40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks you all for the congratulations. Can't wait to get back there this Sunday. Will be staying for the week to help out. In other exciting grandmother news, I will have Esme all weekend! this is a first! She told me she wants to sleep in a tent, so a tent it is. I do plan to take her out snowshoeing whether she likes it or not. Little monkey. We bought her snowshoes for Christmas and when I asked her if she has used them, her reply was "No. I don't like them. They're not skiis." lol. She doesn't ski either! So, we are going to break those snowshoes in this weekend...we'll just walk along the beach shore, which is covered in some pretty deep snow, but not so much she won't be able to do it.

Curled last night. The bad news was I had to skip, so no sweeping workout. The good news...we won! :D

Attempted a cleanse day yesterday - major fail.......AGAIN! I decided I do better when I just eat sensibly, each day. UGH. Not sure why I can't do them anymore, I used to do them weekly for years. I probably ended up consuming more calories at the end of the day had I just had my protein shake and meals. :disappointed:

Still very cold here and getting snow on the one day here and there that it warms up. I am getting tired. The cold just wears you down. At least if it is milder, it's easier to get out the door to do stuff. One would think with all the time I spend shivering, I would be burning extra calories. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Time to get back to work. Have a good day all.

• KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Sdereski~ Congratulations!!! So fun!

Glad to see everyone doing well!

Curious- I did join the biggest loser contest at work. It's not anything like the show- we do the initial weigh in and then we are on our own for workouts and eating until the final weigh-ins in April. Just hoping it gives me the jump start I need to really get back on track- feel like I am half on the train and half off.

I took Jacob to see Hubby yesterday! He was so awesome! and had a great time visiting with his PawPaw! Hubby cried when we left, but my daughter-in-law will be back up that way in about a week and a half and will be taking the little guy for another visit.
    I did my biometric screening at work today. We have to do it every year for a discount on our health insurance, but this year it was basically manditory in order to be covered next year- even for spouses. Most of my numbers were very good. I am still not happy with my BMI or my weight. More reason to keep pressing on!

Did not have to shovel again today- three days in a row with no shoveling- it's a miracle! That will probably end today though- There is a lake effect snow watch for my area starting tonight. Fortunately I don't live right on Lake Ontario- I am about 17 miles from the lake- they are supposed to get dumped on over the next few days.

Here are a few pics of my yard to leave you with! Have a great day all!

This is my front yard
    tqtjd3oh9r9u.jpg

This is my back yard
    t630smzargpn.jpg

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day Cool Kids!
    KS, the snow looks beautiful! But I get that you and Sdereski and Caramel are probably getting pretty tired of it.
    Here on the left coast we're having a weird warm streak. It's been in the mid-sixties, and forecasted to stay that way for the forseeable future. Nice, but not good for the redwoods or the reservoirs.
    Sdereski, I'm so excited for you! I LOVE babies -- especially other people'l LOL -- You must be in heaven. I'm sure Esme will love the snow shoes when she gets going.
    Caramel, having that metabolic info is great. So, you need to eat more of your exercise calories than you have been? The eat more to weigh less strategy always makes me nervous, but I understand the physiology. What's your plan?
    Beeps, I sure hope that throat was a passing alergy or something, and that you're staying well.
    Psbeard, start with a good cookbook! Get the kids involved!
    Alisha, go for al dente legs today!
    Alf, I'm so with you! Same darn pounds up & down for the last 3-4 years. The logging, as time-consuming as it can be, is about the only thing that really works for me. That, and a fair amount of deprevation and hard work LOL :# This group helps too!
    Dice, as a former athlete, you know how to follow a training program. Set it up for yourself now, and stick with us for support. You're already on the way!
    Jakie, haha. You got walked!
    FEves, your routine shows amazing dedication to yourself. Awesome!
    Syli, Antigua! Cool. What will you do there?

Hello to all the other cool kids as you check in, and welcome newbies.

Got to ride my bike in this morning. Gym this eve. My gf is going with me, so that will be fun. I am finally seeing some positive feedback from the scale. Sometimes it feels like turning an ocean liner around! But we're around, and headed for less round.

Have a great day everyone!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Cool Kids.

Sorry I have been AWOL lately, but I have been super busy. There is so much going on here. New grand-babies, visits from grand-kids, killer snow pictures, human walking dogs, education goals being met, many good health and fitness choices and much more than I don't have time to reply to.

