March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

As others said, try slowing your pace down or try the run walk method. Not every workout is going to be the same. Some are going to be slower than others. Most of your miles should be at conversational pace. I actually have a post about this in the main group. That means you should be able to hold a conversation with a running buddy without fighting for a breath. If you run by yourself, then you should be able to sing your ABC's or the Happy Birthday song out loud without fighting for a breath. if you can't, then you are running too fast.

When I first started running last summer, I read about having a conversation while running and I saw people doing that along my walk/runs but I was no where NEAR being able to hold a conversation while running. I didn't think I was going too fast because my times were so slow. But eventually I have slowed down and now I can talk/sing while running. I try not to sing too much since I'm all alone running in the dark before 5:30am. :) But sometimes, I feel so good I can't help it and I just sing along with part of a song! Like this morning to "You Shook Me All Night Long".
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    1--- 6mi
    2--- REST DAY
    3--- 8mi
    4--- 7mi
    5--- 10mi
    6--- 7.25mi
    7--- 18.05mi
    8--- 6mi --- (Weekly total: 56.30 miles)
    9--- REST DAY
    10--- 10mi with 6 @ goal marathon pace
    11--- 8 mi

Done: 80.30/200mi goal

I managed to get some bad blister under my little toe on last night run, and I'm having a hard time walkign right this morning. Tonight's 8 miles run should be interesting... :(
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March

3/1 6.5 miles - 6.5 <<<< 1.5 w/u plus 8K race
    3/2 5 miles - 11.5
    3/3 8 miles - 19.5
    3/4 8 miles - 27.5 <<< new shoes today (ASICS Gel Noosa Tri 8's)
    3/5 6 miles - 33.5 <<< TM intervals (ice covered streets)
    3/6 8 miles - 41.5 <<< TM progressions @ recovery & easy paces
    3.7 15 miles - 56.5 <<< Madkin and Weeden Mtns long run (1,299 ft elevation gain)
    3/8 6.2 miles - 62.7
    3/9 8.5 miles - 71.2
    3/10 8 miles - 79.2
    3/11 6.2 miles - 85.4
    3/12 9 miles - 94.4

exercise.png

• SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @johnsonnelly‌ - I agree with the others who have responded and will just say that I couldn't do it on a treadmill so if that is where you are having the issue I can't advise... for outside though, I gave myself little goals beyond my comfort point and didn't pay attention to the miles until after I ran, I just knew I was going beyond where I had run previously. I would also rest the next day. Make that your 'long' run for the week followed by a rest day. As far as the breathing goes, I listen to music and sing along with it... If I can't sing then I am going to fast. It also lets others on the trail know I am coming :smiley:
    @ddmom0811‌ - so glad you are feeling better!
    @cooter_mom‌ - another running addict!! :bigsmile:
    @skippygirlsmom‌ - Yea on being released (and showing that Dr!)!!!

With my singing voice, if I sang along with the music I'm sure all the animals would give me a wide berth. People too, I imagine.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. What is everyone's average pace??

My average pace shouldn't matter to you, just as someone else's average pace wouldn't matter to me. Your easy, your fast, your whatever, is not going to be the same. Here are my averages, by month:

412zohknaoi4.png

A good takeaway for you would be to note how as the distance increased, the pace got faster - that's the magic of high volume of easy miles. Also, there are races in there that affect the average pace, but 80% of my running is easy. Summer months are slower, winter months are faster.

ETA if you want to dig a little deeper and see how I train relative to my race paces, here ya go. My easy pace is a minute above my marathon pace, which right now is 7:45. I do that once a week, along with a speed session, and I'm still relatively fast. Some people will run everything at MP or harder, and that's a recipe for burnout.

• JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I've started running in March 2013.

2013 Average pace= 10:45 (Average over 35 weeks = 19 mpw)
    2014 Average pace= 9:14 (Average over 52 weeks = 30 mpw)
    2015 Average pace= 9:12 (Average over 10 weeks = 41 mpw)

9:12 is right in the middle of my easy pace range and 1:00-1:30 minutes slower than my marathon pace.

