"Can't you just be normal?"

Options

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am appalled and disheartened that there is something resembling a debate going on about what is clearly disordered behavior and by the misrepresentation of the facts by those who are arguing that there is not a problem. This thread is not one of MFP's finest moments.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    You guys are arguing over something ridiculous. It doesn't matter how often the boyfriend eats out, or how little the OP does. It doesn't matter if she counts calories or started too young and it doesn't matter how old she is.

The OP said (her own words):
    Nouurann wrote: »
    I know I don't have a healthy relationship with food

That, IMO, is entirely enough reason for her to talk to someone.

Because I'm looking at everything she wrote in context, not just one sentence. We're all familiar with the freshman 15 and relationship weight gain. She's in the "before" stage, being made to feel like there's something wrong with her because of only eating a couple meals a month outside of her home. I just don't see the point of wasting a professional's time. If anyone needs to see one, it's the boyfriend: a chef. For some cooking lessons. And also her boyfriend and friends need to find other things to do for fun rather than stuffing their faces and waist lines. They could AVOID being an MFP "before" story altogether

That's just absolutely ridiculous. The boyfriend needs to seek professional help because he eats out a lot and doesn't cook? Who are you to decide if her boyfriend and his friends she "waste" time eating out? You are making assumptions about a relationship that you have no clue about and you know how that's making you look.

Yeah? Learn to boil a dang egg or something? If one of the two is abnormal, damn straight it's the person who eats no meals at home, NOT the person eating out twice a month. I may be forgetting my own posts but I don't believe I've said anything about wasting time... However if you're missing out on time with your friend / girlfriend because she doesn't want to eat excessively calorie dense foods all the time, maybe find out what *she* likes to do and go out and explore those interests, not just get frustrated that she won't eat out with you three meals a day

What makes it abnormal to eat out so much? Because you say so? Who told you that you make life's decisions on what is normal and what isn't? I eat at least 2 of my meals every day outside of my home, that's normal for me so who are you to say it's abnormal.

Also, who cares what they are ordering? What difference does it make?

Ya know what kid? I've used the word "IF" twice. As is typical for our conversations, we're going nowhere. Sorry I bothered. Have a nice day

The cutest part if your comment is you call me kid, when I'm actually older than you. And also you're making rules and judging other people's relationship like a normal adult wouldn't.

I know. I mean, No one EVER called an old guy "kid". Again, will freely admit to filling in the blanks based on my knowledge, experience, and biases. The OP can confirm or deny any assumptions made. Personally I think that's part of what makes discussions fun. Are you having any? :)

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I am appalled and disheartened that there is something resembling a debate going on about what is clearly disordered behavior and by the misrepresentation of the facts by those who are arguing that there is not a problem. This thread is not one of MFP's finest moments.

You must be new.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    jenlo1971 wrote: »
    Ok. Are you here to gain weight? Then you must have an unhealthy relationship with food if you are underweight. Maybe you are here just to get in better shape? If you are at a healthy weight why are you obsessing over tracking all your calories?
    Lol, someone doesn't get it

Please refer to the OP. The answer to that question is there.
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok. Are you here to gain weight? Then you must have an unhealthy relationship with food if you are underweight. Maybe you are here just to get in better shape? If you are at a healthy weight why are you obsessing over tracking all your calories?

I don't get what? That all of you are making assumptions about this young lady that you don't know? That someone could look at any one of us and think we are abnormal for various reasons? I am guessing that most of you are not licensed professionals so to talk of diagnosis at all is not really within your scope of knowledge.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    I think multiple people are also wondering why the boyfriend can't be normal and eat a lot of meals at home like "normal" people. Not being able to take leftovers home seems abnormal. Not going grocery shopping seems abnormal. So...what about him too?

monikker wrote: »
    I think multiple people are also wondering why the boyfriend can't be normal and eat a lot of meals at home like "normal" people. Not being able to take leftovers home seems abnormal. Not going grocery shopping seems abnormal. So...what about him too?

100% agree!!
    Who's to say how many times day or a week is at home is normal? One of my closest friends eats dinner out every night and if not he orders. I personally will eat 2 meals, sometimes 3 meals out per day. That's normal for me.

It's more a question to be asked to the person screaming that his girlfriend is abnormal than anyone else. Like if he thinks she's abnormal, what's so damn normal about eating every single meal out - relatively speaking. I do purchase a lot of meals, too, but I wouldn't call coworkers who prefer to brown bag it, or turn down lunch outings with us abnormal

LOL so heated and what your talking about is not even the issue at hand.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    You guys are arguing over something ridiculous. It doesn't matter how often the boyfriend eats out, or how little the OP does. It doesn't matter if she counts calories or started too young and it doesn't matter how old she is.

The OP said (her own words):
    Nouurann wrote: »
    I know I don't have a healthy relationship with food

That, IMO, is entirely enough reason for her to talk to someone.

Because I'm looking at everything she wrote in context, not just one sentence. We're all familiar with the freshman 15 and relationship weight gain. She's in the "before" stage, being made to feel like there's something wrong with her because of only eating a couple meals a month outside of her home. I just don't see the point of wasting a professional's time. If anyone needs to see one, it's the boyfriend: a chef. For some cooking lessons. And also her boyfriend and friends need to find other things to do for fun rather than stuffing their faces and waist lines. They could AVOID being an MFP "before" story altogether

That's just absolutely ridiculous. The boyfriend needs to seek professional help because he eats out a lot and doesn't cook? Who are you to decide if her boyfriend and his friends she "waste" time eating out? You are making assumptions about a relationship that you have no clue about and you know how that's making you look.

Makes her look like a comedian.

• imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You look skinny to me, just tone and excersize to gain back the calories you ate from being outside.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Not here to lose weight. So, try again.

You must be new here.

I'm in maintenance. I'm here for the fitness advice and to make sure I hit my macro counts.

Not new. Bro-science and similar nonsense comes with the territory.. Cheerleading for disordered behavior is another.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I don't get what? That all of you are making assumptions about this young lady that you don't know? That someone could look at any one of us and think we are abnormal for various reasons? I am guessing that most of you are not licensed professionals so to talk of diagnosis at all is not really within your scope of knowledge.

When the OP admits to an unhealthy relationship with food, anxieties, and obsessions ... the resulting posts to her are not based on assumptions.
  • yopeeps025
    edited March 2015
    Options

When the OP admits to an unhealthy relationship with food, anxieties, and obsessions ... the resulting posts to her are not based on assumptions.

Pretty much.

But I thought the issue is why does the boyfriend eat out all the time. I cannot believe someone even brought that up as an issue. Even better the boyfriend should be seeking a chef and therapist. I must be in the
    giphy.gif

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP get a new boyfriend.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Pretty much.

But I thought the issue is why does the boyfriend eat out all the time. I cannot believe someone even brought that up as an issue. Even better the boyfriend should be seeking a chef and therapist. I must be in the
    giphy.gif

Sometimes I feel to lazy to make my bacon and eggs in the morning so I go and buy bacon and eggs on a roll. Brb....seeking out therapy.

Stop stuffing your face and get a professional chef for your issues!!!!! :laugh:
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I just wasted 15 minutes of my life (that I'll never get back) reading this ridiculous thread.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    JSurita2 wrote: »
    I can't believe I just wasted 15 minutes of my life (that I'll never get back) reading this ridiculous thread.

Well who fault is that?
This discussion has been closed.