No time for exercising

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You know, my Fitbit tells me I burn much more calories when I'm moving around the house than I do with official exercise. fit in 10 minutes of exercise 2-3 times a day, it's not hard. If it is hard, fit in one 10 minute session but make changes to the way you move around. Be inefficient and go back and forth when doing stuff. Believe it or not, when I don't make a recipe I know or from my phone and just keep going back and forth between the room my desktop is in to check steps and ingredients I clock 1000-3000 extra steps just doing that, which translates to calories. When tending the horses for example, go for the brush, brush them, then go back for something else, and so on... don't have all your stuff ready and near. Like I said, just be a bit inefficient, it really helps.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    So your horses are not exercise? Do you not ride, muck stalls, lift haybales or feed sacks. Not sure what type of horses you have but even mounting and dismounting is exercise. Maybe do it a few more times while you are there. From the off side too so you work both your sides (and your horse's) equally. If you don't lift the feed sacks, or hay bales, maybe take 5 minutes to move one 30 ft. If it is not your farm, and it sounds like it is not, don't forget to take 5 minutes to move those items back. Cleaning hooves is exercise, as is vigorous grooming. Carry a water bucket, etc. Saddle your horse, Unsaddle him, Saddle the other one. It all counts as exercise.

^^This. That's exercise. Maybe not "organized" exercise, but hard labor if this is an accurate depiction of you caring for your horses, OP.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Be efficient.
    What do you do during breaks and lunch at school? How do you get there?
    Can you do homework on the bus or at lunch and free up time in the evening?
    What do you do on the weekends?
    Do you watch TV?
    Is there downtime when you are with the horses?
    Body weight exercises can be done at home to save time and require minimal equipment and still build muscle.

I always felt like I didn't have time. I work full time, have a kid, do all the cooking and they majority of the housework because my husband works even longer than I do. But I spent the time after my daughter went to be as "me time" in front of the TV. Now, I go to the gym at 9 pm, and my "me time" is there.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    FredMikmik wrote: »
    I wake up at 6 and have to be at school 730 til 5 and then I go straight to my horses and end at 8. The problem is I also got homework. But ok I guess I just need to get up earlier or go to bed late...
    I'm sorry but how old are you.

You read my mind. Even though profile says 35, this sounds like a HS schedule.
  • FredMikmik
    FredMikmik Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So your horses are not exercise? Do you not ride, muck stalls, lift haybales or feed sacks. Not sure what type of horses you have but even mounting and dismounting is exercise. Maybe do it a few more times while you are there. From the off side too so you work both your sides (and your horse's) equally. If you don't lift the feed sacks, or hay bales, maybe take 5 minutes to move one 30 ft. If it is not your farm, and it sounds like it is not, don't forget to take 5 minutes to move those items back. Cleaning hooves is exercise, as is vigorous grooming. Carry a water bucket, etc. Saddle your horse, Unsaddle him, Saddle the other one. It all counts as exercise.

Not it's not my stable and there's some people who take care of the horses so I only have to ride my horses. The problem is I'm really unmuscular and it makes me get injured really fast
  • FredMikmik
    Options
    I wake up at 6 and have to be at school 730 til 5 and then I go straight to my horses and end at 8. The problem is I also got homework. But ok I guess I just need to get up earlier or go to bed late...

I'm 18 :) sorry for my English It's not my first language
  • futurecowvet
    futurecowvet Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Before college I cared for my two horses every day and they were the best way to maintain weight and workout. I did ride almost every day but when I got my 2nd horse it was because I had outgrown my other so I didn't ride her that much but I still wanted to keep her in shape so I found other things for her to do.

Some of the things I did were... (some of these are weekend type things, others are everyday)
    1) Ditch the wheelbarrow and buy some sleds when they go on sale. My horses live outside year round so trying to get a wheelbarrow through mud and snow wasn't working too well, so my parents gave me an old plastic sled. You learn pretty quick what it's like when you overfill it because your rushing but dragging the sled is a pretty decent workout (especially when you stubbornly try to fit everything into one load). Add in dragging it through mid calf muck that sucks your boots down and it's an even better workout.

