" means in this context. I hear the phrase but I'm not sure what its referring to. Sugar is a toxin to me (yes it is, don't bother arguing, it can kill me = toxin) but I just eat very minimal amounts.

Anything is a toxin if you only consider whether "it can kill me" without accounting for dosage. Water can kill you if you drink enough of it it a short enough time period.
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Amitysk wrote: »

Yeah, chiropractic. http://whatstheharm.net/chiropractic.html and this doesn't count the surgical repair to my abdominal wall after a chiropractor "manipulated" my back.
  • scott3609
    scott3609 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laughs and learning of toxins. :)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Anything is a toxin if you only consider whether "it can kill me" without accounting for dosage. Water can kill you if you drink enough of it it a short enough time period.

I'm diabetic, which is why I made the sugar reference. The other "toxins" being referred to, I have no idea what they are, why they need removed, or how they got there.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Your body naturally gets rid of toxins...that's the whole point of having a liver and kidneys. Just drink lots of water and you'll be fine.
  • KimF84
    KimF84 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    You bumped your thread from 4 years ago?!
    good lord, this whole thread.

^^^What she said^^^
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I'm diabetic, which is why I made the sugar reference. The other "toxins" being referred to, I have no idea what they are, why they need removed, or how they got there.

Gotcha. I thought you might be referring to a medical issue, but when you said don't bother arguing, I thought you were bringing up the endless "sugar is the debil" debate.
  • Stim100986
    Options
    Aww. I feel bad for the OP. She's nt the first nor the last to get the whle "toxin" thing. Notice that she got other people to tell her how to get rid of them. It is kinda wild that no one has explained that they aren't a real thing in the past three years, but I wish we could have delivered the message less... harshly.
  • leahsunstar
    leahsunstar Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes, I know I'm responding to a post written 4 years ago, but I've been doing a lot of research for my own personal well-being lately and have discovered so much great info I'd like to share. :smiley:

I've learned that raw undistilled apple cider vinegar has amazing health benefits, including detoxing the liver and kidneys which are the organs that filter all of the bad stuff out of your body. I add about a teaspoon/cap full to my 24oz water bottle every morning, along with a couple of drops of doTerra lemon essential oil (this brand is therapeutic food grade; safe for ingestion and very beneficial). The combo tastes like strong lemon water once you get used to it.

I've also recently learned that the goopy quality of the aloe plant (and also from crushed chia seeds that are soaked in water) is amazing for detoxifying. The gel from these natural sources clings to toxins within your G.I. tract and pulls them along and out, instead of allowing them to be reabsorbed by the intestines. They're virtually tasteless and are a perfect addition to smoothies.

If you have a Netflix account, I recommend watching a documentary called "Hungry for Change" ... It is a wealth of information on natural weight loss and detoxification. It made me feel like there is hope for me again! There is also a website of the same name if you can't access the video (or in addition to) with loads of wonderful health-related articles. I wish the very best of luck to anyone who reads this!
    Options

At least you defined what the particular "toxin" was to your particular case. Might be a bit hyperbolic, but, yeah.

With all the SCAM crap... there is no coherent definition - just sounds "scary."
This discussion has been closed.