Is Pizza Fast Food?

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It depends on the ingredients. My friend bought a couple of Dominos pizzas. one was chicken with some kind of sweet sauce and the other was salami. Now the salami would have had nitrite preservatives in it, really proven bad for your arteries, the chicken would have been battery chicken meaning damaged dangerous fats and god knows what the sauce contained. So in this case, yes, these pizzas were junk food. An organic pizza with no nitrates or home made is great nutritionally and healthy. If you can make it with Wholemeal flour then that's proper health.
    At what dosage?
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If I avoid nitrates, how will I get my super powers?
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Now the salami would have had nitrite preservatives in it, really proven bad for your arteries, the chicken would have been battery chicken meaning damaged dangerous fats and god knows what the sauce contained.

1) Please provide proof of the nitrite == bad for arteries claim.
    2) What is battery chicken? Is that like chicken coated with battery acid? In which case I agree that is probably bad for you
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I have to assume many of the folks who are saying pizza is definitely fast food, or it's not worth the calories, must live somewhere that they simply don't have access to a freshly made pizza! My brother lived in a suburb of Syracuse for awhile, and the only place he could find an "edible" slice of pizza was a gas station off the road he lived on. He has also lived in Pennsylvania and now northern Virginia and is still looking for a decent slice!

When he comes back to visit us on Long Island (a suburb of NYC) we always have pizza at least once and he drives home with a bag of still warm bagels.

To me, Dominos is to Pizzeria pizza what a McD hamburger is to a homemade burger on the grill. It's not bad, but it's not really even the same thing, it's just something to eat...

Edited to add: I am SO now getting a pie for dinner tomorrow!

What?! Syracuse has great pizza! Pavones! I moved go SC and there wasn't any pizza here for years until some New Yorkers moved here and opened up shop. Whenever I go home to Syracuse (Lakeland/Solvay) I drive out to Pavones in Fayetteville. I'm planning on going to get myself a 12" bbq chicken pizza Monday. I should have saved this thread for that day. I want it now!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    laurielima wrote: »
    slow cooked dominos with pepperoni, sausage, three kinds of cheeses ....

slow cooked dominos with white sauce and vegies.

yeah one is different than the other.

Certainly not the same, but I'm curious which you think is better from a healthy eating perspective.

same toppings, same calories...the answer is neither, or negligible...

unless you are saying that the vegetable toppings at dominos are less nutritious then somewhere else?

I saying anything. I was asking a question about 2 very different pizzas.

if you go back and read the poster I was replying to that was not what we were discussing.

Yes, but she seems to be implying that one is healthier than the other. I'm also confused as to which because one has veggies (many people consider this "healthier"), but also has white sauce which many people would consider "not as healthy". It's an odd comparison because I don't see the clear winner in the healthy category that she seems to be implying (which is entirely separate from the point you're making).

Exaclty my thought. Both are going to be high in fat and calories - one from creamy cheese sauce, the other from meat and cheese. Both are from Domino's so crusts would likely be equal. Veggie toppings are good for micronutrients. Meat toppings are good for protein.

I don't see a clear winner from any of the usual healthy eating doctrines.

i know this is hard for you to do..but go back and actually read what I asked the poster and you will understand my question ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    It depends on the ingredients. My friend bought a couple of Dominos pizzas. one was chicken with some kind of sweet sauce and the other was salami. Now the salami would have had nitrite preservatives in it, really proven bad for your arteries, the chicken would have been battery chicken meaning damaged dangerous fats and god knows what the sauce contained. So in this case, yes, these pizzas were junk food. An organic pizza with no nitrates or home made is great nutritionally and healthy. If you can make it with Wholemeal flour then that's proper health.

What's battery chicken?

mike-myers-gets-some-pizza-hut-in-waynes-world.gif

chicken dipped in batteries????
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Battery chickens are factory farmed chickens. It's what they call them in the UK. It refers to battery cages where they can't move.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    slow cooked dominos with pepperoni, sausage, three kinds of cheeses ....

slow cooked dominos with white sauce and vegies.

yeah one is different than the other.

Certainly not the same, but I'm curious which you think is better from a healthy eating perspective.

same toppings, same calories...the answer is neither, or negligible...

unless you are saying that the vegetable toppings at dominos are less nutritious then somewhere else?

I saying anything. I was asking a question about 2 very different pizzas.

if you go back and read the poster I was replying to that was not what we were discussing.

Yes, but she seems to be implying that one is healthier than the other. I'm also confused as to which because one has veggies (many people consider this "healthier"), but also has white sauce which many people would consider "not as healthy". It's an odd comparison because I don't see the clear winner in the healthy category that she seems to be implying (which is entirely separate from the point you're making).