Easy, easy and easy miles = getting faster :)
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options

My daily running pace is a little over 9:00/mile; In formal races, I usually get into the 8:15 to 8:30 range. There is something magical about running in a large group of people that naturally makes you faster. The hard part is to not run so fast that you wear yourself out before the finish.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

In school, I was always a B student. Consistent. Rarely an A. Rarely a C. I feel that way about my running, too. I run 10 minute training miles pretty consistently; I run 9 minute miles for a 5K (working on it); and can get to 8 minute miles for intervals on a good day. I don't have equipment or matrices, so it's general ...
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I had to go and take a look for my pace. When I'm running during the week and doing 5 - 10 miles it was (before I was hurt) between 10:15 and 10:45 depending on where I was running. I've only run one 10K and that pace was 9:37, my 5K pace is usually around 9:20 - 9:32 again depending on the course.

@sonicdeathmonkey80 love the spreadsheet I'm going to make myself one. It's interesting to see this information.

@ddmom0811 you'll do great this weekend, you are ready and will kill it. Enjoy the time with your daughter.

@_nikkiwolf_ @stoshew71 thank you - I'm so happy to be feeling better. I'm amazed to go from "no running you need back surgery" to 8+ miles in a month.

@zombiebrandy0112 you are welcome, I'm so happy to hear you did 4 pain free miles. I thought about this last night too. My daughter's trainer at school also told her while she was rehabing to jog 1 lap around the track and then walk 1 lap backwards, then jog 2 laps, then walk 1 lap backwards. She hated to do it because she said it looked so funny (you know the football players were out there LOL), but she said it helped to stretch the tendon and felt great.

Going to take a rest day today and hope the rain holds off for my daughter's soccer game tonight. She's pumped up for this game, cross town rival and during practice last night she scored 2 goals so she was in beast mode this morning. :smiling_imp: If you can imagine 5' 75 lbs in beast mode ha ha!!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    My training pace is 10:30-12:00 minutes per mile.
    My race pace is 10:30-12:00 minutes per mile.
    My all out sprint pace is 10:30-12:00 minutes per mile.
    My slow recovery pace is 10:30-12:00 minutes per mile.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

3/1 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 2.25 miles - walking
    3/2 - 1 mile - running, 1 mile - walking, and another 2 miles - walking
    3/3 - 5 miles - walking ***that single mile of running was a mistake***
    3/4 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.5 miles - walking
    3/5 - 2.25 miles - walking
    3/6 - 1.75 miles - walking
    3/7 - 2.25 miles - walking, and another 1.75 miles - walking
    3/8 - 2.1 miles - walking, and another 4.25 miles - walking
    3/9 - 2.5 miles - 1.16 running, 1.34 walking (we'll see if I was ready, yet), and another 2 miles - walking
    3/10 - 2.7 miles - 2 running, 0.7 walking (I couldn't NOT run with new running shoes! The ankle feels... 3/10 for pain? But the run felt good. I'll have to accept it.)
    3/11 - REST
    3/12 - 3 miles - running

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I had to go and take a look for my pace. When I'm running during the week and doing 5 - 10 miles it was (before I was hurt) between 10:15 and 10:45 depending on where I was running. I've only run one 10K and that pace was 9:37, my 5K pace is usually around 9:20 - 9:32 again depending on the course.

@sonicdeathmonkey80 love the spreadsheet I'm going to make myself one. It's interesting to see this information.

@ddmom0811 you'll do great this weekend, you are ready and will kill it. Enjoy the time with your daughter.

@_nikkiwolf_ @stoshew71 thank you - I'm so happy to be feeling better. I'm amazed to go from "no running you need back surgery" to 8+ miles in a month.

