40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Congrats to furballs and family on the new grandbaby. How wonderful and exciting.
    Alf, sorry about your injury, hopefully it will heal soon and you can continue your good work.
    Larro, our garden spot is under probably 3 ft of snow still, last year we didn't weed it well a all and had very little of anything. It was pitiful. So ashamed, this year with all the healthier eating, hopefully I will be more inspired to weed it better.
    Love the castle pictures, would be so neat to see in person, lovely
    To all the new people, the starting is the hardest part, just do it and keep logging your food and exercise. It's a slow process but it's worth it, tell your self that you're worth it, worth the work, worth the struggle, and the logging once you're used to it, only takes very few minutes a day, I look forward to it now.
    Have a great weekend everyone. I have 2 nieces coming to spend the night with my 14 yr old son and 19 yr old daughter. Requesting some awesome chicken and dumpling recipe. I need to check and see how bad it's going to be calorie wise for me. I may have a few bites and have something else for dinner.
  • cherylann11
    cherylann11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    ddconney7 wrote: »
    I'd like to join this group. Today is my birthday and I'm 47 years old. I'm about 145 pounds and 5'1.5". My goals are to decrease body fat and build muscle. I love working out and eating healthy but tend to be inconsistent when stress hits.

I live in Houston but today I am vacationing with hubby in Puerto Rico. Yesterday we hiked in the El Yunque Rain Forest. It was amazing. Hubby and I are becoming more active together, so I am hoping for more consistency. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Happy birthday!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ginaaa71 wrote: »
    Good morning fun people! I'm determined to make this day count, in a negative way! Exercise is my goal for the day in hopes that the scale will have good news on Sunday! Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a strange phenomenon? I'm craving...wait for it... Weight for it.... Veggies! I don't even know who I am anymore! I haven't felt this way about food since I was a kid. So glad that I'm returning to normal. Seeing @larrodarro‌ tomato plants made my mouth water

LOL I've been craving butternut and spaghetti squash so I went to the store to get both!!!! Mmmm the more healthy foods you eat the more you crave it!!! Dig in!!!g18g3eydhjy1.jpg
  • alf1163
    Options
    ddconney7 wrote: »
    I'd like to join this group. Today is my birthday and I'm 47 years old. I'm about 145 pounds and 5'1.5". My goals are to decrease body fat and build muscle. I love working out and eating healthy but tend to be inconsistent when stress hits.

I live in Houston but today I am vacationing with hubby in Puerto Rico. Yesterday we hiked in the El Yunque Rain Forest. It was amazing. Hubby and I are becoming more active together, so I am hoping for more consistency. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Ahhh!!!!!! You are in my beautiful island!! Enjoy! Welcome to the group and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow. Seven posts on a Saturday! I remember when it used to be tumble weeds around here on a weekend. We sure are growing.

DD, happy birthday.

I had about 4 hours of sleep, so I'm running on fumes. If my customers will leave me along, I will nap at my desk this afternoon. This will be a day of only work related cardio. But I have already got more than my share of that this morning on the wrong end of a broom {as John Prine would say}.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend,

Larro
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    alf1163 wrote: »
    HELP!!!! Decided to go to a Zumba class and got crazy stupid and I think I pulled a glute muscle. :'( everything was going SOOO well!!! :s

If you ask real sweet, I bet your hubby would rub it for you ;)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Dental implant doing well. Took the scout troop on an architectural tour. Pizza lunch but I kept the calorie count down. I want to hit the 90 lb loss goal too much and I only need another pound+
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,953 Member
    Options
    Cardio done. ZOOM!

That is 320 mins of exercise for the week. BOOM!
  • vomckey
    vomckey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I am new to the community. I am a 42 y/o mother of 2. I also work fulltime as a highschool science teacher.

On my birthday, in January , because my pants were tight, I decided to get on the scale. I was shocked to discover I now weigh more than I have ever weighed while not pregnant.
    after 2 months of sort of trying to fit my pants again, I've decided to get serious... So far trying to lose weight at 42 sucks!