I spent yesterday planting the longleaf seedlings. Or rather I drove the tractor while my BIL did the planting. We had a big rain the night before and it was too wet, but it was the only day mine and the BIL's schedule meshed. And we worked in a cold drizzle all day long. The dirt was too wet to pack, so I have to get down there and walk the rows and pack the dirt around every tree with my feet. And it is cold here {for Florida} today. Sunday is the next day we have where we can finish the trees. And more rain is forecast then, so we may be working in the rain again.

With me riding the tractor, then having a late night cleanup at work, I had a huge calorie burn. And even with all day snacking and a big supper, I lost almost 2 pounds. I'm down to 170.3, a new low for me. My eat more, workout less plan is not doing the job. I guess I will have to have a slice of chocolate cake everyday, strictly for my health of course.

Got to run. The wind will be picking up this afternoon, and our high temp of 54F will be come and gone before you know it.

Hope all are having a good day,

Larro

PS: BIL riding the tree planter.

11c73a7weo9w.jpg
  • RonnieTiajuana
    RonnieTiajuana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I want to be part of the group. 42 and need all the motivation I can get!
  • larrodarro
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I forgot to mention I have a new Grand-nephew on the way. Sister flew out to Denver to be with her daughter, and I just heard they are all on the way to the hospital now.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You are all so busy, grandbabies (good grief! I CANNOT even think about that just yet....my youngest kidlets are still 12, and 13!), commutes, weather stuff....

REMEMBER TO LIFT HEAVY!

That is RULE #1.

Soooooooooo, I DID lift heavy yesterday, and I will go to on-site gym, today, for a lift-heavy session, too.

I have to decide if I should keep up with the split-day workouts, or go back to a full-body routine. Aaaaaaaaggggghhhhhh, TODAY may not be the day to decide that!! Which means, it will be a split day (SQUATS = WHT, for me!!!!!!!!!!!)

BOOM!
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just caught up with y'all so busy! We've had water leaking from snow on the roof so MFP and other things were on hold. The snow in my front yard is chest deep. I am 5'4" and had to wade in to use a borrowed roof rake to relieve the roof. My husband was up top shoveling off the back roof. We seem to have halted the leaks for now. Next up is trying to make some channels in the ice dams so water can drain.
    I'll be traveling Friday so we're trying to solve these issues now!
    Congratulations to all who are holding steady. I am hovering within a range of 2 pounds so not so bad. All the snow / cold at least is burning up my extra cold weather comfort calories.
    Stay safe everyone - those in the south with the ice and those up north with the snow. Those in Europe - I am sorry I have no idea about your winter, we've been locally focused with storm after storm here.
  • joann1166
    joann1166 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please add me, I want to join. I need some inspiration.
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hello All, I have been checking in and reading just have not had much to post. I am hanging in there and trying to find a balance. I hit it really hard in January and then February started off a little rough, I was looking for the quick fix. Settled down and focusing on getting more movement and trying to make good food choices. I staying off the scale as it was p****** me off and figured I am going to focus on the long haul. If I make good decisions I will eventually get somewhere but checking in once a week on the scale was making me feel worse.

CONGRATULATIONS SEDERSKI! you will have to send us a pic of the new baby.

Caramel - great job on the body composition test! I am glad you were able to get some valuable information to help you push on.

Larro - I am about to start my inside seeds here soon for my garden. I starting heirloom tomatoes this year, will also be starting some King Arthur green pepper seeds. It will be nice to see something grow (hopefully) :D

Hello to everyone else also, I will check back later.
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    does anyone have a tip for posting pictures on here? I have a phone I can take pics with and upload if possible. I tried a long time ago and did not have any luck. With the new format is it easier. Larro? I know you must have some tips....
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well I managed to drag my butt out of bed at 5:30 to hit up 6am kettlebell. I always feel better for going. I've changed my calorie goal to 2000, trying to use the TDEE-15%. Hoping that will get some downward movement on the scales.

Our snow is too hard to shovel anymore. We currently have pillars on either side of the driveway and it's a bit of a job to back the van in! The kids got seeds for valentines and my husband just wants to plant them outside when it's warm enough but I think we need to start them inside first. We won't be clear of frost until May at least (southern Ontario).

I wish I could swing the time and money for a gym membership on top of the kettlebell/kickboxing membership, I'd like to try just weight lifting. Kettlebell is good for weight lifting/core work, but it might be nice to change it up.