2) Take somebody for a walk. If I got home and it was too dark for a ride I'd go take one of my horses (or both) on a walk (usually whoever was lucky enough to stay loose would follow along if I stayed in the pasture). It's a great way to work on ground manners with them as well or some other issue you're having. My retired horse HATES water and so I'd always grab her, walk to the end of the pasture where there's a stream that cuts through and we'd traipse through the water for an hour.

3) Stop calling them to the gate. This was my weakness, I'd stand at the gate and shake a bucket of grain and get the horses to run to the gate rather than walking out in the pasture to get them. Once I started making myself walk out there (or I should say once my newer horse started making me) I had another way to get some exercise (that and my pony LOVES to wait for you to go get her before turning and running for the barn and then proceeds to wait for you at the gate before turning around and heading all the way back down the other end of the pasture where she will then let you put her halter on (we fixed that).

4) Hay bales are great weights. I don't know what your situation is but my family does all our own hay and sells it and usually if someone came and picked it up off the field/helped us with harvest they'd get a price break. Tossing 50# bales in the sun for a couple days helps to shed some pounds.

5) Volunteering to walk the fence also makes people very happy and can be good exercise, plus it makes you feel good because you're keeping your horses safe. Again, I'd usually grab one of the horses, saddle them up and then get the fencing bag rigged up on the saddle so I didn't have to carry it and then I lead my horse. Our fence was done on stone walls in places so I would usually have a long lead rope, let my horse walk on the grass while I walked on the stone wall for a stretch.

Again some of these things take some time and trust between your horse and you but after a while your horses figure out what you're doing and it becomes the normal. I went home in December and walked the fence by myself and every time I turned around my horses were following me. If I stopped to work on a stretch they'd stop and graze and then I'd walk off and I'd hear them running to catch up.

I believe the magazine Practical Horseman has some little barn exercises that hey provide every month and they usually use typical barn items. If you've got a great relationship with one or both of your horses and they love learning you can try teaching them liberty work as well. I started doing this with my Thoroughbred and that usually left me flopped down on the grass trying to catch my breath because he could pick up on things and respond so quickly I was usually left running to catch up/stay one step ahead.
  • FredMikmik
    Options
    Thank you everyone I have 5 horses I need to ride everyday so it's not that I'm making excuses not to workout. The problem is I don't have time to do a 1 hour workout since I need 8 hours sleep to function. I was more asking for some exercises that don't take a lot of time but are effective
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Then why does your profile say 35? :huh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So you have 2 hours between 8 and 10 (if you need 8 hours sleep and get up at 6). Spend an hour on home work, half an hour working out and half an hour in front of the tv before bed, simples.
  • FredMikmik
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

That^^

Sorry I just made this profile and it was a mistake I just fixed it
  • FredMikmik
    edited March 2015
    Options

So you have 2 hours between 8 and 10 (if you need 8 hours sleep and get up at 6). Spend an hour on home work, half an hour working out and half an hour in front of the tv before bed, simples.

I have 3 hours of homework everyday but I could probably try and do it fast and do 30 min
  • randomtai
    Options

That^^

yeah_sure_jon_hamm.gif
  • FredMikmik
    Options

That^^

It would be nice if you could help me instead of focusing on my age I don't see the relevance :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I have 3 hours of homework everyday

So when do you do 3 hours if you are in bed for 10?
  • randomtai
    Options
    2z3t0gj.jpg
  • FredMikmik
    Options

That^^

yeah_sure_jon_hamm.gif

I don't see the need for this I'm trying to get some help it would be nice if you could help me with some exercises and not posting irrelevant stuff
  • FredMikmik
    Options

I have 3 hours of homework everyday

So when do you do 3 hours if you are in bed for 10?

It's supposed to take 3 hours but I get it done in 2-2,5 hours