Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    @Tlh- scrabble with kiddo and talking with BFF is a good way to end your day.
    @Niki- Good luck at the doctor, my mom is a colon cancer survivor of 10yrs. She is currently has cancer again and going chemo. You are in my prayers
    @kah- I hope the bad weather stops for you soon. They haven’t started laying off yet but we were told it covers all departments. Best wishes on the heath results.
    @Tanya- Way to stay away from the fast food

AFM- I made the mistake of stepping on the scale this morning. I thought I was doing good drinking 10 glasses of water, making some better choices and getting some good walking in and then scale went up again. My fat and sodium is usually always over no matter how hard I try to stay under because my food choices aren’t always good. I may just have to high of expectations for what the scale should be doing? I didn’t think it would move much but never thought it would go up. I felt totally defeated like the little fat kid in gym class everyone made fun of…..I know it is in my head and I won’t give up just hate that the scale can make a person feel this way. Plus side is I didn’t eat away my disappointment just had a few tears and moved on.
    I am also choosing not to stress over the layoff’s if it happens it happens the worst part is knowing they will happen over several weeks not just one day.

Side note to all the teacher’s on this forum god bless each of you- I volunteered at Read Across America for Dr. Seuss's bday and read to entire Kindergarten class. Man, I felt like I was in the behavior classroom of the school these kids were so rude and this poor teacher looked like she was at her wits end. She literally said none of them deserved to have a special guest come and read with them because they didn’t know how to show respect. I honestly was thinking in my head “I wonder if she is going to have a drink tonight- for I could really use one and I have only been here an hour”. I was telling my son the story and he said “My kids will go to private school because no one my age wants to be a teacher, we know how bad the classroom is.” I reminded him private school cost a butt load of money so he may not have a choice.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Check in for today:

1. At or under calories 6/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average. 4/5

2. Walk at least 6 times per week, at least 3 miles each walk. 3/5

3. Note daily calories and miles in calendar and weight on Thursday morning. 5/5

4. Check in here every day if only to read the posts and keep current on the thread. 5/5

2015 Mantras:

Live like someone left the gate open (Live Joyously)
    Persevere

• mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Okay, it is back to basics for me. I have been reading the posts everyday and then that is about it; no posting, sloppy logging, occasional exercise. I am going to focus on one thing and one thing only for now and that is calories. As the weather gets better and I get outside more I am sure activity will increase as I simply like being out there and just walking to the mailbox will be a pleasure and about a 1/4 of a mile (yes we have a LONG driveway).
    I think @Tanya hit on something with posting her daily "no fast food today" post. To be so focused is a good place to start and my focus is to be under or at calories EVERY DAY.
    If I can get more activity in that day and eat more that is great; if not, I will stop eating. I doubt I will blow away any time soon for lack of food.
    @Everyone As I said I have been reading your posts and they do keep me going and I appreciate all of what each of you say. I don't have time just now for personals, but I will get to that. So many of you deserve a pat on the back for so much.

Thanks for listening.
    Barb (mountmary)

Day is half over and calories about half gone.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth. I am really struggling right now. My attempt to log everything over the last few days has made me realize that my sloppy logging has also reflected sloppy food choices. I can't really put my finger on any one thing. I don't do fast food, soda, or alcohol. I have just given myself permission to nibble through the day. Its got to stop, now!
    It really helps me to know that I'm not in this alone. Thanks for being here.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • mountmary84
    Options
    @Kaye Exactly! I know exactly what you just said. I get tired of cooking so grab something dumb, then don't know how to account for it, so guess. I thought of you just now when I did actually walk to the mailbox. It will get better right? I am SOOOO out of shape and the downhill part of that walk just plain hurts, but it is rather nice out there, all of 12º but the sun is shining and it is not windy. I will do it again now that the driveway is dry and clear of snow and ice (we have our nice neighbor to thank for that)
    Barb
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth: Eating hasn’t been the best choices this week, but at least I’m logging it. I haven’t done that in a while so one thing at a time. Right??!! Of course, the other reason for the non-stop munchies and scale not moving is Aunt Flo showed up. I’ll be so glad when she never visits again!!!

Also, thanks for all the great feedback on Cyrus. I’ve been doing most of the things you guys mentioned, but I just need to be consistent. I think many parents thats a big struggle for us, but especially single parents. When you’re trying to play both roles, you have a tendency to over compensate one for the other – nurture vs. discipline. We’ll find a middle ground, but as long as we get this figured out now before high school he’ll be just fine.

