Fifty plus (or so) support group

Options

Replies

• CountryOutback
    CountryOutback Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello all ....I've just turned 56 and have decided that I could use to get more healthy. I quit smoking 2 years ago (which feels like yesterday) and have gradually put on a little weight. I'm being realistic and only want to loose 15 pounds, but no matter how I eat, I stay at the same weight. I'm now trying Chris Powell's 7 day Carb Cycling. For me, this is difficult because I love carbs; Italian bread and sweets. M-M-M-M-M-. Giving up these things is as hard as quiting smoking! I've read that when you're just 10-20 pounds overweight it is harder to loose. I have a very sedentary job, so I have been using my stationary bike for 30 minutes every day and doing a 15 minute morning "workout". Any advice?

• PegJens
    PegJens Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    She changed can't to don't. She can eat whatever she wants, but she doesn't — because she just doesn't eat certain foods anymore. Taken in part from Tory Johnson, Good Morning America. I like this analogy, I think I will adopt it!
  • PegJens
    Options
    Welcome Sami, and Peg I broke out my flip flops today! Going to be 58 here today and I was so ready. Let spring begin :)

We got the motorcycle out! Went for a quick trip to get fresh gas mixed in with the old! Now I remember why I want to lose weight, okay 1 of the reasons! Bring on spring!
  • PegJens
    Options
    Mick1127 wrote: »
    The weather has finally broken, the cold is gone (hopefully until next winter), and the sun is shining. I expect I will take the convertible out of hibernation today. My motto is: If it's 40° and the sun is shining then the top is down. Well, it's 51° out right now. I started this journey on 12/27/14 and am down 23 lbs. to 193+. My original goal was 190 by April 1st; but, I've determined I want to get to 180. Assuming I make it by the end of April, I will consider going on down to 170 - what I weighed when I got out of boot camp in 1966. The real purpose of this weight loss is to regain the golf game (what little game I had, anyway) I've lost over the past few years. FORE!!!

I tried that game once...it's not my thing! But love the exercise you get with walking the courses!
  • butbygrace206
    butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone. Was excited to see new people post and posts from the "oldies" :). If I had a convertible it would've been down, but settled for the open sunroof.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday fellow losers :) it's been a crazy week and I'm ready for the weekend..... I want to thank one of our friends for messaging me to make sure I was okay since I've been MIA the past several days :D. That's what this group is all about!

Rest assured I'm on track... I've just been racing the forecasted rain which started last night and focused my attention on getting some outside painting done, cleaning and staining decks and doing massive yard work on the house I'm intending to get on the market :s. Now back to the inside until the rain subsides LOL...... The kitchen is turning out gorgeous! I also found GREAT tile for the master shower. So excited to get going on those final projects and wrap up painting the woodwork :D

Thanks so much PegJens for continuing to post our exercises and your contagious motivation despite dealing with your mom! My own went through breast cancer three years ago, so I know the trials and am keeping you in my thoughts, but like me I'm happy you have your sister at your side :) And of course our friends Butbygrace and Standenvernet for being a driving force behind us all!

I am so happy to see all the new postings and such great support amongst everyone! I have to get reading to catch up on everyone!

Have a GREAT evening ❤

Tami
  • ReallyBetty
    ReallyBetty Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone! It's Really Betty here. I'm 56, and down about 25# since the end of Jan. on a VLCD. I've researched quite a bit and recently (last 6 days) set my daily macronutrient goals to 15% carbs, 36% fat and 55% protein. I weigh in on Friday so I will let you know how this past week has worked.
    MFP has helped me focus on staying accountable & with balancing my macronutrients. My fiancé and family have encouraged and supported me. My Catholic faith has sustained me. God lets me know I'm worthy of being unconditionally loved, getting healthy and being joyful.
    I pray we can Live each moment so that regardless of what happens in this moment, (we) I choose to use it for strengthening the next.
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    PegJens wrote: »
    I tried that game once...it's not my thing! But love the exercise you get with walking the courses!

