March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• zombiebrandy0112
    zombiebrandy0112 Posts: 88 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Goal: 65 miles

3/1: 6.38 miles, 11:42 pace, snow covered sidewalks but beautiful day!
    3/2: REST
    3/3: 3.01 miles, 10:52 pace, in a misty, cold rain - LOVED it!
    3/4: 3.00 miles, 11:42 pace, I felt like I had lead feet today.
    3/5: REST - my Achilles' tendon was aching so I dropped my scheduled 3 miles
    3/6: REST
    3/7: My 1st 8k race, 5.01 miles, 10:32 pace - I felt AWESOME! My best race pace by far. Also a 2 mile walk with my husky in the evening.
    3/8: 10 mile bike ride, weight training
    3/9: REST
    3/10: 3 mile run, 11:39 pace, weight training

Some advice please: I've been running for the last 10 weeks, 4 days a week. I have always taken 2 complete rest days (besides walking my dog). About 2 weeks ago I started doing the Bikini Body Mommy challenge - which incorporates weights and calisthenics (HIIT). Last Tuesday after my run, my left Achilles' tendon started aching. Then it happened again today. What could be causing this? Do you think it could be the calisthenics? I just don't want to change my running plan but am willing to do something else for weights. Does anyone have advice on how to treat the ache?
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom‌ I figured as much, but I was really hoping to learn something new today.
    @_nikkiwolf_‌ That's disappointing, still, I want to be a part of whatever is happening there.

Anyyyway, back to the point: I swam just over a mile this morning before work, then I got to run around a bit with the Girls on the Run team I coach (amazing organization, look them up if you get a chance). They're only about 3 weeks into a 5 K training program, but they are so much fun.
    Here's my dreadmill mileage from this evening:
    1 mi warmup with strides- 3.1 mile threshold run (really happy with my pace!)- 1.7 mi easy. 5.8 total.
    That puts me at 47.8/100 for the month.

I'll be in Arizona for the next week, so I'm counting on awesome outdoor runs (and bikes and swims) and a bit of a tan B)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @cooter_mom you go girl!!! I just love how excited you are :grinning:
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    3/2 = 4.56 miles
    3/3 = 2.26 miles
    3/4 = 3.52 miles
    3/5 = rest
    3/6 = 4.51 miles
    3/7 = rest
    3/8 = 8 miles
    3/9 = rest
    3/10 = 5 miles

TOTAL = 27.85/85

exercise.png

I'm one-third of the way to my March goal! Also excited because I ordered some new shoes. Mine are starting to feel kind of worn down.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom‌ Fueling is tricky. I almost always run fasted and have had poor luck with the sport fuel products like Gu or gels. I can add a little bit of hydration mix to my water. If I'm running more than two hours I carry peanut m&m's or trail mix in my pocket just in case I start to bonk.
    @cooter_mom‌ I don't carry water if I'm running less than 10 miles but use an amphipod for longer runs. It's okay. It's better than holding a bottle but I am looking for a better option. Sounds like you had an amazing run today- I'm so excited for you. The pictures are beautiful.
    @shanaber I run with chewing gum too. It's funny because I never chewed gum before I started running, now I should buy it in bulk.
    @zombiebrandy0112‌ I wish I could help. I haven't had trouble with my Achilles' tendons. I do find mixing running and strength training challenging.

__Date___ Miles
    Mar 1 ___ 3.5am 7°F + 6.1pm 26°F + strength training
    Mar 2 ___ 5.7 with friends + 3.6 alone
    Mar 3 ___ 1.4 streak + strength training
    Mar 4 ___ 5.1 with friend + 3.5 alone
    Mar 5 ___ 2.3 + strength training
    Mar 6 ___ 8.8am alone + 4.6pm w/friend
    Mar 7 ___ 3.1
    Mar 8 ___ 12.5 cloudy, then snowy, then sunny all in the same run
    Mar 9 ___ 6.0 w/friends (& another 1.4 with my youngest not included in total.)
    Mar 10 __ 3.1+ strength training

Month total= 69.2 running miles __95.8 remaining

exercise.png

Current Streak: 198days = 1244.4miles

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Weather was a bit icky for my run tonight, but I'm good with that as it was only 5 miles. Did about the same distance on my kayak earlier today (into the current each way) as I've been exploring alternative transportation options for getting to spring training games this week.

