March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    5.1 miles to add........43.9 done..........26.1 to do.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Who's training for a race here? What distance? Any time goals?
    I don't do a lot of races... but I'm thinking about doing a 30K trail race the first week of May and possibly a 50K in the fall.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for those videos, Stowshew71. I foam rolled my calves quite a bit yesterday but they are really tight today and the calves and shins video was very helpful. I am not sure if trying to change my foot strike is the best thing for me. I am only 4'9" with very short legs so my stride is fairly short anyway. I feel like I do more of a shuffle than anything. I have a 10k coming up in May and I am nervous about hurting myself before then so I will probably hold off on messing with my form until after then.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Right now I'm casually running- but I've started plans with my bestie in NC to have a race between us in VA to do in mid summer (seriously- why JUNE WHY!!!). So I'm slowly working my way up to mentally prep for that.
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    March 1: 5 miles Tread mill
    March 2: 5 miles ™
    March 3: 2 miles ™ + strength
    March 4: 5 miles ™ no runners high today
    March 5: Rest
    March 6: 5.5 miles ™
    March 7: skied with the kids at Gunstock
    March 8: nothing
    March 9: 7.75 miles OUTSIDE!
    March 10: Pump
    March 11: Nada
    March 12: 5.3 Miles OUTSIDE! woo hoo, so dam hilly and windy, but felt great :-)
    exercise.png
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka.... I saw this and immediately thought of you...
    p43j69raahk2.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I'm currently on a sharp taper for a target HM (Heart Mini), 15 Mar, and shooting for 1:29. After that, I'm racing Carmel Marathon on 18 Apr, aimingfor 3:20.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka.... I saw this and immediately thought of you...
    p43j69raahk2.jpg

I want need one of those so badly it isn't even funny.
  • cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    01/03- rest sick
    02/03- rest still sick
    03/03- 3.6 miles TM
    04/03- 3.74 miles TM
    05/03- 3.84 miles TM
    06/03- 4.08 miles TM
    07/03- 1.4 miles OUTSIDE 3.7 TM
    08/03- rest day
    09/03- 1.5 miles TM
    10/03- 4.25 miles outside on a trail
    11/03- 2.7 miles trail
    12/03- 4.32 miles road

BEST RUN YET! I figured that outside I would struggle more. I was WAY wrong. Better pace, I don't get so hot. I know I know....feel free to insert all of your 'I told you so's' now. :blush:

exercise.png
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

I am currently rehabbing a knee injury, but I am training for a HM in April, a potential duathlon in April (3mi run + 16mi bike + 3mi run), a 10k in May, and a 10.2 miler in June. Time goals are all dependent on knee status and the safest pace I can sustain without risking injury.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options

I'm currently training for a marathon at the end of May (Goal is to qualify for Boston!). I'm also running a half at the end of April to figure out if that goal is doable (it should be).

I'm also registered for a trail 1/2 marathon in June, a trail marathon in July and a trail 50K in September.

Then I'm resting for a while :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow - this thread is hopping. How do you all keep up/manage it? I'd love some tips since I'm newer!

Here's my month, so far:
    3/1: 5.33 (treadmill) - about 9:30 min/mile pace
    3/2: Easy 3 - about 10 min/mile pace
    3/3: Hard 6 (done as intervals)
    3/4: Easy 3 - about 10 min/mile pace
    3/5: Tempo 5 - up to 8 min/mile pace
    3/6: Rest
    3/7: Hard 6 - 8:40 min/mile pace on hills
    3/8: Easy 9 - 11:20 min/mile pace on hills
    3/9: Easy 2 - 9:25 min/mile pace
    3/10: Easy 23 minutes - 10 min/mile pace, plus 6 intervals of 1 m b/w 8 - 8.5 on treadmill - total miles, 3
    3/11: Easy 2

TOTAL MILES: 44.33

I don't have a monthly mileage goal, but I'm guessing I'll end up topping 100 for March. Today I'll probably just do 1 or 2 miles, with rest days tomorrow & Sat. Sunday is my 5K and I'm getting nervous & excited!

After that race, I'll be moving onto a half marathon training cycle.

Go into the group (1st post in this thread at the bottom shows the link) and then take a look at Running Related Sites and references. Also look at the Discussions below it. I and others posted lots of good info in the discussions.