I'm currently at 163... To be a consistent size 10 I'll need to lose 13-15 pounds, assuming my new found belly fat agrees to leave with the weight.

Many years ago I maintained a size 6 by religiously counting carbs and taking part in a low carb discussion board... I'm not aiming for a size 6, but I hope this board can help me lose at least the 13 new pounds, if not another 10.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    vomckey we are exactly at the same place weight wise right now. Good thing you caught it and decided to do something about it right now before it got worse. Mine had crept up to 179, at 5'4" it wasn't pretty. Get logging your food, it isn't hard Start moving more. You can do it.
    I just used the recipe thing on here, last time it was a pain putting in each item. They have a thing where you copy and paste the url if it's a recipe online somewhere, and it puts in in. It was awesome, except I forgot to change the serving size the first time. Especially for recipes you may see and want to try and think it's low calorie, you can find out exactly what it is. So great..

• misscrish
    misscrish Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome! Hello Cool Kids I've got 125lbs to lose. I've been on MFP for 5 days. I've lost 8lbs so far. I've got to do this! My life, my health, and my career depends on it. I' m a Singer/ Songwriter and I'm working on my first album. Crazy I know but everytime I think its a done deal and that window of opportunity has been missed, another window opens propelling me forward. This has got to be God. It's been over a year since I was last in the Studio and now everything is moving full steam ahead. I've got photo shoots, music videos and many performances coming up and I' m not ready. I'm fat and rusty! Marketing and Major distribution have been secured. Everything is covered and in place. Production has started. But I've gotta do this. This is the moment I've been waiting for forever! Everyone keeps telling me its never too late to follow your dreams. I dream of being a successful trim singer. Able to provide for my family adequately. Completely overwhelmed but totally determined to succeed. (*)
  • vomckey
    vomckey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks Natalie - entered a bunch of recipes in anticipation of cooking at home all week (spring break). Searching for freezer meals I can make for next 3 weeks.

Am down below 160 this AM.. Water weight I'm sure, but I am Glad to know my 42 y/o body will let me lose weight.

Combining whole 30 plan w/ this calorie counting... 27 days before I have to figure out what calories to cut to make room for red wine.
  • LittleNell107
    LittleNell107 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would like to join this happy, friendly place too - I've NEVER been a "cool kid" in my life! Always was, still am and always will be a science nerd :D I'm 44, one hubby, one dog, no kids.

Haven't read the whole thread - but from the past few pages... @alf1163 - hope your injury clears up soon, I know little niggles can mount up over time and become a real downer. Fingers crossed for a full recovery for you.
    @3furballs - many congrats on the new addition to the family!
    @allenpriest - hope the tooth implant went well. Hubby had the same done very recently and it was the most long, drawn out process ever - I couldn't believe it... but he's got a lovely new tooth now.
    @ddconney7 - Happy Birthday for yesterday! I hope you had a lovely day.
    @cherylann11 - hey... I'm just a bit north and west of you, in Cheshire - never been to Elvaston though - it looks lovely.
    @misscrish - What an exciting time you've got ahead of you! :) You sound very determined... I'm sure you will succeed - good luck. If you don't mind me asking, what genre of music do you play?
    @vomckey - I'm loving your dog (chocolate lab???) :D I'm an ex-secondary school (high school) science teacher - now working in industry, but I absolutely loved teaching so I still do some private tutoring. I know what a challenging job it can be - respect to you!

Sorry my first post on here is lots of "talking" to individuals, but there's lots of nice, cheerful stuff to comment on :)
  • Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @misscrish‌ it's never too late to pursue your dreams! I'm wishing you the best of luck. I have zero talent in the singing department, possibly tone deaf. Congrats on joining my MFP and doing everything you can to drop the weight
  • chilimister
    chilimister Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    kbanzhaf wrote: »
    I'd like to join as well. I am a 51-year-old widow who lost over 70 pounds five years ago. I've gained back about 15, and would truly like to lose 10 of that. I was probably too thin at my lowest, but would be happier ranging a little lower than I am now (up and down from 130-135, instead of 140-145). I am at a healthy weight, but would still like to lose those pounds I gained back. The holidays have really wrecked havoc on my dieting and exercise regimen, and it won't improve too much for a few days until my daughter heads back to college. I know, not an excuse, but we like to enjoy ourselves in the time we spend together.