@cblue315 – So true about the colonoscopy! Now with that said, I haven’t had one done yet, but I think they recommend 50. My doctor hasn’t mentioned it yet (thank goodness), but 50 is only a few years away!! For something like this, CAPS is OK!!! Also, your mile non-stop gets all caps – WOO HOO!!!!

@Tanya – Accountability is key and you’re doing exactly that. Good for you!! I know how easy they make those stupid drive-thru’s. I’m so proud of you for passing it by!!

@Kah68 – A co worker of mine is in Dallas attending a conference. She said there was about 2” of ice and snow, but was already melting away. Thank goodness! Another vendor in Louisville said they got like 12”, which is a record for them. Snow pictures can be so pretty, but I still don’t like the stuff. I think everyone has spring fever right now that’s for sure. Hopefully, the doctor has a better diagnosis than the quick glance. I know you just want answers.

@Laurie – June 18th? Wow!! Our kids are out before Memorial Day. Do you guys start before or after Labor Day? We also go back like early August so it’s probably a wash. Cyrus’ hormones are definitely in overdrive, but he’s just worried about never having a girlfriend. I keep telling him he has plenty of time, but try not to trivialize it either.

@Hansea – I cleaned a bunch last night and did a few loads of laundry. I despise using my only 2 days off from work to work around the house. I try to get my house work done during the week if I’m not too exhausted so I can truly enjoy my time off.

@Soosun –Good to see you again!!

@Mountmary, @Kaye – HUGS!!!!

I’ve been reading all the posts about the scale. Another reason I want to stay off!! I know I’ll have to weigh myself periodically, but I’m going to only go once a week or maybe once a month. The fluctuations truly drive me bonkers. I think I want to rely on my clothes and overall health than go from there. I’m sure I’ll sneak a peek once in a while, but I cannot let it spin my emotions.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    No fast food today... I even talked myself out of stopping for Subway (not fast food but I've already had my ONE for this week). Its amazing how this actually works. I think about it, then ask myself if I want to post my failure and it's enough to fend off the drive-thru. Hey, whatever works! I am now eating dinner of rice and beef and broccoli stir fry (a frozen steamer bag with my own cooked jasmine rice).

The chiropractor is a truly a miracle worker! I have soooo much less pain today, though I still took my Tramacet just so it wouldn't creep back in towards the end of my work day. I'm more tenderness than pain, from all the manipulation no doubt.

@cblue congrats on your full mile! I am itching to get back to running but am sidelined due to my neck issues, and I don't have a treadmill other than at physio (and I can't use it for more than 10 min since they only have one.) My goal this year is to get into a routine of running 3 days per week and get past the 25 min mark... I can't break that yet, but last April I couldn't even run a full minute.
  • mountmary84
    Options
    Rats! I was over calories by 32 or the cutie I had. I am not too upset with that, but I did say I would not do that. Still, a big improvement over the last few days.
    Thanks @Tanya for inspiring me to confess.

To all of you who saw snow today I hope it melts soon. Spring really will get here.

Barb(Mountmary)
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Susan2396~I think the best thing I did for myself was get endometrial ablation in 2013, no TOM since then! There were medical reasons behind it, but so glad it worked for me. In all I had 3-4" of snow at my place, some areas had just a couple while others had around 7"--luckily the sun returned today and melted most of it (it was still really cold today). I was able to drive into work around 10, during the great melt. :wink: Tomorrow's commute should be much better.

@Tanya949‌~I don't consider Subway fast food--great job so far with your stick-to-it attitude of avoiding the fast food joints.

AFM~I did get my MRI results today, there is a lot going on with my Achilles--bursitis, tendinopathy, tenosynovitis and a partial tear. All mild findings, but put it all together and its a mess. Waiting to hear from my doc to see what's he wants to do. I was also able to visit my friend/co-worker today that is undergoing aggressive chemotherapy--he was tired but looked great. Two more treatments this week, then he'll go home--after two more weeks of injections and blood work he'll be admitted to another hospital for a stem cell transplant (therapy not available when he was diagnosed with this 30-years ago).
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Kah -so much going on with your back heel, almost hard to fathom how they will treat it. I'm guessing immobilization? Surgery seems difficult for that area. Glad you were able to spend time with your friend, and glad he's getting the stem cell transplant.