3/1 - 17 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 8 miles
    3/5 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 8 miles
    3/8 - 18 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles

Total: 66 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 114 miles
  • johnsonnelly
    johnsonnelly Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    March 1 -Rest
    March 2 - 4 miles
    March 3 - 5.1 miles (furthest run to date)
    March 4-6th - Rest arches, I pulled them jumping rope.
    March 7 - 4 miles OUTSIDE!!! It was so warm here, I was surprised!
    March 8 - 4 miles (plus a hike on the mountain)
    March 9 - 3.1 miles (5k OUTSIDE!!, plus a 2 mile walk and weight training)
    March 10 - 2.25 miles (It was hard to run tonight....)

exercise.png
  • johnsonnelly
    johnsonnelly Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am so frustrated! I cannot seem to break through 5 miles.....I have been running pretty consistently for about a year but every time that I am able to sustain 4-5 miles I seem to have a few days where I can only run 2-3 miles and I feel completely unable to push through and then I have to get back to 4-5 miles. It is a cycle that I feel stuck in. I do not know what I am doing wrong? I give myself rest days, I have started to weight train, and I do hike and run different places outside as the weather permits. I have to use the treadmill frequently in the winter. I feel like I have good form because I am not hurting myself. I have tried to control breaths with foot strikes, etc. and that just makes me breathe worse because I am paying too much attention. I feel that the first mile is the hardest, which is normal. Any advice of how to gain distance would be appreciated. I am not running too fast at all so I know that if I slowed down I would be speed walking rather than running. Again, I am FRUSTRATED! :(
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Date.......Miles.......Total
    03/01.... 2.00....... 2.00 - Dog Beach run
    03/02.... 5.22....... 7.22 - Fast rain run
    03/03.... 7.88......15.10 - + Strength Training
    03/04.... 0.00......15.10
    03/05.... 4.03......19.13 - + Strength Training
    03/06.... 8.74......27.87 - Windy and so dry
    03/07.... 6.70......34.57 - Hot, hot, hot (sorry to all who are still dealing with snow and ice!)
    03/08.... 2.00......36.57 - Dog Beach run
    03/09.... 5.09......41.66
    03/10.....9.52......51.18 - + Strength Training
    03/11.....0.00......51.18 - much needed rest day!
    Went for a long run today since my calendar was clear and I won't have a chance this weekend as I am running in a 5K at SeaWorld - should be fun!!

exercise.png

7298b250c4c6ca2.gif
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @cooter_mom‌ - love your excitement!! You will conquer that hill and one day wonder why it was ever difficult! Where are you running? It looks a bit like where I grew up in Idaho...
    @autumnblade75‌ - I don't have any recommendations unfortunately. I am wearing Altra One2 that I really like. They are very fast and very light weight which I love but they have a weird fold in the toe that rubs so I am looking to replace them. I also can't find any store in So. CA that carries them. I have over 300 miles on them already so will need to replace them in the next month or so. I don't let my shoes go beyond 4-500 miles or I start to have injury problems. I alternate between those and Asics Gel Lyte-33 the original model (not the 2s or 3s) The 2s hurt my foot and I have not invested to try the 3s but I love the originals, they are just hard to find now.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @johnsonnelly : maybe plan a route for the distance you want to cover and add in walking intervals?
    That's how I was able to go from ~6 km (where I was stuck for a while) to 10 km - one day I just decided I would to 10k, so I planned a route and went out with 2min running + 1 min walking. It felt a little odd to take walking breaks during the first bit of the run when I didn't need them. But thanks to all the walking, the distance suddenly wasn't all that scary, and I still felt fine when I got home.
    Two weeks later I tried the course again with 3min running + 1 min walking, and after that I didn't plan any intervals anymore, just ran as much as I could and walked a minute when I needed it, and gradually the walking breaks disappeared.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    11-Mar: +3.8K
    Total: 40 miles ... goes a lot slower in miles than in K :) ... over half way though

b711f2b2eade190.png
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    1/3 - 0
    2/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    3/3 - 0
    4/3 - 0
    5/3 - 10 miles (treadmill and wow was this boring)
    6/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    7/3 - 7.5 miles (outside, yay for weekends)
    8/3 - 13.25 miles (outside)
    9/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    10/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    11/3 - Rest day.

