March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    cooter_mom wrote: »
    @dawnna76 not the slowest runner, I'm between 14:30 and 17:00 minute miles. I walk about as fast as I run most days. A mile is a mile, don't care how long it takes me, just that I ran the whole thing.

^Ditto! I am new to this, working very hard and making sloooow progress, but progress nonetheless. I finally can jog 1 mile without stopping and that's like clouds-parting-angels-singing-progress for me. I am almost able to do 2 miles without stopping, but it's all a work in progress. I keep pushing.

My miles are majority running, but I do have some walking in the mix since I do intervals in my runs. Also, I do count the days I take my dogs (150+lbs worth of dogs) on long walks. Being a person that sits 8hrs a day in an office and would come home and lay on the couch all night - 2/3 miles of walking is still noteworthy. So far, that's what works for me. Until I'm busting out running miles like some of you folks. :)

exercise.png

03/01 - jog outside 2.3 miles
    03/03 - jog outside 2 miles
    03/05 - brisk walk with dogs 2 miles
    03/06 - jog outside 2.2 miles
    03/07 - brisk walk with dogs 2 miles
    03/08 - jog outside 2 miles
    03/09 - brisk walk with dogs 3 miles
    03/10 - jog outside 2 miles
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

3/1 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 2.25 miles - walking
    3/2 - 1 mile - running, 1 mile - walking, and another 2 miles - walking
    3/3 - 5 miles - walking ***that single mile of running was a mistake***
    3/4 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.5 miles - walking
    3/5 - 2.25 miles - walking
    3/6 - 1.75 miles - walking
    3/7 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.75 miles - walking
    3/8 - 2.1 miles - walking, and another 4.25 miles - walking
    3/9 - 2.5 miles - 1.16 running, 1.34 walking (we'll see if I was ready, yet), and another 2 miles - walking
    3/10 - 2.7 miles - 2 running, 0.7 walking (I couldn't NOT run with new running shoes! The ankle feels... 3/10 for pain? But the run felt good. I'll have to accept it.)
    This is a sweet little community here.... I love it. And I like seeing what everyone does besides run (as long as we all acknowledge RUNNING that is THE *kitten*)... only problem is that I see these recent posts about people wanting/getting new shoes and now I have uninhibited lust to get these (Inov8 Ultra 270) (and where is mom when I need her? :( )...
    o8r7d66w2a3q.jpg

Yeah, yeah... I know they aren't zero drop, but for trails I can live with 4mm....

Merrell's Bare Access comes in a trail version - zero drop. I have a pair each of the trail and road shoes.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @LoneWolfRunner‌ - glad you mentioned the water bottle, I was going to ask. Before I got hurt my long runs on weekends were between 9 - 11 miles and I never took water or anything else with me. I know I will need something for my HM next month. I'll check out that water bottle. I'm getting ready this week to get some GU or Gels or whatever I will need while running the HM so I can test them out. My daughter eats gummy bears or fruit snacks before her races. Love your new kicks too!

@sonicdeathmonkey80 - nice!

It's funny I thought my boyfriend was the only guy that had a running shoe fetish. Of course after 22 years of military service he only runs now when I talk him into it.

@cooter_mom Oh yeah the bike will make a world of difference. I run early before my daughter is awake, but of course she's 14 so she is good alone.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    3/1 - 6.5 miles
    3/2 - 3.9 miles - miserable windy 20 mph with gusts, I hate wind even when it's 100 out LOL
    3/3 - rest day
    3/4 - 6.1 miles a beautiful 64F at 5:30 am when I ran - ran in a tank top. I love Alabama, tonight it will be 25F with a winter storm watch
    3/5 - ice day
    3/6 - ice day
    3/7 - 8.4 miles
    3/8 - lazy day
    3/9 - 3.5 miles
    3/10 - 6.5 miles

34.9 out of 70 miles

exercise.png
  • xoxoamandaz
    xoxoamandaz Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am so new to running.....considering I never really ran all my life....but I'm now wanting to get fit. I want to start off low so My goal is 30 miles!! exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @CodeMonkey78‌ - family time is always a good idea!

Yes, it is :smile:

********* RUNNING *** CYCLING **** RUN TOTAL ** CYCLING TOTAL
    03/01 -- REST DAY
    03/02 -- 05.25 miles -- 28.00 miles => (05.25/140) -- (28.00/600)
    03/03 -- 00.00 miles -- 13.88 miles => (05.25/140) -- (41.88/600)
    03/04 -- 06.50 miles -- 22.00 miles => (11.75/140) -- (63.88/600)
    03/05 -- 09.01 miles -- 27.50 miles => (20.76/140) -- (91.38/600)
    03/06 -- 00.00 miles -- 20.22 miles => (20.76/140) -- (111.60/600)*
    03/07 -- 00.00 miles -- 54.87 miles => (20.76/140) -- (166.47/600)*
    03/08 -- 00.00 miles -- 15.73 miles => (20.76/140) -- (182.20/600)**
    03/09 -- 12.00 miles -- 15.73 miles => (32.76/140) -- (182.20/600)

* Planned running rest for long run
    ** Planned long run day; spent time with family instead
  • foodequalshappy
    foodequalshappy Posts: 31 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I hit 65.73 in February and I think my goal was 66!