Congrats on the new grandbaby Sederski! I'm getting excited about our first who is due any day now. Looking for to baby snuggles, I miss them! Though my youngest is only 5 so realistically it's not that long ago.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Cool Kids!! Haven't been around much the past few days. We had to do a few things with our daughter that kept me from really logging on much. She developed pneumonia and was admitted for a couple of days. She is doing better now and has gone back to school (pre-k, but she is happy about it). It has been a challenge to keep logging in and making sure I log all my foods and get in some exercise. Just working to keep it up and watch some of this stuff get off me!
    Glad to see the grandbaby news! I have two of them myself and they are just too much!! Enjoy them!
    Hope everyone is doing well. I am sure I will get to know most of you sooner or later. Looks like we have a lot of folks dealing with snow. I am in Texas, so we don't see that much. Lovely pictures of it though.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi ruby and 3furballs!

....and hi to the drive-by newbies....ya know you can come back and actually POST, right?!?!?!?

Anyway, I got my workout in. I have decided to return to Phase 2 of the Venus Index workout....my memory tells me that, 2 years ago, when I first tried that particular Phase of VI, I actually got AWESOME upper-body results. Sooooooooo, since bare-arms are on the spring/summer horizon, I am going to repeat Phase 2.

I think this is my 4th or 5th time repeating it....it is FULL-BODY. Took me 70 minutes today, with a decent stretch/roll at the end. I might have to skinny that down to 60 minutes to keep myself happy. Which I can do by simply dropping to 2 sets from the current 3 sets written into the program.

So, it is decided! I will say "bye-bye" to the split-days bodybuilding.com workouts I have been doing since Xmas and will repeat something that I know works FOR ME.

BOOM!
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have to ask, to everyone in general, what do you aim for calorie wise per day? I keep flip flopping between aiming for the 1300 MFP tells me, logging all my exercise and then of course eating back those calories (or I'd be at like 600 net calories) or using my TDEE and deduct 15% which is about 2200 (but I've set my goal for 2000 as I'm scared to go as high as 2200) and not logging the calories burned in exercise every day as it's already accounted for.

I lost 55lbs from 2009-2010 (after my third and last baby) using the unofficial weight watchers (got the info and did it myself). I've held steady for 5 years and just over the last 6 months have gained. I did go from 135lbs to 137/138 over time, but figure that was due to kettlebell/kickboxing and muscle building. I still fit in a 4/6 and was happy. Over the last 6 months I've packed on 10lbs and I'm not happy about it, my pants are getting tight and it sucks! I worry that it's predominantly hormones as I'm premenopausal and I think there is much I can do to change that, that plus over indulging in December have put me up to 148lbs. So I'm tinkering with my calorie goal to figure out what will help me lose the weight. Any suggestions? I work out 6 days a week, fairly intense kickboxing on the heavy bag 4 times a week and kettlebell 3 times a week and walking 30 minutes to work 5 days a week. Other than that it's a desk job.

Sorry if I've asked this before, I'm sitting here just trying to figure it out. I've only just started the TDEE-15% so obviously no change yet.
  • alishaspringle
    alishaspringle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey, y'all - I love the al dente legs phrase!! I'm going to work out for al dente body parts from now on.

And - it's time to do so. See you later, C kids.
  • larrodarro
    Options
    ruby70 wrote: »
    does anyone have a tip for posting pictures on here? I have a phone I can take pics with and upload if possible. I tried a long time ago and did not have any luck. With the new format is it easier. Larro? I know you must have some tips....

Yes, it is much easier now. Just click on the picture icon {the thing just above that looks like a sheet of paper}, click on choose files, then go to where your pictures are stored in your phone or laptop, then select the picture you want. If you want to practice away from the lime light I have a thread for that.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10013081/testing-1-2-3#latest

Good luck,

Larro
  • larrodarro
    Options
    I have decided it is time for a new job. I think I'm going into modeling outdoor wear. This afternoon while I was planting skips in the longleaf pines I was sporting gear from Columbia Sportswear, Carhartt and Walls. And that was just the outerwear. Looking at my hair, I see I need sponsorship from a hat company too.

1ar3mggklyip.jpg

• Beeps2011
    Options
    It is pretty near impossible for a woman to put on 3 lbs of muscle in a year.....don't believe the hype!!

I know serious bodybuilding women who can't do that!!!

Sooooo, most poundage increase (in women....) is FAT. Pure and simple.

Eating back calories (from "exercise") is waaaaayyyyy too imprecise, for me. I never do that!

I aim for 1,400 cals per day, when trying to lose poundage. 1,600-1,700 has me maintaining. And i am 5'9" tall!!

I get very few calories next to my 6'3" husband. I blame testosterone....and surely wish women produced TONS more!!!
  • karla3012
    karla3012 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would like to join. Im 42 and lost 7.2kgs need to lose another 10.thanks