Total: 50.75miles
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options

3/1 - 4 miles
    3/9 - 3.5 miles
    3/11 - 4.02 miles

[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wp4mvpr/exercise.png [\img][/img]
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am so frustrated! I cannot seem to break through 5 miles.....I have been running pretty consistently for about a year but every time that I am able to sustain 4-5 miles I seem to have a few days where I can only run 2-3 miles and I feel completely unable to push through and then I have to get back to 4-5 miles. It is a cycle that I feel stuck in. I do not know what I am doing wrong? I give myself rest days, I have started to weight train, and I do hike and run different places outside as the weather permits. I have to use the treadmill frequently in the winter. I feel like I have good form because I am not hurting myself. I have tried to control breaths with foot strikes, etc. and that just makes me breathe worse because I am paying too much attention. I feel that the first mile is the hardest, which is normal. Any advice of how to gain distance would be appreciated. I am not running too fast at all so I know that if I slowed down I would be speed walking rather than running. Again, I am FRUSTRATED! :(

I agree with @_nikkiwolf_‌ about planning a longer run and incorporating the walking breaks. I know several seasoned runners who incorporate walking purposefully in their long runs. Jeff Galloway has a method you could look up - if not to use yourself, at least to get the idea of it (and that it's an accepted method).

I would avoid loops and laps, when your brain can convince you that you've gone plenty far and you can easily stop. Do some out and backs and make the out point progressively further away.

In terms of the hyper-focusing on your breathing, I know just what you mean. It does make it worse. When I run into trouble with breathing (this is silly, but it works for me), I say my ABCs in the cadence of my running. The distraction away from the breaths and on the footfalls instead usually breaks me out of it. Music helps me tremendously though.

Remember not to increase your mileage too quickly ... oh, and pick a great day when you are not loaded down with responsibilities to go for a longer run. :) Good luck!

ETA: In a total contradiction of my last paragraph, I do an uncharacteristically long run once a week or once every two weeks, just to convince myself that I am capable of ... whatever.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    DATE...................... MILES...............TOTAL
    3/2...........................Weight training
    3/3...........................5.25....................5.25
    3/4...........................5.25..................10.50
    3/5...........................7.75..................18.25
    3/6...........................Weight training
    3/7.........................11.00..................29.25
    3/8...........................5.50..................34.75
    3/9...........................Weight training
    3/11.........................8.00..................42.75

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    March 1 - 5K - 3rd place in my age group. Not my best time, but happy with it! 29:07
    March 2- rest
    March 3- 5.05 miles and strength training
    March 4 - 5.09 miles
    March 5 - 5.13 miles
    March 6 - strength training
    March 7 - 34 miles Biking - brutal winds today. I couldn’t keep up around the lake.
    March 8 - 71 miles biking. Beautiful day out but that was too long.
    March 9 - rest day
    March 10 - strength training.
    March 11 - 5.2 miles - knee felt fine! So thankful.

exercise.png
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @ddmom0811, glad the knee felt okay ... keep up the good work
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Goal: 65 miles

3/1: 6.38 miles, 11:42 pace, snow covered sidewalks but beautiful day!
    3/2: REST
    3/3: 3.01 miles, 10:52 pace, in a misty, cold rain - LOVED it!
    3/4: 3.00 miles, 11:42 pace, I felt like I had lead feet today.
    3/5: REST - my Achilles' tendon was aching so I dropped my scheduled 3 miles
    3/6: REST
    3/7: My 1st 8k race, 5.01 miles, 10:32 pace - I felt AWESOME! My best race pace by far. Also a 2 mile walk with my husky in the evening.
    3/8: 10 mile bike ride, weight training
    3/9: REST
    3/10: 3 mile run, 11:39 pace, weight training

Some advice please: I've been running for the last 10 weeks, 4 days a week. I have always taken 2 complete rest days (besides walking my dog). About 2 weeks ago I started doing the Bikini Body Mommy challenge - which incorporates weights and calisthenics (HIIT). Last Tuesday after my run, my left Achilles' tendon started aching. Then it happened again today. What could be causing this? Do you think it could be the calisthenics? I just don't want to change my running plan but am willing to do something else for weights. Does anyone have advice on how to treat the ache?

Eccentric stretching, ibuprofen, and stop the activity that triggered it (the "challenge" thing).

To do a proper eccentric stretch, find a stair or riser, and put the balls of your feet on the edge, so that your heels are completely off. Allow your body weight to shift to the Achilles in question, letting your heel down, and then use your good foot/leg to lift it back up. Repeat a dozen or so times. Also, try a soleus stretch in the shower. Put one leg about a foot in front of the other, toes pointed forward, and lean gently, and hold for about 10-15 sec, then switch.