@Barb,Mountmary -your honesty compels me to be as truthful -
    My failure to conform to my goals make it hard to even compose a post. Haven't done the stairs in a couple of days! Ican't even complain about bad weather, its only been cold, and next week is forcast to be in the 50's or more all 7 days!
    I have a pile-up of things to do at home. I need to get my taxes done - and there is literally several piles of paper on the floor from 2014 that have to be gone thru, and determinations made -toss, taxes, or save.

@CBlue - glad you are feeling good about your situation that makes me feel better for you. Life won't be easy but you are certainly on the right path.

@LaurieK - I used to love shovelling snow such good exercise and the fresh air, plus the reward after of coming in and finding the house just a tad too warm so you get to take off your jacket and your heavy shirt - aahh the good ole days! - still have my shovel in my trunk in case of bad weather just in case. (furiously knockingon wood!)

Did make a nice dinner last nite, though, inspired by @Tanya's remarks about fast food, I fixed a dinner of diced chicken breast, artichoke hearts, mushrooms and brown rice. Bland, but that's me. Have enough for 2 more meals. In fact, better go eat now!
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    @Everyonepostinghere ... thanks for the blessing for my colonoscopy today. Hope your day was all you wanted it to be.

Whoopie ... so glad to have that procedure done with today. The doc removed three polyps and is sending them for analysis ... should have results within 21 days. If all's well, then I don't need to repeat for another 3 years.

@Cblue ... my dad had colon cancer and the surgery for it seemed to go well, but there was some twisting of his small intenstines during the closeup and he went septic, and a lot of other awful stuff. They wouldn't even perform the second surgery until I had his priest come and give him last rites ouside the operating room doors before they would start. He survived through the surgery but spent the rest of his life as a bed-ridden full custodial care inmate in a county nursing home. So we take coloscopies very seriously in this family.

Natch to say that my Thursday Truth involves being hungry and only getting in about 400 calories from low-fat low-sodium chicken broth and maple syrup sweetened lemon tea on Wednesday. Today I made one of my favorite soups ... it has chicken broth, carrots and celery tops, diced tomatoes, mini cheese raviolies and spices. Yumm, Yummm, Yumm.

Follow-through
    Niki
  • mountmary84
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thursday Truth: Time for me to get serious and be honest with myself and all of you about all of this. I simply have gotten really lazy and sloppy about tracking etc as I said before, so that is going to be my main focus for now. I know I can do it and I want to be slimmer for several up coming events. The past two months of doing nothing are not going to get me there, I need to work actively at this and I have been way too passive.

@Tanya I think it was your honesty that really got me going with this line of thinking. Thank you. I sure hope you continue to feel better. I am really glad the new chiropractor is helping. It just is simply no fun to hurt. Incidentally, cute new pix.

@CBlue Good luck with all that is going on in your life. It is wonderful that you continue to be true to yourself with your exercise and eating during all the stressful things you have going on in your life just now. I am sure a lesser woman would have lost motivation there long ago. You are an inspiration.

@Robin It is just so wonderful to see your smiling face again. I hope you continue to heal and recover. You are a wonderful lady and only deserve the best.

@Niki Hope the colonoscopy went well. UGH! We all hate that one, but as Lori said, it is so VERY IMPORTANT to get screened. Thankfully, mine is done for a while now. I am sure the doc will let me know when I need to go next; meanwhile he wants me to go get my mammo. OUCH!

@Mnwalkingqueen Gosh, I hope your job stays put. That is not fun worrying about that along with everything else. I did hear on the news they are doing a lot of closing of stores. I wish you well. I hope the classes this semester are going well. You haven’t mentioned much lately, so I assume that is a positive sign.

All those with kids: My thought is kids don’t get easier with any particular age; they just get different and they do grow up. Enjoy them. Mine of course are grown and gone and lovely adults, but they are still my “babies”. The phases pass. Just remember you are the parent and set the ground rules, be kind but firm etc, etc, Love them.

Keep up all the good work everyone. I do believe we tend to pull one another along. When one slows down someone is doing great and inspires others to follow. I know I would have given up completely long ago if it weren’t for all of you. Thanks. Keep up the good work. Remember, we all have some fun summer clothing we want to get into soon…at least I hope it is soon.

