Looking to lose 100+ pounds... the healthy way!

Options

Replies

• swarren1037
    swarren1037 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey all, happy March! It's been a crazy last couple weeks for me, so I'm glad to be back in the swing. I had a good day today. I still ate slightly above the calories I wanted, but I ate all kinds of great superfoods, and feel fabulous and really satisfied because of it. I hope you all are off to a good start this week.
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I apologize if I'm not as active here as usual... I'm sick. My throat is on fire and all my energy is going into avoiding coughing at all costs. I'm such a baby when I'm sick because it doesn't happen often. Ah well... it has its perks. I came home last night to hot chicken noodle soup. OK so it was instant Lipton's but hey... it was hot liquid goodness going down my throat and I didn't have to make it! LOL

Have a great day!
    Caroline
  • didjaever
    didjaever Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Feel better Caroline.
  • 2run2ski
    2run2ski Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    20150310_161913_zpslvioqvpi.jpg

I love my Nalgene bottles! This is my blue one. Isn't it cute? It's at work with me in this picture. After all, it is my constant companion.
  • prof_newme
    prof_newme Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @Didjaever Yes, I buy the frozen chopped spinach, add that and a bit of Feta cheese to 97% lean ground beef, bread crumbs, chopped onion and 2 egg whites. They were really good. I put them in pita bread with a bit of Tzatziki with more cucumbers than yogurt.
  • prof_newme
    prof_newme Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @Shirayne I hope you feel better soon! Sick is the worst
  • laurahickman14
    laurahickman14 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey, im looking for friends to help keep me motivated with positive encouragement- all friend requests accepted! And motivation shared back too ☺️
  • 2run2ski
    2run2ski Posts: 133 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To the "Looking to Lose" Board: I'm so sorry about my KING KONG water bottle post! LOL I posted that with my phone while waiting for my son's class to end and didn't realize my mistake! Now we're stuck with that elephant... good thing we're all losing weight so we'll have room to fit in here together with that beast! :) I was just trying to bring some levity to the day... Well, I did (at least for me)...just not in the way I intended! ;)
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I also am 42 and have 100 pounds to lose. I have a horrible relationship with food and three years ago lost a bunch of weight but because of that relationship I ended up gaining a lot of it back.
  • kp3868
    kp3868 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have to admit.. Having bariatric surgery was no easy way out. If not it's harder. Learning to eat all over again the things you can digest good others not so good.. I've lost 85lbs in about 18 months with a small gain of 10lbs over the holidays..

You asked for a good tip.. I have a couple...

Eat on a baby plate.. Eat with a baby fork or spoon.

Not only are you eating with your mouth you also eat with your EYES. I usually have 2 regular spoons of each item on my plate. Never ever going back for seconds trains you to consume less and still be satisfied. If you eat on a regular plate.. STOP before you begin to feel full.. at the point you feel full your over stuffed! There is a delay in the feeling of fill and satisfaction! ! Not all food will satisfy you bc your fixation is on what you want ..NOT WHAT YOU NEED. If you aren't feeling like the smaller portions are enough add a protein shake to your meal. If I over eat I have serous consequences! Puking sweats diarrhea.. you know all the great stuff.

Right now I'm at about 600/900 calories a day. I'm short so my body doesn't require the caloric intake of a 6 foot man 1200 calories. Neither does yours. Your consuming too much sugar which triggers hunger at the drop point. I have to admit the last 14 days have been hell adjusting to my diet again. But results keep me strong! ! 13lbs!! Add me if your interested I've learned a lot over the last 18 months and would love to share!
  • danielle7577
    danielle7577 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @kp3868‌ I applaud your determination. I have seen other people go thru what you are going thru after surgery. Which adds to the reason why it will never be the choice for me.
    I'm not really sure how you can eat so few calories though. Do you exercise?
    I am sure you have much knowledge to offer those who are thinking about following this route. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Cabrakan
    Cabrakan Posts: 20
    Options
    this is what im trying to do as well, i have let this go on for far too long. hoping this site and this community will help with my determination as i work off these pounds :)
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    kp3868 wrote: »

Right now I'm at about 600/900 calories a day. I'm short so my body doesn't require the caloric intake of a 6 foot man 1200 calories. Neither does yours.

"You cannot starve yourself or skip meals to lose weight successfully. If you find yourself exhibiting these behaviors, please visit your doctor or therapist. This is dangerous and unhealthy."