Aiming for 84 miles this month, culminating in a half marathon March 29!
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I have been playing around with fuel on longer runs and have found that the most essential thing for me is to eat properly (and enough) the day before the run and to eat 150-200 calories prior to the run. My stomach doesn't tolorate much while running thus I try and load up prior to. During the run I focus on hydration and try to eat a couple of honey stinger blocks every 5 miles or so.

Date... Miles... Total...
    3/1... 3.5... 3.5
    3/2... 6... 9.5
    3/3... 6... 15.5
    3/4... 6.5... 22
    3/7... 20.5... 42.5 (5100 ft elevation gain)
    3/10... 6... 48.5

I fell this morning on my run. I haven't done that in a long time! I think it was a combo of it being dark again and not lifting my legs well since I am still sore from Saturday's crazy run. Hurt like hell but luckily the only thing that seems to have gotten injured is my left hand (a pretty good gash and feels sprained). Ugh.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @briebee7 thanks for the information. OMGosh I hope you are okay! Take care of that hand.
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Chugging along - our weather is cooperating much better this week! Finally warming up! No snow in the forecast for now *knock on wood* =D
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options

@skippygirlsmom‌ I'd say it's pretty spot on. I follow most of those rules during race week. I like to use on course nutrition, so I investigate early in training what the race will be using and practice with it. As long as it's not Infinit or Shot Blox (gag) I'm good to go.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @briebee7‌
    I didn't see your Saturday run til just now- Holy Cannoli, that's a lot of climbing! Literally 5x the elevation of a "hilly" run around here! Was that trail running or pavement?
    Also, sorry about your fall, that's brutal. Hope it heals quickly!
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    @briebee7 - So sorry to hear about your fall. :( Hope it heals quickly.
    @skippygirlsmom - I agree wholeheartedly with briebee7's advice for fueling. For me, it matters much more what I do on the days leading up to the race - eating right, sleeping enough, easy runs and rest days, eating a little but not too much the morning of... I never eat during races (or long training runs) but that's just my preference. I do drink some Gatorade but mostly water during the races. I tried to eat/fuel but my "transit" (as my MIL calls it, aka digestive tract) can't handle anything at all on race days so I just look forward to my post-race beer and burger! I did this even during my marathon...again it's just what works for me. My friend who ran with me, snacked on the sport gummies the whole time as well as whatever else they were handing out including Swedish fish and a beer. To each their own right?! Interestingly, I have read that carb-loading the night before is not necessary and done more out of tradition than benefit. During the event, 60 grams of carbs per hour is recommended. One woman I know snacked on a PB&J through her marathon! I'll be interested to hear others' thoughts on this!

Good luck at your race!!
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @SBRRepeat - it was a dirt fire road. The Old Coast Road in Big Sur. Brutal! I am training for the Big Sur marathon in April and most folks around here try to do OCR at least once during training with the idea that if you can survive those hills then the hills at the marathon will seem easy. ;)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    @briebee7‌
    I didn't see your Saturday run til just now- Holy Cannoli, that's a lot of climbing! Literally 5x the elevation of a "hilly" run around here! Was that trail running or pavement?

Unrelated to running: I had no idea it was "holy cannoli." I've said sqwamoli, cammolies ... not having any idea what that means but not wanting to be left out (it's a fun thing to say), lol. Thank you for the education today. :)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Intervals today ... I think it's good that I have strength training tomorrow. I could probably use a rest day from running. Sigh. The legs say rest, but the brain says runnnnnn ...

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    @briebee7‌

Unrelated to running: I had no idea it was "holy cannoli." I've said sqwamoli, cammolies ... not having any idea what that means but not wanting to be left out (it's a fun thing to say), lol. Thank you for the education today. :)

Saying 'round here is "holy guacamole". Regional differences.

I think I'll swim today- prob won't see any running miles from me today. I do plan on swimming with my Garmin in my hair just to see how far/fast I am -ish.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1 - 12mi, easy
    2 - 8.2mi, easy
    3 - 8.2mi, tempo
    4 - 10mi, easy w/FF
    5 - 8mi, intervals
    6 - 8mi, easy+3.2mi, tempo
    7 - 18mi, easy
    8 - Rest
    9 - 7.2mi, easy