March Challenge:
    Calories under goal: I didn't look, but it isn't many.
    Word for 2015 “TENACITY”

Thanks every one of you for being here.
    Barbara
    Mountmary84
  • soosun
    soosun Posts: 128
    Options
    Checking in tonight after checking in this morning and being away for a few months. Weight has not changed, no surprise there, haha, but legal on foods today and just under limit for calories. A good new beginning and being accountable to me by me. Thanks for listening.
  • mountmary84
    Options
    @soosun great to see you back. Sounds like a good day. Good job not gaining.
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    @susan2396‌ Up here in NH, we won't be getting out til the 23rd. We were supposed to get out June 16 but have had like 5 snow days so far, or more I lost track.
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Sorry no big personals again tonight, but its 10pm and I want to get to bed. One thing with all the workouts I've done this week, I am definitely tired at the end of the day! I'm excited tomorrow is Friday, although I will be pretty busy this weekend also. I really need to get caught up on my laundry, wicked badly!

I like seeing all of the posts about people getting snow and other winter weather. For once we are actually not getting it up here in NH! People in Boston are actually hoping for more snow because I believe we are about 2" from breaking the record of snowiest winter ever. We have like 105" so far... crazy!

I decided I have a new mantra this month to add to my last one. "Don't pace yourself, push yourself!" One of my kickboxing instructors says it all the time. It's a good one for me, because I find that I don't like to get out of my comfort zone and really push myself. When I do things that I don't think I can, I usually am able to. I just have to stop being scared and start pushing myself more.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Susan- We started school the week before Labor Day. Tomorrow, will be our 6th emergency day so we will need to make it up.

Kah/Kelley- Glad you were able to get to work today and that your snow is melting quickly. We had about 6-7 inches today. Schools are closed for tomorrow as well. Good luck with the achilles and other issue in the leg.

Lori- Great job on running the mile, it pays to slow down. It makes things a little easier when running.

Well as I mention above, the snow came and dropped about 6-7 inches over the area. Now the cold air is coming in so it will not melt anytime soon. Next week the temperatures are suppose to be back up in the 50's and the sun will be out.

I hope to climb tomorrow night but may not venture out at night to climb due to the ice. Will have to see how it goes tomorrow, however a snow plow did come down my street tonight. If I don't climb then I will venture out to the gym if it is open.

Have a great Friday.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Niki - so glad the colonoscopy is over! such a sad tale about your father - how old were you when he passed?

@Barb I sure do appreciate you pulling me along <3

@soosun - nice to see you

@ereilly - do you do the spin-type of kicks very often when you kickbox? What's the age/mix/size of your group? I'm just so curious about it. You were talking about being nervous and have your new mantra - and a good one at that!

@LaurieK - hope its not icy tomorrow and your able to get out and get your climb in!

I've been staying up til 3-4 am all week and still getting up by 7-8, and am going to go to be by 12 tonight Well maybe 1. Nite.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Sorry I was MIA the past couple of days. The crazy schedule of meetings during the week and dancing on the weekend finally caught up with me and I got sick. Came down with a touch of stomach flu on Tuesday. Fortunately, the stomach issues were mild (compared to my last hellish experience with norovirus a few years ago) and only lasted a day. However, the fever and weakness was still pretty bad yesterday. I had to go into to work since there were no subs and my boss was already home sick. I managed to get her sub to stay and cover my afternoon classes (she only teaches 2 morning classes), so I came home early and slept the afternoon away. Today I'm feeling much better though not quite 100%.

I'm all caught up on your posts now, and I promised myself I would only do a few personals that stuck in my brain. Will catch up more thoroughly over the weekend.

@lori--WOOHOO for running the mile straight!! I think both laurie and I suggested you slow down--glad it worked for you. :smile:

@susan--I'm not even going to pretend to have any knowledge of those alien creatures they call "middle schoolers"--in fact, I don't want anything to do with kids until they hit 16 or so. In general though, my standard advice to parents of any age is to parent your children rather than befriend them. My observations of literally thousands of teens is that the more of a "friend" mom or dad is, the worse their behavior. I became great friends with my parents when I was in my 20s--prior to that, they were my parents who I loved even when I "hated" them for grounding me or not letting me get away with the crap my friends got away with. But I already know you are a mom to cyrus rather than a "buddy" so I'm preaching to the choir. :wink:

@kelley, laurie, and other who are dealing with crazy weather--stay safe and warm. The thaw has to be coming soon, right?