Excerpted from
    Diane Carbonelle's free e pamphlet.

http://www.dianecarbonell.com/before-after-photos/

• kp3868
    Options
    kp3868 wrote: »

Right now I'm at about 600/900 calories a day. I'm short so my body doesn't require the caloric intake of a 6 foot man 1200 calories. Neither does yours.

"You cannot starve yourself or skip meals to lose weight successfully. If you find yourself exhibiting these behaviors, please visit your doctor or therapist. This is dangerous and unhealthy."

This is the plan my bariatric physician has me on and there is NOTHING unhealthy about it. I hardly ever skip meals unless I'm working and can't get away to sit down even then I have a protein pack and never feel hungry. One advantage to having my football sized stomach reduced to a 4 oz pouch also removed the gland that pushes the hunger hormone.

I'll continue on my healthy journey and allow you to continue on yours. I'm a success story. One of few who actually follow the plan. No therapist needed.

Excerpted from
    Diane Carbonelle's free e pamphlet.

http://www.dianecarbonell.com/before-after-photos/

• inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    @kp3868‌
    My mistake. That is standard post bariatric surgery procedure. I apologize.
    http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/dietary_guidelines_after_gastric_bypass/
  • kp3868
    Options

@kp3868‌
    My mistake. That is standard post bariatric surgery procedure. I apologize.
    http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/dietary_guidelines_after_gastric_bypass/

It's a common misconception that I'm starving myself when I tell people the plan I'm on. They say wow 600/900 calories wow. The most common question is are you hungry all the time?? No I don't feel hunger in the same sense as I once did. This allows me to eat less often and also make healthier food decisions such as meat or protein before vegg/or carbs. Because I can't fit a lot in there and have to have healthy fuel. I had a wrapless wrap (turkey/cheese/spinach ) and a protein shake for breakfast. NO TORTILLA.. This was about 180 calories. Very fulfilling and packed with protein. Yes I have fall backs and tend to make poor decisions in my diet and I suffer the consequences. The sleeve is no cure for being fat or an emotional eater this is still a work in progress. Seeing the smaller person in the mirror and loving/accepting the skin I'm in It's only one step in my journey to become a healthier wife/mom to my 3 kids under the age of 4. I incorporate diet and exercise about 3x a week. Plus working 50 hours a week. I stay on the run..

• danielle7577
    danielle7577 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @kp3868 I asked about exercise because I would find it hard to burn calories eating so little. I have no doubt the doctors told you to limit yourself that much. I wish you the best on your own journey.
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Hope everyone is having a great day today! I find this recent discussion very interesting because it's just further proof that weight loss is such a personal journey. What works for one will not necessarily work for another. All we can do is motivate each other on continuing our journeys and offering insight on what has worked for us. I have often wondered whether surgery would be the right choice for me and I'm glad kp3868 that you mentioned that it's no cure for emotional eating. This indicates to me that it's not the right solution for me. Aside from that, having lost 80 pounds myself previously, I know I can do it if I put my mind to it and I think for me, this forces me to learn to eat the right things for me as a process. If I eat the wrong things, I gain weight and learn to adjust on the fly. Fun times!
  • kp3868
    Options
    I definitely still struggle at times. Like I mentioned surgery was just one step I almost allowed it to slip away from me. Especially when I've had a long day at work, I get home and the chores never stop. Then feeding/bathing/bedding 3 tots.. I felt back around November and allowed myself to fall right back into post surgery mentality. Eating slider foods, grazing through the day at work, staying up all night munching with the hubbs since it's pretty much the only bonding time we have together. I went to the doctor and he lowered to boom on me. Brought things into perspective to get me back on track. I realize the more I was eating the more I craved food. Not feeling hunger bc that sensation is no longer there but just to satisfy my mind I suppose.

I'm just looking for a little more motivation from some kind, non-judgmental type of people who are facing the same struggles.

I think my initial introduction went sour just a little left field. I'd like to try again!

I'm Katie from birmingahm al and I love to eat! Hopefully I can find some positive motivation here with rejoining MFP.. my weight numbers are all messed up and I don't know how to fix them.. any suggestions? ? I suppose it went from my last login and has me at 3lbs or so.
  • didjaever
    didjaever Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome Katie. I admire your determination to get on track. I feel that no matter how much we all have to lose or whether we have had surgery or not, we all suffer from the same emotional addiction to food.

Today I felt hungry but feel that I controlled my mind enough to not lose track of the day. Small victories and one day at a time.