I wish I could walk the course; but, at my age and living on an insulin pump, I just can't do it. Nonetheless, MFP's data base shows a typical round (4 hours) of golf burns off about 1200 calories. If I can get rid of 1200 calories and 5 strokes I'll be a happy old man. :D
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    Morning everyone... Just doing a quick drive by on my way out the door. I got up early and watched a couple blender fitness videos while I had my morning coffee. The 15 minute HIIT looks a little out of my element, so back to the beginner level even though the videos are closer to an hour, but I suppose I can stop and restart in the evening. Maybe tomorrow I'll even join in ;) HAHAHA

Welcome Country, Betty and Mick (that's as far back as I've been able to read this morning :s) My dad, brother and oldest son are big into golf. It's never really caught my attention for long term, but it sure is good exercise! Must say Mick my dad looks real sharp rolling in with his clubs in the back of his convertible too :)

Hey ladies I'm also doing low carb. I'm definitely an Italian pasta, bread and sweets lover too :D I'm down 18 since the holidays when my macros were 25%carbs, 35%fat and 40%protein. Now I'm approaching the final 10 lbs so my doctor moved me to 30% carbs, 35%fats and 35%protein... Which is where I'll need to live forever dang it. But it's been pretty easy to keep up with and I focus first on protein and veggies and build the rest around it. At first it was tough to hit around 100 gm of protein a day, but I've still been able to have one bread and a serving of rice, pasta or potatoes every day if I want and have plenty of room for a fruit and tons of veg. I'm doing my best to just engrain this as my new forever lifestyle :)

Gotta run (actually I'm walking to the old house this morning o:)) and hoping to reach 15000 steps today. Have a GREAT day ❤

Tami

• butbygrace206
    Options
    . I got up early and watched a couple blender fitness videos while I had my morning coffee.

Okay, I had a good laugh :)
  • sylviajackson23
    sylviajackson23 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Sylvia
    I am 53 new to MFP I have lost 6 1/2 stone with Celebrity Slim now looking to lose another stone with eating health been doing CS with MFP on and off for last 12 months but it hasn't worked out so now doing it with no carbs as CS is a no carb diet. Don't want to go back to carbs as I know now I don't knew them.
    Can someone please help with how I set it up at start of MFP APP
    Hope you have a fab weekend ☺
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    Hi my name is Sylvia
    I am 53 new to MFP I have lost 6 1/2 stone with Celebrity Slim now looking to lose another stone with eating health been doing CS with MFP on and off for last 12 months but it hasn't worked out so now doing it with no carbs as CS is a no carb diet. Don't want to go back to carbs as I know now I don't knew them.

Welcome ! Under the "community" there is a forum called getting started. In that forum there is a post called " step by step ". It tells you how to get started. I'm new to this also and still are learning new things it does every day.
    Have a great day
  • sylviajackson23
    Options
    Hi my name is Sylvia

Welcome ! Under the "community" there is a forum called getting started. In that forum there is a post called " step by step ". It tells you how to get started. I'm new to this also and still are learning new things it does every day.
    Have a great day

• sylviajackson23
    Options
    Thank you butbygrace206
    I will go have a look now see if I can work it out my computer down at mo so see if I can do it on mobile ☺
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    Hi Sylvia~ on your mobile phone click on Goals. You should be able to insert your current weight, goal weight, I think they ask for a goal timeline and how many pounds a week you want to lose from 0.5 to 2.0.....

It will do a calculation for you on daily calories to meet that goal, and give you a macro breakdown for % of carbs, fats and protein. Since you are doing the no/low carb... Be aware they auto set to some mostly huge carb number, so you need to reset those 3 macros for what your plan recommends.

Let us know if you need more help :D

Tami
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    57 and have a huge goal to meet, but, my first small step is to lose the weight I regained -62. I had lost 93 but because I tried to eat like everyone else, I regained 31lbs. Lesson learned and I restarted my journey and have lost a little over 5 lbs in 2 weeks. This is a great place for support.
  • sylviajackson23
    Options
    Hi Sylvia~ on your mobile phone click on Goals. You should be able to insert your current weight, goal weight, I think they ask for a goal timeline and how many pounds a week you want to lose from 0.5 to 2.0.....

It will do a calculation for you on daily calories to meet that goal, and give you a macro breakdown for % of carbs, fats and protein. Since you are doing the no/low carb... Be aware they auto set to some mostly huge carb number, so you need to reset those 3 macros for what your plan recommends.

Let us know if you need more help :D

Tami

• sylviajackson23
    Options
    Thanks Sandcastles61
    I have been and done it all apart from macros as don't know what to set them too as they are very high and if I put carb to 10 it won't set cos it says I am under 100%
  • Sandcastles61
    Options
    I initially set mine for 25%carbs, 35% fats and 40%protein.... Which put me at about 100 g Protein a day and 50~60g or so carbs with the balance fats. My doctor had me move them last week to 30%carbs, 35%fats and 35%protein with an increase in calories because that's where he wants me to stay percentage wise for my future. They just need to equal 100% between the three :D
  • julieyeaman26
    Options
    Hi, 55 here I'm desperate to lose about 3st. And would be very interested in joining all of you please add me