@holly--your post about wondering if that teacher would need a drink after work made me laugh. Oh, and the answer is yes. I always joke that it's a good thing I waited until I was 30 to start teaching b/c if I had started at 22, I would be a raging alcoholic by now. But if I had to teach kindergartners for even a day, that would probably be my tipping point.

@niki--wnen all of this started almost a year and a half ago, I suggested that my MIL might have something health related causing her behavior, but my DH and SIL feel it's just her typical behavior that has escalated as she's aged. Also, my SIL and MIL went to see a psychologist together, and prior to the first visit, my SIL told the doctor that she wanted her to look for any signs of dementia or any other medical condition that could be causing or exacerbating the behavior. After the first visit the psychologist said she didn't see any signs of dementia. Plus, we know my MIL goes for medical visits regularly (she's kind of a hypochondriac) and has been to the doctor as recently as a few weeks ago for a check up.

@laurie--today the PT said he wants to see me 3 more times and if there's no improvement, he'll send me back to my doctor for more tests.

Did someone mention goat cheese? Even in the throes of the stomach flu, goat cheese sounded good. It's about the best food on earth!

Thursday truth:
    I had cake for breakfast. However, in my defense I was pretty low on calories yesterday due to being sick. :blush:

Other than PT, I've had zero exercise this week. I've also gotten very little grading done this week. On the plus side, I got more sleep in two days than I typically get in an entire week.

March Challenge:
    At or under calories 5/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average.
    All-in strength challenge=core work 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: x/3 core; PT DONE; x/3 runs
    Week 2: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 core; PT; x/3 runs
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. 26/64 BNW journal reflections
    2. 3/64 AP essays
    3. 7/16 AP analysis activities
    4. x/60 JRP outlines

Exercise Goals: (week 1)
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs--PT DONE
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

2015 mantra "Just 15 minutes"
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    @Lives2Travel - Keep persevering!

@tlh0407 - Yay for new batteries and the scale actually being down!

@soosun - Welcome back!

@Lauriek70 - I'm sorry your measurements are stuck. I was going to suggest that you try a new form of exercise, but you already do a wide variety of things, I think.

@cblue315 - Great work on the mile!!!!

@kah68 - Your yard looks like my yard, but I'm in WI, so it's supposed to look like that here. Your Achilles sounds so complex...just about every 'opathy and 'it is you can get, I guess. I hope they can help you fix it!

@mnwalkingqueen - Good job not letting the disappointment on the scale lead you to the refrigerator. It can be so easy to just say 'the hell with it'. Keep on going!

@mountmary84 - Don't worry about personals. Keep your focus on those calories and I'm sure you'll find success! And over by a cutie is not bad at all. :)

@grandmakaye44 - Sounds like a lot of us have gotten sloppy lately. I renewed my commitment in March, but I went over already yesterday due to nibbling. Dang nibbling!

@susan2396 - Being honest in logging is the first step!

@Tanya949 - You did it again! Keep up the great self-talk and avoiding the drive thru!

@RobinsEgg- I went through my own piles of papers yesterday. Still need to do our taxes, too! Now you- Go hit those stairs! :)

@skinnyjeanzbound - Sorry you were sick and had to go to work. Miserable!

AFM- Busy weekend ahead...I work today and have to close at the urgent care, so I may not get out on time. It just all depends on who comes in, with what and when. ;) Then I have to finish cleaning this house tonight because I work at peds tomorrow morning and my sister is coming with my niece tomorrow night. They're going to sleep over and watch my two kids while my husband and I go to a fundraiser event at the school. It's an evening of games, silent auctions, raffles, Mexican food and a mariachi band. We usually have a good time. I just probably won't want to drink or stay out too late because I have to work again at peds Sunday morning. And then it's back to my usual work schedule on Monday. I need a nap just thinking about it. ;)

Friday Fitness: Hoping to sneak home on my lunch hour today to flip laundry and prep dinner. Maybe I'll ride the stationary bike while I'm here.

March:
    Calorie Goal- 3/21
    Exercise Goal- 3/12
    Veggie Goal-15/93 servings
    Lift Goal: 2/8
    Leg Press-185/200
    Squats-180/200
    Abs- 152.5/165
    Back- 152.5/165
    Triceps- 82.5/90
    Biceps- 82.5/90

2015 Mantra: You Know Better! ~and~ Finish This Baby!