Exaclty my thought. Both are going to be high in fat and calories - one from creamy cheese sauce, the other from meat and cheese. Both are from Domino's so crusts would likely be equal. Veggie toppings are good for micronutrients. Meat toppings are good for protein.

I don't see a clear winner from any of the usual healthy eating doctrines.
    There's plenty of micronutrients in various meats and cheeses and god forbid a pizza contains both meat and veg.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Pizza can be fast food, it can be very unhealthy OR it can be slow cooked in a brick oven with spectacular fresh ingredients that may be high in calorie but constitutes a meal in and of itself.

Who slow cooks pizza? Every recipe I've seen is cooked pretty quickly at a high temp, regardless of oven type.

Neopolitan pizza is always cooked quickly. I guess that makes it the most evil pizza of all.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    4homer wrote: »
    I really want pizza with a side of fries now.

My 12yo son has been known to order this.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I am still waiting on the "athlete diet"....

I've been to dinner with plenty of athletes, their diet is pretty consistent with anyone elses. (I know you know that, but it's funny when someone plays that card)

Believe it or not my friends have no idea what "diet" I follow. They don't care. And I never ever bother them.

Classy people don't preach others about unnecessary stuff. Your athlete friends whom you went on dinner seem to be classy and elegant.

Nice.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    However, the food was/is high sodium/calorie, and convenient. So some see that as fast food.

Like so many on this site, this thread has been an eye-opener for me. I had no idea so many people judged "fast food" based on nutritional content. I'd always thought it had to do with speed.

I have come to that place in my life where I judge food based on
    1) Fuel + Hunger
    2) Nutrition + Hunger
    3) Taste + Hunger

I consider myself an athlete and I eat like one.

Sorry but I have to get going so if you respond to me and if you don't hear back for sometime that would be because I've gone offline. It's going to be crazy busy weekend. Spring Fever and the never ending to do list ;)

So then, wouldn't you really not think about fast food? You would judge food based on your personal ranking system, so why even bother considering if pizza is fast food or not since you don't care about the speed in which it was created?

Is that your definition about fast food.?
    Because it ain't mine.
    End of conversation with you.
    BTW if you have intentions to try to bait me or harass me by quoting my comments any further , I highly recommend - don't.
    Of all the responses you got in this thread (and others), you flip out on me? Ok...

@auddii - I'll try again and one last time. This is 2nd time, right in this thread, you have accused me of things I didn't do or didn't say.

1st
    1) Go back and show me where I ever mentioned in this entire thread fast food for me is all about speed. I have defined what it means to me and if you wanna know you'll have to read through my earlier comments. I'm not going to repeat it to every person on this thread.

2) I flipped at you - You have no idea what my emotions were when I wrote the comment. Believe it or not this was my very nice and polite way of letting you know that if at all you are trying to bait me. Do not.

I honestly expected you say "I wasn't playing any games with you". If I were you and if anyone would have thought I was "harassing" them and if I wasn't, I would have made it very, very clear those aren't my intentions.

Definitely not said "you are flipping at me"....

But I guess we all react differently.

Peace. Happy St Patty's Day
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd consider it fast food. Unless it's homemade, of course.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I had a personal size Gluten free veggie pizza for lunch. Loved it!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »

I haven't had a gluten free pizza yet- what do they make the crust out of?
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

From the taste I believe they use ingredients similar to Bob's Red Mill; whole grain brown rice flour, potato starch, whole grain millet flour, whole grain sorghum flour, tapioca flour, potato flour, cane sugar, xanthan gum, active dry yeast, sea salt, guar gum.

I'd rather have regular pizza, but can't due to Celiacs disease.
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I consider it fast food.
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like making my own pizza. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like making my own sometimes too, but I don't fool myself that I have the tools to make it like they can at a restaurant.

For those who claim it's fast food, does that mean everything else from a restaurant that serves pizza (say, http://toccochicago.com, for just one of many examples) also is fast food (I'm sure many of these restaurants will be confused, as fast food is a marketing category and that's not how they are generally marketed, but whatever), or does the customer determine whether the restaurant is fast food or not based on what's ordered as the main dish?

So confusing!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

From the taste I believe they use ingredients similar to Bob's Red Mill; whole grain brown rice flour, potato starch, whole grain millet flour, whole grain sorghum flour, tapioca flour, potato flour, cane sugar, xanthan gum, active dry yeast, sea salt, guar gum.

I'd rather have regular pizza, but can't due to Celiacs disease.

Sorry to hear about the Celiacs :/ . But thanks for the ingredient list. I have a couple of friends who prefer the gluten free pizza, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.