I have 4 Half Marathons on back to back to back to back weekends starting in Knoxville on the 29th of this month with Sonic. I keep my full race schedule is in my profile. Most of them will be used as fun long runs (not racing them), but my feature race is the Bridgestreet one (the same one CodeMonkey and skippygirlsmom mentions above) which is local and relatively flat compared to the others. But running the first one with Sonic may redefine what is called a "fun training run".

• Stoshew71
    edited March 2015
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    @briebee7‌
    I didn't see your Saturday run til just now- Holy Cannoli, that's a lot of climbing! Literally 5x the elevation of a "hilly" run around here! Was that trail running or pavement?
    Also, sorry about your fall, that's brutal. Hope it heals quickly!

Unrelated to running: I had no idea it was "holy cannoli." I've said sqwamoli, cammolies ... not having any idea what that means but not wanting to be left out (it's a fun thing to say), lol. Thank you for the education today. :)

Holy Cannoli is what Phil Rizzuto always said (Yankee shortstop from the 40's and 50's then announced Yankee games for Channel 11 WPIX). That and "Holy Cow".

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank the random runners coming my way as I approached the Hill of Doom (0.3ish mi at an 8% grade).

I had been contemplating running a couple of repeats at the end of my usual woods loop but probably wouldn't have done it ... except "... people are coming. Must.be.bada$$ in front of people." So, I ran it twice (with no audience - they don't care about me), and then ran on back to the gym. My bada$$ *kitten* will be sore tomorrow, lol! But my pride is intact.

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    who would like to give me hill advice. I just cant concure them. is there a way to run up hill (like lean in, eyes down) or something that im missing? i usually end up just power walking up them. my marathon is in june and its in hilly seattle. I would like to jog up at least half of them :(

ps. i am the worlds slowest runner (a jogger actually) 12-12.5 min miler.

OK, I saw this in my email and thought of this question:

It's from Coach "Jeff Gaudette" <jeff@runnersconnect.net>

Whether you encounter hills in training or on the race course, fighting gravity can quickly become an epic struggle both mentally and physically.
    However, running hills doesn’t have to ruin your workout or race.
    By maintaining proper form and executing a smart strategy as you run up and over them, you can actually turn hill running into a strength you can capitalize on.
    In this email, I am going to teach you some simple form tweaks that can save you energy and help you breeze up and over hills with greater ease.
    Likewise, I’ll share the secret to attacking hills during a race so you can maintain pace and stay on track to reach your goal time.

Running Form on Hills

Running uphill and downhill require some slight tweaks to your form to maximize your power and efficiency as well as provide you much needed oxygen.

Many magazines and training partners will give you pointers on proper form, but it’s important you are able to properly visualize the tips, or you could end up doing more harm than good.

Here are my form suggestions and a visual for how to implement them.

how-to-run-uphill.png

Running uphill
    (1) The most critical element is that you keep your chest up and open. The most common advice you might have received is to “lean into the hill”. Unfortunately, this causes many runners to hunch at the waist to lean forward. This constricts your airway and makes it harder to breathe deeply. You do need to lean forward, but make sure you lean at the hips, not the waist.

(2) Keep your head and eyes up, looking about 30 meters in front of you. Dropping your head restricts how much oxygen you can take in and will cause you to slouch. Likewise, drive your arms straight forward and back and use them as pistons. Your arms should form a 90-degree angle at the elbow, and swing straight back and forth, not across your body.

(3) Focus on driving your knee off the hill, not into the hill like you might do if you maintained your normal knee drive. Work on landing on the ball of your foot to spring up the hill.

(4) Plantar flex your foot at the ankle – plantar flexion is when you point your toes towards the ground. Think of yourself exploding off your ankle and using that last bit of power to propel you up the hill with minimal energy expenditure. Focusing on plantar flexion can save you a lot of energy and really help you get up the hill faster and with less energy.

Downhill running

(1) Just like when running uphill, you want to have a slight lean forward at the hips to take advantage of the downhill. Don’t overdo the lean, you just need a slight tilt to benefit from gravity.

Keep your arms relaxed and only slightly moving forward and back. Don’t flail them to the sides, this will waste energy. Likewise, keep your head up and your eyes looking forward.

(2) You want to land with your foot either right beneath your torso or just slightly in front of your pelvis, depending on the grade of the downhill (the steeper the grade, the more likely your foot is to land out in front). Extending your leg too much will cause you to land on your heel, which will act like a breaking motion. Focus on landing towards your midfoot to maintain speed while staying in control.