@zombiebrandy0112 you are welcome, I'm so happy to hear you did 4 pain free miles. I thought about this last night too. My daughter's trainer at school also told her while she was rehabing to jog 1 lap around the track and then walk 1 lap backwards, then jog 2 laps, then walk 1 lap backwards. She hated to do it because she said it looked so funny (you know the football players were out there LOL), but she said it helped to stretch the tendon and felt great.

Going to take a rest day today and hope the rain holds off for my daughter's soccer game tonight. She's pumped up for this game, cross town rival and during practice last night she scored 2 goals so she was in beast mode this morning. :smiling_imp: If you can imagine 5' 75 lbs in beast mode ha ha!!

Save yourself some time and go to www.runningahead.com

I copied and pasted the report into Excel. That site is kinda the be all, end all for running tracking. No BS, and as much [free] data gathering as you'll ever need.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    My training pace is 10:30-12:00 minutes per mile.
    My race pace is 10:30-12:00 minutes per mile.
    My all out sprint pace is 10:30-12:00 minutes per mile.
    My slow recovery pace is 10:30-12:00 minutes per mile.

lol
  • ekbarnes24
    ekbarnes24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Half on May 17th.... getting there! Glad to be outside again.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    csman49 wrote: »
    ok, count me in for 80km.
    March
    2nd - 10.01km
    3rd - 4.12km
    5th - 2.63

7th -
    run 1 - 5.6km
    run 2 - 5km

10th - 15km
    12th - 5km

exercise.png

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wow - this thread is hopping. How do you all keep up/manage it? I'd love some tips since I'm newer!

Here's my month, so far:
    3/1: 5.33 (treadmill) - about 9:30 min/mile pace
    3/2: Easy 3 - about 10 min/mile pace
    3/3: Hard 6 (done as intervals)
    3/4: Easy 3 - about 10 min/mile pace
    3/5: Tempo 5 - up to 8 min/mile pace
    3/6: Rest
    3/7: Hard 6 - 8:40 min/mile pace on hills
    3/8: Easy 9 - 11:20 min/mile pace on hills
    3/9: Easy 2 - 9:25 min/mile pace
    3/10: Easy 23 minutes - 10 min/mile pace, plus 6 intervals of 1 m b/w 8 - 8.5 on treadmill - total miles, 3
    3/11: Easy 2

TOTAL MILES: 44.33

I don't have a monthly mileage goal, but I'm guessing I'll end up topping 100 for March. Today I'll probably just do 1 or 2 miles, with rest days tomorrow & Sat. Sunday is my 5K and I'm getting nervous & excited!

After that race, I'll be moving onto a half marathon training cycle.

Who's training for a race here? What distance? Any time goals?

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Mar - Rest
    02-Mar - 3.16 run
    03-Mar - 2.17 run, 2.18 walk
    04-Mar - 2.59 run
    05-Mar - 2.16 run, 2.11 walk
    06-Mar - surgery
    07-, 08-, 09-, 10-Mar - recuperation
    11-Mar - 1.24 walk
    12-Mar - 2.19 walk (so far)

Slowing getting back into it - prob not running for another week or so... but gotta get some miles in!

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Save yourself some time and go to www.runningahead.com

I copied and pasted the report into Excel. That site is kinda the be all, end all for running tracking. No BS, and as much [free] data gathering as you'll ever need.

thanks!

@arussell134 I'm training for a HM in mid April, just coming back from an injury so I'm trying to do both at the same time. Since this is my first half my goal is to run the whole thing and I would be tickled to be sub 2:30, but anything would be a PR. I had zero doubts about finishing and doing a better time until I got hurt.

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    1/3 - 0
    2/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    3/3 - 0
    4/3 - 0
    5/3 - 10 miles (treadmill and wow was this boring)
    6/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    7/3 - 7.5 miles (outside, yay for weekends)
    8/3 - 13.25 miles (outside)
    9/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    10/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)
    11/3 - Rest day.
    12/3 - 5 miles (treadmill)

Total: 55.75miles
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @johnsonnelly‌ my average pace is currently 10-12. I'm still indulging in walk breaks. My average running pace is just under 10.