I am a teacher, and I try to walk both before school and during my lunch break. Walking is the only form of exercise I really do. I'd like to tone, so I know I need to add some weights/yoga/etc. to my weekly routine.

Kaye

• chilimister
    Options
    That is very impressive. Congratulations
  • chilimister
    Options
    I have never been cool but a peer group would be nice
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well, I might as well join ... seeing as this group is my demographics!

I'm almost 47, 5'8", currently 151lb, and have actually been trying to *gain* weight over the last couple of years (yeah, I know that will cheese a few of you off!) In reality, *gain* and *lose* are not 2 sides of a coin ... they both require the right blend of function-fit exercise and right eating.

A couple of years ago I was working out 3 days a week ... always a mix of strength and cardio (including a lot of "fighting moves"). When I decided to gain weight I was 145lb...and had been that weight pretty much my entire adult life. My weight gain was targeted: it was to be PROPER weight gain - muscle where possible. I increased my workouts to 5 days a week, mostly strength, but still included an appropriate level of cardio. Over a period of about 6 months I eventually hit the 160-164lb range as desired.

Recognizing that generally you gain 1lb of fat for every 1lb of muscle, I then decided to slide back down to the 153-157lb range...which I did successfully. Then I got sick for about 4-5 weeks, and went back down to the 147-152 range, where I have been ever since.

However, as of the beginning of 2015, I changed up my routine ... took out most of the "in-home cardio", and replaced it with Shotokan Karate. I still begin most home workouts with some targeted strength (still gotta have biceps :) ) and flexibility, but I now do a least 2.5hrs of karate per week either at home, or at a dojo.

I should add: I'm a big fan of my FitBit. When I was trying to gain, I was logging my workouts and calories religiously ... but couldn't understand why I was still losing weight. After trying the Jawbone UP, I switched to the FitBit to track the daily steps ... and found out pretty quickly where I was still burning calories on 10,000+ steps per day ... what I call "extraneous burn".

These days, I don't track my food - except pre/during/post-workout stuff (Gatorade, Protein shake). I track my karate workout burn either a) using the FitBit when at home, or b) using MFP's estimates when I go to a dojo and cannot wear the FitBit. I still track extraneous steps.
  • alf1163
    Options
    misscrish wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome! Hello Cool Kids I've got 125lbs to lose. I've been on MFP for 5 days. I've lost 8lbs so far. I've got to do this! My life, my health, and my career depends on it. I' m a Singer/ Songwriter and I'm working on my first album. Crazy I know but everytime I think its a done deal and that window of opportunity has been missed, another window opens propelling me forward. This has got to be God. It's been over a year since I was last in the Studio and now everything is moving full steam ahead. I've got photo shoots, music videos and many performances coming up and I' m not ready. I'm fat and rusty! Marketing and Major distribution have been secured. Everything is covered and in place. Production has started. But I've gotta do this. This is the moment I've been waiting for forever! Everyone keeps telling me its never too late to follow your dreams. I dream of being a successful trim singer. Able to provide for my family adequately. Completely overwhelmed but totally determined to succeed. (*)

@misscrish, how exciting!!!!! Good luck!!!!! Keep us posted!

• alf1163
    Options
    Welcome to all the new cool kids!!!! I've just been lying down, watching tv after eating the breakfast hubby usually prepares on Sun mornings. It's rainy and cold, well for us, here. I'm feeling lazy especially after not exercising for 2 days!!!! And this stupid time change doesn't help either!!!

@webbeyes‌, I've never had to gain weight but it sounds like you have a pretty good plan in place. I also use a Fitbit but I don't find it very reliable. Lately it hasn't been syncing with MFP. I'm so used to wearing it all day long though.

I need to get off the couch!!!! Happy Sunday!!