(3) Your stride length should naturally be extended when running downhill. However, you shouldn’t need to consciously increase your stride length. The pace and the grade of the hill will do this naturally for you.

Pacing During Hilly Races

Tackling hills during races or even important workouts can be daunting. It’s easy to ruin your race by wasting too much energy grinding up a hill or lose big chunks of time by slowing the pace too much.

To handle hills effectively in races, learn to run up and down them by effort, not pace.

When you approach the base of a hill, you should already have a good feel for the effort you’re maintaining to keep the pace you need. Meaning, if you’re running goal race pace already, you should already know what that pace “feels” like. So, when you begin to ascend up the hill, focus on maintaining the same effort.

Obviously, your actual pace will slow, even though you’re running the same effort (don’t worry, you’ll make it up on the downhill). The exact time you’ll “lose” on the uphill will be a function of the steepness and length of the hill.

Now, when you crest the hill and begin the descent, simply maintain the same effort that it took to run your goal pace before you began up the hill.

Contrary to running uphill, this effort will now make your actual pace faster than goal pace. For the most part, this will largely negate most of the time you lost going uphill and you’ll reach the bottom still on target

The secret behind this strategy is that by maintaining a consistent effort, you won’t lose crucial energy pushing either up or down the hill.

Therefore, instead of becoming an energy sapping obstacle, the hill will be just another bump in the road and you’ll be able to maintain your pace and stay strong over the remainder of the course.

By improving your form and implementing this simple strategy, you’ll be able to conquer hills of all lengths and inclines.

Try these tweaks out on your next run. I guarantee they will help!

Coach Jeff

• briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I would like to thank the random runners coming my way as I approached the Hill of Doom (0.3ish mi at an 8% grade).

I had been contemplating running a couple of repeats at the end of my usual woods loop but probably wouldn't have done it ... except "... people are coming. Must.be.bada$$ in front of people." So, I ran it twice (with no audience - they don't care about me), and then ran on back to the gym. My bada$$ *kitten* will be sore tomorrow, lol! But my pride is intact.

exercise.png

This is hysterical. I did a similar thing last night on my run. I did a 2 mile run over to a hill I planned on doing a few repeats up. I turned the corner to the hill and there was a class from the local JC there just starting their workout - hill repeats! I ended up doing my repeats harder than intended and was feeling it on my easy run this morning. lol!

Date... Miles... Total
    3/1... 3.5... 3.5
    3/2... 6... 9.5
    3/3... 6... 15.5
    3/4... 6.5... 22
    3/7... 20.5... 42.5 (5100 ft elevation gain)
    3/10... 6.. 48.5
    3/11... 5.75... 54.25
    3/12... 5... 59.25

Total 59.25/160 goal
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thought this might be of interest to some. I'm reminded to take my rest days...

http://m.runnersworld.com/health/the-10-laws-of-injury-prevention
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Thought this might be of interest to some. I'm reminded to take my rest days...

http://m.runnersworld.com/health/the-10-laws-of-injury-prevention

It's funny that you post this now.. Today is my scheduled running rest day, LOL!
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @akirkman86 - I am still paying around with what combo of food. I don't have any set formula except "don't eat of a deficit" and try to avoid overly fatty or spicy foods the day before. I know others have a prefered meal plan for the 1-2 days leading up though

@skippygirlsmom - congrats on getting cleared from PT! It is grea to have a PT that understands your desire to get right back out there.

@cooter_mom - your excitement is awesome! Welcome to outdoor running. :)

@ddmom0811 - Enjoy your 10K! Are you running the entire way with your daughter or are you both doing your own pace?

@arussell134 - Best of luck on your 5K.

I am training for a marathon in April. It wil be my 1st in over 12 years (and my 2nd ever). I purposely chose a hilly course though to take the "racing mentality" our of it. I want to enjoy it as much as possible and will most likely never run one again. ;)

After that I have a trail 1/2 marathon in June. And am looking for a 1/2 to do in the August range. I have a goal in mind that will be faster than I have run since havign kids but entirely doable.
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Goal 60
    Date Miles Total Miles to go
    March 3.....3.4...........3.4...........56.6
    March 4.....2.0...........5.4...........54.6
    March 5.....6.2..........11.6..........48.4
    March 7.....1.4..........13.0..........47.0
    March 9.....3.0..........16.0..........44.0
    March 10...4.0..........20.0..........40.0
    March 11...5.0..........25.0..........35.0