Is Pizza Fast Food?

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie. 2 or 3 slices of pizza and a few stouts will cleanse you right up.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Last night for me was 5 slices of awesome pizza and two 22oz Dopplebocks...

I was fairly well cleaned out by late morning ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Last night for me was 5 slices of awesome pizza and two 22oz Dopplebocks...

I was fairly well cleaned out by late morning ;)

I made my own Sunday night and slaughtered the whole thing....1400 calories of awesome
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Right now I want to, in this order, consume:

Some *kitten*, overly-oily ceasar salad with a lagunitas IPA
    About 15 crazy-*kitten*-spicy buffalo wings with bleu cheese and two blind pig IPAs
    Four slices of Zachary's deep dish (sausage and mushroom, pesto, pepperoni and mushroom, and crazy combo) while killing a pint of Anchor Steam and a pint of Sierra Nevada pale ale.

And after I've shat my brains out, probably do a big chewy cookie or something.

Reality: sauteed kale, salmon filet and a baked potato with a glass of chardonnay. I mean, it's good, but FML anyway.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I am still waiting on the "athlete diet"....

I've been to dinner with plenty of athletes, their diet is pretty consistent with anyone elses. (I know you know that, but it's funny when someone plays that card)

I know a certain endurance athlete on these forums who eats a bunch of stuff that people would say "athletes" do not eat...but he does....

You should see the threads on the dedicated triathlon forums (not MFP). There are plenty of "how the hell do I get enough calories for all this?"

The answer inevitably is stuff like "drink beer", "eat peanut butter and nutella from the jar", etc.

We have found a recipe for Nutella cheesecake. My MIL is making for my husband and I after a half this Sunday. Neither of us are seriously athletic runners, but I'm in it to live a little.

The pizza place a block from me has a nutella and strawberry pizza. Methinks I will be stopping in on my way home from work...

psekO3Bh.jpg
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    slow cooked dominos with pepperoni, sausage, three kinds of cheeses ....

slow cooked dominos with white sauce and vegies.

yeah one is different than the other.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »

yea, that was not my question..

I said dominos (same toppings) vs another place (same toppings) slow cooked...and I am not talking taste.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I would really like a lovely thin crust pizza... Going to get for dinner tonight i think!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Certainly not the same, but I'm curious which you think is better from a healthy eating perspective.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Certainly not the same, but I'm curious which you think is better from a healthy eating perspective.

same toppings, same calories...the answer is neither, or negligible...

unless you are saying that the vegetable toppings at dominos are less nutritious then somewhere else?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options

unless you are saying that the vegetable toppings at dominos are less nutritious then somewhere else?

I wasn't saying anything. I was asking a question about 2 very different pizzas.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I saying anything. I was asking a question about 2 very different pizzas.

if you go back and read the poster I was replying to that was not what we were discussing.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

if you go back and read the poster I was replying to that was not what we were discussing.

Yes, but she seems to be implying that one is healthier than the other. I'm also confused as to which because one has veggies (many people consider this "healthier"), but also has white sauce which many people would consider "not as healthy". It's an odd comparison because I don't see the clear winner in the healthy category that she seems to be implying (which is entirely separate from the point you're making).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I ate pizza for lunch today. It was leftovers. It was still good.

That is all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Yes, but she seems to be implying that one is healthier than the other. I'm also confused as to which because one has veggies (many people consider this "healthier"), but also has white sauce which many people would consider "not as healthy". It's an odd comparison because I don't see the clear winner in the healthy category that she seems to be implying (which is entirely separate from the point you're making).

Exaclty my thought. Both are going to be high in fat and calories - one from creamy cheese sauce, the other from meat and cheese. Both are from Domino's so crusts would likely be equal. Veggie toppings are good for micronutrients. Meat toppings are good for protein.

I don't see a clear winner from any of the usual healthy eating doctrines.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Pizza can be fast food, it can be very unhealthy OR it can be slow cooked in a brick oven with spectacular fresh ingredients that may be high in calorie but constitutes a meal in and of itself.

so slow cooked good; dominos bad?

if I have dominios with the exact same ingredients as the brick over, which is "bad" and which is"good"...

The one that tastes better.

Which is usually not Domino's. ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Pizza can be fast food, it can be very unhealthy OR it can be slow cooked in a brick oven with spectacular fresh ingredients that may be high in calorie but constitutes a meal in and of itself.

Who slow cooks pizza? Every recipe I've seen is cooked pretty quickly at a high temp, regardless of oven type.

Well because then that becomes "fast" food and thus "bad", of course

right so:

> 10 minutes = fast = bad
    < 10 minutes = slow cooked= good

I am glad we have the mathematical equation down now...

Yes.

And now we have established conclusively that seared tuna is fast food.
  • whitecloud987
    whitecloud987 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It depends on the ingredients. My friend bought a couple of Dominos pizzas. one was chicken with some kind of sweet sauce and the other was salami. Now the salami would have had nitrite preservatives in it, really proven bad for your arteries, the chicken would have been battery chicken meaning damaged dangerous fats and god knows what the sauce contained. So in this case, yes, these pizzas were junk food. An organic pizza with no nitrates or home made is great nutritionally and healthy. If you can make it with Wholemeal flour then that's proper health.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It depends on the ingredients. My friend bought a couple of Dominos pizzas. one was chicken with some kind of sweet sauce and the other was salami. Now the salami would have had nitrite preservatives in it, really proven bad for your arteries, the chicken would have been battery chicken meaning damaged dangerous fats and god knows what the sauce contained. So in this case, yes, these pizzas were junk food. An organic pizza with no nitrates or home made is great nutritionally and healthy. If you can make it with Wholemeal flour then that's proper health.

What's battery chicken?

mike-myers-gets-some-pizza-hut-in-waynes-world.gif